Recommendation For A H.u.t.d. Change That Will Make It Easier For 'solo' Pilots To Coordinate Attacks, Along With A Tutorial On How To Use It.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

Recommendation for a H.U.T.D. (Heads Up Targeting Display) change that will make it easier for 'solo' pilots to coordinate attacks, along with a tutorial on how to use it.

Recommendation: ADD THE NUMBER OF FRIENDLY TEAMMATES CURRENTLY TARGETING ENEMY MECHS (TOT: Teammates On Target) TO THE H.U.T.D (Head Up Targeting Display).

An example of the H.U.T.D. as it is in the game right now...

Posted Image

An example of the H.U.T.D with suggested change implemented; In this example a team of 12 has their attention divided between two mechs "A: Commando" (2 teammates on target) and "B: Cicada" (10 teammates on target)...

Posted Image

Why make this change (What is the benefit)?:

There are many reasons why a 12 man unit will 'pug stomp' a 12 group made up of pugs, but the single largest advantage a TEAM (using voice communications) has over the group of pugs is the ability to focus fire AS A TEAM.

To put this simply: FOCUS FIRE IS THE MOST OVER POWERED WEAPON IN THE GAME!

The benefit to adding the number of friendly teammates currently targeting enemy mechs to the H.U.T.D is:

It will SIGNIFICANTLY help level the playing field between the 'have' (pilots in a unit, using voice communications to coordinate focus fire) and the 'have not' (pilots not in a unit, not using voice communications and have no way of easily knowing who is shooting what).

The accompanying "FOCUS FIRE" tutorial

Design a tutorial that teaches...

1) The benefits of using Focus Fire
2) The mechanics of the added "Number of Teammates on Target" (ToT Number) to the H.U.T.D

- how to target enemy mech (Use of "R" Key)
- how to "See the field" (Use of "Q" Key)
- explanation of what the ToT Number represents on the H.U.T.D

To "PASS" the "Focus Fire" tutorial the student will be required to identify (using "R" and "Q" keys) and kill a specified amount of enemy mechs with the highest ToT Number.

Questions? Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions for improvement?

Edited by Armando, 12 June 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:31 AM

An interesting idea, and one that does not require people be smart enough to spend 15 bucks on a microphone headset (a headset, Clanner scum! No one wants to listen to your game feed back into the audio.) Not sure it required so much illustration, but I think it's worthwhile.

However, you should probably ask for new features in the New Features section, even if it does include an Academy tutorial.

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:34 AM

Not entirely against it it, but...
... you have a minor logic flaw, the assumtion that PUGs actually do press "R".

#4 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

View PostLOADED, on 12 June 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

Not entirely against it it, but...
... you have a minor logic flaw, the assumption that PUGs actually do press "R".

Updated Original Post to include instruction on the use of both "R" (see an enemy) and "Q" (see everyone: friend and foe) in the tutorial.

#5 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:23 AM

Good idea and one that should be simple to implement.

#6 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 12 June 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

Good idea and one that should be simple to implement.

I have two passions...."computer engineering" (the design and implementation of Servers, the application / code that reside on them, as well as the network that connects them) and "art". The one thing both have in common is the use of the K.I.S.S (Keep it Simple, Stupid) principle.

It is my thought/hope that this suggestion follows the K.I.S.S. principle.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

I dig this suggestion/feature. Where do I send money? ;)

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

Great suggestion. Im all for it.. however, please note that many use this advanced controlling method to control their big stompy gundamrobots... however the designers for got to add an R button... they do have A, B, X and Y though.

Spoiler

#9 W00DSTER

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

more hud clutter :/

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

I like it but I'm not sure it's beneficial, yes, it helps people combine fire for easy kills but at the same time they'll lose situational awareness.

Maybe an indicator to just say other team-mates are targeting this 'mech, not how many. That way it puts greater emphasis on deciding whether to attack or watching for other targets.

#11 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 June 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

I like it but I'm not sure it's beneficial, yes, it helps people combine fire for easy kills but at the same time they'll lose situational awareness.

Maybe an indicator to just say other team-mates are targeting this 'mech, not how many. That way it puts greater emphasis on deciding whether to attack or watching for other targets.

Alright, quick lesson for you.

Above every enemy mech there is a red triangle...if the red triangle is empty it denotes that the mech has no one from your team targeting it. If the red triangle is filled red (solid red) it denotes that at least one person from your team is targeting the mech (every time you target a mech the triangle will go solid red, if it wasn't already; if a teammates is not already targeting said mech).

So, the mechanic already exists in game to show that other teammates are targeting a mech.

The recommendation in this post, will allow for people not on a team, and not using voice communication, to see how many teammates have a mech targeted. Again, biggest difference between a unit and a solo player is communication and focus fire. PGI can close the 'focus fire' gap by implementing this suggestion along with a tutorial on how to use the new feature.

Edited by Armando, 15 June 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostArmando, on 15 June 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Alright, quick lesson for you.

Above every enemy mech there is a red triangle...if the red triangle is empty it denotes that the mech has no one from your team targeting it. If the red triangle is filled red (solid red) it denotes that at least one person from your team is targeting the mech (every time you target a mech the triangle will go solid red, if it wasn't already; if a teammates is not already targeting said mech).

So, the mechanic already exists in game to show that other teammates are targeting a mech.

Well, now I feel like an idiot. I'm so used to seeing them empty I was in the mindset that empty was detected and solid was because I had it targeted. The more you know...

I still feel it would detract from situation awareness though. "10 locks! Lets get 'im!" and off they go into a murder pit.

#13 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:43 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 June 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Well, now I feel like an idiot. I'm so used to seeing them empty I was in the mindset that empty was detected and solid was because I had it targeted. The more you know...

I still feel it would detract from situation awareness though. "10 locks! Lets get 'im!" and off they go into a murder pit.

Nah. Have a teammate who pays attention to that as an indicator of how well our team is focusing fire. The fewer of the enemy doritos that are filled-in red, the better we're doing at focusing on the same one target like we should. If you see eight triangles and they're ALL filled, you're about to get ROFLstomped.

#14 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

Not your fault, that's because:

View PostLOADED, on 12 June 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

... you have a minor logic flaw, the assumtion that PUGs actually do press "R".

#15 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

An "Idiot"? Far from it.

Uninformed.....join the club, there are so very, Very, VERY many things that people 'should' know, but do not. Lack of easy to access BASIC information makes this game harder than it could/should be for even veteran pilots....let alone 'new' ones.

#16 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Awesome idea! How about drawing the number of players with a lock directly on the filled-in dorito?

\ / \|||/ \|2|/ \|3|/ \|4|/ ...

#17 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

The problem isn't that we lack the tools to coordinate attacks, the problem is pugs by nature refuse to use teamwork. They won't target mechs, even when asked, insist on firing blindly at opponents, even when said opponent is well within targeting range, they love to run in front of friendly firing lines, and then ***** when they inevitably get shot in the back by the guy whose aim they just blocked off, and if someone is carrying LRMs and is in a position to provide fire support, there are brawlers who flat out refuse to spot for them even though it's beneficial to them both. (missile boat gets a solid lock, and brawler gets a steady rain of fire support.) Even after being in overwhelmingly losing battles where they were utterly ***** by coordinated fire and missile support, they act like they're the only person on the team that matters. And don't get me started on the pugs who jump on a wall and camp there, refusing to move to assist their team while they get decimated because they got flanked in the direction they were asked to cover.

On the battlefield, teamwork is OP, ego and personal glory worthless.

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

I'd argue that PART of the reason PUGs suck at teamwork, is that they don't understand HOW to work as a team in MWO as new players. Either they eventually LEARN, or they're casual or occasional players, in most cases. And there are a few who live to troll, or who are strong individual spirits, or who can't get anyone to work with them for sake of their toxic personalities.

But yeah, a solid 75-80% WILL follow orders, and even take some initiative, once they understand HOW.

And that underscores the need for a proper TUTORIAL.

#19 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 23 June 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

I'd argue that PART of the reason PUGs suck at teamwork, is that they don't understand HOW to work as a team in MWO as new players. Either they eventually LEARN, or they're casual or occasional players, in most cases. And there are a few who live to troll, or who are strong individual spirits, or who can't get anyone to work with them for sake of their toxic personalities.

But yeah, a solid 75-80% WILL follow orders, and even take some initiative, once they understand HOW.

And that underscores the need for a proper TUTORIAL.

I am never alone, and even when I drop 'solo'... I frequently (not always, but often) use MWO VoIP to inform my teammates of available targets, their location, as well as weak spots ("Kilo Nova in Charlie Six with a weak CT"; "Bravo Mist Lynx behind us in Echo Eight ... go legs on Bravo Mist Lynx"; etc.). Your numbers are solid by my experience...75-80% sounds right (maybe a little low).

The issue with that....I can only be in one drop at a time.

Drop Callers (good ones) are few and far between for many Units....for most freelancer / solo faction pilots they are things of legend.

Having "Focus Targets", their location, along with their weaknesses piped into your speakers/headset can be 'useful'...'game changing' might also apply for many.

For a long time I have wanted more "Faction Warfare" tutorials / lessons, but the more I think about it I think the community might be better served with a tutorial on how to "Call" enemy targets / locations / weaknesses using in-game VoIP.

Note: There is a major and serious difference between "Drop Calling" and "Drop COMMANDING".

Drop Calling:

The "DC" is not 'chosen' by all the people on the team. The DC uses VoIP to give useful information, the DC is not 'in charge', the DC doesn't give 'commands'. You can't heard cats ('solo pilots') and to try is errand for fools, but you CAN give them useful information....if they use that information, or ignore that information is on them.

Drop Commanding:

The DC is chosen/assigned by the team to 'command' them. The DC uses VoIP before the match to ensure that everyone is prepared for the drop BEFORE they 'Ready Up"...this includes making sure the team has their drop decks loaded/saved, with the 'drop deck' loaded out to the DC's wishes, with modules, etc, etc, etc.

During countdown the DC will arrange the Lances by weight, putting the heaviest (slowest) mechs in the Lance closest to the 'soon to be called' Rally-Point. (Good Drop commanders know they maps, and know what lance spawns where on attack and defense for every map, and they know how to leverage that knowledge).

Once the 'Planet slice" (Map) is known, and while arranging the Lances by weight, the DC will "Call the Play" starting with a Rally-Point then continuing with "The Play" that will be executed...

"Rally in G5, once we are all together we will move to and open Gamma Gate, when the gate pops we will take out the turret while hugging the left wall with our guns facing right. Our priority is on turrets, then Mechs until all turrets are down. Respawners are to regroup in G5...do NOT reinforce"

As soon as a target(s) become available, gears shift from 'command' to 'calling', it is all about the focus target(s), their locations, their weaknesses unit all turrets, all mechs, are down then continue to 'call' unit your first wave is dead. If you die...let the team know and assign a lance lead calling duty unit you respawn. The moment you respawn take over calling duty while moving to the rally point.

Call the next "Play", rinse and repeat until there are 48 dead mechs on the other team, pop Gens, pop Omega, collect bank, move on to the next drop.

Now that you know the difference between drop calling (providing useful information) and drop commanding (leading pilots who want to be lead)....DON'T try to Drop "Command" (give 'orders') a Pick Up Group, DO use VoIP to 'Call" (give useful information).

^^^^^^^^^^^Or something like that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by Armando, 23 June 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#20 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostHornsby, on 21 June 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

Awesome idea! How about drawing the number of players with a lock directly on the filled-in dorito?

\ / \|||/ \|2|/ \|3|/ \|4|/ ...

How about "thank you" for a suggestion that would make the idea presented exponentially more awesome?

!!! - \\\Thank You/// - !!!

Edited by Armando, 23 June 2016 - 07:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users