44 replies to this topic

#1 Freeman 52

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 154 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

It is not the best IS medium by far, and some say its frontal profile is suicidal. But I just love my Trebs, and I wonder if anyone else does given that I barely see any on quickplay these days.

My two favorite builds right now (no smurfy links, sorry):

Loup de Guerre with 2xSRM6 2xSRM4 2xMPL, 4JJ, 300XL. More a blunt instrument than a scalpel, surprisingly effective as an ambush brawler and for scouting-protect. Great moneymaker.

7K with 2xAC5 1xERPPC, 275XL. 50% sniper and 50% in-your-face direct fire support. 100% fun.

For LRMs I love the 7M champion build. I think it is one of the most reliable medium LRM boats.

Do you have any killer builds for this forgotten mech?

Posted Image

#2 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

My go to mech when I'm in a slump

It's not much good for FW, but I still run it in Quick Play.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

I'm currently wrapping up leveling them. Since I pretty much don't LRM, this 7M brawler served me fairly well, I prefered it to any LG config I came up with and I simply adore the 5J (5+ KDR, going to be a PUG favorite of mine I think).

#4 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

All hail the mighty Trenchbucket!

Digging trenches and lobbing missles from them since 2780!

#5 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

When the rescale occurs, I'll probably pick one up to try it out.

#6 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

Yay Trebs!

I bought the standard-engine Trebs on sale during the winter firesale, when I was scraping the bottom of my c-bills.

I run Terc's 5J build, more or less. On the 5N, I run 3 LPL. I find success in the LPL Treb more satisfying, but then I haven't "clicked" with the 5J yet.

I've got all three through basics, but I'm thinking about how I want to tinker with the 7K. I basiced it out with an AC10 and 2LL. I had more fun with it that way, but while it had the best feel, I don't think it's the One True Build™. The variant is versatile enough to get a reasonable amount of build variety from it though. :)

Further Trebs are subject to mechbay availabilty. I spent all my MC on a Black Widow. Worth it, but leaves me in the lurch when the next mechbay sale hits.

#7 Freeman 52

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 154 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 13 June 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

On the 5N, I run 3 LPL.

I have 3xLPL in my Blackjack BJ-3 and Thunderbolt TDR-9SE. Any reason why you would pick a TBT 5N over them? I am just asking as someone who tries to avoid having the same build in too many mechs.

Edited by Freeman 52, 13 June 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#8 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

Just good fun! Yup! A good fun mech! :)

#9 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

View PostFreeman 52, on 13 June 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

I have 3xLPL in my Blackjack BJ-3 and Thunderbolt TDR-9SE. Any reason why you would pick a TBT 5N over them? I am just asking as someone who tries to avoid having the same build in too many mechs.

No, and yes.

No, because I'd probably reliably choose to run either of those other two with it, presented with a flat multiple choice. In fact, I'd have the QKD-4G, WVR-6K, ENF-4R, and even the CPLT-C1 (srsly, with a big standard) in there too. Treb and Wolvie are the only ones in the list with no JJ.

Yes (sort of), because it's just the best build for the variant (in my judgement), it's one of three I've got, and I prefer to level them with mech xp rather than gxp.

Yes (for sake of argument), if I wanted to run it on something on a fully-articulated right arm (yay convergence!), decent quirks, and at 50 tons. The ENF-4R is lefty (not a problem for me, but it's how it's built) and feels like it runs hotter, but the TBT-5N's plenty toasty too.

On the WVR and ENF (both can go arm-mounted only, though ENF is a lefty and can split with the left torso, like a QKD does on the right), both feel like the arm mounts are situated higher. QKD's are split, but definitely higher.

So, is that combo worth it, over the other choices? Probably not, though it does capably well. I honestly I'd like it much better if the mounts didn't feel so low. They hang vertically in a line when mounted, and the lowest one is awfully low.

But, as some will testify, sometimes the urge to optimize is too strong to resist. I think the LPL build is more optimally combat effective than the alternatives, and I find "effective" to be more fun when the alternative builds are all underwhelming on a given variant :)

Edited by Virlutris, 13 June 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#10 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

Treb 7k jack hammer build. 2 AC5 2 ML 5t ammo xl275. No additional heatsinks.

Great mech, I like to run up on assaults and get on their right arm and do the circle dance holding the ACs in their side torso until it comes off. No problem keeping pace with their turn.

#11 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

I used to drive Trebuchet in a distant past* (before JJ nerfs and "Phoenix" mechs) and from what I remember my three favorite were:

TBT-3C "The Troll-Bucket" for doing just that on conquest, or base rushing larger maps while on assault.

TBT-5J "Guillotine", because weapons load-out mimicked Guillotine

TBT-7M "___" no name. good all around medium mech for the time* (circa 2012 - 2013_ish).

P.S. if anyone is feeling brave, you can give this a try TBT-7M variant 2

Edited by Neput Z34, 13 June 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#12 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

TBT-7M - lurms!, not something I usually do. The build is a calculated mix of speed, ammunition and the realization that the quirks are pretty damn good for LRM 10's. I tried SRM bombing with the chassis but found it dissatisifying. Alternate build = drop a ton of ammo, get FF upgrade and up the engine.

LOUP DE GUERRE - SRM bomber!, I was running around with normal SRM 6's and a bigger engine, much fun, but not accurate enough. It's no Griffin though, but fun.

Edited by Nullmancer, 13 June 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#13 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:36 PM

my treb 7m has 1 erppc. 1 JJ and 3 srm4.

most fun mech in the game.

and the best part is the front profile is not suicidal. at all. not even close.
if you're using the jumpjets (i only use 1 even) it's hard for someone to hit you flush in any component

#14 Freeman 52

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 154 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:10 AM

Lots of great builds! Thanks, everyone.

There seems to be a pattern to Trebs: speed and non-boating loadout. Definitely less useful for CW and probably not comp, but good "annoying" mechs for quickplay.

#15 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:30 AM

Why are the so many variants of this mech in the game? wtf lol. For someone looking to play this mech, what are the ones to get (assuming I'm not getting the hero)? If you were to describe the strengths and weaknesses of each variant in one or two sentences, how would you?

When I look at picking variants, there are a couple different situations I usually run into:

-There are 3 variants that can be specialized to do very different things, and it's worth holding on to all of them.

-The variants are pretty much the same, and the differences are pretty minute, so buy three, basic em, and pick one to master.

-There is only one variant that is even good or playable. The rest are trash. So get the good one, and get two other ones. Plow through the crap variant basics and get rid of em ASAP.

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 14 June 2016 - 02:32 AM.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 14 June 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

Why are the so many variants of this mech in the game? wtf lol. For someone looking to play this mech, what are the ones to get (assuming I'm not getting the hero)? If you were to describe the strengths and weaknesses of each variant in one or two sentences, how would you?

When I look at picking variants, there are a couple different situations I usually run into:

-There are 3 variants that can be specialized to do very different things, and it's worth holding on to all of them.

-The variants are pretty much the same, and the differences are pretty minute, so buy three, basic em, and pick one to master.

-There is only one variant that is even good or playable. The rest are trash. So get the good one, and get two other ones. Plow through the crap variant basics and get rid of em ASAP.

A lot of the early mechs have a lot of variants. 7M, 5J and pick em IMO.

#17 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:18 AM

View PostNullmancer, on 13 June 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

TBT-7M - lurms!, not something I usually do. The build is a calculated mix of speed, ammunition and the realization that the quirks are pretty damn good for LRM 10's. I tried SRM bombing with the chassis but found it dissatisifying. Alternate build = drop a ton of ammo, get FF upgrade and up the engine.

LOUP DE GUERRE - SRM bomber!, I was running around with normal SRM 6's and a bigger engine, much fun, but not accurate enough. It's no Griffin though, but fun.

sadly the quirks on 7m are not for lrm10 but rather lrm15...

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 14 June 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

honestly - i only bought the 7m on it's own and it's great. i don't think i even need elite... my mech is basic'd out and it's doing pretty good. i think the trick for me is to use 1 JJ and the hill climb module. then i SPAM the spacebar key and keep zigzaggin left and right like a snow skier. you would think the ct is a big target but when i die i usually get one leg destroyed.
this is my build but of course most people would prefer PPC to erppc.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d938b8258053a37

with the 1 JJ and hill climb you can climb anywhere basically. it's like having climbing gear. and that's how i make my escapes.

it also lets me zig zag or just jump up in the air when gettin shot and usually it will be enough to spread dmg or avoid gettin shot

if i were you i would only get the treb with jumpjets. cause the torso is pretty big for just walking around

EDIT: lol! i left the stock engine in the link! i replaced with a way bigger engine. and fixed the link.

Edited by Mazzyplz, 14 June 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:46 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 14 June 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

sadly the quirks on 7m are not for lrm10 but rather lrm15...

Read them again. The only 15-specific quirk is 5% cool down. 25% cool down on 10s spits missiles faster (and tighter) than 30% on 15s. Used to be very 15-focused, but not any more. If I was gonna LRM on it, I'd almost certainly go with a pair of Artemis 10s.

#19 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

I hope these gentle giants get some love with the resealing. Their size has always kept me from getting into them.

Is it wrong I want to squeeze an AC20 and some SRMs onto the 7k? (is that even realistic, though?

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

View PostRaso, on 14 June 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

I hope these gentle giants get some love with the resealing. Their size has always kept me from getting into them.

Is it wrong I want to squeeze an AC20 and some SRMs onto the 7k? (is that even realistic, though?

No, not really, because you have to use a STD engine to fit a 20 in the torso. So, like a HBK, you pretty much can only fit a couple of backup lasers once you have the 20&ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users