17 replies to this topic

#1 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Once the new skill tree(s) are released, will you be selling any mechs?

I have a couple I am not fond of, rarely use, blah blah, but I dont know if I will sell them off.
PGI may change them or some of the weapons they can carry.

Yes, they maybe some of last ones I 'skill up', but doubtful if I sell

How about you?

#2 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:15 AM

No idea, If what they do is bad i'll quite happily go play something else!

Plenty of interesting games out there , I only come back now and then anyway to see 'the state of the game'.

I am never dissappointed at where they have gone backwards or just simply not moved on an issue.

The pleasent surprise is that they implemented a suggestion from last year or maybe even further back .. using all maps for CW! However the mode itself is still broken to an extent , But it always will be so long as there are balance issues. And balance issues still are not being addressed!

PGI have always had a problem though with thinking things through.....

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

I will probably sell two EBJ variants. They neither have, nor need, any quirks, which means there is zero difference in flavor among them.

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

All depends on how the quirks work. For nstance, how much of a difference will there be between a Warhawk C and Warhawk Prime? If the 8/8 system disappears, then there porbably won't be a major difference, and I'll sell off one of them. But if they stay quirked to a large enough degree for it to be noticeable, I'll keep them.

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:24 AM

"porbably"

That misspelling made me giggle, kappa.

#6 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:24 AM

I already keep only a single variant per chassis, so it won't change much for me.

#7 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 December 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

"porbably"

That misspelling made me giggle, kappa.

Typing on a phone at 4 AM. Bleeeeeech.

#8 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:06 AM

I am not thinking about what I am going to do once SkillTree 1.0 has arrived, until I know exactly what it looks like . Decisions only once its live .

Edited by Besh, 25 December 2016 - 03:06 AM.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:15 AM

I bought tons of mechbays during sale so there will be no pressing need for me to sell any current mechs. But if I am gonna sell, I will be selling IS mechs first.

#10 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:40 AM

I'm not going to sell any mechs, I grinded to hard for chassises I wanted just to throw away. Also depending how the new skill tree comes out I may put some chassis in the stripped garage for a long time.

#11 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

I used sell off underperformers (half the time regretting it later), and keeping them at a horrible KDA ratio as a result when getting into the swing of things. Wasn't the best of ideas, that, but, live and learn.

Now, well even with these upcoming Skill Tree changes, I'm more likely to keep the Variants, and just outfit them with a specifc loadout so I don't need to constantly rebuild, especially with the Omnis. The problem in part, though is if it -is- per variant with a locked tree once done (and expensive to shift over)... if you're using a single variant with multiple loadouts, you actually -want- to keep extra variants on hand. Otherwise you may be stuck with a suboptimal tree for the loadout you're using. Something I noticed, really, it's less of a hard "3 or no elite for you", and more "have more than one variant if you want specialized trees that fit the mech properly". That makes stacking a single variant perhaps not the best idea (and may cause problems with certain mechs I own). Could see selling stuff as a result of that, assuming the Skill Trees really don't end up a being one mono-path that really will be the best bet.

If tonnages is still being retained for FW in the future (assuming it keeps halfway rolling), I tend to keep hold of those in a good tonnage spot to load up a deck anyhow in the 240 ton bracket, because it has flipped back and forth for Clan and IS so much, may as well play it safe. The others that won't be seeing multiples, usually keep 2 unless it can do more fun or good loadouts.

The kicker is though, is the skill tree per variant, or per -mech-? I believe it's the former that was confirmed? That still leaves the "one tree to rule them all" issue that may crop up as a problem for folks expecting to only keep one and be set.

Edited by Moebius Pi, 25 December 2016 - 04:53 AM.

#12 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:32 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 December 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

All depends on how the quirks work. For nstance, how much of a difference will there be between a Warhawk C and Warhawk Prime? If the 8/8 system disappears, then there porbably won't be a major difference, and I'll sell off one of them. But if they stay quirked to a large enough degree for it to be noticeable, I'll keep them.

It may be wisest to hold onto extra clan variants until a few months after the skill tree's release. PGI will very probably change the base quirks and skill tree values a few times after.

#13 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:41 AM

Unfortunately I bought 20 more Mech Bays before I realised what they were doing.

So I don't really have a need to sell any of my 237 Mechs. If/when I run out of Mech Bays I'll start selling Mechs.

The main benefit for me is that I won't have to buy 3 variants of a chassis any more. If I buy any, it'll just be the 'best' variant.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:52 AM

At one point I sold off most of my mechs (71 at the time) because I thought CW was going to be an immersive game mode wherein their would be value to specializing. Obviously I was an idiot and ended up buying most of them back because pokemech and the fact that what is effective in this game changes depending on how the latest game of balance darts goes at PGI. Subsequently, I found mechs I liked and reasons for buying them, and shortly thereafter, in EVERY case, PGI did something to the game to make me utterly regret not just selling mechs, but buying them as well.

Example:
7 Black Jacks, all but the newest loyalty variant were acquired before the brief period when they had the structure of a heavy, but they were all used in CW drop decks. After the high and low of the great nerfenings there is no reason for more than maybe 2 of these. But who knows what the future will hold?
6 Crabs (yup) also all unique and used for various CW maps and modes. Hows the old laser vomit meta these days? Gone, but not forgotten. Well, that's just great.
6 Griffins including 3 2Ns which I bought back when ECM was more useful and some folks wanted them brought in CW. ECM? What's that even for anymore?
7 Cataphracts including 3 0xps, for the same reason as the Griffins. Yeah, that awesome ECM really makes up for a mech having 4E and 1B hardpoints all at hip level. Not.

13 Quickdraws. All unique, except two IV-4s with the same build. All were used in CW back when IS tonnage was 240 tons. How often has that changed since May of 2015? To add insult they nerfed the non-hero's twice since rescale.

The point?: This game and its ever changing mechanics, meta, modes, and even the very motivation for playing (faction? planets? rewards?) makes it impossible to plan for the future, but makes regretting what you did in the past a f..king inevitability.

When the new skills tree comes down (and I will bet a mech pack or ten that it will not be the same as what they showed at mechcon) you would be a fool to use that mechanic as the basis for making a decision to sell off mechs. I guarantee within 6 months of it dropping the new tree will be revised/redone/tweeked or maybe even dumped while PGI reviews "data" reassesses game play results, or even throws some more god damn darts, to determine the best way to make whatever I have as useless as possible, and tries to milk us into buing more stuff to take advantage of their latest effort at "development".

#15 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:10 AM

Since the Skill Tre seems to lock in your skills points and thus does not allow customisations without respec for mc/cbills.

I for one will keep all my variants and use them as ... different builds (especially clans).

Like for EBJ:
1. UAC10 dakka
2. Laser Vomit
3. Gauss Sniper

Thus require 3 variants.

In fact, if the skills are locked to the specific mech, we might start to need to buy multiple same mechs variants for IS for different builds if we do not want to constantly respec.

In fact, we might start to need EVEN more Mech Bays. A scary thought.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 25 December 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#16 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

That's an interesting question. I guess you're looking at convenience vs. time spent grinding, right? For instance, it makes sense to work the two Huntsman heroes with the 30% C-Bill boost and play those exclusively. Why play / grind something without a C-Bill boost on it, right? If I want to mix it up I can hit the Mech Lab.

It will all hinge on what they do with the overall grind and how long it takes to get to the full skill point allotment. If the grind is sub 100 games, then I can see keeping everything. If they go bonkers with the grind and it turns into some 400 game sh!t-show, then yeah... I'll be selling off some stock.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 25 December 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#17 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:01 AM

I might be selling some rarely used mechs in order to buy some not-yet-played ones..

Also, I rarely play more than one variant of a particular chassis, so most of them I won't need..

I may only keep Timberwolves, Hellbringers and Executioners.. the rest of my mastered mechs are not needed..

Edited by Vellron2005, 27 December 2016 - 03:01 AM.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:42 AM

it was stated that each instance of a mech could in fact be speced out in different ways. so if you sell a mech, and buy it back, thats a new instance and you dont get anything back. you probibly loose all progress as a result.

i hope they refund xp on sold mechs, mostly because i spent a lot of time mastering every mech in the game and i dont want to have to do it again.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 December 2016 - 04:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users