17 replies to this topic

#1 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

Imo, Terra is a great map, the issue is that caldera.
It's like a magnet, everybody must be inside or....stuck at the entrances.
Instead the map is very large and full of cover.

What about erasing that caldera and putting a lava lake in that point?

We should see a lot of movement, rather than "everybody there"

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 15 June 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

no, I like the caldera it's fine, but I see you like to have a more nascar map agin :troll_face:

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 June 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#3 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

terra therma conquest Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Terra Therma is the best map. Whoever has balls and goes inside wins. Whoever doesn't have balls and gets stuck at the entraces loses. Simple.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 June 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

Terra Therma is the best map. Whoever has balls and goes inside wins. Whoever doesn't have balls and gets stuck at the entraces loses. Simple.

we had plenty of games where we crushed the caldera party by flankign ti from multiple entrances. Generally Terra therma can eb a lot of fun but people prefer colde rmaps becasue they want to pew pew hard.

#6 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

The problem is the gundonium cables that catch/block all manner of firepower! Please remove those!

#7 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:42 AM

the problem is lack of willingness to try something else. on Terra Therma Skirmish, who said you have to push inside? On Assault?
You don't need to, but yet players tend to do the same thing over and over again. If someone calls for something else, it usually ends in a mess, because half of the team is unwilling to try and runs off to the center again... it's not a flaw in map design... It's what the players make of it

#8 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 15 June 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

no, I like the caldera it's fine, but I see you like to have a more nascar map agin :troll_face:

:D
Well, at least we would see something different.

#intothecalderaasapOP
#stopintotheentranceOP

View PostDanjo San, on 17 June 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

the problem is lack of willingness to try something else. on Terra Therma Skirmish, who said you have to push inside? On Assault?
You don't need to, but yet players tend to do the same thing over and over again. If someone calls for something else, it usually ends in a mess, because half of the team is unwilling to try and runs off to the center again... it's not a flaw in map design... It's what the players make of it

That's absolutely true.
But soloque is what it is.....

#9 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostAlienized, on 15 June 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

terra therma conquest Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

yup I think TT is the best conquest map- you have to fight somewhere other than the caldera or you lose to caps.

#10 Gladius Vittoris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

yea wow.... every drop is the same.

great immagination, uh?

#11 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostGladius Vittoris, on 01 July 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

yea wow.... every drop is the same.

great immagination, uh?

LOL. Thats true for every map, whats your point?

#12 Gladius Vittoris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 02 July 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

LOL. Thats true for every map, whats your point?

I think OP suggests to change TT main feature to change gameplay a bit, after years of always the same TT.

(also, LOL at you if you do the same stuff in a given map. As previously said, you must have a great immagination....)

#13 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:41 AM

View PostGladius Vittoris, on 02 July 2016 - 12:43 AM, said:

I think OP suggests to change TT main feature to change gameplay a bit, after years of always the same TT.

(also, LOL at you if you do the same stuff in a given map. As previously said, you must have a great immagination....)

Well I don't know how tier 3 plays, but there are certain people that are playing to win rather than just playing. If you want to win you have to do what is efficient, use strategies that work and lead to wins rather than herpaderp around the map. If you want to see it as lack of imagination then feel free.

Maps themselves have nothing to do with lack of diversity, because every game mode is skirmish mode, spawns are same there is literally only one thing that works every time on every map. You don't need to do anything to any map, you just have to make dynamic objectives that will force teams to spread and think on the fly and all maps will be played differently each time.

Right now TerraTherma is unique. What you want is to make it generic MWO map like any other, without any flavor, without any difference from other maps. We've already seen it happen to old maps, there is literally no difference between their new versions. There are no brawl oriented maps, no sniper oriented maps, and people wonder why "meta" is so dominant.

But whatever really. Any hope that PGI can get their s**t together and actually make anything half decent is long gone.

#14 Gladius Vittoris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 02 July 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

You don't need to do anything to any map, you just have to make dynamic objectives that will force teams to spread and think on the fly and all maps will be played differently each time.

Actually this would be a really awesome idea.

But sadly you added " Any hope that PGI can get their s**t together and actually make anything half decent is long gone".
Which I agree.... :(

#15 Bad Pun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

Imo, the caldera should be moved to the side of the map. It will still be an important feature, but it wouldn't be the *only* feature of the map. A nice, if hot, valley around it with ample cover split by lava flows and occasional flats of obsidian rock as another option for lighter mechs to have something to do rather than try to get some cheeky pokes at heavier mechs from/into that caldera.

#16 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

If it were up to me, I would alter the caldera to make it a sort of central transit hub for the map rather then a place where whole teams ball up and hold. A place you go to quickly move from one side of the map to the other instead of a spot to fight over.

Basically I would keep the 4 entrances, remove that wide ringed walkway and make a relatively narrow + shape walkway crisscrossing through the middle.

#17 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

How about instead of one big lava pit, it was broken up into, say, three smaller pits? Those could be used a cap locations in Conquest as well as tactical positions to fight over and from. There is a lot I like about Terra Therma. The heat issues are just a thing and play no role into whether I like the map or not. What I don't like is how it always devolves into a fight over the caldera even when the caldera plays no role in gaining a victory (for instance, in Assault). It makes game play dull and predictable. No matter how you slice it easily 95 matches out of a 100 are going to be decided over one stupid piece of terrain and the side fortunate to get better access to the good entrances. Three spaced out smaller calderas and replace the big center one with broken terrain like the rest of the map has would go a long way to make game play there interesting and less predictable.

#18 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

Absolutely spot on, I've had some really great matches in this map. Assault vs Terra Therma, just doesnt work.

It's actually perfect the way it is but please please add some exploding lava here and there to surprise people. Everyones avoiding it just because of the heat. I admit most of my mechs are geared towards heat, this map bites me but I really love it.

Just needs to be a bit more assault friendly with movement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users