15 replies to this topic

#1 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

Everything I find about quirks is based on specific builds for specific mechs.

What I'm hoping to find is a guide that just discusses quirks and how they affect what gear they're paired with.

For example, laser duration seems to determine whether you choose regular or pulse lasers. As in, with longer=prefer pulse and reduced=avoid pulse. Am I right?

Where can I read a concise thingy about that without having to pick it up from reading it here and there in specific build/variant discussions?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 18 June 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

Everything I find about quirks is based on specific builds for specific mechs.

What I'm hoping to find is a guide that just discusses quirks and how they affect what gear they're paired with.

I am not aware of any guide discussing this specifically

For example, laser duration seems to determine whether you choose regular or pulse lasers. As in, with longer=prefer pulse and reduced=avoid pulse. Am I right?

energy duration affects all energy weapons, laser duration only affects standard lasers, ER Laser would affect all ER Lasers, Pulse Laser duration would affect all Pulse Lasers.

many Mechs have multiple quirks, 1 for a weapon family, another for a specific weapon, e.g. 10% for energy weapons + 10% for Medium Laser would mean a Medium laser gets a 20% bonus, but Large Laser, Med Pulse or ER Med laser would only get the 10%, for being an energy weapon does this make sense to you?

Where can I read a concise thingy about that without having to pick it up from reading it here and there in specific build/variant discussions?

Thanks in advance!

I do not think there is a single concise source you will be able to find, however if you want to know something specific just ask, the people who frequent in new player help tend to be very helpful

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 18 June 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#3 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ght_innersphere

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

Having only Clan Mechs, I'm new to quirks also. About the only way I found is to go through each one at the Store.

View PostLadyDanams, on 18 June 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Dang it, i just looked there! Thanks!

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

I like snafets layout better than Smurfy's for quirks. As for what's good...man, that's largely an experience thing, I don't know of a guide but it's not a bad idea. Hmmm...

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 18 June 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

energy duration affects all energy weapons, laser duration only affects standard lasers, ER Laser would affect all ER Lasers, Pulse Laser duration would affect all Pulse Lasers.

I have never seen an energy duration.....
Smurfy doesn't show any listings.

It should be:
Laser duration affects all Laser weaponry of all types. (PPCs, ER PPCs and Flamers have no duration to modify and thus an "Energy" duration )
ER Laser duration only affects ER lasers.
Pulse Laser duration only affects pulse lasers.

PPC velocity (unless something changed) affects both PPCs and ER PPCs.
ER PPC velocity only affects ER PPCs (and one that is specific to ER PPCs is usually 'higher' than a general PPC velocity).

Ballistic velocity is general for ACs (used to affect PPCs but this has supposedly been fixed)
AC velocity (specifying a specific class of AC, UAC, or LBX) are specific to its corresponding name.
Clan LBX quirks should affect Clan ACs as the Clan AC is a placeholder for Clan LBX with switchable ammunition. But it doesn't.

Missile quirk is generic.
SRM is for SRM, LRM is for LRM, Streak SRM is for Streak SRM.... any specific numbers exclusively affect a launcher of that type and number.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

A generic guide is possible, but I am not so sure it is really needed. Quirks are pretty self-explanatory. A mech specific guide focusing on quirks would be a major pain in the butt, as quirks change ALL THE TIME. - on that note: do not chase quirks. Chase hardpoints and engine caps instead, those are constant.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 18 June 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

A generic guide is possible, but I am not so sure it is really needed. Quirks are pretty self-explanatory.

there is one which is not, Cooldown referees to weapon recharge/reload time, and in fact causes the Mech to heat up faster, I really wish PGI had chosen any name except cooldown for rate of fire.

I have seen more than 1 person asking why the cooldown stuff makes their Mech overheat faster

#9 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the input.

Are all quirks positive? As in, are they all buffs? None of them gimp the mech?

If so, then the reduced laser duration means all the damaged packed in a shorter duration (buff)? As opposed to reduced duration only giving you a fraction of the total damage (gimp)?

How much variation is there in the various numbers? I know, for example, there is -50% duration. Is there also -40%? -30% -17%

Ultimately, how would people rank quirks? Which are the most powerful/desirable? Which do not really have much of an impact?

Put another way, if you could assign your favorite mech a quirk that it doesn't have right now, which of the available quirks would you go for? Put another other way, If you could quirken your whole stable of mechs with one more, which would it be? Which would you not really want?

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 05 July 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

Thanks for all the input.

Are all quirks positive? As in, are they all buffs? None of them gimp the mech?

If so, then the reduced laser duration means all the damaged packed in a shorter duration (buff)? As opposed to reduced duration only giving you a fraction of the total damage (gimp)?

How much variation is there in the various numbers? I know, for example, there is -50% duration. Is there also -40%? -30% -17%

Ultimately, how would people rank quirks? Which are the most powerful/desirable? Which do not really have much of an impact?

Put another way, if you could assign your favorite mech a quirk that it doesn't have right now, which of the available quirks would you go for? Put another other way, If you could quirken your whole stable of mechs with one more, which would it be? Which would you not really want?

No, negative quirks do exist, however these days they are rather rare. Shortly after the introduction of quirks many of the best clan mechs received a lot of negative quirks as a method to bring clan mechs more in line with the Inner Sphere. However, earlier this year the vast majority of negative quirks from Clan Mechs disappeared.

There are DireWolf head omni pods that have a small negative to internal structure. Also there are a couple Timber Wolf omini pods that slightly reduce mobility.

Negative quirks are easy to spot because they are in red, where as positive quirks are all in green.

Hard to objectively rank quirks because they vary so much and the practical result they have on a mech varies a lot model by model.

Yes, laser duration means you get the entire damage of the weapon put out a X amount of time shorter.

The variation in the quirk values are all over the board. From just a couple percentile points up to 50%. Once upon a time PGI F'd up and gave a quick draw 1000% (yes, one THOUSAND percent) missile cooldown.) The B33f made a great video on this.

In a magical world where I could add my own quirks at will to my mechs... I would probably add 50% range to an IS mech that can boat large pulse lasers. Then I would just hang back and laugh my *** off. Or allow Clan mechs to fire a 3rd large pulse without ghost heat penalty.

Now for a cautionary tale:

DO NOT CHASE QUIRKS. They change ALL THE TIME. There is a fair list of mechs that were some of the top performers in the game due to quirks that are now almost NEVER seen in game because they lost a lot of their quirks.

#11 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 05 July 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

No, negative quirks do exist, however these days they are rather rare. Shortly after the introduction of quirks many of the best clan mechs received a lot of negative quirks as a method to bring clan mechs more in line with the Inner Sphere. However, earlier this year the vast majority of negative quirks from Clan Mechs disappeared.

There are DireWolf head omni pods that have a small negative to internal structure. Also there are a couple Timber Wolf omini pods that slightly reduce mobility.

Negative quirks are easy to spot because they are in red, where as positive quirks are all in green.

I want to add to Boogie's post that, at present moment, the negative quirks for the TBR-A and most neg quirks for the TBR-S go away if you use a complete set. This doesn't show up on Smurfy's--you'd only know if you looked up the chassis in-game.

Probably meant to penalize min/maxing omnipods without penalizing the base chassis.

(This is not the case for the DWF)

#12 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

Note to self: must not chase quirks!

What's really happening right now is quite the opposite. When I'm leveling mechs, I completely ignore quirks. Hard points permitting, I will run the same config on all three mechs. That way, when I get the daily on one, I'm already comfy with the setup when I switch to variant 2, and so on.

On the other hand, when you go to read build talk, you must be fluent in quirk to follow what people are talking about.

That's where I am in the great curve of my learning.

#13 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 05 July 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Note to self: must not chase quirks!

What's really happening right now is quite the opposite. When I'm leveling mechs, I completely ignore quirks. Hard points permitting, I will run the same config on all three mechs. That way, when I get the daily on one, I'm already comfy with the setup when I switch to variant 2, and so on.

On the other hand, when you go to read build talk, you must be fluent in quirk to follow what people are talking about.

That's where I am in the great curve of my learning.

Good approach as weapon hard points and their locations are probably more important UNLESS there are some very large. quirks.

Please note that large quirks can arise due to a combination of quirks so do not get caught out. However, large quirks are relatively rare and where available, are generally on mechs most people avoid due to bad hitboxes, hard points, etc.

#14 TD Skieth Hazen

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

I am an new player, looking into hero's mech to help make more c-bills if I get mine hands on an clan hero and alter one or 2 omnipods would I lose the 30% bonus or just the other quirks?

#15 Dirt Devil1

• PipPipPip
  • Major
  • Major
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCoquille, OR

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

You do not lose the 30% bonus if you change omnipods.

#16 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:36 PM

Hero CBill bonus and camo pattern are tied to the CT of omnimechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users