86 replies to this topic

#1 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

This is an interest check for rebooting my old thread, F is for Fanfic.

The last thread died in part due to me having a horrible job I hated that stole all my time and creativity. Now that I have a job I don't hate I'm inspired to give it the old college try again.

Same general concept. Down on their luck mercs trying to save the unit. A character driven story. Less combat more talky talk. Also, no D&D style "You are all in the same bar when the plot starts and you must learn to become friends and allies". Players are members of the merc unit with a history of being in the unit. No new comers. No "I joined after we got wrecked". You were there. You saw some shizz.

Blah blah blah.

This is an interest check, no promises.

#2 BSODomizer

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

I'd join. I've been looking for a real post-by-post MW RP for jeez like, six years?

So if there's like, maybe 5 people even it would be pretty legit.

#3 Julmust Jaeger

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

I am, as always, ready to teach the heathens that speed is life.

Edited by Julmust Jaeger, 20 June 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#4 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, England

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

Im in, Its been a few years since i wrote anything, but why not.

#5 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

I'm in

#6 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

Standing by, any thoughts on what era/setting?

#7 Julmust Jaeger

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

The only era that counts, the Succession Wars, 3028.

Edited by Julmust Jaeger, 21 June 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#8 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostJulmust Jaeger, on 21 June 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

The only era that counts, the Succession Wars, 3028.

Truer words have never been uttered. I am so interested. Same characters?

#9 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

Booo, I want just one RP where I can have a Bushwacker.

#10 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 21 June 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Truer words have never been uttered. I am so interested. Same characters?

Since you asked, the answer is a soft "Yes". People may submit the same Character Sheet if they so choose to. I'm going to be a little bit more choosy with characters this time because I want this to be successful and success starts in Character Creation.

Also, while we are on topic here are the rules for character creation.

1.) You must be a member of the New Musketeers Mercenary Command.

2.) You must have been a member during the ambush at Lahti. No new comers, no "oh I totally just missed this plot point so my mech and psyche are fine" stuff. I didn't care to much for it last time but I let it slide because I wanted players. This time I'm more of a stickler about it. Sorry if I'm a jerkface.

3.) The character may be from any Innersphere or Periphery faction or a born in the saddle merc (either with the Musketeer's or another unit) I would perfer people with Davion/Marik/or Lyran affiliations but if you can give me a good enough background for why you are a merc that's fine.

There are some exceptions to his rule. You may not play as someone affiliated with Comstar, Wolfs Dragoons, Snords Irregulars, the Clans, or the Minnesota Tribe. Just because FASA ruined battletech doesn't mean you get too also.

4.) You must be a mechwarrior.

5.) You may play any of the mech from TRO:3025, TRO:3025 Revised as long as it weighs no more than 85 tons. You may also choose from the Chameleon, Merlin, and Striker.

6.) A major focus on the story is coming to terms with the loss of life, leadership, and direction that the Black Warriors inflicted on the Unit and a fear of what may come next. At what level this effects your character I'll leave up to the player but I do expect there to be some emotions. After all. Its probs super hard to watch sixteen of your friends die.

7.) Charecter Sheet format is the old standard.

"Name:
Mech:
Gear:
Background:
Notes/Deep Background:"

#11 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

Here is the background information for the unit. More or less unchanged from the last edition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New Musketeers: All for one, Free-for-All

History:

Officially chartered in the year 2988 by then Captain Abigail Leclerc the founding of the mercenary unit New Musketeers was direct result of the Siege of Fletcher. Having served with the 42nd Avalon Hussars Abigail was dismayed by the flippant attitude the 42nd's Command staff had towards its light and medium mech assets which time and time again had been used to “tie up” the heavier battlemechs of the defending Cappellen forces so that the 42nd's compliment of heavy Marauder class battlemechs could deliver a “coup de grace”. While effective this tactic decimated the low weight lances of the 42nd causing the death of many fine mechwarriors when more passive tactics could have carried the day without such casualties. Disgusted with the senseless loss Abigail would eventually leave the Fedsun's military, taking her marauder and two lances of equally disenfranchised warriors with her.

Making their way to Galatea the newly established command was able to expand to a reinforced company of eighteen mechs before taking its first contract defending the Lyran back water world of Derf. Though a quite contract that lasted the better part of three years, the units time on Derf allowed them to train with the local miltia and hone themselves into an effective fighting force.
Following their time on Derf, the Musketörer accepted a contract with House Mairk that would have them hunting pirate bands. Though a profitable venture Leclerc wanted “more” for her unit than fighting the dregs of the periphery and choose not to renew the contract. Instead returning to garrison duty in lyran space while taking “side contracts” to raid the Draconis Combine's border worlds.

By 3015 the Musketeers had expanded greatly. A steady stream of recruits arriving from Federated Suns space as well as the “absorption” Sharpe's Longrifles, a company sized unit that was suffering finical problems following a tour of duty in the Magistracy of Canopus, had pushed the Musketeer to battalion strength.

In 3017 a tragic automobile accident claimed the life of Abigail Leclerc and two civilians. The death of the matronly commander shocked the unit and following her funeral, a military affair in Davion tastes, her son Reinhard took control of the unit. Following the death of his mother Reinhard took on a series of short objective raid contracts against the Cappellen Confederation. Though losses where minimal on these excursions it was readily apparent that the thirtyfive year old Reinhard lacked the tactical acumen of his parent.

Throughout the 3020's the Musketeer once rising star began to fall, Reinhard's ineffective leadership in the field sapped unit moral, with various company and even lance commanders at times countermanding his orders. Worse yet a heated argument with the head of the units Technical staff saw the majority of the expert support personal jump ship to Carson's Renegades, a friendly rival of the Musketeers, while the two units where stationed on the same world. Desperate to reestablish his “authority” Reinhard took a contract to defend the Mairk world of Lahti. With his command coheison rapidly disintegrating Reinhard launched several unsanctioned raids against worlds of the Circinian Federation in hopes of attracting favorable attention from the League High Command. Targeting the resource poor Circinian worlds did little to improve the fortunes of the unit, however it did draw the ire of the Circinian based Black Warriors an elite mech regiment of cuthroat raiders.

Attacking Lahti in force the Black Warriors intitally took severe losses as their lighter Commando and Hermes II equipped units were unable to stand against the superior fire power of the Musketeers. When one of the Musketeer's recon mechwarriors reported that he detecting unencrypted communications that signaled the location of the Black Warrior's drop ships Reinhard ordered a hasty charge to the location hoping to catch the prized vessels on the ground. unaware that using “open coms” to lure enemies into ambush is a favored tactics of the Black Warriors.

Leading his command into the teeth of the Warriors heavy mechs, Reinhard was unable to corral his own forces. Confusion reigned as conflicting orders from his various company commanders turned the ambush into a rout as the individual lances sought to reinforce, retreat, and rally in the face of the overwhelming firepower. When the smoke cleared the ambush had claimed more than half the units mechs and almost as many of its pilots. Counted among the dead was Reinhard as well as his daughter Sandra the only remaining descendant of the units principal founder Abigail Leclerc. Without a central leader the few remaining company and lance commanders each began to proclaim their right to inherit command of the battered mercenary unit, however with no candidate able to claim a majority in the various “votes” that followed the position remained empty for several months. These squabbles would eventually turn violent when during a training exercise two of the factions began a brawl that left two mechs severally damage and one unfortunate pilot dead. With any pretense of civility among the unit members gone the vast majority of the remaining pilots left the unit either individually or in groups.

Now the Musketeer are little more than a specter of the command it once was. Less than a company of warriors have remained “loyal” while their once sterling reputation is now worthless. Time will only tell if the new commander “ Spark's Charecter (if he still wants the role)” will be able to reverse their fortunes.

Edited by G is for Gamma, 21 June 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#12 Julmust Jaeger

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

I'll be reworking Ibrahim for the RP, I quite liked him as a character, and we never really got to see him in action last time, so I figure he deserves a second chance.

As such, expect an Azami in a Grasshopper.

Don't mind the new account name, just decided to start fresh after my long break from RPing.

-----

Solid background blurb as always, Herr Gamma.

Edited by Julmust Jaeger, 21 June 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#13 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

Name: Lord Gustave “Downtown” Carpeaux, Baron of Lensemahy
Mech: Black Knight BL-7-KNT
Date of Birth: 27th of August, 2992
Physical Appearance: 6’2” with a build that some describes as like a bundle of sticks in his teens but has filled out to become merely “angular”. His shoulder length, walnut brown hair in usually tied back into a neat ponytail and he wears a thin, well-trimmed mustache. Perhaps as a subtle reminder of his authority, he has taken to wearing a red and brown waistcoat out of uniform, the colours of his estranged barony.

Technically, the Carpeauxs are the hereditary lords of the Barony of Lensemahy on the world of Rosamond. Though the title still exists, the lands were merged into those of the Barony of Iles de Brancy in 2982. All that remains is a paltry stipend and the family’s BattleMech, an elderly Black Knight BL-7-KNT.

On finding himself landless, Gustave’s father, Roger Carpeaux, performed a few independent mercenary operations, before signing on with Abigail Leclerc’s Nya Musketörer. Gustave was born into the unit in 2992, working first as an astech to his father, before taking over piloting the Black Knight after his father’s death to cancer in 3014. Initially part of First Company’s battle lance, Gustave earned his callsign after a fast-running urban brawl when a fellow MechWarrior observed that “there’s that much rubble, it looks like Carpeaux is dragging half of downtown behind him.”

Gustave was granted command of Second Company’s battle lance in 3021 after several years as a trusted second to Lt Greg Keyes. The former lance leader, Laria Nikolaou, had challenged Reinhard Leclerc several times on the field of battle, leading to a falling out that saw her leave the unit. Gustave was promoted into her former position, partly as a way of weakening Keyes, who was also occasionally insubordinate to Leclerc.

#14 Julmust Jaeger

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

Redacted: Updated version of my character (Ibrahim) posted later in the thread.

Edited by Julmust Jaeger, 29 June 2016 - 12:23 AM.

#15 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hey, this looks cool, I'll do the homework and come up with a differently named character!

#16 BSODomizer

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Name: Silas Alphonse Reichswher
Callsign: Butterfly (often just "butter" or "fly", as derogatory or endearing versions respectively)
Battlemech: CDA-3C "Cicada", modified with large laser in place of PPC

Appearance: Standing only at a stature of 5'7", Silas is one of the shorter mechwarriors in the unit, and his thin build doesn't do him much justice when getting picked on by the others. He has a head of straight black hair which has been described by some as "controlled chaos", usually messy but somehow it suits him. His green eyes are often jovial, and his whole appearance can be considered either meek, or friendly, but usually not both. When not in his neurosuit, he prefers long, plain clothes, typically with high collars, and he usually seems to cover as much skin as possible.

His flesh is fair, and he appears of Lyran decent, though his dress doesn't agree with that statement, and he's often been confused with the ne'er-do-well or poor classes of people.
Background:
Silas got his start in a backwater district of Solaris City, on Solaris VII, a poor boy by anyone's standards and the product of a drunken, debt-ridden gambler and a bar wench. Despite the terrible home life, however, the boy grew up sparkly-eyed and wowed by his local population's one-of-a-kind 'Mech matches, and took a shining to them much like many other young boys do with anything heavily violent or awesome. It wasn't long into his teens that the boy was saving up every scrap of money he could find just to get a shot at seeing one of these glorious battles first-hand. His money, often times, came from petty crime.

Too bad he hadn't the money, for when he grew older, his father gambled away what little left they had, and he was forced into drastic measures to cover his losses. Silas' grandfather, a man named Sergeant Donitz Reichswher, had been a prestigious leader in the most recent wars, and after his passing, had left his stock of military items to his only child and Silas' father, Erich Reichswher. Turning to this pile of as it was put, "ancient junk", for some quick cash, he began to use Silas to peddle his old war-weary items on Solaris' underground markets.

But Silas, of course, coveted his grandfather's history, and grew ever more resentful of releasing the various components and weapons and scrap to an undeserving public. The final straw came when his father's debt was doubled through another string of desperate losses at the local gambling kiosk. That was when it was revealed to Silas that there was one last cash cow his father had planned to get rid of: His grandfather's old Cicada 3C, which was sitting, rusting inside of a freight container left in Erich's name at a junkyard. Of course, being the drunk he was, he sent Silas to retrieve it, and that was when the boy hatched a plan. Just eighteen years of age, a young Silas, upon learning the location of the Cicada, decided he would have no more of it.

Taking every bit of reading and fascination he'd mustered over his young life, he decided the Cicada could not be allowed to be sold for simple gambling debts when it was their most prized family heirloom, and it would be his own. It took him days on end of attempting to get the thing running, he called in favors from friends for spare parts most commonly replaced, cleaned off the rust, and after a small surprise to learn the core was still functioning, he attempted to pilot it. Still inside the small container, and after knocking himself around a few times, he began to learn his true calling.

By telling his father he had not found a buyer for such an old piece of junk, he was able to keep him off his back long enough for his plan to come to fruition. One night, he broke into the junkyard after hours, climbed into the cockpit of his grandfather's Battlemech, booted her up, and ran for it. The initial chaos of a 'Mech slamming down city streets caused an uproar among the local law enforcement, and it wasn't long before he was being followed by the authorities in ground vehicles, ordered to stop. But, determined to outrun them, instead he punched it into high gear, winding through the urban landscape until he finally broke onto open ground, and ran as fast and far as he could. Just the exhilaration of the event was enough to wear him out, and after finding a clearing in some trees to hide his captive treasure, he proceeded to sleep it off inside the cockpit, which became his new home for a time.

Knowing his mech was being hunted by the authorities, Silas used his underworld contacts to eventually set him up with a new set of registration numbers and a basic racing paintjob, complete with checkered legs. The cost of it all, though, put him in debt to a local mafia, which meant his first job with the Cicada was running packages illegally around the planet. Once it was paid off, Silas, now 21 years old, decided to finally make a name for himself in the rings of Solaris VII.

Initially winning two of his matches netted him the honorary title of underdog, but the moment the competition ramped up in the later matches, he found where his inexperience with real 'Mech combat had him at a severe disadvantage. Getting closer to the win of it all, he eventually met his match in the semi-finals when the reigning Medium circuit champion gunned for him specifically to get him out of the race, he had heard the rumors of the skilled newbie and his fast Medium.

His mech now trashed, Silas was down on his luck. He had no home, his winnings from the arenas were slim, and his life of crime held him in regard to the law, which he'd been hard pressed to evade in the first place. But luck would have it that he caught wind of the recruitment drive to the up-and-coming New Musketeers mercenaries, and their sign-on bonus grabbed his attention, as it included repairs for existing Battlemechs.

With no other real choice, and a failure in the rings behind him, Silas became a New Musketeer as a member of the Scout division, serving as forward fast-recon and support for lighter 'Mechs. He saw his first real combat in the periphery, where his grandfather's modification to the primary weapon of the Cicada paid off heavily. Using a distinct fast-attack tactic, Silas quickly earned the nickname "butterfly" due to the way he "floats" between heavier or slower 'Mechs, his piloting skills allowing his poor gunnery a chance in more venerable close-quarters. Or maybe it's just because he carries around and plays with a butterfly knife all the time? Whatever the reason, he doesn't care, and has even since painted a butterfly onto the left torso of his 'Mech, embracing the silly name. The nature of his callsign often bears the brunt of jokes, for example the time he'd slipped in heavy mud due to misjudging the acceleration of his throttle, members of his squad called him Butterfingers for two whole weeks. He's also been called Butterboy, Butterbutt, Butts, Butterball, told he "butter" get "better", and other jokes to spare. Still, when push comes to shove, people are glad to have Butterfly's recon intel available on missions.

During the raid on Lahti, Butterfly had been in service in the recon unit which had provided false telemetry data to the New Musketeer's forces, and as such when the fighting began he hadn't been in the thick of it. When communication proved futile to the commanding officers and other units nearby, he feared the worst and fled, fending off two chasing light 'Mechs and getting wounded in the process. When the remnants of the Musketeers found him, he was little more than a ball of guilty flesh curled inside of a trashed cockpit in his broken-up Cicada which had taken a dive off a cliff to save his own life.

Silas has never recovered from the guilt of leading soldiers into a trap, and once more not fighting and dying trying to save them. He stuck with the unit because of this guilt, feeling he owed it to the dead to continue his service.

Edited by The Rogue Falcon, 24 June 2016 - 04:49 AM.

#17 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

Oh no. We have another Rogue... You might want to get the okay for the LPL though, if memory serves it doesn't make a come back till 3037...

Still... nice bio.

#18 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Name: Zachariah Humboldt
Call sign: Smokey
Date of Birth/Age: 2/20/ 2996 Age 32 or 33 depending on start time

Birthplace Tigovosye, Andurien
Current Mech: FS9-K Firestarter
House Affiliation: Marik (Duchy of Andurien)
Military History: Like many orphans, Zack was conscripted into the military at the age of 16. There attached to the 6th Defenders of Andurien, Zachariah preformed mediocrely as a peace keeper in an infantry cadre in the years leading up to the Marik Civil war. In early Fall of 3013, at the age of 17, Zach was presented with the opportunity for more advanced training, namely battlemech training. Drilled mercilessly as the growing civil unrest grew, Zach preformed admirably, showing great skill for light mech operations. Passing the batteries of questions and test, Zach was rated fit to become a mechwarrior.

(From Sarna) On May 22, 3014 calling Janos a "madman" and a "tyrant", Anton Marik openly challenged his brother's reign. Self-declaring himself Captain-General, he called upon all provinces and military units of the Free Worlds League to rally at his side.

In wake of the declaration of war, Zach, was once again marched alongside the 6th, this time heading headfirst into the maelstrom of war.

During Anton Marik's revolt, the Sixth deployed from Andurien and visited Wallacia and Ipswich before arriving on Calloway VI alongside several other FWLM regiments. There they fought against Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment, holding the elite mercenaries in place long enough for other units to defend the Earthwerks plant. The Sixth Defenders held until the Dragoons were reinforced by Gamma. The Sixth Defenders continued to fight, putting pressure on the Dragoons. Eventually the Dragoons were driven off-world.

On Calloway VI he was wounded by shrapnel when his Hermes II received critical damage from a missile hit to the cockpit which shot out his life support system and caused his cockpit to fill with smoke earning him the nickname 'Smokey.'

In the wake of the civil war, Zach once again was pressed into the role of peace keeper, where he served out the remainder of his time in the FWLM with the ever present rumors of civil war on the horizon.

Eventually he left the 6th, Andurien, and the entire FWL behind to head to Galatea where he would sign up with a certain disorganized mercenary unit in time for their leader to forgo his scouts, one of which was Zack, and blunder into an ambush and ultimately his death.

Feeling responsible despite no wrong doing on his part, Zach has taking to doing his upmost to hold the fraying mercenary unit together and try to usher them forward to a brighter future.

Physical Description: roughly 5'8'' and stocky, Zach shaves his down to stubble like many MechWarriors, he however has grown out a big blond bushy beard. He often walks around with a broad toothy smile, and a twinkle in his blue eyes. He has let himself go since leaving the military, enjoying non military life and has put on some bulk.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 22 June 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#19 BSODomizer

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Sweet, two scouts :D

LPL lore isn't my strong point, though, so if I've got to go back to the PPC, I guess that's fine too. Either way, it works out.

#20 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

View PostThe Rogue Falcon, on 22 June 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Sweet, two scouts Posted Image

LPL lore isn't my strong point, though, so if I've got to go back to the PPC, I guess that's fine too. Either way, it works out.

Good news and bad news.

Good news? Neat bio. Also the Cicada is a personal favorite of mine so good choice.

Bad news? No LPL, but feel free to shift to a standard large laser if you want instead.

Oh, and just so everyone knows. The timeline for the RP is set in the year 3028, a few months before the kick off of the 4th Sucession War.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users