36 replies to this topic

#1 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

So anyone else giving up playing until they fix the minimap? I tried, I just can't play (and it's not the beers talking.)

#2 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

What's wrong with the.minimap? I gave up a few weeks ago so I havnt seen it in action yet.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 21 June 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#3 Turd Fergison

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

Yea, um, I cannot stand it. You cant see where your fellow mechs are facing and the scale of it is so large. Too much info in such a small area makes it extremely difficult see what is really going on with your team without actually looking at them. Also, what on earth were they thinking with the grid system? It worked perfectly last time. It doesnt matter how "used to" I get with the new format, just being able to see the code plainly written on the grid will ALWAYS be faster to read. A lot of the info they were fitting into the mini map should have just been tucked away in the battle grid like it used to be, feels like a downgrade to me.

#4 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

NO JUST NO!!!

- The lack of map orientation is disorienting and I would hate to think what a new player is going through!!
- It spoils those who sit back in a firing line, aka trench warfare and stalemates. The game is 'already' too static, giving more weight to that type of gameplay is only going to make poking almost impossible and we'll be looking for 1 kill and a count down on the clock
- in the middle of combat you need quick data not sitting looking at the map and figure out where your team are going, where the enemy are relative to you.
- EVERY single version of this game has had a radar orientation until now.
- change is not necessarily bad and I get that people are adverse to change, though this turns the game upside down, not tweaks it.

I probably won't play at all and if PGI read the forums [highly unlikely], I want them to know that despite spending more on this game than any other before, I won't be spending a cent more because I'm tired of the poor implementation of new ideas [seemingly not player tested!], the ridiculously slow progress of features, small number of maps, game modes, not listening to the community about features such as melee, knock-down/fall over, actual destructible terrain and so on.

#5 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

I hate the new minimap as well. The original was sufficiently zoomed which made reporting position of foes easier. Plus it moved with the mech.

#6 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

Here comes the fix ;)

#7 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 21 June 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

Ahh.. thanks man.

I'll wait for the dam patch fix.

Posted Image

Shame Shame Shame

#8 Jhondra

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Still waiting for them to see the light of day and FINALLY utilize my second 4K monitor for a full screen mini-map assignment. Sigh. 'tards...

#9 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'm disappointed on several levels. 1) The rotation. 2) The zoom level. 3) That this made it through testing. 4) Russ's comments at the town hall (see 33 minutes in + some time.) 5) I want information warfare, but breaking everything months before they add a feature to justify the breaking is insane. 6) Why do I care so much about this stupid game. My wife has just been shaking her head as I've been posting all night (and not freaking playing the game because the minimap is infuriating.)

#10 Rattazustra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

I played ONE match and it was so bad I was disgusted immediately. Even more so by the sloppy way PGI works than by the horrible new mini map. Don't they playtest ANYTHING?! I mean with real players? It takes just a dozen hand picked community representatives on a testserver prior to release to completely eliminate nonsense like this. Simply pathetic.

#11 The Reaper Beckons

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

Yup. POS horrible design decision.
Will step back untill its fixed. No big deal - other games are competing for my finances

#12 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

Can we please have standard-sized grid squares back, too?

That is, can they be the same size on all maps?

#13 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 21 June 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

Can we please have standard-sized grid squares back, too?

That is, can they be the same size on all maps?

There were always differences in grid square sizes depending on map size. That did not change AFAIK

#14 CHERNO BERSERKER

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

The big issue is scaling the larger area displayed the less detailed and precise it is. All they have to do is have it displayed at the same scale as the original.

#15 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Well I saw fantastic Tuesdays video and the upcoming hotfix patch notes.

Things I loved about the new minimap

1. Locked map position. OMG yes. That looked so much better. Having a defined north would be extremely helpful. On wait. We are removing that.

2. Easy to see situations developing in different parts of the map. We are removing that as well...

3. Sensible grid markers. Placing the lines along the sides is long overdue. Its nice to see instead of superimposing illegible markers on the map. Oh oops. We are going back to unreadable grid markers.

Things I hated about the new minimap.

1. No way to easily see how your legs and torso were positioned. Yay they are fixing that.

Things that are a wash.

1. The zoomed out view makes number of Mechs present difficult to make out. It doesn't really matter. If they are visible on the map then they are visible on the main HUD. I keep my eye on the screen more than I do the map. Seismic is more of a pain but usually seismic is there to tell me something is near or coming, which the new.minimap does, and not there for precise targeting info.

Final hotfix patch score. -2.

This stuff should be a toggle...

#16 Dimension Zero

Rookie

• Sergeant II
  • Sergeant II
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

Meh...trial and error, the post hot fix map looks awesome though!!!

#17 KrewKiller

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 21 June 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

1. Locked map position. OMG yes. That looked so much better. Having a defined north would be extremely helpful. On wait. We are removing that.

1) Finally being able to give cardinal directions with out concentrating on compass is a hell yea!! f

Actually just had a guy on comms ask how to tell North on a fixed map.... uhm, it's up Posted Image ... "North side of green circle has better cover for flanking them"

View PostThomasMarik, on 21 June 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

This stuff should be a toggle...

But something in this game becoming a toggle??? This game is how old ??? and the minimap doesn't already have a zoom? or a toggle toggle? or different colors for a/b/c lance... or icons for commander... or spotted locations that decay ... Guess thats why comms are almost required for a win

I'm okay with the grid coords coming back to the square... but should definitely be pixel fonts near a corner...

Maybe devs ran out of bindable keys...

#18 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

Russ speaks:

https://mwomercs.com...ng-new-mini-map

#19 Lao Shin

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:54 PM

No need in dat icons.... old map was good.....

#20 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

the actual full map should have been displayed in the kill counter monitor, the monitors as they are now are still useless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users