heat atmosphere canon

2 replies to this topic

#1 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hi!

So, during my last match in HPG (yes, it was fun, one of my favorite maps), I started thinking of how my heatsinks worked better on Frozen City. (Just a few standard heatsinks in a Raven 3L.)

Now, having had a good and humorous team, I decided to suddenly ask them why the heat disrepancy? Vacuum is... well, you would freeze very quickly there. Extremely quickly in fact. So having begun this little trek into curiosity, I suddenly asked my team when we were talking about this issue. They came up with some wonderful ideas.

Well, we don't know what kind of radiation is shining on the manifold surface

What about all that dust getting into heatsinks?

Well, no atmosphere, no air changing (this, I think, is not exactly how it works with heat sinks, since they radiate heat)

(Point three actually comes back to #1, because, hey, no atmosphere to shield you from light.)

I just had a tiny bit of a blast with this, and decided to put this up here. I'd love to hear the team's thoughts on this, maybe get a little mythos on the map!

Also, to the team I played with, thank you! We lost, but information is ammunition, and we remembered that!

#2 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostWintercycle, on 24 June 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Hi!

So, during my last match in HPG (yes, it was fun, one of my favorite maps), I started thinking of how my heatsinks worked better on Frozen City. (Just a few standard heatsinks in a Raven 3L.)

Now, having had a good and humorous team, I decided to suddenly ask them why the heat disrepancy? Vacuum is... well, you would freeze very quickly there. Extremely quickly in fact. So having begun this little trek into curiosity, I suddenly asked my team when we were talking about this issue. They came up with some wonderful ideas.

Well, we don't know what kind of radiation is shining on the manifold surface

What about all that dust getting into heatsinks?

Well, no atmosphere, no air changing (this, I think, is not exactly how it works with heat sinks, since they radiate heat)

(Point three actually comes back to #1, because, hey, no atmosphere to shield you from light.)

I just had a tiny bit of a blast with this, and decided to put this up here. I'd love to hear the team's thoughts on this, maybe get a little mythos on the map!

Also, to the team I played with, thank you! We lost, but information is ammunition, and we remembered that!

Not a lore guy but heatsink are passive as far as i know so they would be nice in cold environment with atmosphere like Frozen City but would be crap for vacuum.

Theres only heat loss through radiation in space which isnt efficient at all. Generating lots of heat inside your mech in a vacuum should cook you pretty quick unless you have active heatsink. Passive heatsink would radiate very slowly. It's a myth that you freeze instantly when in the black and unless you are close to a sun you dont cook either in the light. It takes hours to radiate energy, we might want to lower ttk but not by hours Posted Image

1) It cant be so hot or we would have not build infrastructure there.
2)Grease monkeys should clear the heatsink every o/h.
3)Hope you got lots of coolshots.

yeah Heatsink are the radiator kind, enjoy no heat dissipation at all on HPG! now where did i put my coolshots...

Edited by DAYLEET, 03 July 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

First of all, the Night Gyr would have a Field Day with it's laser based cooling system. And true: You would yourself not just instantly freeze to death in the vacuum of space. Here's a fun little video on that :-)

But a) I don't mind they didn't really ride the scientific train on the effectiveness of Mech heatsinks in vacuum and B) I really really like the soundscape of HPG. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users