New Assault Post Rescale

46 replies to this topic

#21 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

i used to run a 5LPL banshee. sold it. too slow. and not even talking engine. the twist and the hardpoints mostly low.
it was tanky and the response for aiming the lasers was good, but again you had to get pretty much whole body to shoot

then i bought a battlemaster. i havent played since rescale but it was then one of the tallest mechs in the game.
really felt like it. the higher placed hardpoints were much better with battlemaster and it was tanky, but getting into cover was very problematic and the aiming of lasers with the torso was clumsy as heck. sold it too.

victor turns like a dire whale for some reason... sold it...

highlander? that thing is a joke...

stalker, atlas, warhawk, awesome - these mechs are either tanky or agile... that's the reason i like them better than giant clumsy humanoid laserboats. they really have a point to them i think

#22 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 02 July 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

I can see how the BLR 2c is effective, I've played it quite a bit, enjoyed it, and did well with it, but I just can't see how it's OP. Even running the meta-wh*re 5 LPL version with an XL it seems too squishy. Yes it's fast, but it's still an assault mech, and can be hit pretty easily. With an XL it pops like a tin can. I just feel that laser vomit isn't quite as relevant as it used to be. Any Gauss vomit build out-trades it, dakka outranges it, and brawlers out alpha it. I understand where you are coming from, as on paper it definitely has OP written all over it, and a year ago it would have been, I just haven't experienced it being super OP in game so I can't say I'm entirely convinced it is. IMO, KDK 3 is borderline OP, but no one else seems to agree with that (Probably because the quad UAC-10 build is the only borderline OP build on the Kodiak. Seriously, what else does anyone run on that things?)

Banshee is great. It used to be my favorite mech, but now I find it is either too slow, or too fat to pull its weight against the "new breed" of heavily quirked mechs.

The Dire is "dirty" if you pilot it perfectly. Otherwise you get eaten alive by SRM 30 jenners who core you in the back when your team mates look away for a split second. Also, the torso twist on the thing is dreadful. I feel after the nerfs it's now a shadow of its former glory.

This is all opinion stuff on my part, but I've played quite a lot of matches in assault mechs, so I feel that what I have said is at least backed by a good amount of play time in the weight class.

Well, in my experience, only my BNC-3M outdamages my DWves consistently. DWF is sometimes feast or famine, yes, but it's not all that hard to do that great in it. There's a reason only the KDK is considered better by GMan. The trick with the whale is to set full throttle right from the start and never stop moving till you get into a good firing position.

On open ground in controlled engagements, DWves can still take on anything and win.

If you're moving as a group of 3/4 assault mechs (which you should be, even in solo), I find lights might try and take a few potshots, but a few lolphas later be limping away. Trust me. Get your back to the wall, lolpha strike their legs and they won't bother you again unless they want to die.

As Aleksandr says, 2xGR, 2xERPPC is just as popular on the KDK-3 as the UAC/10, and most definitely the "comp" pick. HoL for instance, has only brought GR/PPC kodiaks to the WC.

And the Banshee is still one of the T1 assaults. After the WHM/BLK-KNT nerf, they're no longer tanking like assaults, so it was sort of a ninja buff to the BNC retaining its spot at the top.

Also, taking struc. quirks into account, the BLR-2C(C) has more torso hitpoints than the BNC-3M.

View PostMazzyplz, on 02 July 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

i used to run a 5LPL banshee. sold it. too slow. and not even talking engine. the twist and the hardpoints mostly low.
it was tanky and the response for aiming the lasers was good, but again you had to get pretty much whole body to shoot

then i bought a battlemaster. i havent played since rescale but it was then one of the tallest mechs in the game.
really felt like it. the higher placed hardpoints were much better with battlemaster and it was tanky, but getting into cover was very problematic and the aiming of lasers with the torso was clumsy as heck. sold it too.

victor turns like a dire whale for some reason... sold it...

highlander? that thing is a joke...

stalker, atlas, warhawk, awesome - these mechs are either tanky or agile... that's the reason i like them better than giant clumsy humanoid laserboats. they really have a point to them i think

If you're saying the 3M was too slow going 68.7 with a XL375 and having a majestic torso twist rate, you're definitely not an assault pilot. Atleast in the traditional sense.

****, the 3M is one of the more godly experiences you can have, even with a STD350. But maybe that's just me talking, I only do well in slower mechs.

BTW, victor has tremendous agility quirks right now, so when did you buy it???

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I've been an assault pilot since beginning this game, and my first one and a half months were spent in a STD240 Awesome.

Lack of speed never bothered me outside of CW gen rushes.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 02 July 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#23 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

So sank about 30 mil into 2 battle masters and all the upgrades. Found out I hate assaults. Love lights, mediums and fast heavys. Assault mechs last about 2 mins for me. I pull 450-900 damage in most other mechs. Sometimes 1k plus. With the BLR it seems like I stick with the other assaults and one furious fight later Im in a heap.

I always love coming at fat boys from side and rear quarters. Now I am feeling some fat boy pain. It seems IF you have support and IF you can find a favorable position they are powerful. As a class the feel kinda fragile with the agro they draw.

Any sage advise? It seems that a very tactical mindset is required. With faster mechs you can often recover from a bad or unlucky move. Finding armor<speed. Hell, maybe I am just doing it wrong

#24 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

Assaults are different, It took me time to get in the flow of the Stalker and it was very frustrating while mastering the Basics. Assaults are very numb with few exceptions (the Victor)

Even though many player in the PUGs still have notion that Assault are there to Tank/act-as-their-human-sheild, you will always need support. Everyone on the other team will want to shoot at you because your the biggest, slowest target, doesn't matter how much armor you have if the match starts as a 12 vs 1 when someone shouts into their mic for you to 'tank' because your in a assault (still happens to me when I'm in a Stalker)

Your also in one of the slowest mech in your team. If you ever find yourself leading your team mates into battle during a skirmish or getting one of the first caps during conquest, it usually means the rest of your team needs to get their s**t together.

Edited by Steel Raven, 03 July 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#25 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostRock Roller, on 03 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

So sank about 30 mil into 2 battle masters and all the upgrades. Found out I hate assaults. Love lights, mediums and fast heavys. Assault mechs last about 2 mins for me. I pull 450-900 damage in most other mechs. Sometimes 1k plus. With the BLR it seems like I stick with the other assaults and one furious fight later Im in a heap.

I always love coming at fat boys from side and rear quarters. Now I am feeling some fat boy pain. It seems IF you have support and IF you can find a favorable position they are powerful. As a class the feel kinda fragile with the agro they draw.

Any sage advise? It seems that a very tactical mindset is required. With faster mechs you can often recover from a bad or unlucky move. Finding armor<speed. Hell, maybe I am just doing it wrong

BLR-2C with 5LPL should move fast enough to keep up with a lot of IS heavies.@73.8 you should be mobile enough to get to a position where you can fight with good sight lines. from there, just 3-2-3-2 people- drilling either CT core or legs... or what ever is exposed.

did a youtube search and found this:
https://youtu.be/LzUONWM0XBE

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 03 July 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#26 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

The 9M does a lot better with 3LPL 3ML than with ERPPC. That's more a failing of the ERPPC itself, than the quirks.

Funny, the 8Q is better with ERPPCs than the 9M.

The 8Q only generates 7 heat per PPC, so the DPS is really high. Sure, you won't be pulling 1000 dmg games, but you know you were as effective when you do 600 and get 3/4 kills.

#27 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 03 July 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

The 9M does a lot better with 3LPL 3ML than with ERPPC. That's more a failing of the ERPPC itself, than the quirks.

Funny, the 8Q is better with ERPPCs than the 9M.

The 8Q only generates 7 heat per PPC, so the DPS is really high. Sure, you won't be pulling 1000 dmg games, but you know you were as effective when you do 600 and get 3/4 kills.

disagree completely. imo LPL sucks on it and erppc rocks

#28 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Just not a fan of the Battlemaster. Banshee for laser boating or KC for ballistics.(pls no LRM builds)

#29 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostRock Roller, on 03 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Assault class plays completely different and is the hardest to play well. You have to drop every preconceived notion and expectation of what you think it's supposed to do and do what it's supposed to do. You simply cannot do whatever you want in an Assault

Drawing aggro is the whole point of some assaults. If 12 of them are shooting at you, then they're not shooting the other 11 of your team mates.

Think through what you are about to do, then do it. Not charge out and then react to what you see.

i.e. Canyon Network: "ok, the enemy is coming up the ramp on my left in a firing line but they don't have good cover, my team is in position on the ride on my left. I'm going to move across the open field to where Theta is and take cover behind THAT specific rock (that is not on some kind of slope which will hinder my movement). This will draw fire. And I will lose my left arm in that process" then you type into team chat "drawing enemy fire, kill them when i go". then you go. And you DO NOT look left for whatever reason. Wriggle and let your LA/LT take the damage. Complete the maneuver, then reassess the situation and plan the next move.

the BLR is not a front line assault, it should not be the first in, but neither should it be hiding behind heavy/mediums.

another important skill playing Assault class is knowing when you need to rotate in to take hits for the team, even if you're not in a frontline assault like an Atlas. If you are the last man on the team, you're doing it wrong. If you have >90% armor when all your heavies/assaults are dead, you're doing it wrong. If you're the last man on the team in an Atlas with >90% armor, running LRM20s with an XL engine, you're seriously doing it wrong

#30 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 03 July 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Assault class plays completely different and is the hardest to play well. You have to drop every preconceived notion and expectation of what you think it's supposed to do and do what it's supposed to do. You simply cannot do whatever you want in an Assault

Drawing aggro is the whole point of some assaults. If 12 of them are shooting at you, then they're not shooting the other 11 of your team mates.

Think through what you are about to do, then do it. Not charge out and then react to what you see.

i.e. Canyon Network: &quot;ok, the enemy is coming up the ramp on my left in a firing line but they don't have good cover, my team is in position on the ride on my left. I'm going to move across the open field to where Theta is and take cover behind THAT specific rock (that is not on some kind of slope which will hinder my movement). This will draw fire. And I will lose my left arm in that process&quot; then you type into team chat &quot;drawing enemy fire, kill them when i go&quot;. then you go. And you DO NOT look left for whatever reason. Wriggle and let your LA/LT take the damage. Complete the maneuver, then reassess the situation and plan the next move.

the BLR is not a front line assault, it should not be the first in, but neither should it be hiding behind heavy/mediums.

another important skill playing Assault class is knowing when you need to rotate in to take hits for the team, even if you're not in a frontline assault like an Atlas. If you are the last man on the team, you're doing it wrong. If you have &gt;90% armor when all your heavies/assaults are dead, you're doing it wrong. If you're the last man on the team in an Atlas with &gt;90% armor, running LRM20s with an XL engine, you're seriously doing it wrong

I understand what you are saying, I think that is the problem. What you are saying is you have to have a great plan going in. I am a good shot, I read a situation well and I can exploit it. I haven't played enough to know what the best strategy is for most situations. I feel that with my nature I will have to work my mind to this play style.

If no one has told you assault pilots this resently, you rock..... And I still like looking for you in my locust and Arctic Cheetah. 😀

i.e. Canyon Network: &quot;ok, the enemy is coming up the ramp on my left in a firing line but they don't have good cover, my team is in position on the ride on my left. I'm going to move across the open field to where Theta is and take cover behind THAT specific rock (that is not on some kind of slope which will hinder my movement). This will draw fire. And I will lose my left arm in that process&quot; then you type into team chat &quot;drawing enemy fire, kill them when i go&quot;. then you go. And you DO NOT look left for whatever reason. Wriggle and let your LA/LT take the damage. Complete the maneuver, then reassess the situation and plan the next move.

another important skill playing Assault class is knowing when you need to rotate in to take hits for the team, even if you're not in a frontline assault like an Atlas. If you are the last man on the team, you're doing it wrong. If you have &gt;90% armor when all your heavies/assaults are dead, you're doing it wrong. If you're the last man on the team in an Atlas with &gt;90% armor, running LRM20s with an XL engine, you're seriously doing it wrong

I understand what you are saying, I think that is the problem. What you are saying is you have to have a great plan going in. I am a good shot, I read a situation well and I can exploit it. I haven't played enough to know what the best strategy is for most situations. I feel that with my nature I will have to work my mind to this play style.

If no one has told you assault pilots this resently, you rock..... And I still like looking for you in my locust and Arctic Cheetah. 😀

If no one has told you assault pilots this resently, you rock..... And I still like looking for you in my locust and Arctic Cheetah.

Well that bugged hard.

#31 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:55 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 03 July 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

disagree completely. imo LPL sucks on it and erppc rocks

Whatever works for you. Posted Image

#32 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 12 July 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

My problem with the 8Q is the speed the 9m runs at almost 84 kph after speed tweak the 9m best builds are 3er ppc for long range. Should not be any where near front lines. Or what I am running now is 4 mpl 2 er ppc fire ether the 4 mpl at close range or both er ppc at long I use cool-down modules on both as in this build I am looking for dps. You can go pulse vommit as well with 3lpl and mpl but that is a total waste of the er ppc quarks. if you want pulse vomit go with a different mech. With seismic and radar derp with 385 xl. this mech is solid. That beiing said you have to use that mobility and move never stay still.

Big engines are not just for charging to the front lines, they can be used for many other things!

Bigger engines allow for higher amount of heat sinks, are great for out manuvering opponents, keeping up with allies, moving to better sight lines, playing peeka-boo, diving into cover, agility for turning and twisting...

I dont know much about awesomes, and what builds work... But i can definatelly see the appeal for big engines on assault mechs

#33 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Has anyone taken their Highlander IICs out for a spin since they got buffed? I am curious to see if the buff helped.

#34 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 12 July 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

Awesomes have several problems there is a reason no one plays them I only use two the 9m and the 8R I will soon have them mastered which is essential to getting all the utility out of them.

I will not play slow assaults as I do not see the point of having 200 more points of armor and going 40 when I can go 83 with 200 less. Great they carry more weapons. I hate having more than 3 weapon groups on anything. KEEP IT SIMPLE stupid is my motto. I am glad that some people that can play these roles I just am not one of them the awesome is hard enough.

If I didnt have a nostalgic soft spot for the Battlemaster, I would probably try the awesome... But that being said, it is true, the awesome definatelly has a lot of short comings. When I try to smurfy up something with it... I just give up. i think its quircks need to be re-evaluated again.

#35 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

i've been driving the awesome 9m 4 years.

i have ran both LPL and ERPPC.

there was a time when awesome had ridiculous energy range... and LPL at 850 meters would do damage.
to be honest the aws9m was overpowered.

i guess people complained about this. because the awesome 9m was NERFED... the quirk for range was made ERPPC range ONLY.
as a result, the 9m could shoot ERPPCS at super long ranges, and that became the best build.

people complained about the 9m again... they went crying... and the aws9m lost the erppc range quirk completely!
amazing but this actually happened.

they also tried to undo the range nerf to LPL build by making 3LPL not have ghost heat on awesome 9m.

but it was still mediocre. nowhere as good as the long range LPL it had in the past.

the aws9m has been a bit mediocre ever since, though there was a rescale on it.. as we all know.

the current verdict i feel is erppc>lpl.
but that's just how i feel.
i think the range advantage is important because getting in close with this particular mech doesn't always go well.
you can hit and run at long ranges with erppcs. my build is 1ppc+2erppc.

#36 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 12 July 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

i've been driving the awesome 9m 4 years.

i have ran both LPL and ERPPC.

there was a time when awesome had ridiculous energy range... and LPL at 850 meters would do damage.
to be honest the aws9m was overpowered.

i guess people complained about this. because the awesome 9m was NERFED... the quirk for range was made ERPPC range ONLY.
as a result, the 9m could shoot ERPPCS at super long ranges, and that became the best build.

people complained about the 9m again... they went crying... and the aws9m lost the erppc range quirk completely!
amazing but this actually happened.

they also tried to undo the range nerf to LPL build by making 3LPL not have ghost heat on awesome 9m.

but it was still mediocre. nowhere as good as the long range LPL it had in the past.

the aws9m has been a bit mediocre ever since, though there was a rescale on it.. as we all know.

the current verdict i feel is erppc&gt;lpl.
but that's just how i feel.
i think the range advantage is important because getting in close with this particular mech doesn't always go well.
you can hit and run at long ranges with erppcs. my build is 1ppc+2erppc.

Whyyyyyyy!!! Why would they nerf the awesome?!?!?

#37 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

There's actually a video on youtube, Blackhawk SC doing 3000 damage in a 9M (FW), back when it had the 15% range quirks

Edited by Keshav Murali, 12 July 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#38 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 12 July 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

There's actually a video on youtube, Blackhawk SC doing 3000 damage in a 9M (FW), back when it had the 15% range quirks

See, now that sounds Awesome!!!

#39 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

I do have to give a shout out to the STK-5M with 3 ERLL and 5xSRM6A. So many people rush you thinking you run hot and the missiles make terrifyingly short work of them. It also does exceptionally bad things to people if you can catch them in the rear. That being said, it is slow, but it does have some of the best hitboxes in game.

#40 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

3 ERLL (AND 5SRM6+A)? Wait...wut...are you running an XL?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users