so lets make the Center less Important for Fights and more so for Risky Travel,

My Idea is to make Terra Therma a Hot and Cold Map,
Posted Image
the Blue Areas= have a a Cool Wind Blowing threw them,
Giving mechs Greater Cooling if they rest in these Areas,

the Red Areas= are Hot Stops usually with or Around Lava,
these Areas that can Heat Mechs to an Ambient 20% Heat,

the Yellow Area= is the New center Peice, Super Heating Mechs,
Being in the Caldera is now much like Standing in Lava, your Heat Slowly Raises to 90%,

i think with these Addisitons we will see more Variation of play,
and see the Caldera use more for Quick Risky Travel then a Fighting Zone,

o and remember in Domination the Caldera is the Domination Point,
this will force people to Play Much Smarter with Terra Therma Domination,
as if they Try to Death Ball in they will be at a Huge heat Disadvantage,

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Thanks

Edit- Odd Errors

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 27 June 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#2 jd7710

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 79 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationmid atlantic

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

I like the possibilities this could bring. move the fight around the map for a change. we can stop yelling at the one person who is stuck in the "door" blocking the caldera in every match

#3 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

I like this map because it helps reduce the effectiveness of hot-running mechs. I'm concerned that adding a cooling effect to the map will remove the reason that I enjoy it so much, but I'm willing to give it a try!

Also concerned that it will turn into a NASCAR map. Perhaps don't have the cooling areas all around the map, but rather in 2-4 areas on either side? That way the enemy will either give up surprise but gain firepower (by staying in the known cooling), or vice-versa.

I'm also wondering how the cooling areas will be differentiated. New players won't know, and we don't want them to have to google it/search the forums to find out.

Edited by Fox the Apprentice, 06 July 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

I like this idea but I do not want the cool areas to be to drastically cool (For TT), I think the cool areas should be around 40-50 degrees C while the medium temperate areas around 70's while the heated are around 90's+

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 06 July 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

I like this map because it helps reduce the effectiveness of hot-running mechs. I'm concerned that adding a cooling effect to the map will remove the reason that I enjoy it so much, but I'm willing to give it a try!

Also concerned that it will turn into a NASCAR map. Perhaps don't have the cooling areas all around the map, but rather in 2-4 areas on either side? That way the enemy will either give up surprise but gain firepower (by staying in the known cooling), or vice-versa.

I'm also wondering how the cooling areas will be differentiated. New players won't know, and we don't want them to have to google it/search the forums to find out.

This map already has a cooling effect. being in the Centre is hotter then the outside but as you see this doesn't really change anything about combat. heck most people do not even know about it...
Similar story with caustic valley.

On topic of new players i am pretty sure PGI said there will be an official MW: O wikia soon. Maybe this will have detailed info and the game links it to this? The Tutorial does touch up a little bit on temperature differences as well depending on terrain.

#5 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

People goes in the centre because the caldera is a very important tactical position. It's in the centre of the map and it's higher level. From each access you can dominate the terrain below. Moreover, the high steep hills that you have in the map IMHO prevent people to use and move easily to other areas of the map. In other words, the centre seems the only part of the map you could easily getting to.
I agree that having different heat zones on the map could be a good idea (and it makes sense, the nearer someone is to the lava crater -> the hotter it gets), I'll add some observation:
1) it's doable with current game engine? Is it possibile to have different heat zones in a map without binding it to specific elements/materials (e.g. Water, lava)?
2) I'd like to make the caldera in the centre slightly more accessibile. Right now there are "traffic jams" in the corridors if 2-3 mechs are there. If a mech stops in the corridor because enemy mechs are already in the caldera the others behind him cannot fire / move into the ring inside the caldera. If the mech remain exposed, it dies due to enemy fire because in the caldera there aren't many covers avaliable.
3) What about adding some more important tactical positions to the corners/side of the map? Like more accessibile higher positions from which a team could fire to people peeking from the caldera in the centre.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users