22 replies to this topic

#1 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:01 AM

I dont want to believe it but its just mesmerizing how PGI manage to make something that is invariably positive and make it a negative. What is this wizardry?

The zoom is now much much worse than it ever used to be. Completely erratic behavior. When it was server side yes it was a little slow to react but at least it was stable. Now it zooms in instantly, but then zooms in and out on its own afterwards without even clicking the button!

I wanted to check up on the game and find the zoom has gone nuts for me, its almost unplayable. If I am playing on oceanic with around 130 ping, it just barely works ok if I dont click the zoom too fast. Playing on NA servers with 260 ping the zoom is just zooming in and out on its own even if it press it once or twice very slowly. I never had zoom issues before regardless of ping.

Ditto to the weapon configs. When you set your weapon numbers they turn on and off on their own. You have do it VERY slowly.

Bottom line. ZOOM is more SERVER side than ever!

I will be sending a letter to support asking for the old client side zoom as an option.

#2 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:39 AM

What?

Has never done that for me. Sounds like you have a bit of lag and packet loss on your end

Edited by W A R K H A N, 04 July 2016 - 04:41 AM.

#3 Maugged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:44 AM

What mouse do you use?

#4 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:14 AM

Its way better than it was before.

Check your own setup. Maybe clean the clicker under your middle mouse button, they can get stuff in them on any mouse.

#5 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

Never had problems with zoom, it must be something on your side.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:38 AM

I've had the same thing happen and I think its a latency issue. Only ever happens to me when I have 200+ ping.

You are right though, its incredibly frustrating, especially if you are used to using zoom quickly and frequently.

#7 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, as most everyone is saying, your experience is unique... must be something on your end.

#8 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

I use a keyboard key for my zoom and I do get the alternating zoom occasionally. But being >200 Ms ping for every server other than oceanic, that could be the cause. Weapon grouping has always been an issue in game for me, so already quite used to setting it relatively slowly.

#9 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:47 AM

The described behavior actually happened to me quite often when the zoom was still server sided. Never had that happening since switching to client side.

#10 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:02 AM

OP, you need to consider this is something on your end. I know of no one that is experiencing the issue you are having. It's always blame someone else first.

#11 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

I get that aswell. It can be avoided by rolling your mousewheel a little more gently and precisely.

I use razer lachesis. Its probably set to its highest dpi which is 4000 i think. I dont know if that has any relevance to this issue or the mouse wheel :)

Edited by Burke IV, 04 July 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#12 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 04 July 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

I've had the same thing happen and I think its a latency issue. Only ever happens to me when I have 200+ ping.

You are right though, its incredibly frustrating, especially if you are used to using zoom quickly and frequently.

I get that when zooming rapidly...and my ping is only in the 50-70 range

#13 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 04 July 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

Playing on NA servers with 260 ping the zoom is just zooming in and out on its own even if it press it once or twice very slowly

270 ms isnt VERY slowly but it's slow for sure .. handle with that bro i am pretty sure that this ping while you shoot is more boring that this ping while you zoom.
Or maybe play only on oceanic servers it will solve your issue like you did explain.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 04 July 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

How are you zooming? Keyboard or mouse? Is your zoom setup to cycle through each level or from min to max? I use my mouse wheel for zooming in/out and I did have it setup to cycle through each level, and I would get that if doing it rapidly but since then I have changed it from min/max and not have it "act up".

Edit, and check the keyboard settings, the zoom in/out with mouse is what I was using. I changed the zoom in Set Zoom Level 2 or Max. I am in the process of testing each one to see what satisfies my needs.

2nd Edit. If using scrolling mouse wheel, the issue pops up with the Zoom in/out and all the different zoom toggle selections, likely due to we operate that wheel Posted Image I certainly am not a easy and slow type of person Posted Image

For best use for those with issues is to use the Zoom Reset and Set Max Zoom level. It was there when it was server side but since there was some lag, it bouncing was not as noticeable.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 July 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#15 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

To those saying "it's your fault", hold on. YOU haven't experienced it ≠ it doesn't exist.

OP: I've seen this behaviour occasionally on the Oceanic servers (I'm in Europe... pending article 50 anyway) if I try to do a quick "zoom toggle" to check something. I use a keyboard key set to "toggle zoom level 2"; I originally had it set to toggle max zoom but that enables the adv. zoom module if installed, which I didn't like.

I don't *think* I see it as much with my keyboard shortcut set to "toggle zoom level 2", so you might try swapping the bind temporarily to check if that improves anything.

#16 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

I've seen some erratic behaviour sometimes
I think on higher ping server, I'm in europe so I think I only noticed on oceanic servers

I press the mouse button, it does zoom in
It zooms out for half a second but goes to the zoom level it should just after that

Funky since I thought that shouldn't occur anymore
Hmm
Gonna test it when I can

#17 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with ping.

I've had erratic behavior with the zoom key before, but found it was caused by me pressing the zoom key too fast to get to max zoom level. I use "z" for my zoom, and the results are 100% reproducible (at least on my end). Double tap "z" slow = no issue. Double tap "z" really fast = weird hiccup/lag behavior.

#18 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostAresye, on 04 July 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

I use "z" for my zoom, and the results are 100% reproducible (at least on my end). Double tap "z" slow = no issue. Double tap "z" really fast = weird hiccup/lag behavior.

Hm. Eminently testable. To the MWOcave!
*insert theme music*

#19 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Not for me, I did notice its crystal clear, and that many people can't lead properly with it on, or use it under 300 meters.

but its never acted like a 70 Scifi special effect

#20 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Can confirm. If I try to double tap zoom really fast, it will spaz out like crazy sometimes. (I use my shift key, not the mouse...)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users