Top 10 Reasons Why My Friends Do Not Play ....

66 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you agree? (170 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree?

1. Yes (50 votes [29.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. No (120 votes [70.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

1. No localization of the game in other languages.
2. Bad graphics. And there are no parts. Where the butterfly? Where the grass? Where are people? Where is the wind, the clouds, the fog?
3. There is no destruction of objects. Mech crashes into a house, the house still. Where is the logic?
4. Very few game maps! Procedural generation of random maps?
5. Heavy Mechs exceptional, assolts useless junk.
6. The game have little weapon types.
7. Only few faction play modes. In other games, there is a capture the flag, security guards, phased domination on points. And why you can only play 12 to 12, instead of 64 to 64?
8. Graphics brakes! When you look at the wall 30fps, when the fight it is less than 10. And the fight is on powerful computers.
9. Bad network code (many complain that the damage is ignored when there is 100% certainty hit).
10. Cheats in the game, unfortunately it seems that there are not enough. Someone uses brazenly who then craftily.

UDP:
11. Game not have PVE mode.

Faction Play
1. Vote Map System
2. Search Time + Ghost Drops Or Inner Game

Edited by Nimnul, 17 September 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#2 Mr Pockets

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 21 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn that bastardly Spider

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

Google needs to work on their translations...

#3 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

Fog. We had fog. Everybody got ticked off at it so they removed it.
Breakable objects. Yeah we got a few.
Cheats. Go ahead and use them, get caught, get banned.

Should I continue breaking apart the OP's post.

#4 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:01 PM

So what feature are you suggesting?

#5 Michael Kail

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

The game is a "thinking player's shooter" that requires you to know your equipment, your tactics, and how to coordinate. I think that's the main reason people don't play this game. There's too much to learn on a steep learning curve.

But what fun! I love this game!

#6 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:46 AM

There are games and more difficult. Much more difficult. However, there is a good graphics, and networking code does not slow down, and cheaters who does not regret.

I called people in this game, but they did not play to these reasons. Other played half a year or a year and left. The main reasons here.

Edited by Nimnul, 08 July 2016 - 03:32 AM.

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

some points are valid hardly, most are not - but personal opinion

#8 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:49 AM

- Language: This is the Internet. The worlds greatest, unilateral, multinational connection and communication platform.
The buisiness language on the internet is english.
If you want to get connected to the world learn it and use it. If you don't want to...well....Posted Image

- Bad graphics...huh...butterflys...grass...people...how shall I put this....where would you be if a bunch of 18m crazy warmachienes throw tonns of high explosives, radioactive particle beams and searing hot lazor beams that will still burn you, an unarmored human, to cinders 10 km away.

But you're right adjustable weather and lighting effects would be a nice thing .... for a lobby mode.

- Destructibe objects cost PC performance and if you already got issues in battle....well.
- Few maps, maybe....there could be a variety of all kinds of environment....not a critical issue atm.
- ATM there are very few mechs truely junk in the game. (Kintaro, Trebuchet, Highlander, Victor, Commando, Urbie) But most mechs considdered to be junk are so because their prime role has no good place an the games current state.
- Weapons are according to lore there realy is nothing to complain here. If Battletech lore is a basic problem for you this is not your game.
- Few game modes....well your right. Problem is ppl start to complain when they are required to do anything but shoot other ppl.
-larger scale battles... well you already got problems with performance....what do you think will happen on even larger maps with 2 full Battlemech battalions going for each other.
-Performance yea...performance sucks due to the crappy engine. Its a shooter engine designed for little ppl going at little ppls speeds vs each others not for big stompy robots racing around the maps.
-I do not think there is something you could do with the internet connections provided to"fix" laggs and different pings to get a better hitreg.
-As the game is mostly serverside there are very few cheats. If at all, most fishy things you encounter are simply bug related exploits or your own inability to understand whats going on.

Edited by The Basilisk, 08 July 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:56 AM

My reason is that i don't have any friends.

#10 DivBy0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hallo Nimnul,

Some things are right but most I do not aggree.

1. Localization is nearly no problem for anyone in Europe (incl. Russia), Asia or somewhere in the "First" World. Even I can play the game in english without any real problem and you see my english is terrible :-)

2. Graphic is not bad. In fact I think the graphic is good and I am sure it is the least of all problems of MWO

3. It ´will be nice to have but again.. not a real problem

4. Yes! I will have more maps to. And I do not understand why PGI "fix" maps instead make simple new ones. I would like to play on Frozen City old AND new.

5. Heavys are not bad. I think they are the best class. But assaults... yepp.. not powerfull enough and only canonfodder.

6. No. There are enough weapons. Please no more powercreep

7. Yes, you are right. We need more Playmodes is FP AND QP

8. No problem by me. I have no High End machine and a Radeon 380 but stable Framerates over 40. Most time over 100

9. The Networkcode is great! But not great enough for this little OP light rats like the locust. They are tankier than an Atlas with their Lag-Shield (dodge damage).

10. I don´t think that cheating is a real problem at this time. Most time I recognize nothing "unnatural". But I have seen cheaters too! I hope PGI ban them complete and forever.

View PostNimnul, on 04 July 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

1. No localization of the game in other languages.
2. Bad graphics. And there are no parts. Where the butterfly? Where the grass? Where are people? Where is the wind, the clouds, the fog?
3. There is no destruction of objects. The robot crashes into a house, the house still. Where is the logic?
4. Very few game maps!
5. Heavy Mechs exceptional, assolts useless junk.
6. The game have little weapon types.
7. Only few faction play modes. In other games, there is a capture the flag, security guards, phased domination on points. And why you can only play 12 to 12, instead of 64 to 64?
8. Graphics brakes! When you look at the wall 30fps, when the fight it is less than 10. And the fight is on powerful computers.
9. Bad network code (many complain that the damage is ignored when there is 100% certainty hit).
10. Cheats in the game, unfortunately it seems that there are not enough. Someone uses brazenly who then craftily.

#11 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 08 July 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

- Destructibe objects cost PC performance and if you already got issues in battle....well.
-larger scale battles... well you already got problems with performance....

The game slows down not because I have a bad computer. And because the game code is not optimized. I go the newest games without brakes Crysis 3 for example. Therefore, you should not say that it is my problem or is the problem of players, it is the problem of developers. They need to find a standing professional and \ or investors.

#12 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 08 July 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

- Language: This is the Internet. The worlds greatest, unilateral, multinational connection and communication platform.
The buisiness language on the internet is english.

I come to the game is not for business but for relax. And for that matter, I would learn Chinese.

Edited by Nimnul, 08 July 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#13 Michael Kail

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

View PostNimnul, on 08 July 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

I come to the game is not for business but for relax. And for that matter, I would learn Chinese.

Why learn Chinese? The Chinese are learning English faster than England and America combined. Chinese law requires that students start learning English in the 3rd grade. India produces more English speakers with 4-year college degrees than America does. China is the world's largest English-speaking country.

That being said, I still think it is rude to throw someone's language in his or her face as a retort to an argument. Have some class. Keep playing and enjoy the game, Nimnul. Ignore The Basilisk's comment about English.

#14 Danjo San

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

Why my friends don't play? They are used to the fast paced Counterstrike and Team Fortress and alike and think Mechwarrior is boring because it is "slow".
It is like the taste of music, if you don't like the style you don't listen to it.

#15 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

My friends don't play because it seems expensive / time consuming to get started (among these are guys who have been regularly playing the pen&paper version for thirty years).

Potentially the most important aspect is that their first impressions are that they start the game with the odds heavily stacked against them (in all sorts of ways) and that the only solution is to spend a significant amount of money just to try it out on a level playing field.

F2P players for example barely get enough access to mechs to scratch the surface and are at all sorts of disadvantages compared to regular players - their first games are almost guaranteed to be a bad experience.

While they're dipping their toes in as either F2P or just new subscribers, their selection of mechs (of the over 200 available) is entirely inconsequential and they'll regularly be matched against much more experienced players with all sorts of tricked-out mechs. They can't even **** around with silly colours or have the mild satisfaction of taking the game somewhat seriously with reasonably attractive / effective colour schemes.

They're nearly all role-players and game after game, hour after hour of brawling feels very shallow and repetitive - compounded by the very limited selection of mechs and almost non-existent customisation - where customisation is in many ways the core of traditional BattleTech / Mechwarrior gameplay upon which the entire meta & tactical game is based.

In short, it's really tough to get into if you're not already sold on the game... and the game is not doing a great job of selling its features or gameplay because they're essentially all reserved for dedicated players.

#16 Jesslp

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEspaña

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:02 AM

View Postvon Haudegen, on 08 July 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

4. Yes! I will have more maps to. And I do not understand why PGI "fix" maps instead make simple new ones. I would like to play on Frozen City old AND new.

I really agree with that. And not only Frozen City, obviously. ALL of the reworked maps, unless they have serious technical issues.

Also, it would be great having 8 vs 8, when there's not enough people playing on either Quick Play or Faction Play; so wait times are shorter or non-existant.

Or 6 vs 6. Whatever it takes, but not 10 mins or more waiting to play, sometimes only to do a "ghost drop".

View PostKynesis, on 11 July 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

My friends don't play because it seems expensive / time consuming to get started (among these are guys who have been regularly playing the pen&paper version for thirty years).

Potentially the most important aspect is that their first impressions are that they start the game with the odds heavily stacked against them (in all sorts of ways) and that the only solution is to spend a significant amount of money just to try it out on a level playing field.

F2P players for example barely get enough access to mechs to scratch the surface and are at all sorts of disadvantages compared to regular players - their first games are almost guaranteed to be a bad experience.

While they're dipping their toes in as either F2P or just new subscribers, their selection of mechs (of the over 200 available) is entirely inconsequential and they'll regularly be matched against much more experienced players with all sorts of tricked-out mechs. They can't even **** around with silly colours or have the mild satisfaction of taking the game somewhat seriously with reasonably attractive / effective colour schemes.

They're nearly all role-players and game after game, hour after hour of brawling feels very shallow and repetitive - compounded by the very limited selection of mechs and almost non-existent customisation - where customisation is in many ways the core of traditional BattleTech / Mechwarrior gameplay upon which the entire meta & tactical game is based.

In short, it's really tough to get into if you're not already sold on the game... and the game is not doing a great job of selling its features or gameplay because they're essentially all reserved for dedicated players.

You're right. In this conditions is very hard to get your friends to play MWO.

A single player campaign, newbie's 4 vs 4 matches, or fighting AI mechs on the training grounds, would all greatly help in this regard.

Edited by Jesslp, 12 July 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#17 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostDanjo San, on 10 July 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

Why my friends don't play? They are used to the fast paced Counterstrike and Team Fortress and alike and think Mechwarrior is boring because it is "slow".
It is like the taste of music, if you don't like the style you don't listen to it.

My son has been playing TF(and now TF2) since TF started. I mentioned about the slower pace of MWO and he pointed out some of the vids of Light pilots can be extremely hectic. He'd install MWO but he needs a bigger disk.

#18 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Some of your points have some validity to them, but many of them are nonsensical.

Just because you are bad at a game, does not mean everyone else is cheating and the netcode is bad. MWO is actually one of the few games that handles both of these far to common online game issues correctly. Hitboxes occasionally need adjusting every now and then, but the game handles network information fabulously (other then it takes way too long to connect to servers and still doesn't use multithreading while waiting for a match). Cheaters are pretty much unheard of and get banned pretty quickly if they do show up. The main reason this is so, is because the netcode design is good, and the devs were not stupid enough to trust the client with anything.

#19 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:55 AM

lol @ "get better English comments". From my experience, a lot of people(in US) that I had met, and who complained about others not being able to speak English up to their standard, knew NO OTHER LANGUAGE.
And to others, and @ Nimnul, his English is fine! I understood what he was saying

Back to your game comments. Yes the game has issues, but it is not as bad as you make it sound. There are lots of great things about it. Developers have an established communication link with players, and they do listen. The game is constantly evolving.

+1 to: More small reference objects are needed in the game. The bots still don't feel like they are storeys high.

#20 Seddrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

No to everything. No weather no graphically slowing extraneous material. I am here to blow up mechs... not walk through butterflies.

Could always use more maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users