Why Should I Buy The Linebacker?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

I was checking out the new promo today for the Linebacker. It looks like it has decent energy and missile omnipod hardpoint potential, but I can't for the life of me understand why I'd want to buy one. Low-slung arms aside, it only has about 17.5 tons of podspace and very few slots open to use it. It basically looks like a beefy Stormcrow, which is an awesome mech, but I don't know what I'm getting for the extra ten tons.
Can anybody sell me on why this mech is worth it?

#2 Iiskra

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

CW buddies complain at you for not running anything north of 55 tons and your reasoning is they are too slow. Otherwise, no. No reason. I cannot imagine it will have even decent hitboxes, it's really fat looking.

#3 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

Basically, this thing is a hit and run heavy, much like the Dragon when equipped with a max-sized engine. I'd say use SRMs and Medium lasers and play it like an Ice Ferret.

#4 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

There is a small possibility of high mounted side torso weapons?

#5 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

If there aren't, it won't be worth picking at all, over the stormcrow.

#6 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I'm honestly quite disappointed that it turned out to be a heavy mech that they planned after the Huntsman. This game needs more lights and assaults to round out the pool.

#7 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

They said a while back 2 mediums and 2 heavies would be the next clan.

I can't honestly see the point in another clan light, for game play purposes, your not likely to beat the Arctic Cheeter.

Both I.S and clan now, your pretty much buying for the look

#8 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Keep it mind it has 4 DHS hardlocked into the engine. Not a game changer, but it basically puts the available payload up to ~20.5 tons, since I'm sure no one ever thought of running a gaussboat here.
I think is a bit underrated actually. Probably not CW material due to the tons cap, but still a fun striker for public queue. A lot will depend on how tall it is (shouldn't be too much) and the ortho.
Also, if they ever release the heavy laser version (H), we would have access to 6 JJ, 3 in each side torso.

Personally I am waiting for ortho and scale before purchasing.

#9 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

It looks big and basically like a Clan version of the Archer, which I also don't feel any fire for.

#10 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostOmniseed, on 10 July 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

It looks big and basically like a Clan version of the Archer, which I also don't feel any fire for.

Why the archer? I don't see much resemblance. From the front is more a Warhammer: squared defined side torsos, low arms. From the side looks a bit like a Marauder: long pronounced head and those "spoilers/wings" side torsos. The arms are really similar.
Well, it's a squared, fat Marauder. However this could be a plus: since it's lighter and fatter, probably it will be quite lower than the former.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

That's tin-foil hat-wearing crazy. What you're trying to say is that the mech packs are pay to win - and that's just not true. I'd also be more likely to chalk it up to simple ignorance if people hadn't been pedling this same lie since the first Hero 'mech was released. As it is, it sounds suspiciously like the lies told by "reviewers" of the game just prior to the Steam release, who engaged in a deliberate campaign of misinformation in an attempt to scare players away from the game - in the grandiose intention of "making it fail." They got drowned out by actual new players who enjoyed the game - it's not going to work for you either.

Edited by Void Angel, 14 July 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 14 July 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Why do I say this? Whatever mech you buy will not stay the way. So what are you buying it? So you can be a wallet warrior for a month or so. PGI should work on actual balance and fix the mecks that are not used instead of nerfing everything into the ground so they can fill the vacuum with mechs that you have to buy.

View PostSource Mystic, on 14 July 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

I never said it was pay to win it is no quite there yet but the fact is pgi over quarks all mechs that you can only buy for mc or real money is a fact it is a well known fact. It is also a well known fact that right before a mech goes up for sale for c-bills( free in game currency) it gets nerfed. If you can not reconcile these two obvious facts I can not help you.

No, you said just exactly that - that you have to buy 'mechs to compete. You justify this patent falsehood with a conspiracy theory that PGI nerfs 'mechs after they come out for c-bills in order to force you to buy mech packs. I'm... still waiting for my Marauders to be "nerfed into the ground."

This is precisely what you said, and trying to spin your earlier statement with weasel words ("not quite there yet") - along with shameless appeals to common knowledge - isn't going to fly. No matter how many times you string the word "fact" into a meandering, run-on sentence, these opinions will remain untrue.

Edited by Void Angel, 15 July 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#13 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 14 July 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

I never said it was pay to win it is no quite there yet but the fact is pgi over quarks all mechs that you can only buy for mc or real money is a fact it is a well known fact. It is also a well known fact that right before a mech goes up for sale for c-bills( free in game currency) it gets nerfed. If you can not reconcile these two obvious facts I can not help you.

So far as the game it would be great if they actually balanced it instead of this rolling nerf bs.

They need to get off their A$$ and fix lights , fix the vast junk yard of mechs that they have created by nerfing them into the ground. and instead of nerfing mechs that are good. Bring the junkyard mechs up to that standard.

Nerfing everything down to the crappiest most inefficient option left is what is happening look at lights now.
Look at the locust now as it is ...it is fine
Then look at it after they get done with it on the 19th

Just look at how this game is run and you will see exactly what I do.

As for the game I like the game I dislike the way it is managed or I should say mismanaged.

I just do not take actual game-play as serious at most anymore I just can not . I play what I want when I want and I do not play the "meta crutch" mechs that so many play and then ***** about it being under powered.

If you want to play this game and have fun do just that do not expect pgi to fix anything that is all I am saying.

If mech packs are pay to win, why was the PXH panned for having shite quirks? Why would they release the Viper, instead of simply pushing the Huntsman? Why have all the unseen mechs been complained about upon release for lackluster quirks? The MAD works simply by virtue of hitboxes, as does the Warhammer, but I have heard plenty of people verbally defecating all over the Archer.

Every single one of the mech packs they have released recently have been whined about as having lackluster quirks. Even the PXH with its absurd engine cap hasn't seen much action at all once the first few days died down.

Stop with the PGI pay to win spiel. It isn't legitimate. I've been called a shill before and you'll likely try that line - go ahead with the ad hominem since reality fails to support your actual argument.

PGI has also screwed the pooch so, so epically hard. I call them out for it too! Look at the Long Tom. Look at the mess with big units in FP phase 3. Look at anything and everything spoken by or otherwise related to Russ. Spawn locations for Alpine, spawn locations for Alpine Domination ten times over. The redone Forest Colony is bad and the redone Frozen city is appallingly, unapologetically utterly fetid, stinking, slimy, rotten garbage!

See? Legitimate things to focus your negative attention upon.

PGI fails hard in many ways, but selling single-mech packs is a *good* idea because you can pick and choose instead of putting down $120 for four mechs only to get the HBR (good) with the GAR (pretty terrible), IFR (I enjoy it but everybody else hates it and you probably do too), and finally the MLX (the name itself is enough). You can pay for shiny camo if you so please. You can pay for more variants (PXH reinforcements were appallingly bad so that's not pay to win either). You can pay for heroes like the Legend Killer (the only Rifleman I never bothered to even finish basics with).

And best of all you can buy the base pack and then wait to see the quirks and such before going for more variants!

You'll probably bring up the Black Knight being castrated via rescale. But guess what? The Grasshopper is now better than ever! So by your logic when the Knight was nerfed the next 75-tonner should have been super-quirked. But the Marauder was unchanged and the *previous* heavy mech from Resistance 1 came out on top. How is that pay to win? Plus with the rescale the Nova and a lot of other mechs that were totally useless are now viable.

As to light mechs, there is little that gives me the willys (spelled properly is censored?) in a heavy let alone an assault as a good Locust, Oxide but JR7 in general, or Raven pilot. To say nothing of the Cheetah - though I don't scare as easily with those as a Locust or Oxide.

Finally, look at the Hunchback. One of the first mechs released is currently one of the strongest IS mediums by quirkage. Same for the Blackjack. Nobody's having to buy those for cash - they may *choose* to, but that is *their own prerogative*. Their choice.

I could go on even further but your argument has been thoroughly eviscerated, so I bid you adieu.

Edited by grendeldog, 14 July 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#14 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 14 July 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

YOU SHOULD NOT BUY THE LINE BACKER OR ANY MECH FOR THAT MATTER SINCE ALL OF THEM WILL BE NERFED AFTER THEY GO FOR C-BILLS. THEIR IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BUY MECHS IN MECH WARRIOR.

Why do I say this? Whatever mech you buy will not stay the way. So what are you buying it? So you can be a wallet warrior for a month or so. PGI should work on actual balance and fix the mecks that are not used instead of nerfing everything into the ground so they can fill the vacuum with mechs that you have to buy.

relax broseph and let the discussion happen

#15 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

With the exception of the Kodiak, there haven't been a really good mech pack since the Warhammer, with the Rifleman coming in as "passable". The other mechs, by and large have either been underquirked, had poor hardpoints, bad hitboxes, and a host of other problems that really keep them from being worth anything other than a C bill purchase, and even the Rifleman was probably not worth real money.

So no, there's not a lot lot of reason to be buying mech packs right now, aside from the Kodiak.

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostCathy, on 09 July 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

I can't honestly see the point in another clan light, for game play purposes, your not likely to beat the Arctic Cheeter.

By that logic no heavy should have ever been implemented after the TBR or med after the Crow. Diversity is a good thing, not everyone want nothing but one easy ride.

#17 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

You shouldn't, not for real money, anyway.

View PostCathy, on 09 July 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Locust IIC would wreck ****. 5 tons heavier than the IS Locust, with a much higher engine cap. Stock 200 rated engine = 280 max, but they'd actually have to cap it around a 245, as any faster would break the 170kph threshold speed tweaked.

#18 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostMercworks, on 08 July 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

I was checking out the new promo today for the Linebacker. It looks like it has decent energy and missile omnipod hardpoint potential, but I can't for the life of me understand why I'd want to buy one. Low-slung arms aside, it only has about 17.5 tons of podspace and very few slots open to use it. It basically looks like a beefy Stormcrow, which is an awesome mech, but I don't know what I'm getting for the extra ten tons.
Can anybody sell me on why this mech is worth it?

Why do you need people to convince you to buy something? Especially when you know it's going to be subpar. There's no way to sell it, it's objectively not good.

The only reason to buy it is if you really want a Linebacker.

#19 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

Do you want a 65ton clan mech? Get Ebon jag or Hellbringer, they are fast for their size and pack good fire power.

#20 Valleric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

I think it's going to be awesome. My favorite play style is hit and run srm6 tactics. To alpha light mech's legs is the greatest joy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users