3 replies to this topic

#1 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war. - John Adams, Terran traitor and statesmen

Vihreä Hills,
Lahti,
Free Worlds League,
April 1st, 3027

“All contacts down or running for it, Cardinal.”

I can't help but grin as the reports come in. A pirate raid successfully driven off, another mark in the win column and not soon enough. There isn't much left of the lights and mediums they threw at us to salvage but after that **** Greg pulled at the last staff meeting about “the responsibilities of command” what this will do for the unit, for me, is worth more than a thousand tons of salvage.

“Roger that 1-9. Musketeers good job today. Now let's pack it in folks let's see if-”[

“Check! Check!” A voice young and eager rings in my ear and I snap to attention. “Check” is a command override call for company commanders to issue so that they have clear coms, it allows crucial messages can be relayed in the heat of battle. We drill the command constantly, even during briefings and or off duty days so that it's second nature to shut up the moment we hear it. I know it seems...intense, but I swear It'll save all of ours lives one day.

I can't place the voice. My heads up display says it belongs to one of third companies scouts. It's hard to pinpoint exactly whose voice it is over the constant thrum of my Marauder’s fusion engine but if I had to guess it's Butterball. No one else has the gumption to issue a unit wide command while not holding rank.

“Silas, This is the Cardinal. Go ahead.” Silas, he's a good kid. Hell, I shouldn't even think of him as a kid, after all he's the same age as Sandy and after another year or two I'll hand the unit off to her. He's just excitable is all. Maybe a little accident prone, but reliable. I'm hoping that'll rub off on the rest of third company. Reliability is a rare trait in the unit these days. Yeah, Silas is one of the good ones. Goes by Butterfly, and I'll admit he can make that Cicada 3C of his float, but no one calls him that. After so many slips and falls and bumps on the way out of the dropship he's just Butters, or Butterfinger, Butterball. Sometimes I think he has more nicknames than we have pilots in the battalion.

“Sir! Oh man, Jackpot....sir, I'm picking up the raider's radio frequency, patching it in live. Listen to this!”

“...Damnit. Ton for ton they beat us. Pull back to the dropship before we lose anyone else. Fu....ing mercenaries. Again all units fall back to the following coordinates. Let's get the hell out of here before they follow us home...”

Suddenly I’m as excited as Butters. If we weren't in multi ton war machines and few kilometers apart I could hug him. This is...this is incredible.

“All units, this is Cardinal. We all just heard the same thing. Punch those cords into your navcomputers and get ready to move as a group, march speed. Our luck just turned around!”

People are cheering. My heart races faster and faster. We haven't had a proper cheer since mom passed away. They know what this means. A dropship is worth a fortune. Even if we can't afford to maintain it we could sell it to the Mairks for hard cash or use it to haggle for a better contract, a real contract, no more under the table raids, no more 'questionable acts'. My palms are sweating. I knew we'd have our comeuppance if we just stayed together.

“1-12 to Cardinal. Permission to scout ahead?” I catch myself before I groan into the comset. 1-12, Zach Humbolt, Smokey. He's been a constant headache since he joined the unit. I've read that scouts especially Firestarter pilots are known for their “independent natures” but he's by far the worst I've ran across. Sometimes I think that Captain Keyes is encouraging his attitude just to undermine me.

“Negative 1-12. Negative. We don't want to spook them if they ping a lone scout. We'll hit them as a wall.”

“Sir, they'll never see me coming. Let me lead us in.”

“Damnit, Smokey. If I see your Firestarter come off the line so much as an inch I'll donate her to the locals.” The threat of being dispossessed, a mechless mechwarrior, is enough to cow 1-12 back into formation. I understand that he's just trying to do his job, but if we scare the dropship off we've lost our prize. The risk is worth the reward. Besides, we've driven the raiders off once how big of a threat could they be?

First and second companies have already started moving towards the objective. Unfortunately third company is scattered across hell's half acre. We don't have time to wait for them to join us.

“3-1, You have rear guard. Everyone else move up!”

“Roger that Card. 3-Command, 3-Support form up. 3-Pursuit get your as-....”

I cut unit coms off. Captain Cartman can herd third company without my help, he's an old school colour sergeant. The last of the “old guard” from the Avalon Hussars and I know he'll keep the Pranksters in line.

“2-5, This is Cardinal do you read.” I say as I open a private comlink.

“Card, 2-5. Go ahead.”

“Sandy, I want you to take point on this one. Move the Bullies up front, I want everyone to see this as your victory.”

“Okay Dad.” I can hear the smile in her voice.[

I cut the link before I say something embarrassing. She doesn't need her old man telling her how proud of her he is all the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ambush! Ambush!”

A pit forms in my stomach. I'm moving up a long ridge line, a mixed force of second and first company is already on the other side making their way down the opposite side of the hill. I can't see anything save Longshot's Warhammer in front of me but I can hear the detonations of LRM even from here.

“Repeat?” I shout over the coms. It takes just a few seconds but it feels like hours before I hear anything back.

“Four...six...Ten contacts..Medium/Heavy. They're hitting us at range-” The voice belongs to Conner O'Casey. A Griffin pilot attached to Carpeaux's Battle Lance. He's tweaked that old 1N's sensors way beyond anything Apple Interstellar ever intended.

“Everyone forward. Flank speed. Close with them. Push, Push, Push!” I throttle my engine to max speed and race up the incline with the majority of the Musketeers around me. Even over the sounds of battle and the crunching of my own mechs footfalls I hear the telltale sound of a reactor going critical. I check the display. Not one of ours. Thank God. “Once you are over the ridge focus fire. We have them outnumbered!”

I'm almost at the top of the ridge. A few more steps and I can get a clear picture of what's going on. I'm one of the few left on 'our' side of the hill.

“Contacts climbing! Fourteen...twenty...fifty, still climbing. Blake's blood, we're dead.” Connor says his thick Northwind accent coming through clear.

“Repeat?” I say struggling to keep panic out of my voice.

“I...I'm sorry Sir, they must have been shut down to hide their pings. I-” I hear the detonations and impacts of warheads and autocannon rounds as they slam into Conner's medium mech. Suddenly the sound stops and even without visual confirmation I know that he's gone.

“Holy mother of...fall back! 1-5 to all Musketeers, fall back.” The voice of Lt Britney Vietch picks up where poor Conner’s left off “Everyone out of the valley. We need to take posit-” The explosion of 1-5's death seems to shake the very foundations of the planet and I have fight to hold my mech straight as the rock and soil is blasted loose beneath me. I take that last step over the ridge and its chaos.

The com net is alive with questions. Half the unit is engaged and the other is still humping its way over the hill. The enemy, dozens of mechs painted midnight black, are advancing as a wall out of a treeline. PPC and Autocannon fire slams along the hill as they pour fire into us. The remains of a light blue Shadowhawk smolder at the foot of the hill. Even from here I can tell that there is no way Lt. Vietch punched out in time. The rest of her lance, a collection of brazen young women who defiantly call themselves the Amazons, are still in the kill box.

“Vietch is gone! Amazons fall back, 1-6, 1-7 give me cover and I can..” 1-8's voice breaks off as a PPC blast destroys her Scorpion’s cockpit. My hand tightens. What will I tell her little boy?[/color]
“Cardinal! We need orders!” A voice in my ear brings me back to reality. The rest of my command lance is providing supporting fire, and I join them instinctively. An enemy Orion explodes under the torrent of fire.

“Everyone, form on the ridge. Take the high ground we can...” I'm stopped mid sentence as an Ostroc in Musketeers colors collapses. Its left leg sheared off at the knee the heavy battlemech slides more than tumbles halfway down the hill. A Grasshopper and Victor advance from cover to protect the fallen machine.

I don't scream. I don't move. I don't even shoot. The battle becomes a distant backdrop to a father's fear.

“3-9 is down. Form up, form up. Protect Sandy!” The clipped syllables of Mechwarrior Odessa draconian English bring me back to reality. Odessa, Yojimbo, is Sandy's bodyguard and one of the best Grasshopper jockeys I've ever seen. He'll keep her safe he'll...

“SIR, WE NEED ORDERS.”

All around me the battle is raging. Calls for reinforcements, enemy locations, and the blood choked cries of the dying fill my cockpit. I have to make a choice. Now.

I make the call.

Not as a leader of men, but as a scared father.

“Everyone, push forward, form up on me. 2-1 move the Monsters up to provide covering fire. We need to pull Sandy out. Odessa is she...”

“Negative.” A new voice cuts across the comlink. “All musketeers this is Captain Keyes belay that last order. Move to the ridge and hold if you are-”

I snap over to a private link.

“Greg! What the hell do you think you are doing?”

“Saving anyone who's left! We need to pull back Rien.”

“She's my daughter!”

“She isn't worth all of our deaths!”

“Goddamnit we can still save her we can-” I don't get to finish my words as a command override pushes me back into the general channel.

“Check, Check! Contacts in the rear. We've been flanked...Haymaker! Get back here!” Captain Cartman sounds haggard. He's pushin eighty now.

“I got him, I got him...”

"Jacob fall back in line that's an order I've...” Another voice cut short. I know that I'll never see his old smiling face again.

Our coms are chaotic. Lance commanders are trying to rally their troops. Keyes is countermanding every order I give. I yell 'check' but no one is listening anymore.

“What are our orders?”

“Watch those Griffins on the right!”

“Fall back!”

“Piper, I got a tail. Take the shot!”

[Awesomes! A full lance! Watchou-”

“Winchester! Winchester! I’m dry. Pull back Stewart, pull back….Stewart, No!”

“Get under their guns! Move! Move!”

“Goddammit! We're dying out here!” Odessa is screaming into his mic as he crouches his Grasshopper over Sandra's downed Ostroc. Literally shielding her with his own body. Over and over he's calling out for help.

“BANZAII!!!!”

The Drac war cry rings out across coms drowning out everything else as Takeo Sakuraba breaks from the cover of the ridge line and charges the advancing enemies. A handful of other pilots follow the mad samurai on her suicide run only to be downed near instantly under the unrelenting fire. Miraculously, Takeo's Wolverine still looked pristine when she ignited her fifty-five tonner's jumpjets and slammed into an oncoming Warhammer with what had to have been a tooth shattering tackle.

All along the line the pirates are pushing us. We’re strung out across the better part of mile. In the distance I see Captain Marlowe’s command squad firing down range. Their custom machines look like something from an astech’s nightmare but I’m thankful for the added weight of fire they bring. A Shadowhawk with a skull and crossbones painted across its wide chest dies under the gaze of Frankenstein's Monsters.

“2-3, 2-1” Captain Marlowe’s voice short and breathless cuts in. “Keep firing lad!”

“Turret isn't responding. Weapons unresponsive. I’m crippled! Falling back, I... "”

“Dammit, Jim. Get that assault back in the fight! I…<Heat Critical, System Override>...SHUT UP COMPUTER! YOU PIECE OF CAP...ELLEN..SH...KING..ORE” Marlowe’s screams are replaced with static. If he’s been forced to override his Ostol's emergency shut down they must be getting pushed even harder than I can see.

I open my mouth to order additional units to support the Monster's position only for another cry for help to cut me off.

“Where is my support! They're surrounding me. f...king cover me people.”

I torso twist to the left to see Longshot's Warhammer, steam bleeding off of it in waves that turn the air around it hazy, a pack of fast movers has closed on him.

]“I'm-” At first I think we've lost him as well but as his mech sags, its twin Donal PPC barrels sloping to the ground, I realize he's just over heated. A small mercy. His attackers, five in total, are smart though. Instead of focusing on his disabled mech they push further into our lines.

I'm the only one close enough to respond.

“All units, Form on me. Incoming hostiles. Prepare for CQB.” I say into my mic. Silence answers me and only then do I realize that at some point a stray round as destroyed my communications array leaving me mute. I howl in rage. I can still hear the pleas and war cries of the men and women I've lead to their deaths. From the corner of my eye I see the humanoid frames of Odessa's Grasshopper and Lt. Carpeaux's Blacknight dragging what's left of my daughter's Ostroc back up the hill past the remains of a smoldering musketeer Victor. My eyes water. The Ostroc is a broken thing, limbless and almost unrecognizable. No one could have survived the punishment it's received.

Anger and shame wash over me as I move my Marauder to intercept the five oncoming raiders. A glance at my tactical map shows that the surviving Musketeers are rallying around Keyes and Carpeaux’s locations but they’ll need time. If the pirates hit them in the flank before they’ve formed defensive fire lanes they’ll get slaughtered. I draw my sights over the torso of an oncoming Phoenix Hawk.

I’ll hold as long as I can.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Good afternoon, Rockcastle.

On our broadcast this evening; A rising death toll in the floods affecting Port Howard, we'll have chilling new details from on scene rescue workers.

New warnings from the Gran Food Authority about Moa meat found in your local superstores.

A Dream come true, the story of a local man whose lifelong work has finally come to fruition.

And a possible tipping point in MercGate? Protesters surround the Lombardy Interstellar Spaceport demanding answers as the incoming mercenary force makes its final descent into the atmosphere.

I'm Oscar Sharp, and you're watching Channel 4 News at 4.

Our top story this afternoon is a continuation of last night's two part series on the fallout of the MercGate scandal. With Duke Jonathan Howard's camp swearing that the New Musketeers mercenary command is here to protect all citizens of Gran why has he gone over the Founder's Council and hired soldiers of fortune with his personal fortune instead of following procedure to raise the required funds the democratic way? While the Duke himself has failed to comment, retired Force Commander Arjan Singh, the Duke's defense adviser has publicly said that the mercenaries multimillion m-bill contract have been paid for out of the Duke's own assets to lower the burden placed on the tax paying citizens of Gran.

But who are these Musketeers and who are they defending us from?

With these questions and more, we go to Channel 2 reporter Melody Kramer who is live at Lombardy Interstellar....”

Edited by G is for Gamma, 09 July 2016 - 06:57 PM.

#2 BSODomizer

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:18 PM

Cold sweat drenched Silas' forehead as he awoke with a start. It took a good few minutes for him to realize he wasn't on Lahti, and more importantly, that the comm chatter he'd heard in his dream wasn't real, wasn't repeating again. It was all he could do to sit up in his bunk, undergarments soaked, sheet drenched. He let his legs fall over the side of the bed, and sat, hanging his head into his hands for a moment, running his fingers through messy hair.

How, he thought to himself, how could I be so stupid? I'd rehearsed ambush protocol... I knew the signs...

The usual morning routine that followed what he had coined as the "Ol' Musk Nightmare" consisted typically of beating oneself up for an hour and a half or so, but today, he just felt exhausted. The fleeting images of the ruined mechs he'd seen accompanying his own bent Cicada couldn't easily be wrenched from the mind, so he let them linger, let the feeling of guilt wash over him for the umpteenth time. The look on the pilot's faces, though, the ones he'd seen when he'd finally been pulled out of his cowardly cockpit... Those were the images that were burned in. He rubbed his forehead with both hands for awhile, maybe two, three minutes, before he looked around the room. Still on Gran. There were worse places to be.

Butterboy stepped himself up to the standing mirror near the door, took a good look at himself. He had on nothing more than undershorts and an olive wife beater which sat against his lean form due to the sweat, with much discomfort.

What was it she'd said?

Butterboy, it's not your fault! Retreat, go! Just don't clog comms-!

Barb's famous last words. Well, famous to him, he was sure nobody else knew the lance lead had heard his breakdown in the cockpit that day, while they heard their comrades fall... Hearing the noise of her death... Even though she told him what was true, that he hadn't meant to do it, he still had.

It was he, Silas Reichswher, whom had given the data that lead to the ambush. He ran a hand through his hair again. Today was just like many, many other days before it. He awoke alone, without the rest of his lance, in a room, by himself. No Barb, no Twins, just an empty head full of doubt and remorse. But who could blame him now? Surely, the ones left to point the finger were all dead. But was it really his fault? Or was Barb right?

You didn't give the order, Silas! Two on your six, I'll delay them, cut around west to the rendevous with Ebony and Ivory for a fire support role, we're going to push back into them! These buggers are fast... agh! They got my leg!

Silas shook his head. Nothing on Solaris could have possibly prepared him for this sort of thing. Even though it had been some time, even though he vowed not to give it up, he still felt like cutting and running, just as he did when he watched the Twins' Javelins falling to the light swarm they'd been treated to during the ambush. It was all he could do to get away, and deep down? Deep down, he knew those three would have had his balls for not allowing at least one of their lance to survive. So he'd done it, he'd used all of his skill and expertise, he'd out-piloted two light pursuers... He'd ruined his grandfather's Cicada in the process. It had taken weeks to rebuild the legs, he was oh-so-lucky enough damage wasn't done to the torso to proclaim it an entirely new mech by the time it was rebuilt.

By the time he left the room, he'd dawned a pair of thin, black denim trousers and the usual furred leather flight-jacket he wore around the base, taking the "Walk of Shame", the other term he'd coined, for the older members of the New Musketeers whom paced passed the mech bays in remembrance of the fallen. Three of the bays housed mechs whom no longer had a pilot, each of them killed faster than their mech could be, or faster than they could eject, more accurately. They sat solemn and dusty, waiting for their next new legacy to begin. He stopped in front of the first one, and couldn't help but light up a smoke, taking a drag, something he never thought of doing before Lahti, but after he'd found Ebony's personal stash, well... He only ever did this in front of her old Javelin. The lights weren't on in the bay, but he knew exactly what it looked like. He took the usual single, long, drawn out drag, then flicked it at the mech as a gesture of gratitude, adding it to the little pile he'd started. If only she was here to berate him, slap him upside the head, anything...

He passed onward to the other two mechs. He didn't know who's they were, but they stood, tall, empty, maybe proud, vacant because of him.

He'd asked for, and been granted, with special permissions, the bay just next to the three "empties". Stopping at the fourth in the row, he looked up to his grandfather's mech, and shivered. The paint job had been returned to the original by his request, save for the markings of the Musketeers, the mixed light camouflage which had served to hide him so well from the prying eyes of the Solarian police forces. He leaned against the front of the bay wall, and heaved a sigh. Garrison duty sucks.

Edited by The Rogue Falcon, 16 July 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#3 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:40 AM

Lombardy Compound
Gran, FWL
Garrison +1, 05:34 hrs, 3027

For as far back as he could remember, Zach had always been an early riser. From his early childhood at Tigovosye's branch of 'Our Lady of Perpetual Help' orphanage, to his conscription as a mud muncher in the 6th Defenders of Andurien, this had been the case.

Early to bed, early to rise...

The quiet time, before the hustle and bustle of the day allowed him a chance to gather his thoughts, to focus on the day's upcoming task, or in this case, enjoy a sun rise on a new planet. That was the one thing he truly enjoyed about his occupation, traveling to new places and seeing the natural beauty the universe had to offer. So far Gran hadn't disappointed, Zach thought while watching 'rosy fingered dawn' starting to inch over a wooded horizon. He smiled recalling Anton Marik's words calling Gran the Jade Jewel of the League and found himself agreeing with the dead tyrant.

Thinking of the failed despot brought a sour taste to Zach's mouth, dispelling the hold that Dawn's sunrise had on him, and making him think of the situation that he and his unit were in. They were down to a short company and well people were still butt hurt after the ambush and ensuing fist fight, but that was to be expected, right? Right now what they needed to do was lick their wounds and gather their thoughts. And as boring as garrison duty was, it offered them the chance to do just that.

Giving the rapidly brightening horizon a weak smile, Zach turned and began his trek back into the interior of the 'lodge' focusing on the day's task; reinsulating the power coupling on his firestarter's main laser. And if the Musketeer's disbanded and went their own way, Smokey could at least say that this rock had an awesome sunrise. And that was something.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 16 July 2016 - 05:44 AM.

#4 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

Lombardy Forest
Gran, FWL
June 2nd 3028, 0620 Hrs

The early morning dew was rapidly reaching critical mass, as the water coalesced it formed a small droplet that began to slide down the side of the dark green foliage. Racing to the edge of the leaf the droplet took the unavoidable plunge falling off and down onto Alexander’s pale wrist. Alexander remained motionless as he peered over his M&G G-150 Rifle at the water that had scattered across the back on his hand and was now slowly rolling down onto the dirt below. The water was a minor annoyance at best which Alexander quickly pushed out of his mind, but it still pulled attention away from the task at hand. Alexander had spent the better part of the morning tracking down the local white tail deer population in the hopes of acquiring a better source of food then the survival packs they had been living off of on the jumpships for the past months. Luckily for him he had discovered what looked to be a popular crossing from the forest edge across an open field and finally to a river where it seemed likely many of the local wildlife had congregated for fresh water. Alexander had been laying on the forest floor on the very edge of the tree line hiding among the tall grasses and shrubs concealing his position while still having a clear view of the field. The tip of his G-150 barrel split the tall green grasses before him allowing for a magnified view through his scope. The slight downgrade of the terrain gave Alexander a perfect position to see anything that tried to approach the river while still keeping himself concealed. There hadn’t been much activity other than a few small Rhea birds rushing across his field of view but Alexander decided to skip on the small game in the hopes for something larger to cross into his kill box. The sun had finally began to creep up over the hills illuminating the open field and glistening off the river. Alexander had only been on Gran for a day but during trip he spent much of his time studying the planet and more specifically the environment and terrain as he knew that the battlefield can just as easily determine the victor as the forces you bring to the conflict. Knowing the exact time and location of the rising sun allowed Alexander to keep it positioned behind him blinding any who might try to look his way while also keeping it out of his own view.

The peaceful calm of the outdoors had given Alexander time to find an inner peace he had not felt in a very long time. The trip to Gran had been agonizingly long and made to seem even longer in the close quarters with the other remaining members of the Musketeers. The grim faces of the other Musketeers had become a daily reminder of the horrors the mercenaries had faced on Lahti just over a year before. Alexander felt he had accepted and moved beyond his failings during the ambush but he still felt anger towards those who should have been at the front holding the battle lines. Alexander thought that if the Battle Lances had been competent enough to hold the front line he would have never been swarmed and the outcome might have been drastically different. Of those from the battle lance who survived the ambush Jane died in the brawl, Alek left the Musketeers after the unit began to crumble during the infighting for leadership, but Gustave stayed behind. Alexander felt waves of uncontrollable hatred wash over him every time he saw Gustave. If only he had left with the others maybe he could feel some peace, but at least for now he couldn’t bring himself to run again.

The echoing sounds of wild hounds howling in the distance pulled Alexander back to the moment causing him to jerk. The sound of snapping grass stalks reverberated in his ears, mentally scolding himself for drifting off he returned to his scope. Alexander was surprised when he found himself with a target rich environment as a small herd of sizable white tail deer had made their way into the field. Alexander felt the adrenaline surge through his body as the thrill of the hunt began to reach its apex and a kill was just moments away. Using every bit of discipline Alexander could muster he focused his thoughts on the pending kill sizing each of the deer up. The prime target was obvious, the matriarch stood tall watching over the rest of her heard keeping a keen eye out for any predators. It was obvious that this heard had never been hunted by the greatest predator, man. Alexander lined up his shoot, easing his finger down applying ever growing amounts of pressure on the trigger as he waited for the right moment. Just as he was about to let his round fly he caught sight of a pair of fawns leaping up at the matriarchs face playful trying to grab her attention. Alexander released the trigger and watched for a moment as the pair pranced and leap around the matriarch. Obviously she was a vital member of their herd and he couldn’t take her away like those on Lahti took his leader away. It was all too much to handle, Alexander placed the safety back on and stood up from the bushes. The matriarch sent out a call to alert the others to run as she stared Alexander down, selfless to the end just like Reinhard was in his final moments. Alexander waited for the herd to clear back into the forest the matriarch the last making sure Alexander didn’t follow. Empty handed and emotionally exhausted he turned back into the forest and began his long walk back to lodge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users