Q: Posting 3D Printable Versions Of Mech Files.

3D

14 replies to this topic

#1 Wonderdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

Previously, modellers have been wary of posting links to cleaned up, 3d printable models based on the game files for fear of compromising PGI's IP. Would it be permissible to post modified files here on the forum - assuming all copyright etc on the modified files was relinquished to PGI (who own the underlying work anyway)?

I'd really like to be able to share with other people who want to 3d print some models for themselves, and would like to avoid any the cloak and dagger nonsense.

To be 100% clear, I'm not talking about selling prints, only making work on printable STL models (modified from the game files) available entirely for free to anyone who wants them, has a 3d printer, but doesnt have the skillset or tools to make the models printable themselves.

I'd like clarification from a PGI mod before I upload anything!

Reason for this post - I'm getting really pissed off now at seeing dodgy russian websites SELLING fixed up models and thus profiting from PGI's artists hard work.

#Wonderdog

PS - I've fixed up a couple of models nicely for printing already (Orion and Highlander) and would be much more enthusiastic about doing more of them if I knew other people could benefit.

Edited by Wonderdog, 12 July 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#2 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

Search for 'MWO' on Thingieverse. There are tons of fixed and sectioned MWO models on there

#3 Wonderdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:42 AM

It's not a question of getting a hold of more models - many of the models on thingiverse are very poorly done, with lots of unprintable details, non manifold surfaces and detached components, its about being able to share them here on the forums for review and feedback.

#Wonderdog

#4 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostWonderdog, on 12 July 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

It's not a question of getting a hold of more models - many of the models on thingiverse are very poorly done, with lots of unprintable details, non manifold surfaces and detached components, its about being able to share them here on the forums for review and feedback.

#Wonderdog

I know. I second your idea man. I was merely pointing that there are a few models available out there but perhaps we could use a better way of storing and sharing better optimized models here

#5 Wonderdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

Yeh - hoping that PGI can clarify if its okay to have collaboration etc happen here in the open :)

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

My guess is they can't tell you it's ok (but they want to)

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

didn't they say somewhere youc an use the assets as long as its non commercial?
But they won'T be able to say much about printing and stuff since the only thing they could say yes or no is copying their art style, because their mechwarrior license only includes games and not selling other stuff like physical goods.

#8 EvilMadcat

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

I am in But i am a bad modeller , i have a 3d Printer and i can Print but i am a very poor 3d modeller i can help in technic questions about 3d Printer or how to print.

My 3d Printer is a Sunhokey Pursa I3

EvilMadcat

#9 Wonderdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

[Unapproved post]

Thats exactly the problem I'm talking about - sites now selling (for a huge markup) extracted / fixed up MWO files - I very much doubt they have a license from PGI to do so either, so its basically theft.

I'd rather give people access to them for free here.

#Wonderdog

#10 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

I'd like to see the models purchased by one person and then posted everywhere for free. Because why not? It's not like they going to come after you with a cease and desist. ;)

#11 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostWonderdog, on 13 July 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

Thats exactly the problem I'm talking about - sites now selling (for a huge markup) extracted / fixed up MWO files - I very much doubt they have a license from PGI to do so either, so its basically theft.

I'd rather give people access to them for free here.

#Wonderdog
how do you even know they are selling extracted/fixed up models? I have studied both the extracted Tomberwolf model and the Gambody's model and they are totally different in many ways. Gambody's model was built from scratch. Im still not sure if it is still legal to sell a custom built model sure but at least back up your aquizations with some sort of facts?

EDIT: also what huge markup are you talking about? Professionally made High quality 3D models sell for hundreds of dollars on sites like Turbosquid. On average a freelance 3D artist charges anything between $20 to $50 an hour. Asking just $30 for a highly detailed model that was already sectioned and fixed up for you to be 3D printable, with articulated joints and possible weapon customization built in is nothing. I was glad to pay that price for both Catapult and Timberwolf.
Have fun spending days fixing extracted in-game models to be remotely printable;)

Edited by Solid Alexei, 13 July 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#12 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostWonderdog, on 12 July 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

#Wonderdog

Yeah, my dissatisfaction with the thingiverse King Crab led to making my own highly-detailed and highly articulated model; I'd estimate I've put in at least 400 hours of work into it, plus $400 worth of resin in failed and experimental prints.

#13 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

One thing I love about this community here, more people understand 3d modeling than on many other boards/FB groups. The Battletech International page is full of angry man-children who throw a fit whenever someone posts a 3D printed model and won't share the file openly. Sorry bud, they spend dozens of hours on the file, they get to decide how to share it :P

Anyway I think the best we can expect from PGI is for them to turn a blind eye. Commercial activity via the forums will likely not go over well, but the personal use argument covers a good chunk of what people are doing. The official BT forums though, these topics will incur the wrath of the moderators instantly, and often without explanation :P

#14 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

Only way you will get an answer is to tweet Russ. He seems to do a decent job answering people on there. But they don't use or acknowledge any forms other then the ones they post.
But would be awesome to get some files I just got a printer and have been toying around with a dire wolf. Sad only thing I can really do is print others hard work wish I was like you and could actually do something that mattered

#15 Guidestone

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

I've been trying for 4 weeks to convert/edit a direwolf obj but always end up with missing faces, open walls, and almost 200 sub objects within the model. I'm trying to do get an editable stl file so that I can add in the ball and socket joints I designed specifically for this model. I'm honestly at my wit's end and could really use some help from the community. I'm trying to make this as a gift for a friend for his birthday. If someone can help me acquire a new working model, or repair the one I currently have, I'll share my ball and socket model them. I'm new to this sort of stuff, but am well versed in CAD/CAM programs, so I'm trying to make it so that I can edit on single body (ie the center torso) in SolidWorks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users