..., That's The Dream!

HPG HPG Manifold

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

First of all: I love it. Close, compact, hide-and-seek, peek-a-boom, awesome soundscape ....

But I see much potential in it. As others have stated not by ripping it apart and making it anew like new Frozen City. I mean much more under the hood. Bare with me.

HPG is one big techno parc lying dormant. So I would love to have:

- all those plattforms intermittently moving up and down. That cover you were hiding behind? It may not always be there. That plattform you were standing on? Just lifted you up and exposed you for everybody.

- all those big-a$$ doors in the basement closing and opening randomly. You just ran into the basement with 2 enemies on your tail? Too bad you're now locked in with them. Or they with you (Rorschach approves ;-) )

- while we're in rthe basement I should mention those "reactors" firing up and shutting down as they feel like it. Are you always aware where you're walking? Maybe the plasma stream will be frying your sorry a$$ away. Oh, And did I mention that IF the reactors were firing AND the doors would happen to be closed the heat in the chamber would be Terra Therma level aka fakking hot.

- maybe (really really really maybe) the ramps and bridge to the top level would retract partially or fully from time to time. You just stormed the upper deck to have the upper ground? Maybe you think differently after you have been trapped up there for a while.

All in all HPG could be a good playing ground to make maps much more dynamic and random to play on. Not to the point where it makes the outcome of match completely by chance but we take the maps way to granted for them to be static and stable. Why not make those bridges crumble under > 65t on canyon? Why not make certain high rising glacier areas on Frozen hittable and breakable to create avalanches that shift mechs away and damage them like RT-strikes? Why not even at some point make the damm breakable to flood Crimson?

This would be an approach to change maps without changing the look and the topography of it but rather the dynamics of the elemnts on it. Since the map would look absolutely the same after the change PGI could approach it by changing the map, but at first inerting all dynamic elements for the normal PUG matches. There would be the possibility to play those maps either activated or deactivated dynamics in private lobbies. Therefore you would have players that are playing the activated map by choice and not having to play it because tthey have been voted upon them.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Thomster, 16 July 2016 - 02:54 AM.

#2 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Sounds fun. My Pirates Bane would smash the dam and laugh as all the helpless Atlai were suddenly unable to shoot or even see me as I ate their ankles.

#3 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:42 AM

IMHO, turning HPG into an arcade level is not the best idea. It isn't the worst one. Barely. But still, I think that next thing after platforms, doors and pits (you forgot rectractible spikes, btw) will be the retexturing into yet another Mario-World-level. I hope this will not happen.

As for the map geometry, it strongly supports NASCAR which is not good. Maybe adding traversible (if not strait to keep the firing lines intact) corridors under the top platform will help.
On the outlook, day-night change will be interesting to watch there with low-to-none illumination in night part (night vision required). HPG is on a kind of asteroid, it can easily rotate fast.
Plus less arena-like outlook. Add some ledges, catwalks, doors, windows, cranes, substructures etc. as a real installation would've had to get the right scale of a mech.

#4 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:50 AM

My friends welcome to The Mech Runners! A spin off of The Maze Runner!

Thomas The Mechwarrior is deposited in a community of Mechwarrior boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a HPG maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "Mechrunners" for a shot at escape.

~Costarring, Atlas -n- Friends

#5 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

View PostOmaha, on 01 August 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

My friends welcome to The Mech Runners! A spin off of The Maze Runner!

Thomas The Mechwarrior is deposited in a community of Mechwarrior boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a HPG maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "Mechrunners" for a shot at escape.

~Costarring, Atlas -n- Friends

My name IS Thomas and you are all trapped in here with ME! Muahahahaha!

#6 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:40 PM

On a serious note. Of course I don't want to turn HPG (or any other Map) into a sidescrolling arcade game (to exagerate midly). I was merely making a point (taking HPG as an example) that PGI could probably lend the dynamics and physics of the maps a little more attention. Sometimes the maps feel a little to static to me, a little too much of a stage rather than a battlefield whose dynamics play a big role in how the battle progresses.

I am very well aware, that too much dynamics will be way too distracting and too much randomness would kill the joy of playing and experience one's own capabilities (provided one is equipped with capabilities to enjoy, I for my part have none).

It was merely from the point of immersion that I sometimes wish the area would be more of a (neutral) participant that would slightly influence the wages of battle.

As I said, it's only a dream .....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users