- - - - -

Headshots

20 replies to this topic

#1 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

I've noticed a severe lack of them (Other than when i'm in my shadowhawk :'c ) and even when I'm in lights with PP lasers, getting headshots is a pain due to the the low alpha damage. If I were to go out headshot hunting in a quick medium mech, what weapon would be best to do so?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:41 AM

View PostCamm2310, on 16 July 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

I've noticed a severe lack of them (Other than when i'm in my shadowhawk :'c ) and even when I'm in lights with PP lasers, getting headshots is a pain due to the the low alpha damage. If I were to go out headshot hunting in a quick medium mech, what weapon would be best to do so?

You'd need to achieve up to 33 damage to achieve a headshot. In some cases of reduced armor, at least twenty damage.

Three Large Pulse could net a headshot in a single blow (33 damage) if you can hold the beam on target for the entire duration.
7 medium lasers (ignore ghost head) or 6 medium pulse lasers.

Here are head locations.
http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

On each image, the yellow outline is where the cockpit is located.
Posted Image
Boom headshot.

Side note; you will see a very large drop in potential income if you get really good at headshots.
This is due to the large drop in potential damage.

#3 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

gauss tends to be the go to headshot weapon from what I've seen. people tend to skimp on head slot armor when they need to free up a half ton somewhere and dual gauss can one shot a head slot that way. as people can't see the shot coming like lasers/ppcs/missiles they aren't going to dodge it.

#4 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

Thanks, ill work to save up some c-bills to purchase the zoom module for my dual gauss jeager and test it out :)

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostCamm2310, on 16 July 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thanks, ill work to save up some c-bills to purchase the zoom module for my dual gauss jeager and test it out Posted Image

Just remember, that'll get you 30 damage.
Any mech with full cockpit armor will require 33 damage.

#6 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:05 AM

View PostCamm2310, on 16 July 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thanks, ill work to save up some c-bills to purchase the zoom module for my dual gauss jeager and test it out :)

I wouldnt bother wasting cbills on a zoom module... Other modules are much more important for a sniper mech.

Radar derp is standard of course...

And siezmic is important so you can see people sneaking up on you.

#7 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

I know that if something is close enough for seismic then I'm probably done for anyways :c I got zoom right after replying to this, and it's completely changed the way I play my Jeager. It's a lot more fun now, but yeah, those LRMs are a bit of a pain, so maybe ill try out radar derp on another build Posted Image

Edited by Camm2310, 16 July 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#8 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

I find head hunting to be pretty much a waste. The only mechs I go for headshots are AFKs or DCs. Most players don't stand still long enough to line up a headshot.

#9 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

I'd obtained 2 headshots of Atlas out of 2511 mech Kills. Its cockpit is a big target.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

Ive been at this game for about a year now- only got "serious" (I got gud) maybe earlier this year.

That said, I think I have less than 20 headshots in total.
Of those the vast majority were on discos, followed by lucky shots.
1 one was semi intentional. I was scouting in a hunchie 4P. A squad mate shouts over comms that the enemy vindicator is cherry red crit head. So I splashed his face up with medium lasers and no more cockpit.

The only one I feel I really "earned" was on Alpine. I had a dual Guass HunchieIIC and spotted a Highlander taking potshots at us. He was standing perfectly still. . .

#11 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

View Postmailin, on 17 July 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

I find head hunting to be pretty much a waste. The only mechs I go for headshots are AFKs or DCs. Most players don't stand still long enough to line up a headshot.

LRM Atlas are a gimmie for headshots. They rarely twist.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Head shots are easiest to manage on those who overheat shutdown in front of you, an those who face tank without any swivel. on everyone else they just seem to get their face in the way enough to save their torso an extra shot. It's nice to know where the head is in those instances, but inna brawl, it's just that much more armour.

~Leone.

#13 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

Since they doubled structure and armor, to remove the head takes 24 damage (instead of 12 as in tabletop). Pulse lasers work well, as do PPCs and gauss...assuming you HIT the spot (its deliberately small). In 5,000+ games I've managed 21 legit headshots being counted.

#14 Zarock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

Well I could tell you how I did 3 headshots in one match and up to 17 a day, but I dont know if I want to share my secret :D

#15 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 16 July 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

I wouldnt bother wasting cbills on a zoom module... Other modules are much more important for a sniper mech.

Radar derp is standard of course...

And siezmic is important so you can see people sneaking up on you.

At extreme range can be useful to focus components...

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostZarock, on 27 March 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Well I could tell you how I did 3 headshots in one match and up to 17 a day, but I dont know if I want to share my secret Posted Image

that is fine, that is the first post in this thread in 7 months so I doubt the OP is still checking this thread

#17 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 17 July 2016 - 10:26 PM, said:

Since they doubled structure and armor, to remove the head takes 24 damage (instead of 12 as in tabletop). Pulse lasers work well, as do PPCs and gauss...assuming you HIT the spot (its deliberately small). In 5,000+ games I've managed 21 legit headshots being counted.

A little late to respond, but it's 18 armor 15 hp so 33 hp

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

Wow the threadnecros are doing doubleshifts again.

Anyway just beat headshots, hitreg, serverlags and internet provider issues make headshots a thing of pure luck, even against shutdown mechs.

Edited by The Basilisk, 28 March 2017 - 12:30 AM.

#19 odiemoncrew

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 17 July 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

Ive been at this game for about a year now- only got "serious" (I got gud) maybe earlier this year.

That said, I think I have less than 20 headshots in total.
Of those the vast majority were on discos, followed by lucky shots.
1 one was semi intentional. I was scouting in a hunchie 4P. A squad mate shouts over comms that the enemy vindicator is cherry red crit head. So I splashed his face up with medium lasers and no more cockpit.

The only one I feel I really "earned" was on Alpine. I had a dual Guass HunchieIIC and spotted a Highlander taking potshots at us. He was standing perfectly still. . .

Yea, i went hunting for headshots in my hunchback 4P quite a bit. got quite good at headshoot other hunchbacks, even more so with the ones that peeked and pooped back up in the same spot. Got lucky with a few other mechs, and the rest were DCs/afks.
Of course, The first headshot i got was after the achievements came in. it was when i was still new and learning the game, ran into an enemy in the water near the boat on the old 12v12 forest colony map, blindly shot at it and happened to hit it's head. it turned out to be really the only mech killed.

#20 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:46 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 28 March 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

Anyway just beat headshots, hitreg, serverlags and internet provider issues make headshots a thing of pure luck, even against shutdown mechs.

I don't know that I'd quite say pure luck - you can, after all, try to aim for the right spot.

But yeah, even knowing where to aim and having good aim and aiming there, there's a large element of luck, unless the idiot pilot is sitting still for long enough that you can take your time aiming your shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users