Upcoming Faction Play Round Table

869 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

On Thursday July 28th we welcome you to join us for a Round Table Discussion with PGI President Russ Bullock, PGI Faction Play developers, and members of the MechWarrior Online Faction Play community to discuss the present and future state of Faction Play!
This Round Table Discussion will take place LIVE on the NGNG Twitch Channel, Thursday July 28th at 6PM PDT / 9PM EDT / 1AM UTC.

We'll be providing additional details regarding the structure and format of this Round Table next week, but until then feel free to take this time to consider what you might want to ask or suggest regarding Faction Play.
You can also contribute your thoughts and feedback in the associated thread for this post in the Announcement section of our forums.

We look forward to hearing from you!

#2 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

I'll be monitoring, taking notes, and participating in this thread as much as possible throughout the weekend.

Edited by Bombadil, 22 July 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#3 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

We need....

A Freekin MODULE SALE!!!

please add this on the CRITICAL NEED TO DO LIST.

Myself and others will be less CRANKY about this especially when we can have MORE MODULES to buy for Faction Warfare.....GRRRRRRR

By the Way...can we get a Mobile Field Mech Repair Bay...for Faction Warfare.

Edited by Cranky Puppy, 22 July 2016 - 06:18 PM.

#4 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

....members of the MechWarrior Online Faction Play community

When will we know which members of the community ??

#5 Mr Inconsistent

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

As I suggested on Twitter, please consider a survey to capture feedback from a broader audience within the MWO community to feed into any directional decisions on this and other aspects of MWO.

The voice of the customer needs to cover all areas of the player base, not just the top faction play units. If you are trying to broaden the number and types of players who play what is considered a core game mode, you need to talk to a broader audience.

Recommend using a web survey and potentially linking to it in the news portal in game and sending it out via your email subscription. Greater reach than just the die hards who can set hours aside to get on twitch or the forums.

Edited by Mr Inconsistent, 22 July 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#6 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

I normally do not participate in the Town Halls or anything but I do have to ask a few questions that may be nice to have answers to:
  • When will there be a reason to join FW? Currently only large units are encouraged to play due to the rewards system as the "winner" of the planet gets the rewards.
  • Will there be a revolving cycle, say every 3 months, 6 months, etc?
  • When will Lore be added to FW?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Danghen Woolf, 23 July 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#7 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostAylward, on 22 July 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

When will we know which members of the community ??

I anticipate that we'll have something to say about this on Monday.

View PostMr Inconsistent, on 22 July 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

As I suggested on Twitter, please consider a survey to capture feedback from a broader audience within the MWO community to feed into any directional decisions on this and other aspects of MWO.

The voice of the customer needs to cover all areas of the player base, not just the top faction play units. If you are trying to broaden the number and types of players who play what is considered a core game mode, you need to talk to a broader audience.

Recommend using a web survey and potentially linking to it in the news portal in game and sending it out via your email subscription. Greater reach than just the die hards who can set hours aside to get on twitch or the forums.

I will make note of your suggestion.

#8 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 22 July 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

We need....

A Freekin MODULE SALE!!!

Myself and others will be less CRANKY about this especially when we can have MORE MODULES to buy for Faction Warfare.....GRRRRRRR

Just my two bits, but really - I hope this focuses on things that matter, not silly sales. Sure, it'd be great to be able to grab modules cheap, but what's important here is fixing faction play so it doesn't suck. If FP sucks, all the cheap modules in the world won't make it more fun.

That's just me though.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

Why is the Long Tom a MOAB/Tactical Nuke?

Source damage is limited (30, not 1320), and saturation was a bigger factor than instantly killing everything in a given radius.

Why was this ever a thing?
Posted Image

Edited by Mcgral18, 22 July 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#10 T I N M A N

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMontana, USA

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

Can we place suggestions for fixing faction play here? More so than commenting on already existing features. I feel like there is a lot to say in that regard.

Not everything we have to say can be phrased into a short question, especially in regards to a system that needs as much love as faction play.

And I agree. Taking feedback from only the big units won't be of much use to fixing it. As many of the people who do play and who PGI should try to attract are new players (since there aren't enough people in FP), usually single, or small units.

Edited by NightStalker97, 22 July 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#11 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 22 July 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Just my two bits, but really - I hope this focuses on things that matter, not silly sales. Sure, it'd be great to be able to grab modules cheap, but what's important here is fixing faction play so it doesn't suck. If FP sucks, all the cheap modules in the world won't make it more fun.

That's just me though.

This meeting will be focusing on further-reaching issues, such as player buckets and queue times. If successful, future meetings may focus on other topics, which may or may not include sale requests.

#12 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

I hope all the questions aren't prepared thru NGNG, rather by the actual players/unit leaders/constituents that actually play the mode.

#13 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 22 July 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

We need....

A Freekin MODULE SALE!!!

Every basic $20 mech early bird pack comes with 4 free modules as well as 6.5 million c-bills. For that matter, what exactly are you spending your c-bills on? I've been playing 7 months and I'm swimming in modules now. I have enough radar deps and advanced zooms now i can equip mechs with them permanently, plus have extras to use in whatever mech flavour I'm playing that day.

#14 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostNightStalker97, on 22 July 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Can we place suggestions for fixing faction play here? More so than commenting on already existing features. I feel like there is a lot to say in that regard.

Not everything we have to say can be phrased into a short question, especially in regards to a system that needs as much love as faction play.

And I agree. Taking feedback from only the big units won't be of much use to fixing it. As many of the people who do play and who PGI should try to attract are new players, usually single, or small units.

Everything posted here will be read by me, and relayed to those involved if deemed appropriate.

View PostDeathlike, on 22 July 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

I hope all the questions aren't prepared thru NGNG, rather by the actual players/unit leaders/constituents that actually play the mode.

Players themselves will be asking the questions.

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostBombadil, on 22 July 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Players themselves will be asking the questions.

No filter like the usual Town Halls?

#16 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Drop the separate attack and defend queues in favor of one contested planet per faction border so that faction groups are in the same bucket instead of mostly attacking.

Attempt to make loyalist meaningful by adding special paint jobs / decals / faction specific mech variants to the LP rank ladder rewards or bonus CBill payouts for participating in FW on contested worlds owned by your faction.

Add a bonus Payout to FW matches based on the % of online players currently queued up for FW.

Remove the Long Tom in favor of constant satellite sweep mechanic.

Vary the allowed tonnage for scouting between 35, 45 and 55 tons, selected at random for each FW window.

Increase the number of supply crate winners up to 2 for winning side and 1 for losing side.

Introduce faction wide rewards for accomplishing faction Goals, Taking so many planets in a week, taking lore significant worlds etc.

#17 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 July 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

No filter like the usual Town Halls?

The players themselves will literally be on Teamspeak, talking directly to Russ, asking their own questions and/or sharing their thoughts on improving Faction Play. That being said, this is not a venting session, this will be moderated, and anything or anyone deemed as inappropriate will not be allowed, be removed, have consequences and so forth.

#18 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:36 PM

Here are my few suggestions:
1. When a unit takes a planet there should be customized options for making it their own. Their unit logo on banners choices to place different turrets. Maybe purchase able dragon's teeth or bunkers or something.
2. Our planet scale is so big it's hard for smaller units to see they are making a difference they help take a planet but have nothing to show for it. What if we broke each planet into small states or territorys to break it up and allow other units to hold ground. You could even have a planet owned by clans but kurita or another faction has a stronghold on the planet. (Planet side 2 just way smaller)
3. Long Tom sucks I would rather see another buff like faster drop times. Increased ammo amount bonus free consumables arty strikes?
4. Different play modes why not use the domination, assault, etc would luv to see a capture Intel mode like capture the flag kinda. Faction still plays out for the most part team death match with respawns
5. Lastly and I feel most important make and have unique color's, camouflage patterns, decals, title's, cockpit items, etc things only able to get through playing. Make the time grinding worth it.

#19 T I N M A N

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMontana, USA

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostBombadil, on 22 July 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Everything posted here will be read by me, and relayed to those involved if deemed appropriate.

Thank you. So, if I may, I'm going to talk for a little bit.

Faction Play has next to none of the characteristics that make it battletech.
What it does have are planets from the lore.
-Not even half of them have their brief lore description.
What it does have are the Factions
-There are no differences between them; nothing that makes them unique, nothing that makes them what they are from battletech.
What it does have is a game mode that feels like an invading army vs a defending force.
-Though it feels like the unit defending, with the defences it has, doesn't really care about the base. Some LL turrets aren't really good defence against 4 companies of mechs. (Give turret/defence upgrade and turret placement options for the owning unit please!) Maps are also narrow, single strategy, and there arent enough of them.

What this game needs is:
1) Unique, semi-significant differences between the factions that can appeal to players in some way or another.
2) A reason for small units and individual players to play.
3) Lore lore lore. The best thing about this kind of game is the universe behind it. Battletech in so intruiging and really draws players into it. Without lore this game is just a semi-unique FPS that, sorry to be honest, isn't really the best in any field except maybe at making cool looking models, and even then not the greatest, but admittedly pretty good. Without lore, that is all that you have that draws people in and makes them stay, and that's not enough to really gain popularity. Lore will be the key.
4) Planets that matter. Each planet should be important in some way, some more than others. Giving people MC doesn't build interest and make people want to tell their friends about it. Like in ROME II Total War, some cities have important resources. Say that gets your unit a 1 time discount on a mech or something or a free mech that would be made by the factories on that planet. That's more unique than just MC. That mech can be given to a unit member or something by the unit leader. Even more so, taking a planet should have a permanent effect on the unit. Say something as small as a discount on a chassis, or if you wanted to get more serious and in depth, a different type of medium laser or other weapon that has different stats. Also maybe a certain decal that belonged to the lore unit on that planet. Rewards can vary per planet, but must include some aspect of lore.

Basically, Mechwarrior Online FP needs uniqueness and focus on faction play. It needs to flaunt the most powerful resource available to it, which is the lore. That's why there are still fans today, because they loved it so much. I fell in love with it the day I played MechWarrior IV and Mechcommnader 2. That's, at least as I see, the only way to get more people involved. Stompy robots can bring people in, sure, but the lore makes them stay.

Also, on other points, there is no tutorial for faction play. Please bring that in. New players get smashed everyday by large units, and that turns them off of the game. A tutorial would help new player understand how it's supposed to work, and once you build a larger community from the above suggestions of lore, you might even be able to separate FP queues for newer players.

Edited by NightStalker97, 19 August 2016 - 01:10 AM.

#20 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:52 PM

As a former Wizkids Mechwarrior clix player and tournament referee, might I suggest faction abilities... unique skills for belonging to a particular faction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users