The Gates Are Too Close

3 replies to this topic

#1 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

The "charge the choke point" play-style endemic to most CW maps is pretty strong with this map. The proximity of the two gates allows the defenders to quickly react to either choke point, and as a result, the attackers generally must charge in through the gates either way. There's no option to try to distract the defender at one gate while doing a heavy push on another. Compared to Hellbore, where the defenders have to scout the direction the attackers are coming from or risk being out of position if they decide to stack up on the wrong gate.

Some additional fixes include being able to hit gen 2 from the hill in F5. Also, the defenders could stand to have a steeper hill separating their DZ from the 2 line. It's not uncommon to see long ranged defenders simply camping their own DZ and safely having some pretty good LOS on the inside of the base.

#2 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

I actually prefer the gate location and entrance layout as it is. Split pushing allows attackers to counter the otherwise brutal firing line that defenders often set up by sandwiching it. The entrance is one of the main reasons that Emerald Taiga is my favorite map as an attacker.

#3 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

Agree, especialy on the spawn hill

Gates could be a bit further apart so it allows for better cover but not negate split pushes

#4 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

Actually I feel the close gates are actually more conducive to split push tactics and help to add "tactical flavor" to the game. Catching the defenders off-guard and "sandwiching" them is rather improbable on maps like Hellebore and Vitric as its far to risky to put that much distance between your forces as the attacker. (I disagree with the thinking that distant gates contributes variety, as a competent defending team is going to know which side an attack is coming on due to the gate damage meters, and is probably going to have a scout of some sort.)

I agree with the generator point, and have actually already made a topic on this specific issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users