17 replies to this topic

#1 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

So thanks to Bishop Steiner I fell in love with the Champion, it is a silly mech that just... Something about it made me really want it and really like it so I decided to take a break from prepping MWO assets for 3d print. Yes the 3d printed assets are for personal use and not sale as per the rules. So with the help of my friends

First off, let me re-post Bishop Steiner's (link is in his name to the post) artwork that I based my start point off of.
Posted Image

This design reflected greatly what in lore the Champion was, the second ever mech produced by the company who made the Locust. The thing looks like a fusion of the Cicada and Locust, and also the exact same tonnage as them if you smashed them together! So from here I started figuring out what assets in MWO fit with the general style the current result after 4 hours of clipping notes, scaling components, and fiddling has resulted in this.

Posted Image

As it can clearly be seen the Marauder is distinctly in there, as well as most of a locust, arms inspired by the cicada, shin plates of the adder, and the weapon pods of the Ebon Jaguar which my friends and I believe is based on the Champion.

Scale Comparison to the Marauder (files from before the rescale for the Marauder):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
'mech Butt Tax.

I did scale the Champion to be 80% the size of the Marauder due to originally it was almost the same size as the Marauder when I first threw it into the same blend file as the Marauder. This is due to 60 tons is 80% of 75 tons and I spent some time doing the calculations of how to properly scale it down. turns out .93*.93*.93 is just about .8 or 80% as desired. Anyways, as you can see the project is not done yet, need to fill in the area around the cockpit, fix a few bits of geometry, and finish the backside of the Champion, but, for four hours of work I think it worked out well enough to show off.

For Mech Specs it is a 60 ton battlemech with a Standard 300 engine pushing the Champion to 86.4kp/h with 1 LB10X (1 ton of cluster ammo 1 ton of slug ammo), 2 Medium Lasers, 2 Small Lasers, and an SRM6 with Artemis (1 ton of ammo).

Edited by Moonlight Grimoire, 29 July 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#2 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:59 AM

I love it, the Champion has been one of my long time fav mechs.
Great job.

#3 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

I always thought the Champion was one of the dumbest looking mechs. Primarily because of the arms. You made the arms look a lot better. They have function similar to the cicadas. Nice work.

#4 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Okay so my rendition of the Champion is now pretty much done, probably do a few tweaks here and there for preparing it for 3d printing, but, that is something for after my Jury Duty this week. Anyways, going to share two images, one comparing it to the Marauder 3R and the other just an Orthographic view of it.

Marauder 3R (75 Tons of win) and Champion 1N (60 Tons of Zoom).
Posted Image

Champion 1N in Orthographic View.
Posted Image

I'll post again once after I get a successful 3d print, clean it up, and prime it, maybe wash it to help pop the details.

#5 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

Update, finally got cool enough here to print the Champion so I did. Be aware this is just put together with Poster Tack, but, it gives an idea of how it came out. Going to spend a few days cleaning, filling, and aligning parts before finally using some ABS glue to secure the parts together as they should be. Then probably doing a cold acetate wash to smooth it down if the sanding isn't enough. The SRM6 didn't come out as well as I had hoped so I will likely end up drilling holes with my pin vise after priming so I can better see what holes are there.

Now on to the images:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Wow. Interesting retake.

Edited by ManDaisy, 19 August 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

Figured I'd share this for you if you haven't seen it already: Champion, MekTek Ed.

Posted Image

#8 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:24 AM

That's one hell of a beauty, I'd buy that Marauder kid version!

Wonder if it;s Clan, IIC or IS?

However the Clan Marauder will probably be the best of emm all, probably the first mech I'll actually have preordered, still a few days to decide on preorder

#9 Vasili Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

Two instances in which the Champion looks decent!!!

#10 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

Okay after far too long of a time I finally got around to painting the darn model. Printer kind of butchered the model but I am getting used to the quality I get out of my 3d printer is rather meh.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I tweaked the model within blender after this print to increase how wide and long it is without making it taller. I honestly do enjoy this design. The original was not terrible, but, it needed an update. The MWLL design is not half bad either, but, now it looks as it should, like the progenitor of the Cauldron Born/Ebon Jaguar.

I do love the Champion and would love it in MWO, would be a better Dragon as it would have shield arms but the same hard points and a much better profile.

I probably will end up sitting down and trying another print with hopefully better quality coming out. Worst case I send the design to shapeways or a friend who does 3d printing far more than I do.

I did learn a lot with this and hopefully I will get to some more fun battletech models to go with the Champion as well as the Bulldog. Got a whole list, just a matter of time and energy.

#11 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

THANK YOU for doing this, I have been a long time fan of the Champion, especially in MW3. I think you have done a fantastic job. Is there any change I could get the 3D files from you to have one printed myself? If you have it posted on Shapeways, can you send me a link to it?
Thanks again.

#12 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Looks like the Marauder and the Locust had a kid...

Nice job! (although I would make the body a little larger)

#13 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 January 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

Ehhhh, I'd say Cicada more than Marauder....

#14 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 January 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostRequiemking, on 28 January 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Ehhhh, I'd say Cicada more than Marauder....

I agree, the body once I got it next to my other 3d printed mechs was too small, and it is more Cicada-Marauder, but, it adheres to the whole Ebon Jaguar was designed off of the Champion idea that is out there. Locust is in there as well, but, there is more marauder than Locust.

View PostMax OConnor, on 28 January 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

THANK YOU for doing this, I have been a long time fan of the Champion, especially in MW3. I think you have done a fantastic job. Is there any change I could get the 3D files from you to have one printed myself? If you have it posted on Shapeways, can you send me a link to it?
Thanks again.

Sure can, I'll PM anyone who wants it with the blend file of it, I have the one scaled up cleaned of stuff that wouldn't print from my knowledge. Feel free to send it back to me if you find problems with it and fix things with it. It will include the scaled up torso on it.

#15 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

The Champion in MW3 and the one designed by Mektek for MW4 looked really good.

Posted Image

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

View PostClanner Scum, on 10 March 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

The Champion in MW3 and the one designed by Mektek for MW4 looked really good.

Posted Image

I think that is the Tenchi, isn't it?

#17 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

I think that is the Tenchi, isn't it?

Yeah that is the Tenchi, it is an Omni Champion. Guess the MekTek saw the Ebon Jaguar and was like "right, we can make our on Omni Champion that isn't a pancake!".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users