Operation Frontier

11 replies to this topic

#1 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

[NOTE: what follows is a one-off work of fiction for a proposed 3048 invasion of the Capellan Confederation by a member of the St. Ives Military Command. I have researched this as well as I can, given the materials available. The book Objective Raids and the Sarna wiki were used heavily. All maps are based off the one posted by Piranha.]

Colonel Caroline Seng

CO 1st St. Ives Lancers

St. Ives

THE ST. IVES COMPACT DEFENSE REVIEW OF 3048

Colonel Seng,

Per your request, I have prepared the following summary for your review. If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

As of this writing, the St. Ives Compact is in an enviable position, relative to the Capellan Confederation. We have been fortunate to avoid many of the ills that have befallen our former compatriots; the post-war austerity, the scramble to remilitarize with limited resources and a sweeping frontier with dozens of worlds standing naked against a massive foreign threat. We are fortunate that we may view as an ally the very same entity the Capellan view as their gravest threat: the nascent Federated Commonwealth. We should be cautious, however, and not become too overconfident: that very same ally becomes a threat when viewed from afar.

The Federated Suns will doubtlessly continue our cordial relations: that is not in question. The danger instead comes from the capitals of Atreus, Rasalhague, and Luthien. When fully realized, the Federated Commonwealth will represent the single largest star faring power since the end of the Star League. It will border every great house and many periphery states. In short it represents power and consolidation, an anathema to the status quo and therefore a threat to all others.

It seems inevitable that this development will in turn be met by a counter-balance: houses Kurita, Marik and Liao will in some form ban together to combat this threat. While I have no doubt that St. Ives is the last thing on the minds of Takashi Kurita and Thomas Marik, we are as low hanging fruit to Romano Liao; in the event of a fifth Succession War which sees the Federated Commonwealth fight against this grand alliance we may find ourselves in a battle for survival against the Capellan Confederation without the aid of Federated Commonwealth forces.

Even without such a crisis, the threat the Federated Commonwealth represents to the other great houses is not diminished. At the very least we can expect increased goodwill between these new bedfellows, which could result in arms deals, trade agreements and any number of other arrangements which benefit Romano Liao's regime. We could see the Capellan Confederation rebuild militarily at an alarming rate and move against us more quickly than anticipated in 3030.

It is my sincere hope that the documentation within be considered carefully and that the actions within, while hopefully unnecessary, will prove useful if circumstances become exacerbated by rapidly changing foreign affairs.

Commander Hayden
Training Battalion, St. Ives Academy

Map of the St. Ives Compact 3048

Posted Image

This map was prepared by member of my staff, it represents an overview of the situation and, as a reference, some historical information on worlds formerly held by the earlier St. Ives Mercantile League and the St. Ives Commonality. As you can see, we have no room for maneuver territoriality: any future expansion must come at the cost of the Capellan Confederation or Federated Commonwealth.

Orders of Battle (OOB)

This first section details the available units for the St. Ives Military Command (SIMC), including coalition units at SIMC disposal. Additionally coalition Federated Commonwealth units are at our disposal, though there is insufficient information available, usually these consist of no more than two or three green regiments.

St. Ives Armored Cavalry (SIAC)-6 Regiments, 1 Battalion
1st St. Ives Lancers-Veteran-Reliable
2nd St. Ives Lancers-Veteran-Reliable
St. Ives Cheveau Legers- Veteran-Reliable
Raymond’s Armored Infantry-Regular-Reliable
Aliesha’s Mounted Fusilieres-Regular-Reliable
Blackwind Lancers-Regular-Reliable
SIA Training Group Battalion-Green-Questionable

Our intelligence places the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces (CCAF) at about three times our number: 28 regiments and 2 battalions, ranging in size from rump periphery forces to the massive McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (it alone is nearly the size of SIAC). Furthermore, it is believed that many of the surviving elements of the CCAF are of superior loyalty, though experience is mixed, given the heavy losses sustained by Capellan forces during Operation: Rat. At this point we enjoy an important technical edge over the CCAF, perhaps our greatest advantage and one that will begin to fade rapidly if détente between houses Liao and Marik develops further. It is with this in mind that I propose the following: an armed intervention against the Capellan Confederation before they can move against us. What follows is an overview of what I call "Operation Frontier"

OPERATION: FRONTIER

Objective: Operation Frontier is a long-term answer to the question of continued co-existence between the St. Ives Compact and the Capellan Confederation. The objective is to neutralize the Capellan Confederation as a meaningful threat to the continued existence of St. Ives, and even outright reunification under the St. Ives government would be desirable, though not an expectation.

Primary Objectives:
-Gaining the Ares system, which is host to a Bergen Industries ‘mech plant. This plant is critical to the long-term success of St. Ives, as it would provide the means for domestic light ‘mech production.
-Capturing the Necromo system to deny the Capellan confederation easy access to the capital planet of St. Ives.

Secondary Objectives:
-Gain in other border worlds to reduce the CCAF’s ability to launch counter attacks, especially those in the path of Sian (Hexare and Glasgow are critical).

Tertiary Objectives:
-Disruption of Capellan remilitarization.
-Capture of several border worlds, allowing for the possibility to strike at the Capitol of Sian in future operations.
-The capture of Sian, Capella; both of which have large industries and are within two jump points of our border wolrds.

Map of Operation: Frontier

Posted Image

Summary:
The Bergen ‘mech plant is the first destination on the long road to reunification. Currently domestic ‘mech production is limited to Victors and Blackjacks, which are more than serviceable, but rather expensive to produce; the lack of light ‘mechs especially limits the versatility of our forces and ties us down to dependency upon the Federated Commonwealth. The capture of these facilities will allow us to increase our rate of production, helping us to replace losses or field additional units.

While securing Ares, it will also be critical to begin solidifying our holdings elsewhere; literally half of our worlds are within one jump of the Capellan Border, including St. Ives itself. By moving to capture Necromo we can take St. Ives off the front lines. Additionally, the capture of Glasgow, Hexare and worlds like Overton and Harloc will deter enemy incursion, and if our victory is resounding, we may win some defections. It is known that the Policies of Chancellor Romano Liao border on criminal, and if conditions in the Confederation are as bad as rumored, both civilians and members of the military may welcome us as liberators.

Map of Operation: Frontier - Desired Outcomes

Posted Image

Colonel Seng,

In closing I realize that Operation: Frontier has little chance of success, but mark my words: the time to strike was 18 years ago. With every day that passes, the Capellan threat grows, and while St. Ives has been emphasizing a strategy of defense, that defense will not prevent the inevitable invasion that will surely come once Romano Liao and her forces are ready. I thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Commander Hayden
Training Battalion, St. Ives Academy

[And that's the end! Just a one-off short work of fiction. Thanks for reading. Wait and See. -Ed]
[ED: I decided to leave the story as is after all. The following pages will be left as-is, but know that the story started and stopped with OP]

Edited by Hayden, 16 December 2011 - 07:54 AM.

#2 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

. Your Duchess has proven herself to be a reliable Davionist Puppet, as her sharing a bedchamber with the Davion's Spymaster and her son and heir being educated in the Federated Suns prove.Director Indrahar found your report to be insightful and well-researched, despite a few flights of fancy on your part.His exact words concluded with:"What will she do when Davion decides they no longer need St Ives?"

#3 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

what can i say sweet reading..are you going to write more about this? bring it down to personal level(like following diffrent warriors through it?)
or are you intending on keeping it on a strategic level?

#4 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

View PostPhalanx, on 10 December 2011 - 12:53 AM, said:

. Your Duchess has proven herself to be a reliable Davionist Puppet, as her sharing a bedchamber with the Davion's Spymaster and her son and heir being educated in the Federated Suns prove.Director Indrahar found your report to be insightful and well-researched, despite a few flights of fancy on your part.His exact words concluded with:"What will she do when Davion decides they no longer need St Ives?"

My concern is with the SIMC, the personal affairs of the Dutchess are her own. I'll confess that it's a rather optimistic report, but given the rapidly closing window St. Ives has to take action... well. That said, I am frankly honored that my report made it to the highest levels of the ISF at all, let alone so rapidly. Perhaps I've struck a nerve?

View PostNaughtyboy, on 10 December 2011 - 01:09 AM, said:

what can i say sweet reading..are you going to write more about this? bring it down to personal level(like following diffrent warriors through it?)
or are you intending on keeping it on a strategic level?

Nope, this is it. Thanks, though! Like I said, a one-off short work of fiction. I've been doing a lot of other art work, and decided I wanted to try my hand at writing. I'm also trying to drum up some sentiment for St. Ives, hoping the Dev team will change their mind about it's inclusion/alignment. If St Ives isn't it's own faction, then they should really shift it to FedCom control, because it was so opposed to the Capellans in this era. Honestly, for this kind of game they should have gone with the 3025 era. It's much better suited for this kind of territorial warfare.

Ed: we'll see what happens.

Edited by Hayden, 13 December 2011 - 06:13 AM.

#5 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

The two Fourth Succession War books are among my favorite manuals - and reading this reminded me very fondly of that series. Very well done!

<S>

#6 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

View PostVEDRFOLNIR, on 10 December 2011 - 10:29 AM, said:

The two Fourth Succession War books are among my favorite manuals - and reading this reminded me very fondly of that series. Very well done!

<S>

Ah man, I only have Volume 2, but yeah! I've lost dozens of hours to that book alone! I actually didn't use it as a reference while writing this up, but man, now I want to go back and read it, too...

#7 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Hayden, 13 December 2011 - 05:46 AM.

#8 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Excerpt from the Log Book of the JumpShip Frontenac Chateau, a third-hand Merchant class jump ship privately owned by one Zarchary Kovach, a trader from the Free World's League.

December 10th, 3048, 1450 GST, Kittery Zenith.
Captain Zachary Kovach
Jump in from Taga went without nearly without incident. That new crewman, Schmidt, lost his breakfast in the bridge. No damage to report but it was an unholy mess. I made the kid clean it up. DropShips Blackhammer and Pride of Andurien both left for the surface at around 1300 GST. We’ll need to be on station for another week at most: in the mean time we are awaiting arrival of DropShips Hemmingway and Grau . We plan to depart December 17th, 3048 and we are locked in to make a jump to St. Ives and should arrive the same day. I’m going to turn in, today’s been hell.

December 10th, 3048, 2004 GST, Kittery Zenith.
Captain Zachary Kovach
Woke up to the damned klaxon. Pulled on clothes went to bridge. The Grau had arrived early and instead of waking me ******* Schmidt and Wallace decided to try to dock it. The loading arm is wreaked and could take days to fix, but thankfully the docking ring and hull are only superficially damaged. The Grau is in decidedly worse shape, and may be a total loss. Johansen will fill out the rest.

December 10th, 3028, 2035 GST, Kittery Zenith.
First Mate Toshi Johansen
Kovach has greatly over-estimated the damage to the arm, it’s more likely that we’re taking a matter of hours to fix (even less time if we didn’t need to work in the environ suits). The Grau however, is a total loss, which means more paperwork, more time on station, and less cash in our pockets. We’ll also have to try to find another drop ship that needs carrying to make up for the loss and maybe still turn a profit. I have Schmidt and Wallace cleaning the crew quarters for the next month. I don’t know if the captain will fire them. Hemmingway still has yet to lift off, they expect to go tomorrow, assuming the weather holds.

December 11th, 3028, 0810 GST, Kittery Zenith.
Captain Zachary Kocach
Maintenance worked wonders, that Scottish guy who signed on last year is a damn miracle worker! He thought it could take all week, and then he did in hours! I had my doubt, but by god he has proven himself once again. Now I just wish the rest was good news. The Grau is limping back under its own power; they’ll try to do repairs once in orbit. Thankfully after reviewing our insurance policy we should be in the clear. Now the really bad: the owner of the Hemmingway has been arrested by the planetary militia. The DropShip will not be leaving CanFu City for the foreseeable future. I don’t know what the hell the details are, but this just keeps getting better and better. We need new contracts.

December 11th, 3028, 1745 GST, Kittery Zenith.
Captain Zachary Kovach
No Change.

December 12th 0013 GST
No Change. Crew morale isn’t great.

December 12th 0346 GST
Things just picked up. We received a communication from the Comstar Station on the planet, it’s not often that a contract just falls into your lap. I woke the captain, told him, and he gave me his approval without a second though. It’s almost too good, but I don’t care. Later today we’ll jump to Indicass. No clear indication of the details, but it seems like a simple one-way contract for a heavy load. We leave on December 17th, 1230 GST. Hopefully I’ll be passed out when we make the jump. It’s always better if I can sleep through it.

ED: It started as a short story, so I'll end it as one. I'll leave the preceding pages up, but really, it was just supposed to be OP, and was never designed to go further.

Edited by Hayden, 16 December 2011 - 07:52 AM.

#9 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Locationdeep in the dark reaches of unknown space

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

wow an arttist & wrighter any other talents?

#10 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

View Postgodzofwar, on 16 December 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

wow an arttist & wrighter any other talents?

I'm also an aerospace assembly mechanic.

#11 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Locationdeep in the dark reaches of unknown space

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

now i know who to call when my banchie needs fixin.

or are you serious?

#12 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

View Postgodzofwar, on 16 December 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

now i know who to call when my banchie needs fixin.

or are you serious?

Haha, I am serious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users