Mwo 101 The Least You Need To Know Starting This Game.

30 replies to this topic

#1 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

Id add, DO NOT vote for Polar Highlands, you wont learn a bit by playing that map.

#2 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Maybe the new player section would have been a better choice.

#3 Valleric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

Nice post man. This stuff is golden. I think it dosnt matter if its a new player or not who reads this. I see high tier players doing the "never do" stuff in this guide. You basically cover everything that makes a good player, and can lead the team to victory. Right on man.

#4 Valleric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 17 April 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

I see a lot of moderately good players that are not beginners that could use this info as well hence why I put it in general. I have to pug with these people and I would like them to start realizing this is not unreal tournament or call of duty. So general it is

Agreed

#5 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

You should post it in the New Player forum also. Maybe request that it be stickied.

Be prepared to edit it next month when (if) the new Skill tree hits and the modules go away.

Thanks for putting the effort in this to try to help new players.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

Some issues in your post.

IS ERPPCs are fine weapons and do deal their full damage. A stock Atlas-D that you would find in the training grounds would have 187 health to go through in the CT front due to the +31 armor quirk it gets to the CT combined with the default armor and structure, so 19 shots is correct for a kill.

Also IS medium lasers are a staple weapon and great to be used on many builds, the damage to heat ratio isn't great, but the damage to tonnage ratio is why people use them, due to the low weight you can easily fit heatsinks to go with them and run cool. Their low weight also makes them great for pairing with other weapons or for building high alpha burst builds that fit in well with the meta.

Also assaults have the same roles as heavies do, they aren't all meant to push into the enemy lines and doing so in some assaults is plain suicidal. Many assault mechs are direct fire support such as the Mauler boating UACs and the Kodiak with UACs or gauss+PPC. These builds are set up to deal extremely high amounts of DPS at mid to long range and absolutely cripple enemy forces before they get close. In the meta assaults set up to push are very far below the DPS builds and even further below the sniping gauss+ERPPC builds due to how risky a push build is and how easily countered they are by the ranged versions which can do all of what the pushers do but at about 600m out. Most of the time it doesn't make any sense to put the mech on the team that has the most potential damage and already has the highest target priority directly into harm's way when sitting back allows them to rack up more than double the damage they would do in a push and help the team more through killing enemies to reduce the enemy team's total damage output permanently rather than being a temporary damage sponge.

Brawling meta in general ended in like 2014 and has only gotten worse and mostly heavy mechs do best as skirmishers running IS LPLs in mass or on clan ERPPCs+gauss or LPL+ERML builds. Having a build focused around being able to fire of 40-50 damage alpha strikes then get back into cover before you take return fire just happened to be far superior to a build that does 50-70 points of damage but can't dodge into cover.

Other than that it is pretty decent information for new players or starting the game but doesn't hold up in high tier play.

#7 Pr8Dator2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCareer Clanner

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Won't need to know any of these in Solaris mode!

This is why Solaris is so badly needed as most newbies or players cant be bothered with teamwork and just want a mech blasting time.

#8 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Im a new player I want to jump in a play not read a hour long wall of text please summarize in 30 words or less thanks.

Would "git gud" ? suffice ?

#9 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 17 April 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

99% of this will be reverent even after the changes it is fundamental game theory and I really did not want it in the new player forum I see beginners and vets making the same mistakes. You can not have duplicate threads in two places that is a breach of posting on any forum it is considered a form of spam. if some one wants to sticky this they can have at it i just get tired of trying to cram all this in 2 minuets before I drop with pugs.

Agreed, most of it will still be relevant. I just would hate to see someone new spending a lot of time trying to buy the Radar Deprivation And Seismic Sensor modules in a couple months.

#10 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

I know a lot of new players who want to snipe...cant see why

#11 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 17 April 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Actually that will not matter all module cost will be refunded so those are the safest thing to buy right now.

That is not really what I meant. Early in your post you tell the new player to get those two important modules as soon as possible. Once the Skill Tree is implemented there will not be any modules but someone reading your post and taking it as gospel would waste time looking to try to figure out how to buy and equip them.

This is not a criticism. I simply suggested that once the ST is introduced that you may want to edit to update the information that is no longer relevant. I think that it is a good guide. I also think it is a good idea to keep the information current and accurate if you are willing to take more time to do so. That is all.

#12 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

Pretty good guide, until he starts talking about teamwork, sticking with the team, divided we fall, and dont use er-ppcs and the worst Patience ..

just needs a little juicing up with some glory and for the team martyrdom references and this might qualify for a sticky !!

#13 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Ever compose a list of things you'd like to say in a forum and then think, "Ugh, what's the point?"

#14 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostCadoAzazel, on 17 April 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

Im a new player I want to jump in a play not read a hour long wall of text please summarize in 30 words or less thanks.

Would "git gud" ? suffice ?

Welcome new player, please acquire a centurion battle mech ASAP and battle for Glory, try not to die.

#15 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 17 April 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

I am sorry to say you are incorrect the atlas has 155 with quirk bonus and that is if you put 0 on the back. go look In mech lab

I am not incorrect, you are not including structure in your calculations. When structure is included the stock Atlas-D with only 94 frontal CT armor ends up with 187 total health, 94 armor + 31 from the quirk + 62 structure.

Here is the stock build in smurfy http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86f8a750ff82a92

As for the sniper meta vs brawler meta, I do mean high tier competitive play in which the teams are focus firing properly in which the sniper team firing once could cut 2 Atlases out of the enemy team's push in a single volley and a full lance a mediums in the second, there is no brawling against that sort of thing and its just exposing yourself to the enemy in a hard to coordinate mob fashion in an attempt to overwhelm the enemy that doesn't work against highly coordinated units.

Faction play tier competitive and the normal queues in situations where you don't happen to be going up against a real comp unit you'll likely be fine doing brawler pushes and overwhelming the less coordinated enemy.

#16 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Guides & Strategies.[/mod]

#17 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 17 April 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

I hope I see you in game my friend , good luck.

Posted Image

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

I liked the General Skills section.
Other parts I disagree with, for instance Best Brawlers - Fast heavies

#19 Valleric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

View Postnitra, on 17 April 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Pretty good guide, until he starts talking about teamwork, sticking with the team, divided we fall, and dont use er-ppcs and the worst Patience ..

just needs a little juicing up with some glory and for the team martyrdom references and this might qualify for a sticky !!

All that teamwork stuff was good advice man. Source Mystic is a good player who knows what he's talking about. Just check his stats and compare them to yours nitra.

#20 Valleric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 17 April 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Ever compose a list of things you'd like to say in a forum and then think, "Ugh, what's the point?"

I enjoyed yo last post. Just gotta be slightly more specific next time as to what you were trying to say. If you would have worded it differently it would not have attracted the ire of good pilots. Its not the scrubs you gotta watch out for, its the vets who spot B.S. a mile away. So when you rag on an entire playstyle (that in the hands of experienced players is extremely good) its gnna have some backlash. Should have been more specific that yo beef was with scrubs in solo que or small drop team que, not brawlers. I think you learned though. I wanna see more posts from you in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users