Hbr Prime: Is This Build Any Good?

20 replies to this topic

#1 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

Hello all, simple question:

Is this following build of any use at all?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0578b14d21bd362

Thanks for any feedback; thoughts of how to improve the build welcome.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

-You'll want full armor on your torso and legs and anywhere with important weaponry, and you'll want it frontloaded to absorb the most damage.
-Machine guns are also in a pretty bad place for how weak they are, not entirely useless, but weight they use could be better used elsewhere.
-Using a single SRM4 is a pretty weak blast, SRMs work pretty well when massed and with Artemis in larger launchers
-Your ERLLs should be in higher mounts so you can fire over things at long range, your head and torso mounts are high up compared to the arms that can hit rocks or other cover in the way
-AMS is nice, but with ECM already you don't have too much to worry about when missiles are incoming, so that 1.5 tons can be used elsewhere
-Hellbringer is an omnimech, use this to your advantage and swap out the pods it has to create great hardpoint setups

Here is a build I made that is similar to yours.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7542fc0bdd756fe

The long range firepower is a bit weaker, but up close its devastating. The ERLL is right ontop of the cockpit though, so whatever you see you can hit. All the weapons are located in the torso to keep them clustered close so you won't waste shots in nearby walls or hit teammates in blindspots. The arms are empty and can be used to shield your torsos from damage if you twist well. Armor is maxed except for the arms so you should survive longer. Firing groups are reduced from 4 weapon types to 3, allowing for easier use in the heat of combat.

ERLL would be decent to give you some return fire at very long ranges and with its super high mount near the cockpit you can trade decently with it, just without much damage. At mid range you can throw the medium lasers into the mix to give yourself a decent strike while only revealing the upper half of your torso. If enemies get up close you'll have a powerful SRM strike that can be mixed in with the lasers. I wouldn't fire the ERLL up close due to its long durations if I was brawling because it causes a very long face time, meaning you can't twist and spread damage to the arms.

#3 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

First off: It's underarmoured.

320/434 -- stock armour is not good. HBR is not a quirked mech, so you need as much armour on it as possible to begin with.

Second, that's a very eclectic loadout -- ER LRGs are super long duration, when you have them on opposite arms like that, you're going to run into big convergence issues, and a lot more friendly fire than anyone'd be ok with. One SRM4 and two MGs, and lasers. Too many weapon groups, imo Posted Image

If you're going to stick on to the same type of loadout, I'd say

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6062e1982e029d5

With LPL/ERML like a stormcrow, or

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c009d64311556a8

With one less ERML than your build

Still, the HBR has a lot of potential, just check out mechspecs and metamechs for good builds.

Edit: Dakota beat me to the punch and has better builds up

Edited by Keshav Murali, 08 August 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#4 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

This is the version of your build you should run.

2 machine guns are always a waste of tonnage, without fail.

And with that laser config, you'll rarely have the heat cap to spare for SRMs. Just load up on your heatsinks and stick to lasers.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 08 August 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#5 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2da543a43802031

That is the build I used for mastering them, but you have to watch the heat. You can ditch a ton of the ammo for a heatsink, and play around with the armor. You can also strip the arms and replace the ER smalls with mediums if that is your thing. I like the range (with range module) and efficiency of ER smalls over mediums.

As far as playing that build, I tend to group with the assaults. The HBR gets fire-focused less when among them (which helps close the range and survive to fight), and you can keep the assaults under ECM coverage.

#6 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 08 August 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

This is the version of your build you should run.

2 machine guns are always a waste of tonnage, without fail.

And with that laser config, you'll rarely have the heat cap to spare for SRMs. Just load up on your heatsinks and stick to lasers.

I like the above build. I run a variant quite similar except I have one extra MLAS in the left arm, for that extra whumph. It's a deadly mech.

#7 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:12 PM

I run 2 uac10, 4 small laser. Ecm, 4 tons of ammo. It hits pretty
Hard

#8 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:46 AM

Would it be a waste to run PPCs on this chassis without velocity quirks? I'm thinking mostly the stock loadout with the TCIII, something like this
Machine guns are negotiable, and given the input from the rest of the thread it might be worthwhile just ditching them

#9 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

Keeping in the spirit of your build I would make it like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8f30f9978b31963

Pop on those arm actuators. Enjoy the articulation.

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:23 AM

I've leveling hellbringers, I've tried my favourite ER-L lasers with some medium or small pulse lasers, right now I'm trying 6xmed pulse. I'm not a huge fan of brawling as it requires waiting for the enemy to come in range.

I don't get with the suggested builds, why so huge amount of leg armor? My 25 is little bit low, 30 should be enough. For example I usually have 40-45 on Dire Wolf and that's quite sufficient.

Maybe I should drop the lasers from hands, and give legs the 30 armor and get more heatsinks. Should I try missiles to this as well, like 2x LRM5 or some SRM? 2x 6 or 4 SRM, which one would be better? I'd rather not switch to artemis right now.

HBR-PRIME 6xC-MPL

Edited by Teer5, 24 September 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#11 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostTeer5, on 24 September 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

I don't get with the suggested builds, why so huge amount of leg armor? My 25 is little bit low, 30 should be enough. For example I usually have 40-45 on Dire Wolf and that's quite sufficient.

It might be based on the kinds of enemies higher tier players face - where I'm languishing from in T5, most people aren't quite accurate enough to aim for the legs regardless of the mech, so I feel comfortable stripping a bit of the armour from there even if I'm also carrying ammo in them

#12 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

The hellbringer really benefits from keeping the loadout simple. It was my first clan mech many moons ago, back when I was terribad like every other newb, and I ended up selling it because I thought it was bad. Fast forward and I bought the thing on sale. Turns out it's a great mech, I do better in it than I do in my timber wolves (playstyle I guess, also a really low game count with it.) Anyways, keep the loadout simple and you can work with a lot of different builds. First, no machine guns. Two, stay away from the arm mounted lasers unless you are boating mediums. Three, 4 mediums+ 1 ballistic is actually really good on the Hellbringer. I recommend 4 mediums, an ECM, TC1, and any ballistic you choose as a sinple leveling build
The 4 mediums hit home at any range save maybe past 570 meters, and big ballistics can help you work towards your own playstyle.

#13 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

I finally found a config that works for me. I don't remember if I previously tried 4xER-L, I think I tried only 2xER-L with some midrange weapons. I did try ER-PPCs of various numbers but I rarely got decent damage.

It's possible eliting it helped a lot, I just mastered the one chassis I kept.

Really those high mounts with ECM really work nice with ER-L. 2xLRM 5s are just to have something to shoot while cooling off behind cover. Can't say TC1 or CAP are really useful either, if I'd drop either for heatsink it would be TC1, I'm often slighly exposed anyway so being able to target them is good for wins. Migh try drop hand and leg armor for one more heatsink, then I'd really be low on leg armor. On open maps I go flank the enemy little from side, rarely does any light or medium try to come get me.

Hellbringer 4xER-L

#14 seperate

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 08 August 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

-You'll want full armor on your torso and legs and anywhere with important weaponry, and you'll want it frontloaded to absorb the most damage.
-Machine guns are also in a pretty bad place for how weak they are, not entirely useless, but weight they use could be better used elsewhere.
-Using a single SRM4 is a pretty weak blast, SRMs work pretty well when massed and with Artemis in larger launchers
-Your ERLLs should be in higher mounts so you can fire over things at long range, your head and torso mounts are high up compared to the arms that can hit rocks or other cover in the way
-AMS is nice, but with ECM already you don't have too much to worry about when missiles are incoming, so that 1.5 tons can be used elsewhere
-Hellbringer is an omnimech, use this to your advantage and swap out the pods it has to create great hardpoint setups

Here is a build I made that is similar to yours.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7542fc0bdd756fe

The long range firepower is a bit weaker, but up close its devastating. The ERLL is right ontop of the cockpit though, so whatever you see you can hit. All the weapons are located in the torso to keep them clustered close so you won't waste shots in nearby walls or hit teammates in blindspots. The arms are empty and can be used to shield your torsos from damage if you twist well. Armor is maxed except for the arms so you should survive longer. Firing groups are reduced from 4 weapon types to 3, allowing for easier use in the heat of combat.

ERLL would be decent to give you some return fire at very long ranges and with its super high mount near the cockpit you can trade decently with it, just without much damage. At mid range you can throw the medium lasers into the mix to give yourself a decent strike while only revealing the upper half of your torso. If enemies get up close you'll have a powerful SRM strike that can be mixed in with the lasers. I wouldn't fire the ERLL up close due to its long durations if I was brawling because it causes a very long face time, meaning you can't twist and spread damage to the arms.

sooooooooo meta.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2dfc85f0196eedd
or if you absolutely gotta meta somehow
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b39270d0e407c6
second line, in your face lrming, with the assault, or at distance, plinkity plink plink. tcomp6 for the funzies. sml in both arms to keep me in the fight no matter how shrekt i am.

#15 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

View Postseperate, on 05 February 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

sooooooooo meta.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2dfc85f0196eedd
or if you absolutely gotta meta somehow
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b39270d0e407c6
second line, in your face lrming, with the assault, or at distance, plinkity plink plink. tcomp6 for the funzies. sml in both arms to keep me in the fight no matter how shrekt i am.

As a player who tends to use optimal builds in any cases, even non meta options, those builds hurt to look at.

#16 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 23 October 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

It's too hot. On paper it doesn't look like it, but it cannot dissipate the heat and that is a BIG problem. Takes way too long.
This is the most popular cERL build used by most... I've cranked 2k dmg many, many times in Faction Play with it.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 February 2017 - 10:45 PM.

#17 JENNER llC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

Super Sekret Hellbringer Prime Gauss + 6erML (available for all july 4th)

#18 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

I find it to be really fun with 4 er meds and 2 er larges cool shot 6 and cool shot 9, and as many heat sinks as I can fit after stripping the right arm for extra heatsink weight. Another build would be three erppcs in the left torso all the heatsinks, ecm and no arm armor, ppc rotary gun? Yes please :)

Edited by Stf Sgt Marblez, 23 February 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#19 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

2ERL / 4ERM is hardly meta...

#20 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:56 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 February 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

2ERL / 4ERM is hardly meta...

Touché good sir, I figured it might have been but it appears I was wrong. Ill correct my original post to reflect that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users