#1 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hello Guys,

Do you believe the Asian servers are starting to harm your MWO experience when it comes to group Q.

Searching time can take up to 43 Mins in prime time ( Avg 4 to 15 Mins)

The population is too low.

How to fix it.

Remove the server.
PRO: Should boost numbers, faster games
CON: Loose Comp servers, Some people will ***** about ping

Remove the Asian server from Group Q.
PRO: Should boost numbers, faster games
CON: Some people will ***** about ping
Hard lock Group Q to Asian and US Servers ( For people that tick Asian servers, NA customer wont be locked to Asian servers)
PRO: Should boost numbers, faster games, best of both worlds
CON: Some people will ***** about ping

Solo Players could have a tick box to join Group Q if they want.
PRO: More players into group Q, Might boost numbers
CON: Don't believe it will bring the numbers needed.

Change the matchmaking for the AP area in prime time

How to bring numbers back to the AP area.
  • Events, when running events make sure they include Friday night in Aust, most events in our timezone start on Sat and end on Tuesday.
  • Have Daily missions, log in bonuses.
  • Have a marketing person, to beat up support, knowledge of the game and better outlook on changes coming and why these changes will be good for the games
  • Stop rolling back bad patch, this undermines the game. ( get it right the first time)
  • Back to basics, why was this game so fun back in the day, how do we get back to that.
EDIT WRT PING

We have found that as long as your ping is stable and the person you are fighting has a stable ping HSR works great.

If you ping is not stable then it can be hard

What i would like to see the following
1. Solo Plays if they want to choose to drop in the Group Q
2. In the AP prime time after 3 mins of searching time, MM will start to look at servers not ticked ( this is for US players too)
3. MM speeds up the times it looks for lower or high tier ( can only be AP timezone)
4. Asian servers are kept.
5. PGI to do something to help grow the game in our region, or keep the players we have. ( why we might only be a small % of the overall plays, the fall out will affect the community, PGI profits)
6. Local prices for items, this might make new members buy items and get into the game faster.

Edited by live1991, 15 August 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#2 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

Cheers Live.

Server stuff:
- Removing the AP server won't help numbers if people are already selecting NA + AP or all three for faster matches anyway. Furthermore, AP server is essential for comp so must remain.

- I usually have NA and AP selected. In our prime time, most matches are on NA anyway even with 3/4 of the pilots being in the AP region due the server selection algorithm. Matches on the AP server are a pleasant ping boost.

- The hardlocking Group Q to NA + AP when AP selected is an interesting option that I can see helping more than the above two.

- Allowing solo players to join Group Q is great, I'm keen. Limiting to tier 1-3 may be advisable.

Other:
- Earlier event start would be great, they usually start 3am Saturday AEST which loses us Friday night.

- In terms of getting back to basics, look at the original maps, they were small and brawling friendly. There is not much more fun or basic than an AC20. If we could pick from my a couple different ranged ready mechs when dropping into a map, we'd have more fun and be willing be more adventurous with builds. In solo this would be from the weight class you launched in. In group, from the tonnage you launched in. i.e. if I launched in a group in an 85 tonner, I could pick any ready 85 tonner when a map is chosen.

#3 Drop Bear

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia W.A.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

Most of this i agree with being valid but the ping issue though sometimes a question of skill is not always. Right now i experience an average between 60-120 on AP but when i switch to the NA servers that hits an almighty 300+ which means that i basically can't play. My games literally become worse when this happens. Now when it was at 200-240 in the early days this was fine but for a multitude of reasons those of us in west aus get terrible pings to the states therefore it might be better to help deal with these inflated pings and get back to the 200-240 range for us west aussies and similar areas in other countries. I think china has a similar issue.

Edited by Drop Bear, 08 August 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#4 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:24 AM

Does your ping go up and down ? maybe that is the problem. ( or maybe with a bad ISP ) ??

I play on all 3 servers

AP 200 Ping
NA 280 ping
EU 380/400 ping

I live in a remote part of Aust.

#5 Drop Bear

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia W.A.

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:40 AM

Telstra is my ISP and the ping variation is more to do with the difference between business prime time and game prime time with the larger ping being during the business prime time. I live in the Perth suburbs so yeah that is about all i can say for what can be affecting my ping.

#6 ArJuna

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:28 AM

Really, I don't see what your on about...

I'm in Perth (iiNet), and I have no problems on NA or EU servers with these pings:

SG: 58ms
NA: 260ms
EU: 360ms

Sure, It does take a little adjustment in aimpoint, but thats not a huge issue, and you get used to it pretty quickly.

#7 Guillocuda

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 85 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia,

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

I play with the following:

AP: between 100 and 160 ms usually
NA: 220-280ms
EU: 280-340ms

From the south of Tasmania with Dodo 100/40mbit NBN.

I don't think turning off the OCE/AP servers would be a benefit at all. All ping means is adjusting your aiming point and thinking maneuvers through a little more--I was capable of playing for Div A in all three regions last season of MRBC.

Edited by Guillocuda, 09 August 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#8 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

Live1991 as I've said before. You're #op
MM cannot find you a group match unless 228, ISRC, JGx or such are online and grouped up.

We do group drops usually with Oceanic or NA servers selected. Longest wait time for a game is usually just under 10 minutes.
Mind you we're dropping from 2100hrs GMT+8 and to be honest most matches we do end up on the NA server, but hey. A game's a game. ;)

As for bringing up the numbers and such. I don't favor removing any Servers given how we had to bug Russ a long time ago to get 1 for the AP region. That server also helps with MRBC, Midway and such.

I'd generally say it boils down to how PGI has set up MM to look for matches. Perhaps that could be tweaked for faster matches.

#9 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Leave the server be
As was said us Asians/Oceanics need a league hub server
We fought long and hard to get it, not wise to let it go.

Sure might reduce wait times on group que

But I fail to see how it would increase numbers.

#10 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:11 AM

View Postlive1991, on 08 August 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

Hello Guys,
Do you believe the Asian servers are starting to harm your MWO experience when it comes to group Q.

Not from my perspective. (Mind you I am a very casual player now.)

I was going to ask what time you generally log on with your group which may be a factor.

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 August 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

Leave the server be

Well said OZ, I fully agree.

A new approach with Oceanic servers may be the answer. I personally hate playing Faction Warfare on the NA server, perhaps with the weight of Mr Bear, Arjuna, Jay Z, Live 1991, Oz and other big Oceanic names we could give the groups two avenues to play.

Group Queue on Quick Play as is and perhaps a couple of Oceanic Faction Warfare Servers.

Just an idea,

Mmmmmmm..... yes

Mech-Cellent!

#11 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 August 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

Leave the server be
As was said us Asians/Oceanics need a league hub server

Sure might reduce wait times on group que

But I fail to see how it would increase numbers.

I gave other options other than removing the servers to try and boost number, opening up solo Q to Group Q would be great.
Maybe if people only have OC servers ticket after 3 mins of searching it could start to look for a server that is not ticked

Play time is around 7Pm to 11PM AEST time.

Does anyone know how long it takes for MM to open up the tiers?

Does anyone have any other ideas ?

#12 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

I tend to get 280ish on NA, 350ish EU and 310ish oceania. Im in south eastern australia. Ping is real high most of the time the lowest i see is 240

Anyone else getting several disconnects a day going with TPG?

Edited by Violet Vitriol Price, 10 August 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#13 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostGuillocuda, on 09 August 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

I play with the following:

AP: between 100 and 160 ms usually
NA: 220-280ms
EU: 280-340ms

From the south of Tasmania with Dodo 100/40mbit NBN.

I don't think turning off the OCE/AP servers would be a benefit at all. All ping means is adjusting your aiming point and thinking maneuvers through a little more--I was capable of playing for Div A in all three regions last season of MRBC.

I agree, but how many non AP people play on the server, most just ***** about there ping

#14 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

What i would like to see the following
1. Solo Plays if they want to choose to drop in the Group Q
2. In the AP prime time after 3 mins of searching time, MM will start to look at servers not ticked ( this is for US players too)
3. MM speeds up the times it looks for lower or high tier ( can only be AP timezone)
4. Asian servers are kept.
5. PGI to do something to help grow the game in our region, or keep the players we have. ( why we might only be a small % of the overall plays, the fall out will affect the community, PGI profits)
6. Local prices for items, this might make new members buy items and get into the game faster.

Edited by live1991, 10 August 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#15 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

i would be quite happy for local prices, currently AU is 73 cents on the USD making purchases quite expensive. I would be inclined to spend more if there wasnt a 25% price hike on everything.

And thats Australia i cant imagine how much it must be from Indonesia for example

#16 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

my 5ms ping over my dead commando...

#17 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostJay Z, on 08 August 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Cheers Live.

Server stuff:
- Removing the AP server won't help numbers if people are already selecting NA + AP or all three for faster matches anyway. Furthermore, AP server is essential for comp so must remain.

- I usually have NA and AP selected. In our prime time, most matches are on NA anyway even with 3/4 of the pilots being in the AP region due the server selection algorithm. Matches on the AP server are a pleasant ping boost.

- The hardlocking Group Q to NA + AP when AP selected is an interesting option that I can see helping more than the above two.

- Allowing solo players to join Group Q is great, I'm keen. Limiting to tier 1-3 may be advisable.

Other:
- Earlier event start would be great, they usually start 3am Saturday AEST which loses us Friday night.

- In terms of getting back to basics, look at the original maps, they were small and brawling friendly. There is not much more fun or basic than an AC20. If we could pick from my a couple different ranged ready mechs when dropping into a map, we'd have more fun and be willing be more adventurous with builds. In solo this would be from the weight class you launched in. In group, from the tonnage you launched in. i.e. if I launched in a group in an 85 tonner, I could pick any ready 85 tonner when a map is chosen.

Totally agree on this one, weekend events are missing an entire evening, not like we can stay up on Monday night to compensate...

View PostDrop Bear, on 08 August 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Most of this i agree with being valid but the ping issue though sometimes a question of skill is not always. Right now i experience an average between 60-120 on AP but when i switch to the NA servers that hits an almighty 300+ which means that i basically can't play. My games literally become worse when this happens. Now when it was at 200-240 in the early days this was fine but for a multitude of reasons those of us in west aus get terrible pings to the states therefore it might be better to help deal with these inflated pings and get back to the 200-240 range for us west aussies and similar areas in other countries. I think china has a similar issue.

View PostArJuna, on 09 August 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Really, I don't see what your on about...

I'm in Perth (iiNet), and I have no problems on NA or EU servers with these pings:

SG: 58ms
NA: 260ms
EU: 360ms

Sure, It does take a little adjustment in aimpoint, but thats not a huge issue, and you get used to it pretty quickly.

Agreed Arjuna, honestly Drop Bear in my experience as long as your ping is stable even on Euro servers up around 350-360ms as long as you aim at what you can see, the PGI backtracking software(cant remember its name), seems to work fine.

#18 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Oceanic servers have imo much more polite and laidback players and we should keep the servers just because of the levels of politeness and courtesy shown there. Dropped into NA and it is just full of whines and rage.

#19 Nisk

Rookie

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMechlab

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

View Postlive1991, on 08 August 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

The population is too low.

You must construct additional pylons.

#20 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

I play NA and OC, not a problem
Europe takes more adjusting, so I only don't bother just so that aiming is more consistent
Its still playable

I know of some non oceanian's who also play on the OC

Maybe if pgi made the new playa stuff better, Did stuff to retain the existing playa base better numbers would improve

Server aint got much to do with it

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 August 2016 - 08:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users