59 replies to this topic

#41 Captain Tristan The Lucky

• PipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

I heard something about this being suggested a while ago, i cant remember the arguments for and against though, twas before i joined

#42 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 22 August 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Perhaps a complete reorganization of the FWLM?

As of now, we have 153 active players. (Active is being defined as "Last online" dating to the 1st of August)
As of now, we have 16 active units (According to the website)

Which leaves a grand total of 9.5 people per unit, if everyone enlisted into one of those 16 active units. However, this isn't the case. There are people who aren't in a unit, have created their own one person units...
There is no cohesion.

When we do QP drops, we often go up against 1 or 2 different tags on the other team.
With us, almost everyone of us has a different tag.

Perhaps its time to reorganize Marik into 1 or 2 units for now. That way, it has the possibility to increase organization, cooperation and recruitment.

Instead of having 16 units, each doing their own thing, we're a focused force able to field a 12-man or multiple.

Just my lack of .98 cents.

Tanner and I spoke about this briefly, re-orging the way MS does it. We all would have FWLM tags in game, but our TS tags would show our own unit (a way to maintain unit loyalty for the old timers who care). But phase three came and recruitment costs would prohibit that now.

#43 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostLovas, on 22 August 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

But phase three came and recruitment costs would prohibit that now.

Recruitment costs? Please elaborate.
I'm not familiar with costs of running a unit, and why it would be prohibited because of this.

#44 Captain Tristan The Lucky

• PipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 22 August 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

Recruitment costs? Please elaborate.
I'm not familiar with costs of running a unit, and why it would be prohibited because of this.

Basically it costs the unit C bills in order to invite people to join it. The larger the unit, the more it costs, for example if your unit has 50 members then it will cost 3,000,000 C bills to send an invite

#45 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

It costs CBills to send a unit invite. The base cost, iirc, is 2,000,000 CBills, and it goes up with each new invite.

#46 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Let me chime in as a former Marik pilot and fan:

The current state of Faction Wars and the Battletech lore itself is what killed it for me, and opted to just freelance it.

Faction Wars, back when I bothered with them, took entirely too long to get into one. And if you ever dared try to drop with PUGs, you may as well have chalked that one up as a loss right off the bat.

But to be fair, it's the BattleTech lore itself and PGI's adherence to it (in this particular regard) is also what eventually made me leave the faction I otherwise like the most of them all. Put simply: There's no action in Marik space. All the fights are happening up in Rasalhague, Steiner, and Kurita space as the clans invade. Me being the realist here, I play MWO for the action first, the roleplaying as a latter priority. So, to be honest with you guys, if PGI ever gets their $#!+ together with faction wars, I might end up going with Rasalhague. Lore-wise, I don't really care for them, but reality is that they get in the most fights in MWO and thus that's where the action (and C-bills) are.

That said, Russ mentioned something about alliances, so hopefully Marik will be able to jump to the defense of an inner sphere planet when clans invade. If that turns out to be the case, I'd jump back in for the Purple Bird - provided I don't hear too much b!tching and moaning that it breaks lore over voice comms.

Edited by Signal27, 22 August 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#47 Weagles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

As for Merik not having organization that is not true. It just gets rather boring defending someone else's planet against clans or fighting Davion all the time. The Davion experience with Liao is if you are not on when TCAF is on their border defenses rely on you getting bored of the dry drops. Check out the link below for suggestions on how to get more active fronts without changing your loyalty.

http://mwomercs.com/...arfare-phase-4/

#48 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

The whole reason I have always ran my own clans, guilds and so on is to run it the way I wanna run it and not be restricted by the leader so I can do things my way.
The way of the filthy chatty casual. :P
But even considering if it could be done that all units would merge into one you'll get the inner segregation anyways.
Having some chats with other Marik unit leaders so here and there would be better if you wanna get more organised if you ask me.
I heard from Drago that there is already something like this going on every month maybe it could be done more often?

#49 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 22 August 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Perhaps a complete reorganization of the FWLM?

As of now, we have 153 active players. (Active is being defined as "Last online" dating to the 1st of August)
As of now, we have 16 active units (According to the website)

Which leaves a grand total of 9.5 people per unit, if everyone enlisted into one of those 16 active units. However, this isn't the case. There are people who aren't in a unit, have created their own one person units...
There is no cohesion.

When we do QP drops, we often go up against 1 or 2 different tags on the other team.
With us, almost everyone of us has a different tag.

Perhaps its time to reorganize Marik into 1 or 2 units for now. That way, it has the possibility to increase organization, cooperation and recruitment.

Instead of having 16 units, each doing their own thing, we're a focused force able to field a 12-man or multiple.

Just my lack of .98 cents.

This doesn't really solve anything. If 12 players are playing together it doesn't matter if they all have the same tag or 1w different tags. We are all Marik. The purple eagle is our unifying tag.

Edit: with that in mind I would actually be more for consolidating the Teamspeak channels more than consolidating the tags. We are too spread out in Teamspeak but I have a feeling removing unit specific bays would be unpopular. It worked in Seraphim though. The battalions and companies still had practices they just held their practices in one of the empty general bays.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 22 August 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#50 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 22 August 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

This doesn't really solve anything. If 12 players are playing together it doesn't matter if they all have the same tag or 1w different tags. We are all Marik. The purple eagle is our unifying tag.

Edit: with that in mind I would actually be more for consolidating the Teamspeak channels more than consolidating the tags. We are too spread out in Teamspeak but I have a feeling removing unit specific bays would be unpopular. It worked in Seraphim though. The battalions and companies still had practices they just held their practices in one of the empty general bays.

This is definitely something I was thinking about as well, with the overall consolidation.
Speaking for myself, as I'm not in a Unit (I don't really count my 1 man, just trying it out)
I don't ever go down farther than FW rooms on the TS server.

On the off chance I do, I see lots of names in some of the unit rooms.. But most often I stay in the General Drop Bays, and have met some fantastic people there. To the point where I consider myself in a unit with them, since we drop almost daily together.

And while yes, the Marik banner is our unifier, I feel a lot of people in separate units, are on their own program... Doing their own thing.
Just kinda breaks up the communication a little, IMO.

#51 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 20 August 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

That is kind of the problem I have.
Not the identifying part but all anchor players in any clan, guild and probably also unit that I have ran before couldn't handle the weight of the ship so to say.
So if I would happen to leave for a long period of time it starts to degrade till everything goes away and gotta start over from scratch, well beside most key players I had in these groups that tend to return to me.
I do like to encourage the unit members to do all kinds of things but you brought me to an idea actually to expand on it. Posted Image
-

As faction warfare goes maybe if you lot stop voting to attack Jade Falcon and poke Davions instead we could have more IS vs IS stuff going on.
As JohnTanner says we eat Davions for breakfast! Posted Image
So please other Marikians stop starving us we wanna eat! Posted Image

well people tend to go where the wins and the prey is, thats why thinsg are ver yunbalanced atm. After tukkayyid 2 many clanners went inactive. It went a bit boring. Now we have not many people left participating and they get soaked into the larger factions where stuff does happening. Even previous loyalists units entirely swapped over to the falcons.
If you want to be succesfull, take your noobs and train them all hard to get good. You need a steady number of loyalist people if you want to properly do FW. It will be hard or nearimpossible to gather theskilld palyers, as hey are already sold to various units already. But trianign your own noobs to skilled pilots and makin them grow an attachement to your unit is a possibility to grow strength. Clan Wolf has a few skilled palyers left, but they aren't enough to turn the table in the third round of FW. And having played with you some matches during the tournament, your guys need alot more experience and skill to properly perform in FW. Only few diehard loyalists stick with skills are stuck in their underpopulated factions. So trian your noobs, and make them diehard loylists then your unit and the purple birds may rise again.

@bacon you do not need to reorganise units, often some people are too attached to their units to ever leave them. it is more important to organise a common platform for them to meet. Like a Teamspeakserver where everyone cna hop in to easily find a group of playing Mariks. Then even those clustered Units will go and do well. The key is in FW the organisation of finding and gathering the players of your faction on a unit crossing level. in the high days of clan wolf, there was heavy organisation between the Russian wolves CWI and CWDG, which included even phone calls to organise things. quite fun, but it was a proper concept that worked and gathered the 12 mans.

Edited by Lily from animove, 23 August 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#52 JunglistGuy

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Been playing off and on for 4 years, back into it. 4 probation matches left. anyone who wants to play faction, hit me up.

#53 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

We had the soft open for Monday Marik Madness last night and it was a lot of fun. We will try it again next Monday at 10 PM Eastern.

#54 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostCaptain Tristan The Lucky, on 22 August 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

I heard something about this being suggested a while ago, i cant remember the arguments for and against though, twas before i joined

I don't remember either, but getting all your eggs in one basket is not easy as it goes against human nature. Why don't we all root for the same sports teams? or try to sit with everyone at lunch? or why doesn't every country fly the UN flag? Some of us want to drop in the General Bays with others, and some don't. It is all part of the freedom we live in under the Purple Eagle. And I'm OK with that.

If the FWLM's primary goal was to conquer in FW, then yes it would make sense to abandon the unit tags and all fly an FWLM tag. However, as far as I can tell that is not the FWLM's main goal. I have read nothing, nor has it been spoken to me, in all the years I've been here to say that it was, is, or will be the main goal. The FWLM is a meeting place for many Marik players and units. It's a coalition with a goal of having fun. That might mean doing well in FW to some, but something different to others. And I'm OK with that.

#55 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 21 August 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

And no, you've not offended me at all.

Posted Image You mean you don't want the beer??? Posted Image Posted Image

#56 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:12 AM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 23 August 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

Posted Image You mean you don't want the beer??? Posted Image Posted Image

I'm a teetotaler. Posted Image

#57 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

You know what broke marik?

Shying away from bloody fighting kurita...

Remember wazan.

#58 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 22 August 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

The whole reason I have always ran my own clans, guilds and so on is to run it the way I wanna run it and not be restricted by the leader so I can do things my way.
The way of the filthy chatty casual. Posted Image
But even considering if it could be done that all units would merge into one you'll get the inner segregation anyways.
Having some chats with other Marik unit leaders so here and there would be better if you wanna get more organised if you ask me.
I heard from Drago that there is already something like this going on every month maybe it could be done more often?

I just wanted to mention that MGA, Marik Gunfighters Alliance was set up for pilots to do what they want while supporting the FWL, the only requirement is to be a Marik loyalist. http://marikgunfight...in.com/aboutmga

We do have unit events, like gunfighter duels but we primarilly support the other units as they need people. Though honestly in Marik all the units mix and match regularly anyway so its not really a MGA specific thing.

On the topic of CW/FP and Mariks population, the problem isnt really Marik, its the current CW system, we've done our best to make due with all PGIs growing pains but there comes a point where your just hitting your head against the wall. I'm not really worried about Mariks ranking in CW at this point untill PGI can program the drop deck menu correctly let alone fix all the other issues that need to be addressed from the CW rountable. After those issues get fixed then you'll see people come back out of the quick play bays and get more involved in CW.

#59 Artannis Veritieri

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

I had to take a break from MWO for a while because I got completely fed up with CW. Part of it is what faction are we fighting, I like fighting Davion, we slug it out pretty well. It had been hard to get one 12 man going, maybe it still is, and often it is best to have at least two. Many players don't have time to spend 7 hours in the attack phase to maybe, Maybe, take a planet, and that is winning pretty much all your matches. It is an incredible time investment with a high probability of no pay off with only a single 12 man. I have been on only for the tournaments. Before I left I was the most prolific scout pilot in Marik with 100+intel over the next closest pilot and yet I was finding there was no point in moving the needle in our favor because either no 12 man would form or it would fall apart and not take advantage of the gains. Frustrated by this I needed a break. I am pretty competitive and really looked forward to earn MC for my faction to help people out but it is so hard to successfully take a planet with such limited numbers that I felt like I was spinning my wheels and spending a lot of my free time in fruitless endeavors. I would be willing to learn drop calling, getting better at calling targets, and battlefield awareness. I am certainly not the best pilot but I ain't no slouch either. I am about as good as I am going to get without actual training.

#60 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostSunstruck, on 24 August 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

I just wanted to mention that MGA, Marik Gunfighters Alliance was set up for pilots to do what they want while supporting the FWL, the only requirement is to be a Marik loyalist. http://marikgunfight...in.com/aboutmga

Support any unit, eh?
Get your bums over to faction warfare and no lame excuses. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users