Hellebore Springs Gen Rush

10 replies to this topic

#1 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:57 AM

For discussion of how to counter the Assault lance through Alpha gate decoy, while lights jump Beta and attack gens directly.

Shadowplay didn't record my mic, but did record my TS audio (I was dropping solo and was hanging out in channel with someone else in my unit, and you can hear him) and the Gameday Audio stream of the Red Sox game I had on in the background (which means the video's audio is likely going to be blocked in the near future), but I was definitely giving orders to the team as best I could.

The first wave actually went better than it normally does with solos defending, but the second wave was a Kodiak push right to the final gen and Omega, which seems to be the common follow up when the first wave doesn't end the match.

#2 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

Meh.
I rather fight.

#3 Colonel ONeill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 662 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

I did not watch it too long, but there some heavy mistakes your team did.
Just pointing out the obvious ones (I bet there are several other things):
  • No scouting at all.
  • All defending at Omega in the 1st wave.
  • Focus fire?
  • Not hurting their second wave by pushing out.
  • Again defending at omega.
No way you can win a game with a coward at omega. you give the enemy all the good positions. you can be lucky they went for omega and made it quick.

€dit: but to be fair, defending an Omega rush is really hard. even a good group on TS will struggle.

Edited by Colonel ONeill, 17 August 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#4 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostColonel ONeill, on 17 August 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

I did not watch it too long, but there some heavy mistakes your team did.
Just pointing out the obvious ones (I bet there are several other things):
  • No scouting at all.
  • All defending at Omega in the 1st wave.
  • Focus fire?
  • Not hurting their second wave by pushing out.
  • Again defending at omega.
No way you can win a game with a coward at omega. you give the enemy all the good positions. you can be lucky they went for omega and made it quick.

€dit: but to be fair, defending an Omega rush is really hard. even a good group on TS will struggle.

The problem is, where else can you defend? If you push to meet the lights jumping over the gate, they will run right by you, and you won't be able to catch up with them before they get all the gens. They send the assaults through the other gate to draw mechs away from the Omega area, and it's not cowardice that everyone stayed back, they did because I was telling them to not get drawn away and leave the gens open to lights. Had we gone forward to meet the assaults, the game would have been over instantly, with how fast their lights go for the gens. Even staying full back, we only managed to save one gen in the first wave.
Like, we're not lucky they just went for Omega, this is all they do, they don't ever go for mechs, so it doesn't matter what position we give them for trading. I had a hunch the second wave would be all Kodiaks, but if they did the same as the first wave again, the game is instantly over as well.

Edited by Husker Dude, 17 August 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#5 Colonel ONeill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 662 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:26 AM

Well, you kind of go for legs on the lights. Some mediums or other lights can deal with them. SRMs are a good counter to lights on that map, if you ask me. You should 1st meet em in B2. If a mech is legged, leave em and search for the next target. Couple UAVs are good to keep track.

The heavier mechs should be in E2. On both hills, you got kind of good lines towards the south gate. Put strikes on them and use Dakka/Gauss to suppress.

If you know what their plan is, you can concentrate on one group, and after you killed em fast go for the other.
Good spots on that map are B2, C1, D3 on the hills, and all the hills in E2. You usually dont wanna be in the low ground near omega. DPS builds are good to stop these kind of pushes.

€dit:
I tried to draw the firelines I have in mind. As I said, to counter the strat from the video, I would send the lights up north and the heavier mechs to the south or middle. You can cover omega from different angles. Good luck!

Posted Image

Edited by Colonel ONeill, 17 August 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely try to get the team to defend closer to Beta, though I imagine that many solo players will be a little skeptical of moving away from the open gate where they know mechs are coming. Keeping the lights from blowing right by will definitely be a challenge, though.

#7 Spider00x

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Scouting is key every round you can spare it, and do enemy spotted on the command wheel so you can track where they move for a few moments after you loose lock. A lot of times ive countered gen rushes by standing on that e2 platform and as they funnel through shooting legs. I might also put a few light mechs in the crows nest.

As far as the assaulting going north gates gotta put a lance up there to slow them down.

#8 Colonel ONeill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 662 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

Defending a genrush with pugs is almost impossible. The design of the maps and the objective is so bad, it is kind of easy to get the omega with 4 waves. The key to stop a genrush is in my opinion, that you gonna throw mechs at them. As kills do not really matter you have to push out and meet them as far away from omega as possible. that slows em down and you are able to reduce the numbers that reach omega. But as said, pugs not gonna stick to orders very well.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostHusker Dude, on 17 August 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

The problem is, where else can you defend? If you push to meet the lights jumping over the gate, they will run right by you, and you won't be able to catch up with them before they get all the gens. They send the assaults through the other gate to draw mechs away from the Omega area, and it's not cowardice that everyone stayed back, they did because I was telling them to not get drawn away and leave the gens open to lights. Had we gone forward to meet the assaults, the game would have been over instantly, with how fast their lights go for the gens. Even staying full back, we only managed to save one gen in the first wave.
Like, we're not lucky they just went for Omega, this is all they do, they don't ever go for mechs, so it doesn't matter what position we give them for trading. I had a hunch the second wave would be all Kodiaks, but if they did the same as the first wave again, the game is instantly over as well.

lights kill lights.

have 2 lights at each gate to scout where the opponents come in have the lights be stationed at omega. if the scouts spot the heavies at a gate, the big ball roles to that side, and the lights stay at omega with a scout left at the gate the big ball does not appear. Once you can confirm the opponent team is full at the one side let your lights come to help. If mechs are still missing there, they mostlikely come the other way and then you have your lights at omega going to inetrcept the lights on the other gate that the remainign scout will surely spot.

then you have a fair setup but it will require some patient scouts knowing they won't be in the pew pew action a lot. The worst is just waiting at omega all the time as this takes you away the time to shoot down mechs that focus on omega alone.

However in pugs where you cannot coordinate which mechs are chosen at the drop and such this is very low in chance to work as it requires havign the right mechs available and doing their job.

View Posttee5, on 18 August 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

Says Stahlherz. Who's unit was many, many times killing the enemies of the first wave, and in the pause taking down Omega in first wave.
I was there. So don't say its not true.

Yeah I know you wanted to take over the planet.
But nobody had fun.

EDIT: Spelling.

FW is about conquering planets if you want to have "fun" go group queue or solo queue.

Edited by Lily from animove, 18 August 2016 - 03:08 AM.

#10 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:40 PM

hmm stylin and profiling.

#11 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

you are forgetting that the best defense against a few lights are the turrets because they dont miss and can delay them untill you arrive. omega can be a meeting point but not defense position. you can never save omega from 12 healthy mechs (even locust or spider)
like said before 12man against randoms seldom works, the glorious shocking defenses that i won on such defense can be counted on my fingers
ha ha, teamplay is OP, merciful enemies you had
and then the next is counter attack so if you dont like gen rushes, win on the counter
look how they did it, assemble a team and do it on their turf

Edited by multisoul, 26 August 2016 - 01:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users