Warhawk Vs. Marauder Ilc

26 replies to this topic

#1 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

This is a thread from the future, from when the MAD IIC is freshly released and people start realizing that he is a direct concurrent to the Warhawk amongst the Clan Mechs, weighting the same but being a battlemech.

What Mech and for what reason will (appearance and lore do count as reasons) will you prefer? :)

#2 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

Too early to say considering the game favors quirks heavily but the Torso Hard Points and ability to swap the engine on the Mad IIC will be a big benefits.

#3 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

Have to agree with Steel. The base line high Hard Point and customization ability will give an advantage vs the Warhawk.

#4 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:30 PM

Unless the quirks royally suck and they seldom do in newly released mechs, the hit boxes are decisively worst than those of IS Marauder and MAD IIC loses the high torso weapon mounts; MAD IIC is going to blow Warhawk into oblivion. MAD IIC is the most obvious example of powercreep ever, and we've had much of it.

#5 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:39 AM

I'm asking because Kanjashi already expressed a similar thought in his video. It sounds reasonable, but I was wondering if there is a chance for another outcome.
And in addition, how big the fanbase of the Masakari is and if such a power shift leads to upset.

#6 JaidenHaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:26 AM

IMO we will have at least a similar good chassis with the Marauder. The Warhawk has strong points, but since Omnis are not heavily quirked and they are very arm heavy, the Marauder IIC will probably be a good alternative or, depending on the quirks, way better.

#7 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:59 AM

Marauder ainec. It will destroy the Warhawk everywhere. Speed, loadout, more and better hardpoint locations. Warhawk is already limited even with Omnipods.

The large amount of locked heat sinks. No options for endo/ferro, swapping engines, ecm and tons more the list goes on and on. They should give the Warhawk another variant or two and a another quirk or the only reason you'd take one would be you just like the mech better.

Edited by FearNotDeath, 18 August 2016 - 05:03 AM.

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostBrizna, on 17 August 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

MAD IIC is the most obvious example of powercreep ever, and we've had much of it.

It's only a power creep if you never saw it coming. People been talking about the possibly of the IIC ever since the Marauder was announced and the Mad IIC is one of those mechs you really have to screw up for it to be anything less than a power house.

Besides, it wasn't like the Warhawk's popularity wasn't already in qestion. I have seen twice as many Dire Wolves than Warhawks on PUG drops.

#9 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

That’s maybe because of the people’s latent gigantism asking for one hundred tons of heavy metal no matter what.
I only have a few Clan Mechs but find the Warhawk much more pleasant to drive than the helpless walking obesity from 15 t above.

But speaking of the Direwhale: How does it oppose it’s tonnage concurrent from the Battlemech coast, the Kodiak? Something besides of being sold for CB?

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

That ECM reinforcement variant looks nice, kinda like Hellbringer but with much more loadout weight.

When I was looking for first assult to master with the assult sales, Warhawk didn't really seem to offer so much, it was quick to ignore. For nearly same weight you can get Highlander IIC with OK hardpoints but more versatility with engines and jump jets.

For Marauder IIC well if they want to sell them for real money they have to be somewhat better than mechs available for C-Bills, I mean why would people buy them otherwise. Yes some people would buy just because, lore or other sentimental reasons, but most people want some value for their money.

#11 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

The Warhawk is a great mech and when I do see it on the battlefield, it does very well. The only reason the Dire Wolf appears to overshadow it is due the extra 15 tones for that much more weapons for some truly insane builds.

As for the Kodiak vs Dire Wolf, the Kodiak has allot going for it but it won't kill the Dire. The Kodiak's high engine cap, torso twist rate and high mounts makes it much more user friendly and maneuverable than the Dire (It's called the Whale for the reason) but the Kodiak's wide torso also makes it squishier target so tanking is a bad idea. Goes double for the Care Bear 1 and 5 that have almost no structure quirks what so ever that often make them feel like the pre-rescale Awesome when the other team starts screaming "Kill the Kodiak!"

Bad torso twist and/or bad Quirks could really hurt the the MAD IIC, need to wait and see.

#12 Temjin TJ

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 37 posts
  • LocationLancaster CA

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Marauder IIC or bust
My money is on the Marauder IIC. The options you get for engines, heat sinks, armor & weapons is much more versatile than the Warhawk. The Marauder is a very nice heavy mech and I struggle to do good in the Warhawk. The builds that are available with the Marauder IIC fits my style of playing better. Omni tech is nice but it limits what you can do with a Mech's loadout.
Have a great day and see you on the Battlefield.

#13 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Warhawk is trash. Marauder IIC will wipe the floor with it. Standard battlemechs are more customizable and versatile than omnis anyway.

#14 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'm honestly considerably less excited about the MAD-IIC now that I have seen Energy Draw. I mean it's alpha limited and burst DPS limited... so what's the point. Night Gyr can already max out the burst DPS limit as it stands.

#15 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

Energy Draw is not a sure thing as of yet.

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 18 August 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Standard battlemechs are more customizable and versatile than omnis anyway.

Which is actually kinda backwards but it's too late to change that.

#16 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

The problem are not Battlemechs in general, but the IIC Mechs which use technology that, from a balancing perspective, makes up with efficiency for being mostly fixed in the omnipods.

#17 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostBrizna, on 17 August 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

Unless the quirks royally suck and they seldom do in newly released mechs....

cough....Archer...Phoenix Hawk...cough

Seriously though...OmniMechs are supposed to be the NEXT generation of mechs...the forefront of the invasion....better than standard battlemechs which are assigned to garrison duties/stuff...

They probably won't quirk the Mad IIC too much...probably like highlander IIC.
That or they buff the Warhawk.

#18 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostHemholtz, on 19 August 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

Seriously though...OmniMechs are supposed to be the NEXT generation of mechs...the forefront of the invasion....better than standard battlemechs which are assigned to garrison duties/stuff...

Only the Mad IIC was always good, from the Table Top to MechWarrior 2. Besides, garrison mechs become more and more common during the clan invasion out of necessity.

As for Omni vs Standard, Mechlab makes every mech omni. It's been that way from MW2 on. It all comes down to hard points, the Timber Wolf or Dire Wolf have plenty to mix and match while the Warhawk has always been built around a few big guns in the arms + missiles.

#19 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

Ah, the metamechs.com guy’s article on the MAD IIC.
He is speaking of a “slightly better Warhawk”:

It's going to be a slightly better Warhawk. The hitboxes will be better, the hardpoints will be better, the mount locations will be better. The only place where it will be worse is probably going to be quirks, which I expect to be minimal.

Edited by Kuaron, 20 August 2016 - 02:25 PM.

#20 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

To start I'm going to say I already bought the base package (so I can buy the rest later). That said...

I expect it to be a very solid 85 tonner. In it's 'class' I expect it to own the IS mechs of less weight and often even higher weight. Against other clan assaults the Kodiak and DWF will be the only mechs above it in raw firepower with as much space as the DWF depending on engine. Not as UAC focused though with a max of 3. However with it's high torso mounts for some of it's guns it will be much like the stalker or BM with the ability to shoot over cover.

I don't own the Warhawks, because I've never found them compelling. Most are best built as LRM boats with laser backup, with 'ok' ballistic and laser builds with those low slung weapon arms. The fact that they look like DWFs isn't a help either as DWFs are typically focused fired first, so when one is thought to be a DWF it eats a focus attack.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users