75 replies to this topic

#1 Acid Phase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 553 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

IF this promotes TTK to be massively increased.....longer brawling.....well then I'm all for it. People nowadays don't want to work for their kills. They want to just glance at the enemy and just have him killed in seconds. Not sure anyone else realizes this, but that is not Battletech, and Mechwarrior Online exists in the world of Battletech.

Edited by Acid Phase, 18 August 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#2 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

It turns out that PGI is indeed using Homless Bill's proposed system after almost 2 years?

http://www.qqmercs.c...-to-ghost-heat/

#3 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 18 August 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

It turns out that PGI is indeed using Homless Bill's proposed system after almost 2 years?

Not quite. Why is a laser the same as a PPC for instance?

View PostAcid Phase, on 18 August 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

IF this promotes TTK to be massively increased.....longer brawling.....well then I'm all for it. People nowadays don't want to work for their kills. They want to just glance at the enemy and just have him killed in seconds. Not sure anyone else realizes this, but that is not Battletech, and Mechwarrior Online exists in the world of Battletech.

When not playing against potatoes, you DO work for your kills.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 18 August 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#4 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

Only as a base concept. Every detail that MIGHT have made that system work has been greatly altered in PGI's system.

Also I chuckle at the idea that brawling is now circle-strafing while chain firing single MLs.

#5 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about how it works.

#6 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 18 August 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

Only as a base concept. Every detail that MIGHT have made that system work has been greatly altered in PGI's system.

Also I chuckle at the idea that brawling is now circle-strafing while chain firing single MLs.

Now? That's more or less what it's been for every online MW play. Remember MW3 and 4?

#7 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Patching TS now. Servers seem to be up.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 August 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#8 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

Haven't tried it yet, but I bet it's not exactly like HB set out, because only Russ knows how to program this game.

#9 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 18 August 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Haven't tried it yet, but I bet it's not exactly like HB set out, because only Russ knows how to program this game.

I'm not talking about exact implementation, just how it generally works ('Mechs have an energy pool and weapons which have specific energy draw values draw energy from this pool).

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 18 August 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

I'm not talking about exact implementation, just how it generally works ('Mechs have an energy pool and weapons which have specific energy draw values draw energy from this pool).

This sounds good.

At 20% downloading...

#11 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

I was in a match earlier today (Mining Colony), when merrily piloting my Warhammer I spotted an enemy Orion IIC about 800m away move into view. First contact! So I line up for the shot and...cockpit shakes a bit, and the Onion steps back. Then I notice my goddamn right ST armour is gone. Evaporated. Structure underneath is exposed and yellow.

That Orion was the first enemy mech I encountered, and I saw them for maybe 2 and a half seconds. My Warhammer has the heaviest armour possible. One glance, boom. One and a half tons of armour blown clean through. I was only lucky it didn't have a lancemate next door to slice my side torso off.

Comparative skill and loadouts aside, that's not BattleTech. That's a twitch shooter with no regenerating health. Anything which increases TTK and makes running battles, brawling, and tanky, heavy, mech-like combat possible I'm all for trying right now, because watching AC Kodiak's rip opponents to shreds in seconds, or Ebon Jag's peek out from behind cover to laser vomit for huge damage before taking cover again, is starting to get old. Just hope this new mechanic works better than Ghost Heat.

Although I can't help but think how mech less faffing about just having cones of fire would have been by now. So many mechanics to try and manage the effects of being able to place shots with pixel precision. Posted Image

Edited by Rakshasa, 18 August 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#12 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

I believe it won't be as bad as what people expect.

A 30 point heat scale system is what alot of people been asking for but instead we're getting a energy pool of 30 points to work with then heat spikes higher past 30 points and the energy pool regens at a pace of 20 point per second, I think that's what the update said.

If it increases TTK then I'm all ears, snails and puppy dog tails.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

You know...after reading the notes (still downloading), it strikes me that they could streamline this whole thing by restricting heat cap to 30-40 points and upping dissipation rate (instead of lowering it) and still achieve identical results.

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 18 August 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

You know...after reading the notes (still downloading), it strikes me that they could streamline this whole thing by restricting heat cap to 30-40 points and upping dissipation rate (instead of lowering it) and still achieve identical results.

That would be too easy.

We can't have nice things.

#15 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

Been saying that for years, I believe that was also Konivigs Idea as well

#16 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Tactics and not just twitch shooting…

Sounds awesome!

#17 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

Can't wait to get home and try this out...

#18 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

View PostRakshasa, on 18 August 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

I was in a match earlier today (Mining Colony), when merrily piloting my Warhammer I spotted an enemy Orion IIC about 800m away move into view. First contact! So I line up for the shot and...cockpit shakes a bit, and the Onion steps back. Then I notice my goddamn right ST armour is gone. Evaporated. Structure underneath is exposed and yellow.

That Orion was the first enemy mech I encountered, and I saw them for maybe 2 and a half seconds. My Warhammer has the heaviest armour possible. One glance, boom. One and a half tons of armour blown clean through. I was only lucky it didn't have a lancemate next door to slice my side torso off.

Comparative skill and loadouts aside, that's not BattleTech. That's a twitch shooter with no regenerating health. Anything which increases TTK and makes running battles, brawling, and tanky, heavy, mech-like combat possible I'm all for trying right now, because watching AC Kodiak's rip opponents to shreds in seconds, or Ebon Jag's peek out from behind cover to laser vomit for huge damage before taking cover again, is starting to get old. Just hope this new mechanic works better than Ghost Heat.

Although I can't help but think how mech less faffing about just having cones of fire would have been by now. So many mechanics to try and manage the effects of being able to place shots with pixel precision. Posted Image

I'm sensing a lot of exaggeration in this post. What was the Onions loadout?

#19 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

The problem with a set heat scale is that it completely and totally restricts the player and that isn't something that PGI wants to do. This is why we never had hard point sizes or stock engine limits. It is the sole reason why every mech is either an omni mech or a pseudo omni mech. Therefore, putting in a hard cap on heat would mean that players would constantly shut down which would, in turn, cause the player base to rage, and thus drop player population numbers. Can't have a game without players.

#20 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 18 August 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

The problem with a set heat scale is that it completely and totally restricts the player and that isn't something that PGI wants to do. This is why we never had hard point sizes or stock engine limits. It is the sole reason why every mech is either an omni mech or a pseudo omni mech. Therefore, putting in a hard cap on heat would mean that players would constantly shut down which would, in turn, cause the player base to rage, and thus drop player population numbers. Can't have a game without players.

Well, we don't have stock engine limits but engine limits are based on stock engine sizes so it still sort of applies. A slow mech in TT is still a slow mech here for the most part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users