Gauss Charge Removal

130 replies to this topic

#1 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

Currently downloading the PTS client. I just wanted to start a thread to discuss the Gauss Rifle specifically in regards to the changes with the Energy Draw system.

I am very optimistic about having no-charge Gauss rifles again. I pretty much stopped using them when the mechanic was implemented simply because: I'm not very good at it.

Anyone have strong feelings about this, one way or the other, before having played with it? Of course, I will head back and update after I've gotten my grubby fingers on it.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

I liked that the charge-up made the Gauss stand out from the crowd of other generic MWO weapons. :\

#3 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

I would vote to leave the charging. It takes more skill, and it is the only weapon like that,

#4 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

That 6.71 sec cooldown though. 4.5 dps with dual Gauss, yeah.

#5 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

Personally, I hated the charge up mechanic. They've nerfed poptarting enough that it'll never be the powerhouse it once was, and i believe they should remove the charge-up for good. #MakeShadowcatPrimesGreatAgain

#6 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 18 August 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

Gauss aren't about DPS though - they're about getting a good burst of damage down at medium-long range. I'm more than happy to have a long cooldown with no charge-up personally.

#7 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

View PostExAstra, on 18 August 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Gauss aren't about DPS though - they're about getting a good burst of damage down at medium-long range. I'm more than happy to have a long cooldown with no charge-up personally.

No half-decent team will allow you to keep taking shots for long, they'll just push and you'll get wreked.

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

The charge was only there because of a lack of energy system (in the novels, you couldn't really even fire two of them at the same time), so we'll see if this new system can make up for that!

#9 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

yea that also the first point I'll talk about even before the test. It need to stay it make the weapon to versatile in all situation, with charge it make it more a long range weapon and also make peeking harder. PPC should have a 0.5s delay to get the same effect and focus them to longer range (and also get a rage buff)

#10 B E R S E R K

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 18 August 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

Personally, I hated the charge up mechanic. They've nerfed poptarting enough that it'll never be the powerhouse it once was, and i believe they should remove the charge-up for good. #MakeShadowcatPrimesGreatAgain

totally agree. charge up mechanic shot depends on luck more than skill. now days most players prefer lasers and lrms. It would be nice to see much more variety. hope one day machine guns and flamers would find a place.

#11 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 18 August 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

No half-decent team will allow you to keep taking shots for long, they'll just push and you'll get wreked.

"No half-decent team" is a good argument against pretty much any weapon system. But without the charge up mechanic - the cooldown is nearly the same as before with it included. So, by the same logic, no half-decent team would lose to mechs with Gauss rifles in the current build, yeah?

Keyword: nearly.

Edited by ExAstra, 18 August 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#12 Padre Balistique

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostStrelok7, on 18 August 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

I would vote to leave the charging. It takes more skill, and it is the only weapon like that,

Only if you remove gauss explosions for the 99% of the time they remain uncharged.

They only explode because the charged capacitors. If the capacitors aren't charged, then it shouldn't blow.

Edited by Padre Balistique, 18 August 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#13 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

You know what? I'd much rather have to have charge than see the recycle time nerfed so severely. Problems with charge in close range situations can be easily compensated by learning to aim. It's what, a 50% increase to cooldown they're planning to add? That's terrible. That's the worst thing that can happen to this weapon (aside from the range nerf which I guess I can kinda live with?). All in all I don't think the weapon needed the comprehensive rebalance PGI seems to want for it.

Also as FubDup said, charge is what differentiates it from an autocannon. It's a weapon that gives you a higher reward but requires more skill. Exactly the kind of tradeoff that makes MWO an interesting game. Sometimes simpler is not better (not that energy drain seems in any way simple).

#14 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

The Gauss charge up was an easy mechanic to get used to. Either way, the change will be nice again. I am interested in whipping out the Gauss + ER PPC Summoner and seeing how it fairs under the new system.

#15 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

the charge up mechanic was to prevent MWO from turning into a point and click adventure game.

all dual gauss all day long if this is implemented.

seriously, who in the right mind would NOT run dual gauss if the mech that can do it?

just pair it with low heat high DPS weapons and you're set.

dual gauss/SRMs
dual gauss/ SPL

#16 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 18 August 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

The charge was only there because of a lack of energy system (in the novels, you couldn't really even fire two of them at the same time), so we'll see if this new system can make up for that!

in a single novel (not really well written) that was the case. In any other novel there is not a single word about that.

#17 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 18 August 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

Intercharge it with cERPPCs or cLPLs and have back DPS with resonable heat.

#18 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 18 August 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

the charge up mechanic was to prevent MWO from turning into a point and click adventure game.

all dual gauss all day long if this is implemented.

seriously, who in the right mind would NOT run dual gauss if the mech that can do it?

just pair it with low heat high DPS weapons and you're set.

dual gauss/SRMs
dual gauss/ SPL

Except, if the power dray system stays, that won't be possible because you're using up all 30 with your dual goosewaffles. I'd love to know why you feel so personally angry at them. Where did the bad man touch you?

#19 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

Going to miss the Gauss charge-up.

I know people hated it because "IT'S NOT INTUUUIIITIIIVE ENUFF!!" or whatever, but as Fup said - it made the Gauss Rifle into a Gauss Rifle instead of a super-autocannon. The charge delay was also an ammo conservation mechanism for some pilots - you'd waste less ammo on bad shots if you had to charge for a bit instead of firing at every single bad twitchy snapshot you know you shouldn't take but do anyways because you're impatient. Even the feedback from the weapon was fun - the building thrum of the charge followed by the snap of firing made for a fun weapon to use.

Now it's just a super autocannon again, not really any different than using any other ballistic weapon. Very sad. Will miss.

#20 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

View Post1453 R, on 18 August 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

Going to miss the Gauss charge-up.

I know people hated it because "IT'S NOT INTUUUIIITIIIVE ENUFF!!" or whatever, but as Fup said - it made the Gauss Rifle into a Gauss Rifle instead of a super-autocannon. The charge delay was also an ammo conservation mechanism for some pilots - you'd waste less ammo on bad shots if you had to charge for a bit instead of firing at every single bad twitchy snapshot you know you shouldn't take but do anyways because you're impatient. Even the feedback from the weapon was fun - the building thrum of the charge followed by the snap of firing made for a fun weapon to use.

Now it's just a super autocannon again, not really any different than using any other ballistic weapon. Very sad. Will miss.

Well, PGI can be at least tried to be persuaded on the feedback that Gauss Rifles were better with charge and that 6.71 better be 6.21 + 0.50. Anyway, thats a feedback and all that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users