Gauss Charge Removal

130 replies to this topic

#121 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

In games with healers and tanks DPS is a great measuring stick.

In this game it is not even a tertiary factor, but it is still a factor.

The biggest thing is how safely can you deliver the maximum alpha (as configured by comp team builds) followed by how many of these can you put out. I think Draw may lower this if PGI and test players can identify the areas that still allow end runs on builds.

We are in a weird space because this is the first run on PTS and it is 4v4 with folks having to close for a brawl. We also do not know if TTK will be lowered enough to really justify looking at DPS as real balancing factor or a straw man "looks at me I can maths - PGI bad"

#122 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

I think we could solve almost all of the boating/alpha/poptart balance issues by just forcing everyone to use chain fire all the time.

#123 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

View PostCara Carcass, on 20 August 2016 - 06:12 AM, said:

******** - almost nobody uses a macro because that would make no ******* sense with the gauss.
Look i farmed over 600 Headshots with the gaussrifle in a bit less than 5800 games. I have yet to see anybody use a macro...... and i have watched a lot of ppl playing gauss.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Okay buddy. Makes no sense to have a single mouse button set to the exact timing for gauss charge up and then fire? PWEASE. As I stated in that which you quoted there are certainly going to be exceptions to the rule and I realize in the last year I've not played nearly as much as I did in the first couple years of the game but most everyone I know that were top dogs in the game (very well still are if they are still playing) immediately switched to using a macro because you got to be an idiot to claim it's not beneficial. I'm talking about people that I did theory crafting with before changes were even implemented in the game back before the end of beta up to a couple years after. You very well likely have watched quite a few guass players and guess what so has everyone else that has played the game for more than 10 matches, hell I've got shadowplay recordings I've not even looked at in years and whether or not the person wants to admit to using a macro (which if they don't has to be a purely narcissistic point of pride for them) I could attach a timer to their charge/firing and have it show that each time it's the exact same charge up to fire mms.

Again there is no reason to deny IF you do use. It is allowed. It makes sense if you have the slightest idea of how to make a macro/timed hotkey. I don't care if you do or not. As I posted I have myself but just am not a big fan of the gauss is all. Not saying I think it is a bad weapon just not one I particularly care for and for the reasons I posted that again you quoted. So NO ONE cares if you do or don't. If you don't and you are good with it then great. If you don't and you are only mediocre (again as I posted before) then it doesn't make any sense for you not to up your game and start using one. If you don't and you are bad with a gauss then all the more reason to start using one.

Macros are common in this game and with multiple weapon platforms. If you are unaware of that well then all I can say is:

WELCOME TO MWO

#124 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:45 AM

Just throwing my genuine concern out on this so I can say I voted...again.

Keep the gauss charge, I like it, it is not hard to use, and makes for a tad bit of variety. MWO really does need some more weapon mechanics/variety added to it btw.

Also this change I would propose with or without the PTS going on but change the explosion values to something like 50% for IS and 65-70% for clans. Why? That way there is still some offset of tonnage and performance like PGI is going for PLUS the player has a chance to actually experience some variation in outcomes. Like, "Hey! my entire left side didn't blow off this time. Yay!"

See stuff like that, it may actually be a somewhat fun experience....you never know.

#125 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostBellum Dominum, on 23 August 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Okay buddy. Makes no sense to have a single mouse button set to the exact timing for gauss charge up and then fire? PWEASE. As I stated in that which you quoted there are certainly going to be exceptions to the rule and I realize in the last year I've not played nearly as much as I did in the first couple years of the game but most everyone I know that were top dogs in the game (very well still are if they are still playing) immediately switched to using a macro because you got to be an idiot to claim it's not beneficial. I'm talking about people that I did theory crafting with before changes were even implemented in the game back before the end of beta up to a couple years after. You very well likely have watched quite a few guass players and guess what so has everyone else that has played the game for more than 10 matches, hell I've got shadowplay recordings I've not even looked at in years and whether or not the person wants to admit to using a macro (which if they don't has to be a purely narcissistic point of pride for them) I could attach a timer to their charge/firing and have it show that each time it's the exact same charge up to fire mms.

Again there is no reason to deny IF you do use. It is allowed. It makes sense if you have the slightest idea of how to make a macro/timed hotkey. I don't care if you do or not. As I posted I have myself but just am not a big fan of the gauss is all. Not saying I think it is a bad weapon just not one I particularly care for and for the reasons I posted that again you quoted. So NO ONE cares if you do or don't. If you don't and you are good with it then great. If you don't and you are only mediocre (again as I posted before) then it doesn't make any sense for you not to up your game and start using one. If you don't and you are bad with a gauss then all the more reason to start using one.

Macros are common in this game and with multiple weapon platforms. If you are unaware of that well then all I can say is:

WELCOME TO MWO

I can give you over 400 videos of me pulling headshots and you will see the charge up.
You are talking out of your *** here....
Sure there are people who use macros for ACs. But for Gauss with the limited ammo i find it better not to use macros because u will shoot your won teammates 3-4 times in a match and you will lose your ammo to FF. Thats pertty much the standpoint of every good Gauss player.
And btw - good luck with shooting lights when you cannot controll the release time once triggered with a macro.....

Edited by Cara Carcass, 24 August 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#126 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostCara Carcass, on 24 August 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

I can give you over 400 videos of me pulling headshots and you will see the charge up.
You are talking out of your *** here....
Sure there are people who use macros for ACs. But for Gauss with the limited ammo i find it better not to use macros because u will shoot your won teammates 3-4 times in a match and you will lose your ammo to FF. Thats pertty much the standpoint of every good Gauss player.
And btw - good luck with shooting lights when you cannot controll the release time once triggered with a macro.....

Talking out my ***... sorry again but nope not in the least again if those videos are not with the camera positioned behind your chair they prove nothing in regards to if you use a macro or not. Psst (pro-tip warning) you can make a macro so that you can interrupt it and it won't fire for those times your teammate walks in front of you .

Shot lights just fine before the gauss change...and shot them fine with the macro after the change... well as fine as anyone could with the hit reg problems back then.

AC's are the most common use for macro's certainly. I've also used them on my maddog with 6xlrm5 to fire two packs of 15 lrms at a time. Actually just did it as a silliness and turned out it worked almost too well. Haven't played that mech much in the last year and I changed my peripherals so haven't bothered to setup that macro again but it's not any big deal to do so.

Again I congratulate you for being good with gauss without a macro and again no one cares if you use one or not. My post wasn't for those like you who are in no need of help with the gauss. I thought that was obvious by my addressing your type in the body of the original post this conversation has carried on about. Really if they finally do away with the needless mechanic that never addressed what it was implanted for anyways then a macro for a gauss would truly be useless... unless maybe using 4 gauss at once and setting it up to fire the first two and then the second two but... how many mechs can run that build and still have much in the way of other weapons to not just make two weapon groups out of the 4 gauss?

Edited by Bellum Dominum, 27 August 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#127 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

I am surprised that PGI is forgiving to those who use macros. Gauss works great without any, and MWO should keep the charge mechanic as it is advanced and fresh and feels like quality-of-life improvement.

Edited by Lunatic_Asylum, 28 August 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#128 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

I liked the charge up mechanic as it made the weapon unique.
I would go as far as saying that it would also be a fitting mechanic for the PPC.

#129 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostLunatic_Asylum, on 28 August 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

I am surprised that PGI is forgiving to those who use macros. Gauss works great without any, and MWO should keep the charge mechanic as it is advanced and fresh and feels like quality-of-life improvement.

So long as we are talking actual macros and not small scripts that the user is simply calling a macro (fine line between the two yes) then all allowing macros by pgi does is keep them from having to code additional fire control options into the game. Even with that said I too was surprised when I first found out they were allowed as so many tend to want to exploit such an option and start running scripts and cry 'It's just a macro'. (Short definition of the difference: Both macro and script are programs that execute a certain number of commands. If the program does any calculation on it's own beyond a random variable delay between those commands then it is a script.)

#130 Star Dust

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Easy decision; bring a weapon that risks blowing up half my mech with awful DPS post changes, or replace it with an autocannon?

RIP Gauss.

#131 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostBellum Dominum, on 27 August 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

Talking out my ***... sorry again but nope not in the least again if those videos are not with the camera positioned behind your chair they prove nothing in regards to if you use a macro or not. Psst (pro-tip warning) you can make a macro so that you can interrupt it and it won't fire for those times your teammate walks in front of you .

Shot lights just fine before the gauss change...and shot them fine with the macro after the change... well as fine as anyone could with the hit reg problems back then.

AC's are the most common use for macro's certainly. I've also used them on my maddog with 6xlrm5 to fire two packs of 15 lrms at a time. Actually just did it as a silliness and turned out it worked almost too well. Haven't played that mech much in the last year and I changed my peripherals so haven't bothered to setup that macro again but it's not any big deal to do so.

Again I congratulate you for being good with gauss without a macro and again no one cares if you use one or not. My post wasn't for those like you who are in no need of help with the gauss. I thought that was obvious by my addressing your type in the body of the original post this conversation has carried on about. Really if they finally do away with the needless mechanic that never addressed what it was implanted for anyways then a macro for a gauss would truly be useless... unless maybe using 4 gauss at once and setting it up to fire the first two and then the second two but... how many mechs can run that build and still have much in the way of other weapons to not just make two weapon groups out of the 4 gauss?

You can see the charge going up and beeign released at different times after the chargeing started......
If you cannot understant this, i cannot help you anymore....
Nobody has 30 macros for every timeframe needed.

Edited by Cara Carcass, 02 September 2016 - 02:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users