Heat Generation Questions

7 replies to this topic

#1 Deltree Zero

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

Is heat only generated by going over max energy draw threshold?

Is it true that the first 30 pts of damage you deal are free of heat generation?

How will energy draw affect torso twisting?

Does this system increase the potential of XL death due to increased facetime?

#2 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostDeltree Zero, on 18 August 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Is heat only generated by going over max energy draw threshold?

Is it true that the first 30 pts of damage you deal are free of heat generation?

How will energy draw affect torso twisting?

Does this system increase the potential of XL death due to increased facetime?

No, heat generation is left as is (e.g. single LPL shot still generates 7 heat). Ghost Heat is removed though.

#3 Deltree Zero

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

Thank you.

I now realize my third and fourth questions were unrelated to heat generation specifically. lol

#4 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

"energy draw" is really misleading unless you're familiar with how electronic resistors work.
This system is literally a replacement for ghost heat called "Alpha heat".

Instead of being penalized for shooting the same weapon type multiple times at once, now you're penalized for shooting 30+ damage within a 1-1.5 second period.

Also coupled with a global nerf and a few un-nerfs. Which makes it hard to test and compare because there's no control group. Thanks PGI.

At least there's a UI element for it now instead of it being a mysterious background effect. The meter spazzes out so fast though that it's hard to pay attention to.

Edited by Tibbnak, 18 August 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#5 Chiun44

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

Agreed on the odd naming. I wouldn't expect stuff like AC-5/10/20, LB-XX, UACs to have much of an 'energy draw' (they are firing via an chemical reaction round, so they should be pretty low on heat generation, but they WEIGH a lot, which is the play balance). I'm interested in seeing how the metrics shake out on dakka builds. I was betting they end up a bit stronger, but that was me actually thinking it was really energy draw :)

As others have referenced, it's really an alpha management heat system. Pushes towards DPS and penalizes anything over 30ish pts alpha (ish because of stuff like LRMs/SRMs, etc having different multipliers).

I'm hoping the numbers get tweaked some. Change the ratio of pinpoint energy vs. autocannons/gauss vs missiles to be reflective of DPS/HPS/damage per ton (including reasonable ammunition).

It sure seems like a true energy draw system (similar to energy allocation in Star Fleet Battles) would have a major effect from engine size and actual movement speed. Moving slow or not at all would give you more energy to fire weapons. The math totally falls apart though, with exactly zero basis with the universal constants we live with.

#6 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostChiun44, on 18 August 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

Agreed on the odd naming. I wouldn't expect stuff like AC-5/10/20, LB-XX, UACs to have much of an 'energy draw' (they are firing via an chemical reaction round, so they should be pretty low on heat generation, but they WEIGH a lot, which is the play balance). I'm interested in seeing how the metrics shake out on dakka builds. I was betting they end up a bit stronger, but that was me actually thinking it was really energy draw Posted Image

Ammo feeders do eat energy (and those barrels are not always rotated by gases but by electric motor, look op Vulcan). Why it eats that much - no one knows, maybe it's just those seconds to get ammo from Kodiak lower feet all the way up to its shoulde mounts. :)
Anyway, some dakka build got struck heavily. 6xcUAC/5 DWF is no longer heat neutral. Really. Does not work. 2xcUAC/5+2xcUAC/10 (plus cERPPC to fill in blanks as the heat is low) is stil working. But with 4vs4 there is not much comparision on how strong the build is since there are less situations when you have to fend of multiple opponents. And versus single oponent... KDK is something to consider. AS7 can be ignored. But I'm not that good at that, ask T1 ForumWarriors on their tests.

#7 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 18 August 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Ammo feeders do eat energy (and those barrels are not always rotated by gases but by electric motor, look op Vulcan). Why it eats that much - no one knows, maybe it's just those seconds to get ammo from Kodiak lower feet all the way up to its shoulde mounts. :)

Everybody knows quantum teleportation ammo feeds take a lot of energy.

#8 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostDracol, on 18 August 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

Everybody knows quantum teleportation ammo feeds take a lot of energy.

Yikes, hope no flys fly around those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users