Jump Jets Need Energy Draw

9 replies to this topic

#1 EvAbsence

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

I very firmly believe that jump jets need to draw energy from the pool, based on the number of jets equipped. This could be done as a static energy draw (such as eliminating some amount of energy from your pool as long as you have the JJs depressed) or as an initial cost per use (encouraging the use of JJs as a map movement benefit and less as an evasion boost). I'm inclined to say the latter, as it would prevent abuse with JJ 'fluttering' in high ping situations.

It is easy to look at our current mech lineup, and even at the methidoligy used by PGI though the years when applying quirks to see that Jump Jets have added to the suitability of a mech when in combat by adding the vertical evasion/aiming element back to the game. This is then offset by extra structure, armor, or flat mobility quirks to those mechs that cannot equip them.

If mechs with JJs also had to limit their ability to do damage in the air due to reduced energy while in flight, it could even the playing field without the use of quirks. It would also discourage the inevitable return of poptarting with Guass/ERPPCS, as the energy incurred by popping a loaded shot would have to be added to the energy draw. The likelihood of this returning will be further encouraged by the slower rate of battle - you don't need to worry about being face-rushed as much as you used to.

This is coming from founder that uses both jumpie mechs and non-jumpie mechs. Between the Black Knight and the Thunderbolt, it is still the Thunderbolt I take to FW because I consistently survive longer and do higher damage when I have the ability to pop over a hill for a quick shot, aided by my jump jets.

Please please please PGI, read this.

#2 EvAbsence

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

That all said, I love where you guys are going in general with this system. It just needs to have some additional thought toward reduction of poptarting.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

Only if they kill HoverJets™

They're barely worth taking more than 1 on most robots, where guns prove better.
If you nerf them harder, I'm not gonna take more than 1, period.

#4 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 August 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Only if they kill HoverJets™

They're barely worth taking more than 1 on most robots, where guns prove better.
If you nerf them harder, I'm not gonna take more than 1, period.

If said system suddenly will require at least two (or three) to just hover the mech, you still would equip no more than one?

#5 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

I agree. With the way current jump jets work and feel, they're not fun, and there's very little reason to load up on them. Does anyone have all 7 jump jets on their Griffin?

No?

Make jump jets more powerful, but then tie them in to energy draw. You can keep weapon shake, too, for all I care. Just make them actually lift my mech.

#6 EvAbsence

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

The scary part is it doesn't take much elevation to get a shot at the right range. Case in point, here is an completely unleveled Dire able to do 3x55 point alphas before it has to take a break.

https://youtu.be/j6eyXdQmZxQ

#7 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostEvAbsence, on 18 August 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

The scary part is it doesn't take much elevation to get a shot at the right range. Case in point, here is an completely unleveled Dire able to do 3x55 point alphas before it has to take a break.

Try this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f508de3097e436 ;)

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

And when you're Hovering so slowly, you'll take equal if not greater (due to multiple shooters, no cover) return fire.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,249 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

They most certainly do not!

#10 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

This could work if they greatly increase the JJ thrust at the same time.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 18 August 2016 - 08:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users