Power Draw Is Fine - But Gauss Charge Needs To Be Put Back.

55 replies to this topic

#21 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

Personally, I'd have gauss fires as soon as is charged, no need to release. Also, if a gauss is charged for a percentage of the total charge time, it takes that same length of time to discharge before it can be charged again.

(ie: if gauss charge is 0.5s, but a player charges for 0.4s, then releases charge, it takes 0.4s to cycle the weapon and allow it to begin charging again. This is to prevent charge-mitigation-macros)

#22 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostKuaron, on 18 August 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

Anyone else here disgusted by all the "skill" elitism in the recent Gauss threads?

IDK, if you're so disgusted, why not try CoD? Its very simple to play, just like the new gauss rifle.

Edited by KBurn85, 18 August 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#23 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 August 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

Nah. Gauss charge-up is not something to learn as a skill. Gauss Rifles are just mech rifles, they were never powerful enough to use as a Sniper Rifle unless you paired two together, but then they weighed too much and only a select group of mechs can carry two which left all the other mechs with no Gauss Rifle and no Sniper Rifle. That's not balanced. It ruined the Gauss for most mechs. The Highlander, Victor, Marauder, Mad Cat, Thor, Nova, Shadow Cat, and, you get it, most of the mechs in Battle Tech suddenly get the Gauss Rifle restored to their load-outs. No, this is the way it has to be.

No Charge-up, balance in some other way if needed.

Not sure how a charge mechanic made it so those listed mechs all of a sudden couldn't use Gauss and now can all of a sudden use Gauss again. My wife who plays ~8 hours/week was reliably using the Gauss rifle on her second day of playing (granted she's probably a much better player than you are). It wasn't a hard mechanic to learn, and it made the weapon unique apart from the other ballistics.

Anyone else here disgusted by all the "skill" elitism in the recent Gauss threads?

It wasn't even a hard skill to learn, just muscle memory from repetition of charge + let go. The hardest part to get over is the mental block of "if I don't have a good shot I can save the ammo" leading to people holding charge way too long to line up that perfect shot. Once you got over that it's ok to miss the shot/use that ammo, the charge-up mechanic flowed.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 18 August 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#24 Friend Fox

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

It isn't even a hard mechanic and it added much needed novelty to one of the weapons. Taking it out just further flattens the already monotone array of weapons.

If you think there is skill elitism here on something this small, do yourself a favor and never venture near any competitive games like DotA or CS.

#25 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:11 PM

I rather enjoyed the synced 2600M/s 34 PP FLD
It gave AC2s a reason to exist, and made faces very juicy out to 600M

Though...it probably shouldn't stay, as much as I'd like to get another increase in headshots, 30 PP FLD instantly applied at over 2KM/s? With a snap shot?
The Awesome could have that, but not the Kodiak.

#26 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

@ Vxheous & Higlander:
It was more about all the "skill" and "l2p" attitude the very same person was spreading in every single Gauss thread simultaneously, supposing that everyone of a different opinion is just too bad at managing to press and release a button in time.

So to be more constructive:
Yes, you are of course right, it wasn't that difficult to use taken the Gauss alone. The problem is combining it with different weapons. Best thing you can do atm is to play dual Gauss so the concentration needed to place the shots pays itself off in 30 dmg pinpoint. Without additional weapons on a Jager or with a pair of ERLL or ERPPCs (to use up the spare heat capacity) on an assault and you have a great long range sniper. When KBurn is speaking about Gauss vomit in competitive meta, this is what is meant.
But what you better do not with the current Gauss mechanic is combining it with more than one (type of) easy-to-use weapon.
You cannot throw one Gauss in your maybe otherwise too hot mixed build, because you have to commit to managing to use the Gauss Rifle or not use it at all. Well, you can, but the performance will probably suffer and you'd be better off with other options. Now, mixed builds are not very "meta" anyway, so we should try not to discourage them even more. Most of what calls itself meta is hilariously simple to use, btw.

Edited by Kuaron, 18 August 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#27 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:25 PM

View PostKuaron, on 18 August 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

The problem is combining it with different weapons....Most of what calls itself meta is hilariously simple to use, btw.

Everyone that plays single gauss use it with mixed weapons. Most of the time, they'll charge while firing their mixed weapons, then release near the end. There's even a whole writeup about it, under "L2P MWO"

http://metamechs.com...-2-gauss-vomit/

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 19 August 2016 - 07:05 AM.
insult

#28 The Big Dan Theory

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUberlândia, MG, Brazil

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:26 PM

Gauss got better in comparison with the other weapons. Come ride with me on the beautiful build thinker road:

Nowadays: Gauss charge is not modified by modules. So you have 12% cooldown (module lvl 5) applied to a 5s cooldown period plus the 0.75s charge time. Time between shots: 4.85s with the cooldown module.

Energy Draw PTS: Every weapon had its cooldown time increased and the module got capped to 5%. Since gauss cooldown is 6.71s now with NO CHARGE PERIOD... Time between shots: 5.5s with the cooldown module.

The time between 2 shots has been increased in 0.65s (+13.4%).

[Stick with me, bravest mechwarriors, we're getting there...]

All the other weapons had their cooldown increased in 15%. FEEEFTEEEEYYYN PEEEHHHRCENT ERMARGHERD.

Take a large pulse laser, as an example: It went from 3.25s to 3.74s! With the adjustment on the modules that change went from 2.86s to 3.55s! That means an increasing of 24% on the time between shots!!!!!

So, guys from PGI been like... "Hm yea, we gonna limit the ammount of gauss u can run, kiddo! But hey, people will fire their lasers in slow motion, so no worries, u still OP"

Edited by The Big Dan Theory, 18 August 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#29 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:51 PM

@ KBurn:
"I don't like you and therefore don't want you in my garden, go play somewhere else."
Just listen to you.

The article you are linking I read eventually. But if you read my post, you surely know that I was speaking about mixing Gauss with more than one other weapon.

#30 pandemic52

Rookie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

View Postzeves, on 18 August 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

please, all gauss users have macros, although timing was involved it was faar from a heavy skill weapon. as the ppc should be but has been nerfed a long time ago to obscurity.
on a side note: RIP QUAD GAUSS DIRE, i will miss your shenanigans.
No logic behind this nerf at all, as it was a fair tradeoff, and by their own system would actually shut down the direwolf, or maby 3 gauss build would be to OP.

I have many builds with gauss rifles and have never used a macro. I like the charge time as it gives you that little bit of time to move and fine tune the shot before you fire.

#31 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:18 AM

gauss rifle without charge is the final nail in the coffin of light mechs... realy guys being able to snap shot 30 PPFLD with 2000m/s speed is giving a delete button for lights to anny one who can aim..

#32 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:28 AM

I like the gauss charge. Made the weapon interesting and different. It also meant you could conserve ammo should you decide to hold fire.

#33 Arguss10

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationPerth , Western Australia

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

You forget that this Gauss Rifle is a 31st Century weapon, it is not a Civil War rifle where you have to prime it every time. Seriously, no Army today would use a weapon with charge up, so why would they use such a weapon in the future. Gauss,should be like every other weapon in this game .

#34 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:15 AM

View PostHighlander IIC, on 18 August 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

It isn't even a hard mechanic and it added much needed novelty to one of the weapons. Taking it out just further flattens the already monotone array of weapons.

If you think there is skill elitism here on something this small, do yourself a favor and never venture near any competitive games like DotA or CS.

Frankly a weapon mechanic pales into insignificant, compared to the one dimensional play caused by playing the same four or five maps where only multipliers stop every game from being skirmish

#35 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:25 AM

View Postzeves, on 18 August 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

please, all gauss users have macros, although timing was involved it was faar from a heavy skill weapon. as the ppc should be but has been nerfed a long time ago to obscurity.
on a side note: RIP QUAD GAUSS DIRE, i will miss your shenanigans.
No logic behind this nerf at all, as it was a fair tradeoff, and by their own system would actually shut down the direwolf, or maby 3 gauss build would be to OP.

No **** that. I play gauss a lot because its rewarding to plan a shot and see it happeing afterwards. The removeal of the load machanic takes that away. I have not seen anybody with a macro playing gauss at all in my last 10k matches.

#36 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:34 AM

View PostThe Big Dan Theory, on 18 August 2016 - 10:26 PM, said:

Gauss got better in comparison with the other weapons. Come ride with me on the beautiful build thinker road:

Nowadays: Gauss charge is not modified by modules. So you have 12% cooldown (module lvl 5) applied to a 5s cooldown period plus the 0.75s charge time. Time between shots: 4.85s with the cooldown module.

Energy Draw PTS: Every weapon had its cooldown time increased and the module got capped to 5%. Since gauss cooldown is 6.71s now with NO CHARGE PERIOD... Time between shots: 5.5s with the cooldown module.

The time between 2 shots has been increased in 0.65s (+13.4%).

[Stick with me, bravest mechwarriors, we're getting there...]

All the other weapons had their cooldown increased in 15%. FEEEFTEEEEYYYN PEEEHHHRCENT ERMARGHERD.

Take a large pulse laser, as an example: It went from 3.25s to 3.74s! With the adjustment on the modules that change went from 2.86s to 3.55s! That means an increasing of 24% on the time between shots!!!!!

So, guys from PGI been like... "Hm yea, we gonna limit the ammount of gauss u can run, kiddo! But hey, people will fire their lasers in slow motion, so no worries, u still OP"

The Cooldown modules got nerfed to 5% on PTS - you have to recalculate your numbers.

#37 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

with the recharge time i dont see anything wrong with the gauss love it ...

#38 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Charge mechanic was the most unimaginative band aid fix to the guass rather than balancing it properly.

The charge mechanic should go, and instead balanced by it's recycle. It's changed recycle is ok it could be a fraction higher and still be fine.
Yes it will; be point and click, but it's hardly spammable (unlike AC's) with that reload time so both fill different voids.

#39 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

I am not sure how the new heat system affects the gameplay (I hope that the 'Mechs will overheat as fast as they do now), but the Gauss change is atrocious. Please do not remove the fun and challenging mechanic! More than 2 Gauss builds are fine too if you fire only two at once.

#40 XxEDGExX

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 26 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

To be fair learning the charge was ok but if I'm honest the twitch 1000 range shots required more skill after a jump jet burst against another skilled player than learning the gauss fire mechanic.

majority of the players adjusts to each meta change in this game (this is where the skill element is), the way forward for any platform on this game to attract all kinds of fan base is potentially to have more then 1 mode type selectable (not game type).

1 more casual mode that caters to the battletech fan base that this game has been thriving on and 1 more competitive style that will get the twitch streams maxed out along with an influx of more players / cash for PGI thus increasing income and development.

to be fair with a little more work on community warfare and making it a bit more viable and this right here is every battletech fans dream, where potentially the private lobby system would have this selectable mode I was talking about above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users