General Pts Comment

No replies to this topic

#1 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

For the tournament client Krist was working on a patcher that would check the system for the latest install, copy unchanged files from it to the tournament directory then download the needed files.

This would be great to have for the std and pts clients to reduce download size/time

http://mwomercs.com/...t/page__st__140

View PostKrist Smith, on 02 June 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

I should point out again that manually copying the files from the main MWO game is no longer necessary. The repair tool will harvest any files it needs from any other MWO installs that it finds (as long as the file in question is actually the proper file and doesn't mismatch).

So, to summarize Crispy Chicken's setup with the recent simplifications:
1) Start the portal and install Tournament
2) After the installer popups are done, once the portal starts downloading the install base, shut it down
3) Restart the portal, but instead of patching, right-click the Tournament icon and run the repair tool
4) Scan and fix
5) Close and re-open the portal, and start the game

I'm working on simplifying this further, to remove a lot of the close/reopen step, and also work this into the initial install process so you don't need to bother with the repair tool at all.

Hopefully this is moot at this point and everyone in the Tournament has already installed the client, but if not, this should cut down the install time by quite a bit.

View PostKrist Smith, on 03 June 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

The portal will be the main....um....portal.....for all the releases once it's ready for such a purpose. I'm just trying to take care of a couple of final issues and edge cases before it's ready for that, but it should only be another week (or perhaps less) before I can start adding in the other releases.

There will be a point of no return, and that's the main difference between Tournament and all the other releases - there's no way for anyone to have already installed Tournament prior to the Portal, since that was the only way to install the game. So that means it was way simpler to release exclusively for the Tournament build. However, with the main MWO release and PTS, it's possible for those to have already been installed, and there are several things that need to be addressed in order for the Portal to take control of them. Firstly, since the old patcher is no longer needed, the repair tool will remove it when consolidating. And that brings with it the need to remove/update desktop and start menu shortcuts and such. Also, the game is now (finally) installed per-machine, whereas old releases were per-user, so some registry keys need to be adjusted. There's more, of course, but I'm hoping to get the Portal handing all of these cases asap. And when I do, then I'll add in the other builds and release the "final" version for everyone.

So, the main point here is that the latest changes to the repair tool make it incompatible with the current setups for MWO (main) and PTS. Once the Portal is finished (at least enough to add in the other releases), the repair tool will work for everything with one major exception - Steam. Steam is Steam, it handles things all on its own. It has its own repair process (validation) and doesn't interact well with our MWO Repair Tool. So, unfortunately, none of these latest changes apply to Steam installs. In order for it to do that, there's a lot of technical issues to take care of on both the Repair Tool side and the Steam side. So, at best, that's something that might happen further down the road.

Edited by Groutknoll, 18 August 2016 - 08:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users