So Now That We Have Seen 5-6 Lpl Alphas On The Pts..

91 replies to this topic

#1 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

NOW do you believe me when I say stacking MLs on top of LPLs isn't actually a workaround, its just an adaptation to salvage more alpha power at closer range?

#2 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

I don't know what you are talking about. But since I am not on pts I have no idea.

Can you elaborate?

Edited by roboPrancer, 19 August 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostroboPrancer, on 19 August 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. But since I am not on pts I have no idea.

Can you elaborate?

TL;DR: Many of the builds previously targeted by Ghost Heat are given much lower penalties under the PTS Ghost Power system.

#4 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostFupDup, on 19 August 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

TL;DR: Many of the builds previously targeted by Ghost Heat are given much lower penalties under the PTS Ghost Power system.

that just sounds like the new system is literally.... failing in what it is supposed to do? ...

#5 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostFupDup, on 19 August 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

yea i got a sense of that too. I have been getting a mixed reaction from my matches. At times i have sweet matches and the high energy builds arent so scary. Other times it feels as it going over the maximum energy doesn't affect mechs at all, or the penalty is not high enough.

The framework is solid I think

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostAlienized, on 19 August 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

that just sounds like the new system is literally.... failing in what it is supposed to do? ...

Fortunately, that part is very simple to fix. PGI needs to increase the heat penalty ratio per damage exceeding 30.

#7 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 August 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

Fortunately, that part is very simple to fix. PGI needs to increase the heat penalty ratio per damage exceeding 30.

theres plenty to stuff which should be easy to fix.... and it didnt happen yet.
until then... i remember...

namaste.

Edited by Alienized, 19 August 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, that's the impression I got. At least for the IS builds I run. I haven't tried Clans yet.

#9 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

Yeah increase the penalty for going over the limit

Oh wait, that will completely **** over low-heat ballistic builds...

Hmm, it's almost like having the exact same system for both energy and ballistic weapons is a stupid idea

#10 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, I agree with the system look solid, but I haven't gotten on to test it yet. My main takeway is that it should be able to change these values if something gets too powerful, like they did with the ghost heat for UAC10s.

Edited by Snowbluff, 19 August 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#11 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Gas, just let it happen.

There will be blood on the forums, just get your straw ready so we can drink their milkshakes.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostSnowbluff, on 19 August 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Yeah, I agree with the system look solid, but I haven't gotten on to test it yet. My main takeway is that it should be able to change these values if something gets too powerful, like they did with the ghost heat for UAC10s.

According to the news page, Ghost Power does have the ability to edit the energy rating per weapon using the Weapons.XML document. McGral verified this himself.

Now we just have to wait for PGI to deviate from their 1:1 ratio...

View PostUltimax, on 19 August 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

There will be blood on the forums, just get your straw ready so we can drink their milkshakes.

Does it bring the boys to the yard?

#13 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

I'm not so sure about that. This system seems to have flip flopped some builds as it is so I'm no so sure it would be that simple to "fix" it. I have a feeling in order to stomp on some of these outlier builds we will end up with overly harsh penalties for builds that don't really deserve or need it.

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostAlienized, on 19 August 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

yes but the current system can easily be adjusted, they currently have a low heat penalty, if they make it from a 0.5 heat per excess damage to like 3 people will avoid the hell of alphas.

They just started careful with the system and chosen values..

Edited by Lily from animove, 19 August 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#15 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostAlienized, on 19 August 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

theres plenty to stuff which should be easy to fix.... and it didnt happen yet.
until then... i remember...

namaste.

their is a reason why its being tested

#16 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

dunno.... my victor has to alpha to be even closely useful. 1 ac20 and 2 srm6+ artemis + 2 med lasers is what it has, thats an overall whooping 55 alpha at only 270m while the ac20 has a optimal range of 364 with mods and current quirks on the 9S.
should it get the same punishment as a full laserboat that has a far wider range?

i dont know... the victor needs such alphas and not another nerf. it already is a punishment to drive most of time and more of a work than simple fun. same stuff goes for the highlander most of times except for the stuped gauss/3 llas (or er llas or lpl) loadouts.

PGI needs to be very careful with a simple damage cap trigger to not kill hybrid-brawl mechs completely. they are already too hard to use.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 August 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

yes but the current system can easily be adjusted, they currently have a low heat penalty, if they make it from a 0.5 heat per excess damage to like 3 people will avoid the hell of alphas.

They just started careful with the system and chosen values..

And we will have EVEN LESS variety.

So shortsighted it isn't even funny.

#18 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 19 August 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

their is a reason why its being tested

there have been tests in the past, proven stuff to be totally bad to implement and it still happened.
there is a reason why so many people are not trusting such tests.

#19 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostAlienized, on 19 August 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

there have been tests in the past, proven stuff to be totally bad to implement and it still happened.
there is a reason why so many people are not trusting such tests.

The only people not trusting such test are people like yourself.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostAlienized, on 19 August 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

dunno.... my victor has to alpha to be even closely useful. 1 ac20 and 2 srm6+ artemis + 2 med lasers is what it has, thats an overall whooping 55 alpha at only 270m while the ac20 has a optimal range of 364 with mods and current quirks on the 9S.
should it get the same punishment as a full laserboat that has a far wider range?

i dont know... the victor needs such alphas and not another nerf. it already is a punishment to drive most of time and more of a work than simple fun. same stuff goes for the highlander most of times except for the stuped gauss/3 llas (or er llas or lpl) loadouts.

PGI needs to be very careful with a simple damage cap trigger to not kill hybrid-brawl mechs completely. they are already too hard to use.

If the Victor had 3 full size missile hardpoints (6 tubes), it would be a killer fast brawler with AC20 and 3 SRM6 w/art. Add some structure quirks and in the live servers now, it would be incredibly fun and a great brawler.

Range and weapon mechanics need to be taken into account. Yeah SRMs shouldn't take as much energy as lasers, but lasers shouldn't take as much energy as PPFLD (PPC/Gauss/ACs) because they are DoT. Needs a lot of tweaks to get to a good point of balance, variety and fun. It would actually be easier and more direct to keep what we have now and keep tweaking balance.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 19 August 2016 - 09:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users