PVE AI roleplay

16 replies to this topic

#1 Haven Kendrick

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

I'll apologize for the long post in advance, but this is something I have thought about for a long time.

I've been playing the Mechwarrior games since Mechwarrior 2 and have been a huge fan of Battletech ever since I was little. Mechwarrior Online is fun and all, not to mention aesthetically pleasing, but it doesn't entirely feel like a "Mechwarrior" game.

I know it's PVP based and I feel like that should still be the main focus, but one of the things I miss the most about playing Mechwarrior was the feeling of striding into a war zone feeling like a monstrous badass, marching against tanks, helicopters, etc. Enemies that stood no chance against me unless they came in massive numbers. It felt AWESOME to pulverize enemy after enemy like the war machine you are. While PVP is fun, it's an even playing field so that badass roleplay feel is kind of lost.

I always thought that cooperative AI combat would be an incredible idea, attacking forts, surviving waves of increased difficulty, some more objective-driven gameplay with voice acting.

Think of dropping in a team of 2-5 mechs with an objective to either destroy the heavily guarded base, raid a well-defended convoy before it escapes, defend and objective for a certain amount of time, or simply survive waves of enemies for as long as possible. A wide-array of custom missions with plots of their own. That would be so much fun! Suddenly you feel badass playing the old Mechwarrior games again.

To prevent this from hindering necessary PVP, perhaps it could be integrated into CW somehow in side-matches that could benefit a unit or faction, but not directly affect planet capture. Maybe a rebellion needs to be quelled, enemy spies have been discovered, or pirates need to be fended off. Many many possibilities for this.

Even if some of these matches involve fighting enemy factions, perhaps the rewards, rather than enemy territory, could be credit, gxp, or loyalty boosters you can use during Invasion matches, along with some credits and/or loyalty for completing the AI match.

I really miss the RP aspect in Mechwarrior games, and the game feeling like actual "war" rather than arena PVP. I think a well integrated system of player vs AI combat could be extremely beneficial to the game, as well as very pleasing to old Mechwarrior fans.

#2 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

Expanding on this, you could have a gamemode or 2 with a couple tank squads with like, 5 tanks a squad, and 3 squads that move in preset lines, and those tanks could have something like a machine gun and srm 4 or a couple small lasers. Maybe take some of the less op tanks from the lore. Those tanks would be moving areas of denial, and would add another layer to the game. And maybe they could be part of cw. Invaders have tanks lined up outside the city walls in dug in positions, and defenders have turrets in strategic areas. And as your team takes different parts of a map, the tanks could move up. Idk, but haveing tanks and turrets and using them as landscape that does damage makes you cautious, and 2-3 mechs or 1 assault being able to just demolish them adds the bada** factor.

Edited by naterist, 05 September 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#3 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I would love a cooperative mode. My friends would appreciate it as well.

Maybe a defense mode where you have to hold out against AI on a timer would be easy to implement, and fun.

#4 BoostMobile

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:24 PM

Fantastic idea! Maybe even make it like it's 5 v1 for pvp, and 1 player gets to be the mech, the rest are in tanks or copters, or on the ground with rocket launchers, or whatever, and the 5 players have to try and take down the 1. That would be cool!

Edited by BoostMobile, 08 September 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#5 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:34 AM

If they wont do battle armour the wont do playable tanks or infintry. Also, i realized that cw has turrets.

#6 Acid Phase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 553 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

I remember following your orders buddy. Good game that resulted in a win. It was a pleasure.

I honestly had something similar in mind. Please read.

http://mwomercs.com/...46#entry5376046

#7 Captain Mittens

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

Guys, they haven't added a single new weapon or piece of equipment since the clan invasion. How can you possibly even hope that they'd add something as huge as multiple new classes of vehicles for some kind of new game mode.

Honestly, the future of MWO is basically more mechs, until people stop buying them, then the servers will go off line a year or two later.

#8 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

Even if they added vehicle reinforcements as a "Module" it would be awesome. A Warrior helicopter hovering in position taking pot-shots with it's AC/2 at enemies in range!

#9 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

A reinforcement module would definetly be cool, but then id see just twelve mechs and there personal, flying helicopters everymatch, it would ruin variety.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

OP, the community hears you.

PGI, on the other hand, does not.

#11 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

Maybe if you die in mwo but the round is still going you can spawn in an elemental or battle armor or tank or helicopter and zoop about being an annoying one-shot

#12 spud35

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

I would like to see some VTOLS or AeroSpace Fighters or Hover Tanks Or SOMETHING other than JUST Battlemechs.
I do like the battle mechs but the Pheonix Hawk is something called a L.A.M. I understand that PGI can't use this
because it's copyrighted by Robotech ,but the possibility still stands for something like the elemental with its claw,
or 20-ton mechs Or Hellcat Aerospace Fighter with Begal Active Probe 2 LRG lasers and 1 MED laser. That would give
the game sort of a wider feel than just the ground level view of the battle mechs.

#13 Nighthawk513

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

I would fly that fighter, right until the moment it got blown out of the sky by a gauss round. But I drive lights on a daily basis, so I am used to that.
Just make it where there are 1-2 spots for the "Extra" units on each team that are not battlemechs, and I will be happy. And I am sure someone will find a tank with a PPC on it and love it to death. Until it gets buried by a highlander. But I would be fine with using that too, and it would enhance the feel of driving something that is not a mech against mechs.

#14 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

The PHX is not a LAM. The LAM varient weighed another 15 tons(? Not sure but was more). Also the LAM was a failed prototype per lore. Didnt work right and pilots kept crashing in it, so they went to a land only version. ;). Love the enthusiasm though.

Cheers!

#15 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:51 AM

I hope someday PVE content comes out... i highly doubt it... But i hope some day PGI realizes that PVE will really boost their profits by a large portion!

I have met a lot of people who play PVP based games solely for the PVE content thats provided...

I literally know a lot of people that play Overwatch for hours ond playing "Battle AI" bots mode. Heck they bought the game for that mode.

I also know a huge player base of people who play League of Legends just so kill bots endlessly for hours on end.

Heck my nephews bought one of those Xbox consoles just to play a game I think is called ODST where they just kill bots and see how long they can stay alive...

Personally all I want is a campaign mode...

But if they dont want to come up with a story, they could just make a co-op PVE game mode similar to the mechwarrior Academy challenges. Just put a bunch of bots and have them move towards the player group guns blazing... I am sure, lack of PVE is what keeps new players from staying.

#16 spud35

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

The Halloween standing item is a Zombie mech. That could be used as a basis for a side story or campaign even.
Even if they don't want to add the VTOLS or Hovercraft, this might be something to pick up and run with.
Or even incorporate in some way the Solaris Gladiator Planets
(although story-wise it might be too early for this...)

Edited by spud35, 31 October 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#17 spud35

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

View Postnaterist, on 28 September 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

A reinforcement module would definetly be cool, but then id see just twelve mechs and there personal, flying helicopters everymatch, it would ruin variety.

true but what if the drop consisted of 1 or 2 of those?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users