Report - Running Away / Hiding Instead Of Fighting

19 replies to this topic

#1 groves226

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

At the end of a match there are many instances of the last play or two alive running away from the battle to hide out the rest of the game. This is done to pad their K/D ratio. There needs to be a reporting function for this, and a penalty for non-engagement at the end of a match.

Also, it would help if the report function in game actually generated a response like emailing support does to report a player

#2 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Why?

Complete the objectives instead
Do you only have 1 mech?

I'm not even someone to do what you describe but I just don't see the problem in it

#3 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Because even since closed beta when surrender and leave battlfield were NOT implemented. You get trolled. And while I dont agree with or do it. Well you will just have to deal with it.

#4 Thor Sten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostNorthstate, on 25 August 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

I would agree with you except: Skirmish. Which is the most common game mode, at least if it's on the table for a vote.

I would love to see a "surrender" option for cases like these. Perhaps with conditions, such as only last man standing or disarmed mechs may use it, and the enemy commander's got to accept the surrender. Perhaps with a little different reward for losing under this condition or for winning, accepting a surrender.

#5 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostThor Sten, on 25 August 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

I would agree with you except: Skirmish. Which is the most common game mode, at least if it's on the table for a vote.

I would love to see a "surrender" option for cases like these. Perhaps with conditions, such as only last man standing or disarmed mechs may use it, and the enemy commander's got to accept the surrender. Perhaps with a little different reward for losing under this condition or for winning, accepting a surrender.

Well I rarely see that in skirmish and even then, if you're dead you can always play with another mech.
And people on the turds team are usually friendly enough to give away the position of the people doing it.

I am against it on principle, because I just know it will be abused.

You have no right either to dictate how people should play.

#6 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

To be honest, I ran into a few "last man standing" situations (both sides) which ended up being pleasureful executions by the wining team. And having been a last man standing a few times, I have kind of an inner resistance just to present my smoking carcass for the enemy to off me easily.

Don't get me wrong, I am not talking hardcore-hiding, powering-off or running-for-the-border. I saw those and I don't like them either. But if I have the chance to peek and sneak and snipe to make them work to get me, I'll take it anyday. As long as I have weapons I will try to land some hits. I may have to use cover but I will have to be in weapons range and I will need line of sight. And that's the chance for them to take me out. If they are many, they will get me in the end. But I will never just present myself to be executed as easy fun for my opponents. I get where you are coming from. But not everybody is a coward when he isn't just hanging his a$$ out of the window as soon as he's the last man standing.

Pilots removing themselves completely out of any fights, that's where I personaly draw the line.
But I suspect my opinion in that matter would already be abominable for you, isn't it?

#7 Thor Sten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 25 August 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

How is giving an option, that both sides must accept, a dictate?

#8 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostThor Sten, on 25 August 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

How is giving an option, that both sides must accept, a dictate?

Oh I thought you also wanted the report option as OP suggested, my apologies.

#9 groves226

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

When guys run around and try to snipe.. no biggie.. but when guys go and find a corner and power off, that is the issue.

There is a report for suicide, and AFK.. hiding in a corner should also be available.

Edited by groves226, 25 August 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#10 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

View Postgroves226, on 25 August 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

When guys run around and try to snipe.. no biggie.. but when guys go and find a corner and power off, that is the issue.

There is a report for suicide, and AFK.. hiding in a corner should also be available.

I always categorized them in "non participation", discussed at lengh in the Conduct section of the MWO page under said paragraph: https://mwomercs.com/conduct

By my opinion it is declared pretty good, what would qualify as reportable.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

View Postgroves226, on 25 August 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

There needs to be a reporting function for this, and a penalty for non-engagement at the end of a match.
There is a report option in game. Hit Tab, click on the offender's name, and there's a list of stuff to report him for.

Why?
Like someone else mentioned, skirmish, which is by far the most popular mode.

View PostNorthstate, on 25 August 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Well I rarely see that in skirmish and even then, if you're dead you can always play with another mech.
And people on the turds team are usually friendly enough to give away the position of the people doing it.

I am against it on principle, because I just know it will be abused.

It's in the Code of Conduct, that the only excusable reasons for hiding are to gain a tactical advantage in a fight or run down the timer if you can win by points. Avoiding contact while you still have the ability to do damage is against the CoC for a reason, it locks the other 23 players' mechs for no other reason but the coward's delicate ego. Also, giving away a friendly position for any reason is also against the rules. You should actually brush up on the CoC you agreed to before you start rambling away more nonsense in here.

#12 groves226

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostThomster, on 26 August 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

I always categorized them in "non participation", discussed at lengh in the Conduct section of the MWO page under said paragraph: https://mwomercs.com/conduct

By my opinion it is declared pretty good, what would qualify as reportable.

Under nonparticipation there is suicide and AFK.. which, if the playeris just running to a hide spot and shutting down, or staying there until time powered on, doesn't necessarily cover what they are doing.

#13 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

View Postgroves226, on 26 August 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Under nonparticipation there is suicide and AFK.. which, if the playeris just running to a hide spot and shutting down, or staying there until time powered on, doesn't necessarily cover what they are doing.

A quote from the actual CoC:;

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:
  • Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
  • Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
  • Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

If that doesn't say "hiding and shutting down cowardly is reportable under the terms of non-participation" I don't know what is.

Again: I condone such behaviour like you do. But at that point reporting it in as non-participation does it for me. Period.

(I mean, look at the friggin logic of it: He is hiding and shutting down. He is NOT engaging. He is detracting himself from the fight. How could this NOT be non-participation, when in fact this would be the actual quintessence of non-participation?)

Edited by Thomster, 26 August 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#14 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

This still does not cover if I am last man, in good enough condition to leave the batflefield but not engage in a 10 v 1. No ifs ands or buts. I am not turning myself over for an execution. The mercenary in me says no to throwing good war materiel at a bad battle. You see I play sim style where my life means something. Not CoD style where my next respawn matters. Fw multiple mech drops is abhorrent to me.

Edited by HammerMaster, 26 August 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#15 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

if you are last man and try to hide so you can play sim you are just as bad as the guy hiding to save his KD. It is still a waste of others time. after all this is an online multiplayer game you cant keep everyone else there just to play sim.

#16 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Did I say hide? No. If I were to hide it would be to ambush if I felt I had a chance. I'll not freely allow myself to be farmed for your "time". Its bad form on skirmish to do so(shutting down for remainder of match). I'll walk off and I challenge you to present a better option if I'm NOT given a surrender or flee option.

Edited by HammerMaster, 26 August 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#17 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Oh yes. Immersion.

#18 groves226

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostThomster, on 26 August 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Again: I condone such behaviour like you do. But at that point reporting it in as non-participation does it for me. Period.

(I mean, look at the friggin logic of it: He is hiding and shutting down. He is NOT engaging. He is detracting himself from the fight. How could this NOT be non-participation, when in fact this would be the actual quintessence of non-participation?)

I agree, but the two options for nonparticipation only cover those two options.. and AFK/suicide does not cover someone that can be an active combatant that chooses not to be an active combatant regardless of the reason for their choice.

Reporting as suicide/afk is possibly, and is what I and probably other players do but it is not a true representation of what the report is for.

Since no one is a DEV that has responded, though it is unknown if a DEV read the post or saw the headline, we can go back and forth in agreement or otherwise...but it is unfortunately not necessarily constructive in the end

Everyone's opinions are actually great to read, and have been constructive which is always a plus.

#19 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

Every map should have evac points that you can run to and "retreat" rather than get gang-mauled by six mechs at the same time.Players pad K/D ratio without wasting time. Done.

#20 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:01 AM

Why?

Because the same people also fail to engage halfway through the match, running away when it looks like the battle may be turning against their team.

In many cases, their failure to engage causes their team to lose ... and that's not fair to the other 11 players unlucky enough to be dropped with them.

Conversely, I've played matches - and seen other players - win matches when they kept fighting against the odds. (My fondest MWO memory is when I killed four remaining assaults and heavies to win the match for my team. It only happened because I tried, instead of running away and selfishly trying to preserve some unimportant stats.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users