83 replies to this topic

#41 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

While we're at it, make being hit by PPCs induce secondary effects: HUD disruption, loss of targeting, reticle shake/disapperance, etc.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

It would be neat if the more PPCs you hit a component with, the more the damage spreads. Dimishing returns on precision for PPC boats.

I'm actually thinking more of the opposite. Successive PPC hits to the same location should be rewarded, not penalized.

#42 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

It would be neat if the more PPCs you hit a component with, the more the damage spreads. Dimishing returns on precision for PPC boats.

- In my post I describe possibility of lowering main damage, adding splash damage, and in same time some changes to Energy consumption and heat as well, to make PPC still useful weapon but not deadly as it now.
Main idea - core damage + splash damage. Balancing both of them along with ED and heat, can make it weapon for armor destruction but not one-shot "death star" blast. A compromise between players with mech based on PPC and players who don't want to be killed instantly. As for IS pilots as for Clan pilots too. Maybe that save that great weapon from dusty shelves and in same time move from position of unbalanced "too powerful" weapon without extreme cooldown, heat or even limits as it was in case triple gauss.
But I don't know is it possible to change splash damage from how many PPC hit the target. As I test - not always all of them hit same spot anyway (depends on range). So only tweaking "core" damage and "splash"... maybe that would be enough.

Successive PPC hits to the same location should be rewarded, not penalized.

- Yeap. Anyway - more you have PPC - more "core damage" you get if you lucky to spot them all into target (its a longrange weapon and pretty slow anyway). That's already rewards PPC only builds but make them less deadly in perspective. Tweaking "core" - give tool for easiest way to balance it between IS and Clan. Especially when one of three PPC - have range limit and shorter.

Edited by Tiantara, 26 August 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#43 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostMystere, on 26 August 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

I'm actually thinking more of the opposite. Successive PPC hits to the same location should be rewarded, not penalized.

I'm sorry I worded that poorly.

What I mean is, if you have a mech with three PPCs and you alpha into one component, the damage should spread more than if you you only fired one into that component.

I worded the way I did, in order to imply that rapidly firing three PPCs so they're almost, but not technically alpha striking should not be a way around this system.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 26 August 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#44 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

I'm sorry I worded that poorly.

What I mean is, if you have a mech with three PPCs and you alpha into one component, the damage should spread more than if you you only fired one into that component.

I worded the way I did, in order to imply that rapidly firing three PPCs so they're almost, but not technically alpha striking should not be a way around this system.

- It's harder to do... I can have 3 PPC and fire them one by one with delay (as i do on my hot Marauder). But system increase spread because of number PPC on mech. Make system calculate each time - all of them hit the target or no, not a good idea.
So - better splash. Same damage in the result, but less deadly than in one part of mech.
Anyway - we already have splash mechanic on weapon... just some tweaks to and all.

Edited by Tiantara, 26 August 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#45 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

Precision should be rewarded, please stop trying to push the skill ceiling down.

#46 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostUltimax, on 26 August 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Precision should be rewarded, please stop trying to push the skill ceiling down.

- It's not about pulling skill down. You still got "core" damage x how many PPC you have. But some damage go to splash. (more of it in my post)
We have not so much way to go. Its powerful weapon for pinpoint damage. Stacked in 3-4 it become mechpart ripping canon. The one of way to not put weapon on shelves and replace with LPL - reduce main damage (core damage) and add some spread damage (damage by arc as it c-erppc have now).
Make weapon aside of energy as well, as gauss gone out from all ballistic.
- Gauss - longrange pinpoint damage.
- PPC - longrange armor burning splash damage.

Or we all end with extreme long cooldown (what heavy affect any mech based on 1 ppc, or many of them) or more heat \ energy draw (what heavy affect mech with basically bad heat system and low amount of heatshik)
It's time to PPC become stand-alone weapon for longrange softening enemy armor before enemy come closer and in same time use it as deprivation tool for ECM covered mech.
You still do some damage into targeted mech part. Same as laser, but short time of eye-to-eye battle + splash for damaging near parts what in overall don't affect your damage. ERLL make you exposed. ERPPC - no.
Whole idea to save damage, save normal cooldown, save or even make less heat, but take off "oneshot" mechanic which allow pilots of PPC build - burn their targets to ashes before they come closer.

Edited by Tiantara, 26 August 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#47 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostTiantara, on 26 August 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

- It's harder to do... I can have 3 PPC and fire them one by one with delay (as i do on my hot Marauder). But system increase spread because of number PPC on mech. Make system calculate each time - all of them hit the target or no, not a good idea.
So - better splash. Same damage in the result, but less deadly than in one part of mech.
Anyway - we already have splash mechanic on weapon... just some tweaks to and all.

Yeah, I said it would be a neat idea, but my concern is with the load it would place on the server. If you can't dynamically adjust the spread based on firing patterns without hampering the server it's not an idea I would seriously propose. I'm just saying it's a neat concept.

As the PPC stands though, I actually don't think 10 core dmg 4.5s Cooldown is anywhere in the realm of too deadly.

It's only when boated that it becomes a pinpoint damage monster, and that;s the reason the PPC got any nerfs in the first place. The solution I would still suggest is target the boats, make changes that hurt the boats but don't hurt single PPC mechs. I don't think anyone will tell you a single PPC is too deadly, I certainly wouldn't.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 26 August 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#48 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

Ironically 3 IS LPL or 4 CERMED are better options than PPCs in any variation... in conjunction with Gauss (fire Gauss when the energy bar is recovering).

This is an overnerf gone too far.

PPC+IS ERPPC cooldowns should be like 5 seconds anyways (up from the non-PTS value of 4), with the Clan ERPPC with 5.25 or so.

The energy draw values should be changed as followed:
IS PPC (11.5) - this value can be tweaked lower to like 11 or 10.5, because 3 PPCs are not overwhelming
IS ERPPC (12.5) - this value can be tweaked lower to like 12 or 11.5, because IS ERPPCs are inferior as currently constituted
Clan ERPPC (13.5) - this value can't really be lowered that much (13.0 @ most), as you are generally guaranteed 2.5 pts of splash damage

The heat values should be reverted to non-PTS (current game) values.

Also... you may not like to hear this.. but instead of "increasing" energy draw values of Gauss (because, this is dumb), just outright increase heat on Gauss (7.5 for IS, 10 for Clan) and be done with it. I don't even like the idea, but Gauss heat is the only reason all the other stuff is abused the way it is.

Edited by Deathlike, 26 August 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#49 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostUltimax, on 26 August 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

I agree with you 100%, I wish people would stop trying to bring the skill ceiling of the weapon down.

It grinds my gears when I see people suggesting we should actually keep the cooldown at 5.25s, and then raise the velocity by 50% because they;re unable to hit their targets with the current PPCs.

#50 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 August 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

PPC+IS ERPPC cooldowns should be like 5 seconds anyways (up from the non-PTS value of 4), with the Clan ERPPC with 5.25 or so.

Why? The cooldown nerfs are the most unnecessary, and unfair part of the PPCs nerfs by far. 4.6 is the highest cooldown PPCs should have. At that rate of fire they still have a use as singular weapon. Increasing the cooldown any further makes them useless unless you bring at least two.

#51 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

Why? The cooldown nerfs are the most unnecessary, and unfair part of the PPCs nerfs by far. 4.6 is the highest cooldown PPCs should have. At that rate of fire they still have a use as singular weapon. Increasing the cooldown any further makes them useless unless you bring at least two.

The nerfs have to be there because when we had them at the height of the PPC era (it was 3 seconds @ 8pts of heat), this was spamming an astronomical rate (though that's mostly due to the heat at the time).

PPCs NEED to have their cooldown be higher than or equal to a Large Pulse Laser (of both tech types) of its cooldown AND duration (because both are additive time waits), but at the same time NOT be significantly longer.

Solo PPC spamming isn't very trade friendly in the first place (the only time you win in such a trade is when the target has no range to fight back) and as some people may like to do that, it's just bad trading. There's a reason why PPCs are spammed in pairs... it's because trading against DOT... whether it be lasers or dakka, you don't want to be taking in more damage than you're giving back.

Edited by Deathlike, 26 August 2016 - 12:15 PM.

#52 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

As the PPC stands though, I actually don't think 10 core dmg 4.5s Cooldown is anywhere in the realm of too deadly.

- If only 10 - yes. But ERPPC not used in that way.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

It's only when boated that it becomes a pinpoint damage monster, and that;s the reason the PPC got any nerfs in the first place. The solution I would still suggest is target the boats, make changes that hurt the boats but don't hurt single PPC mechs. I don't think anyone will tell you a single PPC is too deadly, I certainly wouldn't.

- Many of mech from heavy to assault can carry more than 4 PPC. Longrange shot in 40-60 damage in pinpoint - really deadly, even with some delay. Make hard restriction or add more calculation on hit - not the way. As I can see - triple PPC can hit the target in one spot, or can hit in nearly placed. Depends on hardpoints - in torso only or in hands. That cause a problem in calculation. In same time make spread by PPC amount make useless chainfire.
Anyway - pilot get his damage. Target after hit have less sturdy armor. Light mech or medium with one PPC - still can earn damage by lowering armor points of targeted mech. Like they do with laser, but in one shot with less time eye contact. In same time mech with 3-4 PPC still get ranged damage and greatly weaken enemy defense for teammates.
If now we can't keep PPC as it was - pinpoint deadly blow, we can change it to great support for brawlers and ballistic, not in slow useless gun replaced by LPL
What better - have high heat and long cooldown like now, or change it to splash weapon which allow make incoming mech less "whole"? I really think that second variant can save PPC from oblivion and in same time take off from position of OP poptaring weapon or too "overpowered in stack" gun. At least, I hope we see it in PTS3.
With such attributes as - "core damage" \ "splash damage" \ heat \ energy points \ cooldown - that weapon easier to balance and adjust in right way than only by damage \ heat \ cooldown.

Edited by Tiantara, 26 August 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#53 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 August 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

The nerfs have to be there because when we had them at the height of the PPC era (it was 3 seconds @ 8pts of heat), this was spamming an astronomical rate (though that's mostly due to the heat at the time).

The nerfs have to be there because we had nerfs when PPCs were too powerful before? I'm not sure I I'm following your logic. We DON'T need cooldown nerfs beyond global ones all weapons received. PPCs were FINE at 4.6s, their fire rate was not what made them troublesome on the PTS.

PPCs NEED to have their cooldown be higher than or equal to a Large Pulse Laser (of both tech types) of its cooldown AND duration (because both are additive time waits), but at the same time NOT be significantly longer.

No they don't. They do not need to have a cooldown that it higher than or equal to a Large Pulse Laser's cooldown + burn time. I'll cite a couple of reasons.

A ) All LPLs have a significantly higher DPS than PPCs on both the PTS and on the live server despite having a longer combined cooldown.

B ) PGI has stated that they want PPCs to be "Burst Damage Weapons" and lasers to be "Sustained Fire Weapons". If this is the case, PPCs should be able to deal high DPS in the short term, but should sucum to their high heat after a few volleys. This differentiates the roles between weapons. Increasing the PPC cooldown just turns the weapon into a bad gauss rifle.

Solo PPC spamming isn't very trade friendly in the first place (the only time you win in such a trade is when the target has no range to fight back) and as some people may like to do that, it's just bad trading. There's a reason why PPCs are spammed in pairs... it's because trading against DOT... whether it be lasers or dakka, you don't want to be taking in more damage than you're giving back.

I beg to differ. I have been piloting single-PPC trade mechs from the very moment I started playing this game. It's my niche and my specialty. On a fast and agile mech with a single PPC, you can peek fire and retreat before you opponent's lasers have time to do much more than scratch the paint. I pull 600 dmg a game on average in my single PPC shadowcat because I've practiced with the PPC for so long. My K/D with that mech just broke 1.8, and my W/L is currently sitting at 1.27.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 26 August 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#54 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

A) All LPLs have a significantly higher DPS than PPCs on both the PTS and on the live server despite having a longer combined cooldown.

Well I would hope so given that they are shorter range weapons and not true PPFLD. I get that both the LPL and PPC do the same damage for 7 tons, but because of their different range profiles, they shouldn't really be compared to each other. If anything, 3 LLs should be being compared to 2 PPCs because of similar range profiles.

PGI has stated that they want PPCs to be "Burst Damage Weapons" and lasers to be "Sustained Fire Weapons"

They can state this until they are blue in the face, problem is, they don't actually understand the difference or how to encourage this. Either way, I would prefer them doing more damage per hit (12.5 damage/heat and 15 draw) maybe? and keeping the cooldown as is rather than unnerfing cooldown to help encourage the burst damage fact of them, it would also better allow them to compete with Clan ERPPCs.

I beg to differ. I have been piloting single-PPC trade mechs from the very moment I started playing this game. It's my niche and my specialty. On a fast and agile mech with a single PPC, you can peek fire and retreat before you opponent's lasers have time to do much more than scratch the paint. I pull 600 dmg a game on average in my single PPC shadowcat because I've practiced with the PPC for so long. My K/D with that mech just broke 1.8, and my W/L is currently sitting at 1.27.

Cool story?

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 26 August 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#55 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostTiantara, on 26 August 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

- Many of mech from heavy to assault can carry more than 4 PPC. Longrange shot in 40-60 damage in pinpoint - really deadly, even with some delay. Make hard restriction or add more calculation on hit - not the way.

The way should be to increase energy draw on PPCs, not spreading out their damage (more). Perhaps it seems artificial and unfair to impose limitations on mechs that bring more than 2 PPCs, but it's the fairest way to control problem mechs (the boats) without hurting the non-problem mechs.

Keep the Energy draw where it is, bring the cooldown back to 4.5 or 4.6. I can almost guarantee you that with the raised penalties for exceeding ED, PPCs will not be overpowered. If they're still a little out of line then the weapon can have it's energy draw raised a little more.

#56 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

The nerfs have to be there because we had nerfs when PPCs were too powerful before? I'm not sure I I'm following your logic. We DON'T need cooldown nerfs beyond global ones all weapons received. PPCs were FINE at 4.6s, their fire rate was not what made them troublesome on the PTS.

Our balance overnerfs things with his bat. I think 5 seconds is sufficient honestly, but it's easier to give up using PPCs instead.

No they don't. They do not need to have a cooldown that it higher than or equal to a Large Pulse Laser's cooldown + burn time. I'll cite a couple of reasons.

A ) All LPLs have a significantly higher DPS than PPCs on both the PTS and on the live server despite having a longer combined cooldown.

B ) PGI has stated that they want PPCs to be "Burst Damage Weapons" and lasers to be "Sustained Fire Weapons". If this is the case, PPCs should be able to deal high DPS in the short term, but should sucum to their high heat after a few volleys. This differentiates the roles between weapons. Increasing the PPC cooldown just turns the weapon into a bad gauss rifle.

I'm already saying that the current 5.25s on the PTS is an overnerf. If you really want it back to 4.6 (or whatever its previous value is), it's fine. Pretty much the overwhelming issue is actually the draw values, due to the use of those particular weapons and not so much the heat on them... although the heat is a factor just as well.

Depending on your competition, you "could" get away with that 1 PPC/ERPPC, but when faced against good competition (and mechs), you'll get exposed.

Even at the height of the PPC meta, it made sense to run 2 PPCs (20 pts of FLD is minimum IMO) as laservomit, especially with 3 LPL is a superior option (2 CLPL in the case of a Shadowcat). The longer you are exposed, the more laservomit is better. I'd wonder how much time it would take to see if that trade makes sense (you'll lose to IS LPL much quicker than Clan LPL - I'm sure this difference can be measured), but any time you do a garbage level of FLD, you will take usually more back as punishment.

Mind you, something like a Cicada-3C, that is so super dependent on the ERPPC quirks is still a bad design (needs more energy hardpoints honestly.. with better MGs).

That's why the separation of damages need to be differentiated.

FLD - Front Loaded Damage (usually referred to as Burst Damage - PPCs+Gauss)
DOT - Damage Over Time (lasers and Clan UACs are usually involved)
SPD - SPread Damage (SRMs/Streaks/LBX/LRMs fall into this catagory, although I'd just axe LRMs... because, LRMs)
SUD - SUstained Damage (usually referring to most forms dakka (AC5, UAC5, Clan UACs), but also includes MGs and lol Flamers)

The question is really to find the proper ratio for each type, but also factoring in range (because a Small Laser is totally not the same or as effective as a ER Large Laser).

Dakka still survives well, but we're still trying to figure out the Spread part (SRMs) and DOT vs FLD part (lasers vs PPC+Gauss). They aren't all the same thing, except in our balance overlord's arbitrary system... some of them somehow are. That's the problem.

Edited by Deathlike, 26 August 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#57 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 26 August 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Well I would hope so given that they are shorter range weapons and not true PPFLD. I get that both the LPL and PPC do the same damage for 7 tons, but because of their different range profiles, they shouldn't really be compared to each other. If anything, 3 LLs should be being compared to 2 PPCs because of similar range profiles.

cLPL still has plenty of range, IS LPL? not so much but I was discussing the one for one weapon values. 1 IS LPL can do more DPS than PPCs, and can still be run in threes without triggering ED.

Also for your reference on the PTS2:
IS LL: 1.87 DPS
PPC: 1.90 DPS

One is a 7 ton weapon that can be run unpunished in pairs. The other is a 5 ton weapon that can be run unpunished in trios.

3LL vs 2 PPCs:
3LL weighs 1 ton more, generates 1 more point of heat, and deals 7 more damage.

They can state this until they are blue in the face, problem is, they don't actually understand the difference or how to encourage this. Either way, I would prefer them doing more damage per hit (12.5 damage/heat and 15 draw) maybe? and keeping the cooldown as is rather than unnerfing cooldown to help encourage the burst damage fact of them, it would also better allow them to compete with Clan ERPPCs.

We're at least in agreement that they have no idea what burst vs. sustain is or how it works. I'd rather them stick to their semi-canon values and bring the cooldown back down, but I could live with a damage increase so long as clan PPCs get all their damage in one spot.

Still I'm afraid such changes will just lead to the same problem we're currently having on PPC boats (high PPFLD) occurring on mechs with less PPCs. 2 PPC mechs will start dealing the problematic PPFLD damage you used to need 3 PPCs to deal.

Cool story?

I guess so. It's also relevant contrary evidence.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 26 August 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#58 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

3LL vs 2 PPCs:
3LL weighs 1 ton more, generates 1 more point of heat, and deals 7 more damage.

So the trade-off is this:
2 PPC gets 1 more free ton (but no extra crits), 1 point less of heat, PPFLD, 90m of extra range (but 90 minimum range).
3 LL gets 7 more damage and hit scan (blessing and a curse due to hit reg). Having that 1 second duration can be pretty rough, especially since mediums and lights can abuse poptarts better.

I'd say that is pretty close to even, especially if they unnerfed the heat and/or power draw to be not so prohibitive. Mind you, this more shows just how bad the iLL has been for the longest time.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 26 August 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

I guess so. It's also relevant contrary evidence.

No, it's anecdotal, there is a difference.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 26 August 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#59 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 August 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'm already saying that the current 5.25s on the PTS is an overnerf. If you really want it back to 4.6 (or whatever its previous value is), it's fine. Pretty much the overwhelming issue is actually the draw values, due to the use of those particular weapons and not so much the heat on them... although the heat is a factor just as well.

The heat should be what limits the PPCs in my opinion. I just see ED as a complicated extention to heat that PGI has formulated. if PPCs have their cooldown reverted to 4.6s, I'm jolly good and happy with any changes they decide to make to the weapon outside of maybe damage nerfs.

Depending on your competition, you "could" get away with that 1 PPC/ERPPC, but when faced against good competition (and mechs), you'll get exposed.

I play in both the group and quickplay queues in tier 1. The results I get with 1 PPC on an agile (high accel/deccel) mech are pretty consistent. My limiting factor is the match time which determines how much damage I have time to deal. Trading damage is never an issue so long as I have some cover. This is especially true on light mechs or Shadowcats because of their MASC. I assure you single PPCs trade plenty well on the right chassis, the issue is doing enough damage to be a threat.

Even at the height of the PPC meta, it made sense to run 2 PPCs (20 pts of FLD is minimum IMO) as laservomit, especially with 3 LPL is a superior option (2 CLPL in the case of a Shadowcat). The longer you are exposed, the more laservomit is better. I'd wonder how much time it would take to see if that trade makes sense (you'll lose to IS LPL much quicker than Clan LPL - I'm sure this difference can be measured), but any time you do a garbage level of FLD, you will take usually more back as punishment.

I can go to the testing range and check my exposure time if you like.

Mind you, something like a Cicada-3C, that is so super dependent on the ERPPC quirks is still a bad design (needs more energy hardpoints honestly.. with better MGs).

That's why the separation of damages need to be differentiated.

FLD - Front Loaded Damage (usually referred to as Burst Damage - PPCs+Gauss)
DOT - Damage Over Time (lasers and Clan UACs are usually involved)
SPD - SPread Damage (SRMs/Streaks/LBX/LRMs fall into this catagory, although I'd just axe LRMs... because, LRMs)
SUD - SUstained Damage (usually referring to most forms dakka (AC5, UAC5, Clan UACs), but also includes MGs and lol Flamers)

The question is really to find the proper ratio for each type, but also factoring in range (because a Small Laser is totally not the same or as effective as a ER Large Laser).

Dakka still survives well, but we're still trying to figure out the Spread part (SRMs) and DOT vs FLD part (lasers vs PPC+Gauss). They aren't all the same thing, except in our balance overlord's arbitrary system... some of them somehow are. That's the problem.

We agree on this point.

#60 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Kalasa, do you feel that PPCs are overpowered on the Live server?

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 26 August 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

No, it's anecdotal, there is a difference.

Are you saying that I, as a pilot, am an exception? Or that I've just been getting lucky, and my lucky games are anecdotal? I feel as though anyone can do what I'm doing if they practice.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 26 August 2016 - 01:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users