Heat System Preference Survey

54 replies to this topic

Poll: Heat System Preference Survey (262 member(s) have cast votes)

My opinion of the current PTS2 version of Energy Draw, compared to the base heat system with Ghost Heat, is that...

1. It is significantly superior to the current heat system in every way, and should be implemented as-is. (17 votes [6.49%])

Percentage of vote: 6.49%

2. It is somewhat superior to the current heat system, but needs work (113 votes [43.13%])

Percentage of vote: 43.13%

3. It is no better or worse than the current heat system, or I have no opinion. (21 votes [8.02%])

Percentage of vote: 8.02%

4. It is somewhat worse that the current heat system, and needs work before implementation can be considered. (44 votes [16.79%])

Percentage of vote: 16.79%

5. It is significanlty worse than the current heat system and should not be implemented. (67 votes [25.57%])

Percentage of vote: 25.57%

I believe build variety and viability under the PTS2 Energy Draw system, compared to the current MWO heat system with Ghost Heat is...

1. Significantly better than the current system. (31 votes [11.83%])

Percentage of vote: 11.83%

2. Somewhat better than the current system. (63 votes [24.05%])

Percentage of vote: 24.05%

3. About the same as the current system, or I have no opinion. (48 votes [18.32%])

Percentage of vote: 18.32%

4. Somewhat worse than the current system. (51 votes [19.47%])

Percentage of vote: 19.47%

5. Significantly worse than the current system. (69 votes [26.34%])

Percentage of vote: 26.34%

The heat system in MWO should encourage varied and mixed builds over boating whenever a chassis allows for it.

1. Strongly agree. (87 votes [33.21%])

Percentage of vote: 33.21%

2. Somewhat agree. (59 votes [22.52%])

Percentage of vote: 22.52%

3. Neither agree or disagree, or have no opinion. (47 votes [17.94%])

Percentage of vote: 17.94%

4. Somewhat disagree. (36 votes [13.74%])

Percentage of vote: 13.74%

5. Strongly disagree. (33 votes [12.60%])

Percentage of vote: 12.60%

I believe the level of complexity/ease of understanding for the PTS2 version of Energy Draw, as compared to the current MWO heat system with Ghost Heat, is...

1. Significantly lower complexity/easier to understand than GH. (66 votes [25.19%])

Percentage of vote: 25.19%

2. Somewhat lower complexity/easier to understand than GH. (55 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

3. About equal, or I have no opinion. (51 votes [19.47%])

4. Somewhat higher complexity/harder to understand than GH. (52 votes [19.85%])

Percentage of vote: 19.85%

5. Significantly higher complexity/harder to understand than GH. (38 votes [14.50%])

Percentage of vote: 14.50%

I believe that replacing the current MWO heat system (GH) with Energy Draw is likely to improve the quality of matches on the live server.

1. Strongly agree. (54 votes [20.61%])

Percentage of vote: 20.61%

2. Somewhat agree. (53 votes [20.23%])

Percentage of vote: 20.23%

3. Neither agree or disagree, or have no opinion. (33 votes [12.60%])

Percentage of vote: 12.60%

4. Somewhat disagree. (43 votes [16.41%])

Percentage of vote: 16.41%

5. Strongly disagree. (79 votes [30.15%])

Percentage of vote: 30.15%

If Energy Draw is implemented into the Live servers and becomes the standard heat system for the game, I am likely to...

1. Significantly increase my play time (and possibly spending) into MWO. (20 votes [7.63%])

Percentage of vote: 7.63%

2. Somewhat increase my play time (and possibly spending) into MWO. (51 votes [19.47%])

3. Not change my play and spending habits, or I have no opinion. (90 votes [34.35%])

Percentage of vote: 34.35%

4. Somewhat decrease my play time (and possibly spending) into MWO. (37 votes [14.12%])

Percentage of vote: 14.12%

5. Significantly decrease my play time (and possibly spending) into MWO. (64 votes [24.43%])

Percentage of vote: 24.43%

If the Energy Draw system is abandoned, and the current MWO heat system with Ghost Heat remains the standard system for the Live game, I am likely to...

1. Continue my play time and spending habits at their current levels. (191 votes [72.90%])

Percentage of vote: 72.90%

2. Somewhat decrease the level of my play time and spending habits. (47 votes [17.94%])

Percentage of vote: 17.94%

3. Significantly decrease the level of my play time and spending habits. (24 votes [9.16%])

Percentage of vote: 9.16%

I believe PGI's resources for developing and balancing the MWO heat system would be best spent...

1. Further developing and balancing the Energy Draw system. (90 votes [34.35%])

Percentage of vote: 34.35%

2. Further developing and balancing the Ghost Heat system. (15 votes [5.73%])

Percentage of vote: 5.73%

3. Abandoning both Ghost Heat and Energy Draw to further develop and balance the base heat system. (49 votes [18.70%])

Percentage of vote: 18.70%

4. Developing a completely different heat system (a TT-style system, or other). (52 votes [19.85%])

Percentage of vote: 19.85%

5. On other matters. The current system works fine-as is. (45 votes [17.18%])

Percentage of vote: 17.18%

6. I have no opinion. (11 votes [4.20%])

Percentage of vote: 4.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Current Polling shows that player preference for either Ghost Heat or Energy Draw is about even at 50/50 for most surveys. This shows that Energy Draw has not gained enough favorability over the current system to demonstrate it is a strict improvement over Ghost Heat for most players.

However, a more detailed poll has not yet been put up to get general opinion about certain aspects of the heat system and player preference for those systems. So I'm adding a more detailed poll here to get an idea of what player preferences really are.

In addition to the poll questions, I am posing several short-answer questions below that I would like users to consider and answer.

PLEASE, NO DEBATE. This survey is intended to collect data and opinions, not to serve as a place to discuss and debate the various merits of a given system. I do NOT want to see any posts addressing the posts of other players or their opinions.

Short-answer questions as follows (feel free to address any or all of these questions at your discretion):

1) What role, if any, should the heat system have in limiting alphas (here defined as firing most or all of a mech's mounted weapons in one shot)?

2) Are there levels and types of alphas that are deemed more acceptable than others? If so, what are examples of acceptable/unacceptable alphas?

3) Is it an acceptable/unacceptable expectation that heavier mechs should have higher firepower output than lighter mechs? Why?

4) Should the heat system have mechanics in place to limit the firepower capability of mechs beyond what their build and heat capacity allow - either by limiting simultaneous damage, Damage-over-time, types and amounts of weapons fired together, etc? Why?

5) What, if any, types of builds and conditions should a heat system provide limits for beyond the base capabilities of the heat and builds systems?

Please don't hesitate to request additional questions or suggest changes to existing ones. The survey is designed to determine how people really feel about the heat systems in MWO and what likely impact these are likely to have on match quality and play time. Additional questions are designed to determined what specific qualities players are looking for in a heat system.

I would further ask that players leave their bias at the door. I am noticing a trend in one question specifically where the poll results are running highly counter to what most player feedback is saying. I would prefer to not have to discount any questions and their results later on because some players are running an agenda.

Edited by ScarecrowES, 27 August 2016 - 08:45 PM.

#2 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

1) The heat system should punish frequent alpha strikes, and exceptionally high alpha strikes, but leave infrequent or lower-level alpha strikes intact.

2) It is generally believed that it is acceptable that alpha strikes with low-precision weapons and spread weapons be generally higher than precise alphas.

3) Heavier mechs should have higher firepower output. The systems of Battletech/Mechwarrior are designed to balance the sizes of mechs against each other through speed, maneuverability, armor, and firepower. Restricting the firepower capability of heavier mechs throws off this balance.

4) A heat system should not provide significant limits for firepower capability beyond what the base system can provide. The base system itself should work in all conditions and with all types of weapons/mechs. It is difficult to place desirable restrictions against one type of weapon or build as such builds and weapons are not deemed to be a problem in all conditions. The effort to place special rules for special conditions adds unnecessary complexity and only serves to mask the underlying problems of the system.

5) Ideally, none. The base system should be able to restrict builds whose output to cooling ratios too highly favor output, and to limit Damage-over-Time in a positive way across the board without having to restrict specific build types or conditions.

#3 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Please concider adding something that says something along the lines of -

Abandon both Ghost Heat and Energy Draw. Read the ideas invented by the community in the PTS feedback forums. Choose an idea advanced enough to encourage both mixed and boat builds

- to the last question.

#4 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 27 August 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

Please concider adding something that says something along the lines of -

Abandon both Ghost Heat and Energy Draw. Read the ideas invented by the community in the PTS feedback forums. Choose an idea advanced enough to encourage both mixed and boat builds

- to the last question.

That option is already available ... "Developing a completely different heat system (a TT-style system, or other)."

The option you've referenced is designed for those people who like the current base heat system, and would prefer it be adjusted without any additional mechanics like GH or ED.

The next option is for those people who would like to see some other option entirely... such as a TT system. Unfortunately, I can't suggest WHERE PGI get its next new ideas from. Nor do I believe such a suggestion would be taken anyway.

As to mixed builds, I addressed that one in separate questions specifically to highlight its importance... or lack thereof, depending on your opinion. Preliminary results would so far indicate that players feel encouraging mixed builds is important, and that ED does not do that better than the current system - for instance.

Edited by ScarecrowES, 27 August 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#5 guy0320

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

1. The heat system should limit the effectiveness of long range precision alphas, should only moderately restrict mid range alphas, and should not limit short range alphas or weapons that have a cone of fire.

2. High damage short range alphas areally more acceptable than high damage mid-range alphas which are much more acceptable than high damage precision long range alphas. Examples of acceptable alpha limit: long range ppfld alpha: 30 points of damage, long range laser alpha: 35 damage, mid range alpha (all types): 45 damage, short range alpha: 60 damage.

#6 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

1) Heat system should make mechs sluggish and slower the hotter they get.
At 85% heat ammo explosions should have a chance of occuring.
Other things that happens could be-
- Slower missile locks.
- Stuttering or even complete shutdown of minimap and some other HUD elements.
- BAP/ECM in a hot mech stop functioning.
- Lower sensor range.

2) I think Guy0320 pretty much nailed it. But whenever a player does something like a 30 damage strike he should have a very long cooldown.
Especially at long range.
I don't know precisely how long but it should be something that makes alphaing a thing you do of desperation.

3) If you're talking about heavier mechs having more space and tonnage available for weapons that is acceptable.
But if it's about assault mechs having the capacity to do a 50 damage alpha without penalty while lights are restricted to 20 damage alpha's it's debatable.
I think it's unacceptable but i try to keep an open mind.
But i don't want a debate here either so let's skip that.

4 and 5) Don't understand the questions. English is my 2nd language.

#7 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Ok votes cast
now waiting for results from bigger group of players.

#8 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 27 August 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

4 and 5) Don't understand the questions. English is my 2nd language.

Yeah, it would be a bit easier for people to understand if the question was partially restated in the answers.

Like.. 4 asks if ED is easier to understand than GH. The answers are (significantly better / significantly worse,) and I feel the poll would be easier for non-native English speakers if the question was restated in the answer, such as (ED is significantly easier to understand than GH / ED is significantly harder to understand than GH.)

#9 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

I've stopped playing this game right after ghost heat was introduced. I played a little on new PTS, and my opinion is as follows:
This new energy draw is as stupid as gost heat is. If Inouye doesn't want high damage alphas, he should simply lower heat capacity for all mechs and extend cooldown on high damage weapons - then he wouldn't have to make weapons generate more heat above certain damage. As simple as that.
But this guy doesn't seem to be capable to make it simple, so I guess there's no hope untill he's working on MWO.

#10 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 27 August 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Yeah, it would be a bit easier for people to understand if the question was partially restated in the answers.

Like.. 4 asks if ED is easier to understand than GH. The answers are (significantly better / significantly worse,) and I feel the poll would be easier for non-native English speakers if the question was restated in the answer, such as (ED is significantly easier to understand than GH / ED is significantly harder to understand than GH.)

I will go ahead and do that.

#11 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

One of the least biesed polls I've seen on these forums. Wel done. Now hopefully we'll get more people here to vote on it. 60/70 people ain't going to be a significant sample of the, what do the leaderboards say... 25k pilots or something like that.

Anybody get this to reddit already? Did y'all tweat the twatt out of it?

... if only PGI had a link from the PTS main screen to this at the least....we can only hope for some direct PGI feedback requests from less vocal pilots.

#12 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hey, I just noticed #3 has two, "strongly agree." I don't think anyone would select, "strongly disagree," for that option, but I believe that it was an intended selection.

View PostDracol, on 27 August 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

... if only PGI had a link from the PTS main screen to this at the least....we can only hope for some direct PGI feedback requests from less vocal pilots.

Sean Lang suggested one of the polls to be stickied on the reddit.. and they voted him down into oblivion. I think a lot of people are hoping that if they ignore ED, ED will quietly go away.

Posted Image

#13 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 27 August 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

Hey, I just noticed #3 has two, "strongly agree." I don't think anyone would select, "strongly disagree," for that option, but I believe that it was an intended selection.

Sorry, just noticed that. Fixed it. Still, thank goodness it was pretty obvious what the selection intended.

View PostDracol, on 27 August 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

One of the least biesed polls I've seen on these forums. Wel done. Now hopefully we'll get more people here to vote on it. 60/70 people ain't going to be a significant sample of the, what do the leaderboards say... 25k pilots or something like that.

The poll itself was intended to be unbiased and more detailed than is typical on the forums for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, I don't believe people are answering entirely truthfully. I believe there is a question or two in there... whether my own fault for the wording of it, or because people want to represent the systems a certain way... where the answers being given in the poll directly contradict what most people are saying in their feedback. And that's unfortunate. I think some of the numbers are a bit more skewed in favor of ED than the forum feedback is.

The great thing about the questions I chose and the ratios of responses is that you see clear trends and can pick out demographics - if you know what you're looking for. Even in those areas I expect the numbers are skewed to ED, there is no sign of favor for the system, so the message is still clear.

Still, even given these preliminary numbers, there is little reason to push ED forward with its current mechanics. The poll numbers show anything but a ringing endorsement for the system. The very minor favor is strongly tepid, and dependent on the notion that the glaring problems in the system can and will be fixed.

Polling shows a strong belief amongst testers that the system is not meeting its primary goals. And moreover, it shows that PGI has more to lose in terms of play time and monetary investment by instituting the system than it does just leaving GH where it is.

Basic polling theory holds that the people most likely to invest time or energy into a process such as this are the ones who have the largest vested interest in it. As such, by percentage, the larger portion of PTS population will contain players who have a significant dislike of the current system. The rest will be made up of those who strongly dislike the proposed system, strongly like the existing system, or are merely curious. This will be a smaller minority than the majority who dislikes the current system.

Generally, those people who are satisfied with a current system, but don't feel strongly about it, will not show up to test its replacement.

Thus, we can assume that the PTS populations SHOULD skew largely in favor of the new system. If that system lived up to expectations even remotely, you SHOULD expect to see a landslide of support for the system. Instead, you have merely just over 50% direct favor, and largely only in the "somewhat" category. A very poor sign.

Most players seem to believe that the heat system in MWO should encourage build variety, and this is often reflected in the viability of mixed builds in the live game. Something that is very strong right now, under ghost heat. It can be said that the health and viability of mixed or sub-optimal builds shows the overall health of balance and gameplay.

It is a very good sign for balance when players feel they do not have to use optimized meta builds to be successful, and players seem to strongly encourage that systems support this. However, players do not seem to believe that ED is doing as good a job as the live servers at encouraging a variety of builds - in the mid 40's favorability. This one I think is highly skewed, as most players report that build variety suffers under ED, and that there are clear winners and losers even with only a week of testing.

Reducing complexity and increasing easy of use for players is a hallmark of the ED system. It has always been a primary stated goal and one that supporters tout often. Only half of testers feel that the system is meeting that goal.

Improving the quality of matchplay is perhaps the most important overall goal of any change to a gameplay system. Half of testers do not believe that matches will improved under ED. This alone would be enough to scrap the system outright, though there is heavy support to continue development to see if the problems can be ironed out.

If ED is implemented on the live servers, only around 35% of players believe they would invest more time and money into the game, versus around 30% who would play less. The negative response to ED is shown to be stronger than the positive response. PGI stands to gain a mere net 5% of player interest, at best, and what interest they gain will be more tepid than what they lost.

However, if ED is not implemented, life will pretty much just go on as normal. As expected, some players who feel strongly positive about ED will not handle it's abandonment well. However, most players will gladly continue playing with just what we have now. PGI has little to gain by implementing ED, and a lot to lose.

As expected, the percentage of players who wish for development to continue on ED aligns somewhat closely to overall favorability of the system. However, in this category you would expect a lot of players who do not feel strongly AGAINST ED would vote for continued development. Th percentage in favor of continued development should be MUCH higher. This perhaps demonstrates a slight lack of confidence that problems with the system can be ironed out, and many players (more than half) would prefer a different solution.

Tepid favorability, clear signs that system goals are not being met, a lack of confidence that the game will improve through its implementation, and a general notion that MWO will lose more player interest than it will gain - all very very bad signs.
It's good to show that players are not necessarily enamored with Ghost Heat. While all indication is that players look on the current state of the game, build variety, and balance highly favorably, there's no sign of love lost if PGI replaces Ghost Heat with something else.

It just seems that most people don't think that ED fits the bill.

#14 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 August 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

1) The heat system should punish frequent alpha strikes, and exceptionally high alpha strikes, but leave infrequent or lower-level alpha strikes intact.

2) It is generally believed that it is acceptable that alpha strikes with low-precision weapons and spread weapons be generally higher than precise alphas.

3) Heavier mechs should have higher firepower output. The systems of Battletech/Mechwarrior are designed to balance the sizes of mechs against each other through speed, maneuverability, armor, and firepower. Restricting the firepower capability of heavier mechs throws off this balance.

4) A heat system should not provide significant limits for firepower capability beyond what the base system can provide. The base system itself should work in all conditions and with all types of weapons/mechs. It is difficult to place desirable restrictions against one type of weapon or build as such builds and weapons are not deemed to be a problem in all conditions. The effort to place special rules for special conditions adds unnecessary complexity and only serves to mask the underlying problems of the system.

5) Ideally, none. The base system should be able to restrict builds whose output to cooling ratios too highly favor output, and to limit Damage-over-Time in a positive way across the board without having to restrict specific build types or conditions.

I will just quote this, as this is how I feel a system, any system, whatever is, should be doing this.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:27 AM

my opinion is that its only slightly better over all. mostly because its showing the player exactly what is going on.

fundamentally the new ed mechanics are not really that different than gh. gone are the arbitrary ghost heat groups and replaced by a mathematical model of damage output and time. this revolves around a 30 point alpha which is close to what the older gh penalties centered around (+/- ~10). ghost heat groups are replaced by weights (not to be confused for tonnage) for each weapon, which makes the system much better for fine tuning.

however those weights are set up such that they closely emulate the old gh groups. problem weapons (the ones that make the nastiest boats, like gauss) are given higher weights, less troublesome weapons are allowed to chip away at a slower rate and not penalized as much. however gone are the hard limits that allowed for so many workarounds to gh. even if two weapons dont share a gh group anymore, their weights are still counted, so no more mixing laser classes to avoid penalties. thats really the only place it improves over the old system.

the effect this will have on boating isnt really that severe. the problem boats will be dealt with because they are weighted high, but you can still boat weapons with low weights quite effectively. this is not terrible. mixed builds however seem like they will be more about bringing a weapons for every possible situation, but where only a few will be used at a particular time, where under the old system, it was more about having as many different gh groups as possible to avoid penalties.

while it handles boats in a fair and sane way, i kind of think it will provide no benefit to mixed builds at all. they will still benefit from being useful in more situations than situational builds, and the fact that you will be using smaller groups rather than alphas most of the time, but this is the same as under gh. i kind of feel like my 3 bar system would benefit mixed over boats more, but at the cost of more complexity, but the mechanic would make more sense and be more intuitive with respect to missile and ballistic weapons.

now the new mechanic comes with a lot of questionable refactoring and a few new rules that i find questionable, but which have nothing to do with the mechanic itself. this is my list for the 3 worst offenders:

the decision to limit players to 2 gauss rifles doesn't seem like a bad rule, but it sets a precedent i dont want to see set. they might impose quantity limits on other weapons in the future. perhaps make it where you can carry 3 or 4, but you get a longer cd or whatever to compensate, and you cant fire them together without insane penalties (hot gauss).

the fire lockout unless override i dont much like. i suppose it will keep new players from blowing themselves up, but older players might run with their override turned on all the time to avoid it. i suspect you will see a lot of suicides when its brought into live. frankly i see it as hand holding. its better to let idiots blow themselves up a couple times before they learn some fire discipline.

the module performance slash really hurts. ive dropped millions of cbills on cd modules and they get slashed by 2/3s. 1/3 or 1/2 might have been better. or make the modules a little better and knock quirks down. if this is done to give new players who cant afford modules a better experience, it might just be more effective to slash the module prices. old players dont feel ripped off and new players can afford them. or cut the module effectiveness, cut the price, and give old players the difference for their existing modules. also some weapons still dont have module representation: ac2s, uac2, all cacs for example, especially damaging in lieu of a global cd lowering.

for something i did like, the death of the gauss charge is nice. i wont miss it at all. i really dont think these kinds of interface screws help. older mechwarrior games didnt have them. the mechanics just feel artificial, and it gets in the way of the fire control system as a whole. id also like to see the death of double tap for uacs replace with variable burst. all uacs become burst weapons, except the length of the burst is random between 1x and 2x (or perhaps 1.5x, 1.75x etc) the safe burst size. the overall cycle time is fixed, the cd depends on how many shots actually fired (the time the jammed shells would have taken to fire is added to the cd, and thats your jam penalty). this gets rid of the last bit of screwy firecontrol.

#16 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 August 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

Lot's of stuff

Listen to LordNothing. His system may be very complex and many would say it would give a severe disadvantage to mechs that only have a single type of weapon such as the Archer 5W which has only missiles.
But that problem was pretty much solved by post 7# and i think we could bring more solutions to that problem within moments.

Link to LordNothing's idea-
MWO: Forums - What If We Have 3 Bars?

What his idea does is this. It makes both boats and mixed builds equally viable. It may sound improbable that mixed builds could be the equals of boats but we solved it.
LordNothing's idea is faaaar more than just a bandaid system like ED and GH.

#17 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Funny that you're telling people to keep their bias at the door when you're denying that the results are legitimate and deleting comments that don't agree with you.

#18 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

1) What role, if any, should the heat system have in limiting alphas (here defined as firing most or all of a mech's mounted weapons in one shot)?

ED should reduce the dmg per volley to something about 20-35 and allow up to 15-20 dps (as is with the current 20 replenish / secon).
- 2x PPCs
- 1x or max 2x Gauss
- 3x SRM6, max 4x SRM6
- 40LRM tubes
- 1x AC20
- 2x AC10
- 3x LBX10
- 4x uAC5
- 2x LL/cERLL
- 2x LP/cLP
- 5x ML
- 5x MP
- 4x cML
- 4x cMP

2) Are there levels and types of alphas that are deemed more acceptable than others? If so, what are examples of acceptable/unacceptable alphas?

Limiting PPFLD to about 20, Lasers to about 25-30 (with possible higher value for longer beams over 1.4 seconds) and missile weapons to be about 40-60 damage with high spread (e.g. 3x SRM6 or 2x LRM15)

3) Is it an acceptable/unacceptable expectation that heavier mechs should have higher firepower output than lighter mechs? Why?

Better to keep the limit small, but start with lower penalties, so that you get penalties earlier, but less severe, so even smaller mechs need to manage their potential energy draw.
But larger mechs should be effected in the same way: smaller volleys and just be able to shoot some more weapns in between (increased dps compared to smaller mechs).

4) Should the heat system have mechanics in place to limit the firepower capability of mechs beyond what their build and heat capacity allow - either by limiting simultaneous damage, Damage-over-time, types and amounts of weapons fired together, etc? Why?

Increasing cooldown or mech agility when over a certail limit (heat effects such as TT effects).

5) What, if any, types of builds and conditions should a heat system provide limits for beyond the base capabilities of the heat and builds systems?

In generall to just make it less efficient by shooting more than 2x the same "big" weapon (e.g. 2x PPC, 2x LRM15 or 2x Gauss) at the same time and make it better to spread the damage over multiple volleys (e.g. 2 +2 +2 instead of 6 per volley).
This should already be the case now with most "big" weapons.

Edited by Reno Blade, 28 August 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#19 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 August 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

I would further ask that players leave their bias at the door. I am noticing a trend in one question specifically where the poll results are running highly counter to what most player feedback is saying. I would prefer to not have to discount any questions and their results later on because some players are running an agenda.

This part is a bit strange. You are asking for peoples oppionion so ofcourse it will be based on their personal bias. You also shouldn't think the amount of complaints are a sign of what the general oppinion are as those who want to complain are always more likely to post then the ones that are happy. Polls tend to be the same, but a bit less, so are a bit more representative.

#20 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostGentleman Reaper, on 28 August 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

Funny that you're telling people to keep their bias at the door when you're denying that the results are legitimate and deleting comments that don't agree with you.

I'm sorry... where has that happened anywhere in this thread? Please keep your lies out of the conversation. I don't even HAVE the power to delete other people's comments, any more than you do.

Edited by ScarecrowES, 28 August 2016 - 09:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users