Too Many Events, Too Close Together

19 replies to this topic

#1 Karone

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

I dont know if im just crazy, but every single day (for the past 2 months) there is always some type of event going on.

Every time i try to play this game people are acting like complete idiots every game, I believe this is due to the fact that EVERY TIME there is an event going on, people, (for some unknown reason) commit THE dumbest tactical moves.

It just gets really annoying when i feel i "have to play this game" because there is an event going on and id like to see some more... serious team play. But the events seem to block that.

P.S. if you think im stupid, pls dont bash my complaining and yell at me, i dont like being "Roasted" in the forums XD and im sure none of you do either.

Edited by Dragoth2594, 02 September 2016 - 07:34 PM.

#2 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

I completely get what you are talking about and see the same things. Don't know what it is about people that an event makes them go off the rails. I think a lot of people get in a rush to complete the challenge

All of that said, I enjoy free stuff (as do most people). So, to me, I am ok with frequent events. Usually after the first couple of days of the event people settle down.

Additionally, just because other people in my team are acting stupid doesn't mean I have to do the same. I try to capitalize on that stupidity (ie, shooting the crap out of the enemy while they are focused on my team mate because of something dumb they are doing).

Also, I find that even during events playing either earlier in the day or later at night gives more satisfactory results. I am guessing there is a certain prime time player mentality. I see the same sort of dumb behavior even without events happening during prime time, although to a lesser degree.

So, I feel your pain, but I like free stuff. So, in the end, the constant chain of events don't bother me so much. Just like on non-event days I try not to take it too seriously. I don't always succeed, but I try.

Cheers!

#3 Krevvie

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

I can't say I want fewer events, but I will say that some of the current event goals seem to encourage lower-quality play. When the goals were all assault mechs, I won one Domination map by taking my fastest Locust and getting to the target area a full minute before anyone else on either team could (no achievement for a win with zero shots fired on either side, alas,) and when the goals were all light mechs, suddenly every map I took my whale out in was like being the lone adult in a room full of berzerker coked-up second-graders.

This current goal "The Flea", where players have to stay in third-person mode for an entire game over multiple games, has my personal vote for worst ever, in terms of the type of gameplay it encourages. I can't see my maps so I can't really coordinate, I can't really see where I'm shooting a lot of my direct-fire weapons so my accuracy is crap, and enough of my teammates are in the same boat that our overall gameplay is super derpy. (A lot of people seem to be putting their hopes in LRMs for a win as a result, myself included.) The only saving grace here is that sometimes the other side is doing the same thing--but even then, the overall experience is just generally much, much dumber than usual. For example, I went out of 3rd person mode in a match because a whole ball of the other team were doing the third-person goal thing and the best they could do to coordinate was to deathball up behind a mountain in the Alpine map, and we pummelled them without coordinating at all or even having a plan. We won like 12-2 with random peekaboo and the occasional ill-considered charge.

edit: typos and an added sentence

Edited by Krevvie, 03 September 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#4 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostDragoth2594, on 02 September 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

I dont know if im just crazy, but every single day (for the past 2 months) there is always some type of event going on.

Every time i try to play this game people are acting like complete idiots every game, I believe this is due to the fact that EVERY TIME there is an event going on, people, (for some unknown reason) commit THE dumbest tactical moves.

It just gets really annoying when i feel i "have to play this game" because there is an event going on and id like to see some more... serious team play. But the events seem to block that.

P.S. if you think im stupid, pls dont bash my complaining and yell at me, i dont like being "Roasted" in the forums XD and im sure none of you do either.

Your right, i have opted out of playing the last month because there is an assault event where people load up on LRMs, than a Cyclops event (more LRMS) now this new stupid event.

I mean thats like 3 weekends i have not played because of dumb events.

#5 Karone

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostWecx, on 03 September 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

Your right, i have opted out of playing the last month because there is an assault event where people load up on LRMs, than a Cyclops event (more LRMS) now this new stupid event.

I mean thats like 3 weekends i have not played because of dumb events.

Yea it thats another issue is that all the events seem to praise LRMS, especially this whole tagging and narcing event, the only way to get anywhere when playing, is to boat up a couple of lrm 20s and some small pulse lasers to do any real damage.

View PostKrevvie, on 03 September 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

I can't say I want fewer events, but I will say that some of the current event goals seem to encourage lower-quality play. When the goals were all assault mechs, I won one Domination map by taking my fastest Locust and getting to the target area a full minute before anyone else on either team could (no achievement for a win with zero shots fired on either side, alas,) and when the goals were all light mechs, suddenly every map I took my whale out in was like being the lone adult in a room full of berzerker coked-up second-graders.

This current goal "The Flea", where players have to stay in third-person mode for an entire game over multiple games, has my personal vote for worst ever, in terms of the type of gameplay it encourages. I can't see my maps so I can't really coordinate, I can't really see where I'm shooting a lot of my direct-fire weapons so my accuracy is crap, and enough of my teammates are in the same boat that our overall gameplay is super derpy. (A lot of people seem to be putting their hopes in LRMs for a win as a result, myself included.) The only saving grace here is that sometimes the other side is doing the same thing--but even then, the overall experience is just generally much, much dumber than usual. For example, I went out of 3rd person mode in a match because a whole ball of the other team were doing the third-person goal thing and the best they could do to coordinate was to deathball up behind a mountain in the Alpine map, and we pummelled them without coordinating at all or even having a plan. We won like 12-2 with random peekaboo and the occasional ill-considered charge.

edit: typos and an added sentence

I agree, and im not sure what PGI was thinking when they thought giving rewards to people for playing in 3rd person for a whole match is a good idea, and the only build that even works in 3rd person, YEP YOU GUESSED IT, L R M S.

adding 3rd person rewards, narcing and tagging rewards, uav rewards, Is a recipe for A whole 5 days of an LRM hurricane in every match.

View PostSupersmacky, on 03 September 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

I completely get what you are talking about and see the same things. Don't know what it is about people that an event makes them go off the rails. I think a lot of people get in a rush to complete the challenge

All of that said, I enjoy free stuff (as do most people). So, to me, I am ok with frequent events. Usually after the first couple of days of the event people settle down.

Additionally, just because other people in my team are acting stupid doesn't mean I have to do the same. I try to capitalize on that stupidity (ie, shooting the crap out of the enemy while they are focused on my team mate because of something dumb they are doing).

Also, I find that even during events playing either earlier in the day or later at night gives more satisfactory results. I am guessing there is a certain prime time player mentality. I see the same sort of dumb behavior even without events happening during prime time, although to a lesser degree.

So, I feel your pain, but I like free stuff. So, in the end, the constant chain of events don't bother me so much. Just like on non-event days I try not to take it too seriously. I don't always succeed, but I try.

Cheers!

I definitely understand where you are coming from, and i am never going to complain about getting free items in game, its just all the events seem to do is praise LRM boats, 6 mechs with lrms, a bunch of dumb brawlers suicide diving for kills, just ruins the whole purpose of "teamplay" in my opinion.

Edited by Dragoth2594, 03 September 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#6 thearticulategrunt

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

For me it is not even the frequency of events, it is the short time frame. I work predominantly weekends, friday to monday unless an emergency cover call comes in. Half the time I see an event get posted, look at the time frame it is running, calculate the time needed to accomplish anything and just sign off to go do something else because people are just going to be doing stupid crap for the event prizes and it is just not long enough for me to have a chance in hell. Take the newest one with the "10 hours" in game play. In the short set period and my work schedule, not happening, period. Now if they started making events 2 weeks long, say a thursday, through the following week to the 2nd tuesday I'd be able, but this over the weekend crap. The number of events left with red Xs instead of green checks on my record tells the tale there by itself. Not happening and discouraging.

#7 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

View Postthearticulategrunt, on 04 September 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

For me it is not even the frequency of events, it is the short time frame. I work predominantly weekends, friday to monday unless an emergency cover call comes in. Half the time I see an event get posted, look at the time frame it is running, calculate the time needed to accomplish anything and just sign off to go do something else because people are just going to be doing stupid crap for the event prizes and it is just not long enough for me to have a chance in hell. Take the newest one with the "10 hours" in game play. In the short set period and my work schedule, not happening, period. Now if they started making events 2 weeks long, say a thursday, through the following week to the 2nd tuesday I'd be able, but this over the weekend crap. The number of events left with red Xs instead of green checks on my record tells the tale there by itself. Not happening and discouraging.

I can agree with this. Make events at least a week long running from Monday to Monday (or Tuesday to Tuesday, etc). If the event is more complex and involved (like the current one) add a week to the event.

#8 Krevvie

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

I do feel the need to stress that I have paid money for this game, I like free things in games, and I enjoy the events in general quite a bit. The all-third-person goal in this last event did get to me, though.

#9 thearticulategrunt

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

View PostKrevvie, on 07 September 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

I do feel the need to stress that I have paid money for this game, I like free things in games, and I enjoy the events in general quite a bit. The all-third-person goal in this last event did get to me, though.

Free stuff is great, my only complaint is the lack of fore thought that creates a situation where members of the community literally, regardless of skill, do not have the time within the limited time frame set for the event to even try and earn said rewards. That's all from my point of view.

#10 Krevvie

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

For what it's worth, I had that problem, too. I put a lot of time into this game last weekend by my standards (job, wife, two kids) and didn't come close to the "10 hours of game time" goal.

#11 Mokey

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

While time played events are an annoyance they are still worth while for the people who do activley play, A LOT. But I can see the other side of the argument.

What I don't agree with is, less events. If you already don't have enough time to do time played events when you don't have events while you are online, you're only going to be more annoyed.

The events are nice and add some fun to the game. While also getting some cosmetic items. You can't cater to everyone, so either way it's a loss for both active and semi-active players.

Edited by Mokey, 08 September 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#12 Kerafyrm

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:02 AM

While I hated a few things from this current event, I was overall ok with it as I was able to get to try a few things like NARC/Tag and found that I did not like Tag at all. I picked and chose what I felt like I can finish and did it that way. Skipped 3rd person view after it not counting 2 games where I know I should've gotten it. It was easier to get kills because of the event I think because a ton of people would run streaks/LRMs in combination to 3rd person view. The completionist part of me hated that I was not able to finish everything, but MWO has been training me on this with CW events :D.

#13 Krevvie

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Just wanted to follow up on some of my comments here by noting that the new event seems like it nicely adjusts for what we were discussing here. Thanks for paying attention and love the game!

#14 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

Keep the events coming! I like free sfuff.

#15 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

Viva La Free Stuff, thx
Posted Image

#16 JadeWolf01

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBoise Idaho

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

I like free stuff as much as the next guy and I put my money on the table when there are things I want to purchase. Unfortunately I am a casual gamer who plays between work, family and going to collage. So 2-3 hours a week. I looked at this last event and realized that I wouldn't have time to acquire any of the achievements. Too many repetitions needed for my skill level and the time I can currently invest. I hate to see events turn into time traps that only allow prizes by playing for hours on end all weekend for players like me, or prizes for players who are highly skilled and can accomplish the achievements in a relatively shorter time period.

#17 Seddrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

I like free stuff also, but events are often too often and detracts from game play (changes the way people play).

Maybe one event a month, that lasts 2 weeks of time to give casual people time to complete it? That wouldn't be so bad.

Edited by Seddrik, 20 September 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#18 Alphaeus

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

I can't decide whether I agree that there are "too many events" or that events occur too frequently. Maybe. Maybe not. Not sure.

One thing I have noticed is who's doing the complaining about events. Last night it was a player in an Awesome sporting 3 LRM 15s, 1 Large Pulse Laser, and a TAG. As we dropped he took over the air for about thirty seconds explaining his build and what he wanted the rest of us in QP to do, which amounted to using the 'R' button and keeping visual on whatever we'd locked. As the game went south he began to complain about "stupid events" saying that when this one is over "we can all go back to normal play." In other words, the griping was coming from the fact that events forced him out of his missile-boater play style. My two cents: GOOD. And if all he wants to do is missile boat and not hone his tactics, then he can either work around events or go find a game that allows him to play in that sort of mindless, indirect-fire way.

But this is a thinking player's shooter... or so I've heard.

Edited by Alphaeus, 25 September 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#19 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:22 PM

Free stuff, extra C-Bills. I guess some people have a problem with it. Can't be helped. There will always be those who will reject a Free Car with a Million bucks in the trunk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users