39 replies to this topic

#1 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

So, the Ice Ferret, one of the Clans' many forgotten mechs, is considered bad. With the advent of the Viper, however, perhaps the 40 tonner might not be quite as bad as it used to be. The build that I have been testing on the PTS is this.

Mercurius

This build may be pretty much a stock build, but, everything considered, its not a bad build.
If you feel that a better build is in order, please share your opinions in the comments below.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

The Ice Ferret hasn't been bad for a fairly long time. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. Since it got some substantially tanky quirks and shrunk a bit, it's been quite sturdy and capable of packing a good number of Large Lasers Clan ER Medium Lasers.

#3 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

A/C: 5ERML
D: 5SPL
B: 3ERML+2SRM4A plays kinda funky fun.
Prime (lol): 4MPL (hot) oooooorrrrrrr 2ERML+2MPL (more DHS, and or TC) either plays like an oversized TDK.

Also, spot-check for the OP: IFR's a 45-tonner Posted Image

Edited by Virlutris, 02 September 2016 - 08:44 PM.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 02 September 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

A/C: 5ERML
D: 5SPL
B: 3ERML+2SRM4A plays kinda funky fun. [built like this]
Prime (lol): 4MPL (hot) oooooorrrrrrr 2ERML+2MPL (more DHS, and or TC) either plays like an oversized TDK.

Also, spot-check for the OP: IFR's a 45-tonner Posted Image

Basically, the D should run 5SPLs, the Prime should run 4MPL if you have to level it and all the others should run 5ERML. It's not a complicated robot, but it's a pretty solid one and has been for awhile.

#5 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostTercieI, on 02 September 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

Basically, the D should run 5SPLs, the Prime should run 4MPL if you have to level it and all the others should run 5ERML. It's not a complicated robot, but it's a pretty solid one and has been for awhile.

lol, you quoted me before I pulled the smurfy down.

I pretty much included other options for lulz. It's like you said.

@OP: You can add SRMs of some flavor, it's just far less optimized as builds go. Thus why Terc didn't recommend it. He's got optimization-compulsive dedication. ;) (he's a buddy, I can say this -- I think)

#6 Monster Ultra Zero

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cbd968a90f51b04

#7 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

View PostRootpole, on 03 September 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

That's the build I ran for the recent medium leaderboard (except I had less head armour and more leg armour. best fun mech in the game)
The IFR is soo underrated. I've logged more than 3 times as long in the IFR-D as I have in any other mech according to my profile.

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostStormie, on 03 September 2016 - 02:40 AM, said:

That's the build I ran for the recent medium leaderboard (except I had less head armour and more leg armour. best fun mech in the game)
The IFR is soo underrated. I've logged more than 3 times as long in the IFR-D as I have in any other mech according to my profile.

im stealing that build.

#9 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c7b615224658b7a

The almighty Ice Ferret shower ! Ok i'm just kiddin...

#10 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

View PostAleski, on 23 September 2016 - 01:36 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c7b615224658b7a

The almighty Ice Ferret shower ! Ok i'm just kiddin...

If you want to make it rain with the Fridge then make it rain. Just use those 16 volleys carefully.

#11 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

I'm a fan of 3x SRM4, 2x SLas. Alternatively, 2x SRM4 (arms), 1x SRM6 (torso), 2x ERSLas. Simple, but hits hard enough, often enough that it can very quickly whittle away a target.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 September 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#12 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:51 AM

4 medium pulse lasers CSRM 2 with half ton of ammo. I hadn't played this mech in a while but I started picking it up randomly over the last few weeks and can consistently get scores of 400- 700. This mech can either run with the lights or can be great support for heavier mechs engaged in a fight. As long as you are remembering to not be the main target of the engagement, you can really do some damage in this thing.

#13 RisingStar

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

The Ice Ferret is one of my favourite mechs and I have several builds:
1. 1 ERPPC + 2 ERSL or 1 ERML - The (almost) infinite fire fast ERPPC. Probably the most versatile and most fun if you can dictate engagement range. ERML gives extra DPS at medium ranges and ERSL are better for fighting lights.
2. 4 MPL - Probably the most fun if you can get up close.
3. 4 or 5 ERML - Trade laser duration for better range and heat control.
4. 2 ERLL - When you want to snipe like a Raven. Quite heat efficient. Bigger, no ECM, but more tanky.
5. 1 UAC2 + 2 ERML - Drop the AMS for an extra 1.5 tons of UAC ammo. Crazy build but can be a lot of fun.
I know a lot of people like the short range builds (SPL, ERSL, SRM) but I just can't seem to do well in those.

#14 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

Ice Ferret I did a long time ago but it was by far not horrible sure bit limited on tonnage for weaponry bu for speed it needs big engine.

Keep to smaller faster firing weapons and learn to drive by attack and will do pretty well people have a hard time hitting something moving as fast as it does. Since it got smaller its even in a better place.

Small and medium Laser and for big punch SRM's. If more a sniper stick to ERPPC;s they are much harder to find and counter then lasers that give you away instantly.

#15 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

I just bought this mech, and found a good build with 3 SRM 6 and a CER med laser.

#16 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I just bought the IFR-D and wish I bought one months ago.

I only have 4 skill points on it. No radar derp or speed tweak yet. I have been running just 3 mpls with one in each arm and one CT. I tried the 4 mpl build. I hated the heat but I can fire all 3 all day, even on Tourmaline. I run the mpls for more range to skirmish until I get speed tweak. After that I may switch to the 5 spl build... may not.

#17 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

I tried using the 3 mpl build in scouting and it just doesnt have the punch needed. Range isnt really needed in those matches so I switched to the 5 spl build with the extra heatsink and it made a huge difference in that game mode.

#18 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

View PostGibson Ibanez, on 22 June 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

I tried using the 3 mpl build in scouting and it just doesnt have the punch needed. Range isnt really needed in those matches so I switched to the 5 spl build with the extra heatsink and it made a huge difference in that game mode.

I found the 4 spl + 1 mpl build to be a little more effective. You've got that extra bit of range to at least slap at enemies while closing and while you are brawling, you've got a meaner punch all while keeping really good heat efficiency. It takes a long time before you'll over heat that thing.

#19 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 22 June 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

I found the 4 spl + 1 mpl build to be a little more effective. You've got that extra bit of range to at least slap at enemies while closing and while you are brawling, you've got a meaner punch all while keeping really good heat efficiency. It takes a long time before you'll over heat that thing.

Great idea. I will try that one because I REALLY love c-mpls. Thanks.

#20 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:26 AM

I played the IFR since the day it came out, and it is by far my favorite medium, for a whole host of reasons.

Longevity, The IFR has the highest possible combination of speed and HP of any mech in the game, add in the excellent torso hitboxes and you have the most survivable mech in the game IMO.

Threat Profile, the IFR have rep for being undergunned, so you are likely to be less of a priority target, use this to get behind the enemy mechs and core them from the rear, 3xSRM6 is more than decent for the job.

Hardpoint and tonnage limitations, as noted by the last couple of posters the IFR tends to run hot if you load it with weapons, the solution is simple, dont, as long as you maintain a high alpha strike (hint hint SRMS) you should not worry about heat, if you are using your limited tonnage on Heatsinks ever, rebuild.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users