I Hate The Draw System

65 replies to this topic

#1 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:23 PM

I've been playing this game almost since the beginning. I think generally most revisions have been positive (particularly Ghost Heat). I hate the energy draw system. I can't even understand what problem it's trying to solve. It's supposed to address energy boating but it seems to nerf ballistics hard. I guess if you pay competitively, it may do something for you, but for us PUGs, it just makes the game more frustrating.

I've never said this before, but I would stop playing this game if they implement this.

#2 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

It is not intended target Nerf any particular weapon system. It would is to reduce high alphas like my 92 plus dire wolf alpha that incurs no penalties. In doing so they hope to make varried builds more viable. My bracket firing builds work much better under ed than on live so I think the testing is going in the right direction. People will always boat but hopefully it will no longer be the only way to play.

I hate posting on my phone sorry about the typos break is over and not time to fix.

#3 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostCementi, on 04 September 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

It is not intended target Nerf any particular weapon system. It would is to reduce high alphas like my 92 plus dire wolf alpha that incurs no penalties. In doing so they hope to make varried builds more viable. My bracket firing builds work much better under ed than on live so I think the testing is going in the right direction. People will always boat but hopefully it will no longer be the only way to play.

I hate posting on my phone sorry about the typos break is over and not time to fix.

Your 92 alpha Dire Wolf is a joke.

#4 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

Actually it's a turtle no matter what build you put on it so I never play it. I also forget what the exact alpha on it was I know it was in the 90's. The point is that any alpha that high is almost as big of a joke as someone thinking getting to tier 1 is an accomplishment and that their opinions matter more than others.

Edited by Cementi, 04 September 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#5 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 04 September 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

Your 92 alpha Dire Wolf is a joke.

But my 110 kodiak isn't. GH and ED were both designed to limit the maximum alpha being generated by a given mech, regardless of damage type. The only thing is that GH failed spectacularly at that purpose, whereas ED succeeds. People don't seem very happy about that, but so what? ED works far better for the purpose GH was originally intended for, and cannot be gamed the same way GH could.

#6 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

View PostCementi, on 04 September 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Actually it's a turtle no matter what build you put on it so I never play it. I also forget what the exact alpha on it was I know it was in the 90's. The point is that any alpha that high is almost as big of a joke as someone thinking getting to tier 1 is an accomplishment and that their opinions matter more than others.

Hes not saying its impossible. He is saying it is a bad build.

#7 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

View PostMercworks, on 04 September 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

I've never said this before, but I would stop playing this game if they implement this.

Then you can stop right now, they never changed course in the past after announcing something.

I share your POW anyway.

#8 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

Did you try your builds in the PTS3 already before you started to hate ED?

And stating that it will make pug games more frustrating,...I'd say it will do the opposite and help make pugs survive longer and that they can play some crazy builds now if they like and are NOT GIMPING themselves or their team by NOT BRINGING META ONLY.

What builds are affected the worst by ED that you need to quit playing a game for?
We can test them out in the PTS3, or record some videos for you.

#9 Zionkan

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

There will be a new meta and the new will still beat the non meta players.
Bad players will still stand in the open and look @ sky instead of shooting and will most likely be killed in maybe 2 seconds more.
It adds only another hud element that newbies will not use infight or if used leads only to distraction and fast kills.
And yea i tested it and cannot find a reason to implement it.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

Look the ED system has lots of inconsequences. I don't care about specific builds but about the goal to arrive and the path they have chosen.

It started to be a simpler system that encourage mixed builds. But I had the opinion right from the first second that this is flawed. And when you look at the latest patch - it seems to encourage even more boating.

Speaking of the Large Laser - oh well yes it got a nerf as a single weapon - so having just one or two large lasers sucks now - but hey mount 5-6 of them and you see the beauty

I'm out of metaphors to describe the issue anymore. I think there are three flaws in the underlying system:
  • Armor distribution
  • Damage/Range
  • Heat/Ammunition
no covering system will ever be able to fix it.

And I bet that ED won't help any newb to live longer. Maybe they have 1-2sec more to regret their mistakes but thats it. Maybe nothing changes because when you think you last longer on the PTS its because of 4vs4 - 8vs8 or 12vs12 is a complete other thing.
Instead of buffing the newbs its nerfing them - because a mistake and staring into 4 targets won't give them the firepower to made some dent in their armor before they die.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 05 September 2016 - 02:21 AM.

#11 Zionkan

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:24 AM

Will be funny to see newbies using clan champion mechs... shutdown every 5 seconds :)

#12 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:23 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 05 September 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

they can play some crazy builds now if they like and are NOT GIMPING themselves or their team by NOT BRINGING META ONLY.

This is not the case. There will be a new meta and not taking it will still gimp your team, maybe even more so since lower TTK means it's harder to do anything about snowballing.

#13 April Showers

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:34 AM

if you actually think this will gimp the skilled players from ripping out center torso after center torso in concentrated fire, your just not getting it.

nice. now i need to stagger or link gauss and large lasers in groups ? kidding me hard, huh ? ;)
it just shifts meta and thats it.

#14 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:54 AM

pts 1 meta?? gauss and lpl
pts 2 meta?? ac and lpl
pts 3 meta?? erppc.

All you need is basic reading comprehension to understand whats gonna change with such big scale changes like they introduce in this pts...

All of this during the time where staple build of gh aka 2lpl 6 mlas clan laservomit wasnt meta anymore... being clearly outclassed by uac10 boating, gauss + erppc assaults and whatever quirks you brought on is...

Gh was pretty balanced and dont get me wrong idea of having bandaid system against alphas was ********(and the same applies to ed...), but the biggest balance problems of gh were lurms and lbx which arent addressed by ed and hardpoint locations and hitboxes which simply cant be fixed by such system...

Edited by davoodoo, 05 September 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#15 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostRouken Vordermark, on 04 September 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Hes not saying its impossible. He is saying it is a bad build.

And he's being an a** about it.

Truth is, the build might not be optimal, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. You don't even know what weapons are on it, Rouken.

And even if it is bad, calling someone's bad build 'a joke' is just inflammatory. If he's going to be inflammatory, then he doesn't need another user to come save him from return fire criticism.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 05 September 2016 - 07:58 AM.

#16 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 05 September 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

Did you try your builds in the PTS3 already before you started to hate ED?

And stating that it will make pug games more frustrating,...I'd say it will do the opposite and help make pugs survive longer and that they can play some crazy builds now if they like and are NOT GIMPING themselves or their team by NOT BRINGING META ONLY.

What builds are affected the worst by ED that you need to quit playing a game for?
We can test them out in the PTS3, or record some videos for you.

Lol Shadowcat 1x ECM, 1x cERPPC, 2x Streak 4. Works fabulously on Live, PPC CD too long to function properly in close quarters on PTS 3. I'm going to stay if this goes live (because my other two favorite mechs still work), but I sure will say I can understand why the OP is salty.

#17 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 05 September 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

And he's being an a** about it.

Truth is, the build might not be optimal, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. You don't even know what weapons are on it, Rouken.

And even if it is bad, calling someone's bad build 'a joke' is just inflammatory. If he's going to be inflammatory, then he doesn't need another user to come save him from return fire criticism.

Yeah but he makes it sound like his 92 alpha Dire Wolf not being penalized is a cause of some fundamental flaw with the game. The truth is that it is penalized, more heavily than he might actually think.

And what's wrong with being an аss?

Edited by kapusta11, 05 September 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#18 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 05 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

Yeah but he makes it sound like his 92 alpha Dire Wolf not being penalized is a cause of some fundamental flaw with the game. The truth is that it is penalized, more heavily than he might actually think.

I agree it probably is. This game is actually pretty well balanced on live. I don't expect that there is any reliable method he could be using to deliver 92 damage to a single component, but hey I havn't seen it. I'm not saying I agree with the guy, I'm decidedly against ED, I'm just saying reaming on him isn't necessary.

View Postkapusta11, on 05 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

And what's wrong with being an аss?

Kindof an abstract question, how deep do you want to go? On the surface it's generally not a trait people consider likable, but so long as you love yourself I guess that's really what matters in the long run. If you want me to give you an objective thing that's wrong with being an a** I guess I could say it is disrupts social harmony without much benefit in return?

I don't need to be scientist to know you probably don't care, and that's not to say I think social harmony is more important than personal freedoms. It's just an answer.

Sufficient?

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 05 September 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#19 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

Running a dual 20LBX, dual PPC direwolf with a 60 point alpha.

Good enough for me, an alpha with every shot

#20 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 04 September 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Then you can stop right now, they never changed course in the past after announcing something.

They ditched info-war last year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users