42 replies to this topic

#1 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

I've just put together another tech demo video of PixelMek, the game featuring Pixel Mech artwork from Alistair Winter and Luscious Dan. Game elements are now starting to be added so I thought I'd share more of my progress, enjoy!

UPDATE 12/28/2016: The first playable release is available!
UPDATE 1/27/2017: Version 0.2 has been released!
https://github.com/h...releases/latest

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 27 January 2017 - 07:06 PM.

#2 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:35 PM

Holy hell that is an awesome looking little pixel-art game. Is there anywhere to follow this more closely or should we just be keeping an eye on this thread?

#3 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:37 PM

View PostSereglach, on 08 September 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

Holy hell that is an awesome looking little pixel-art game. Is there anywhere to follow this more closely or should we just be keeping an eye on this thread?

This thread for news, videos, and releases, or the GitHub project page for every single thing I do!

https://github.com/harbdog/pixelmek

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 08 September 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#4 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:48 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 08 September 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

This thread for news, videos, and releases, or the GitHub project page for every single thing I do!

https://github.com/harbdog/pixelmek

Thank you for the information, and again, incredibly awesome work. I really look forward to seeing this develop.

#5 N F X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 691 posts
  • Location48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

Amazing! So much possibilities :D If you ever get to a point where everything technical is working i would love to see a Singeplayer Campaign for this Posted Image

#6 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Nice work! Fun to see the little mechs you drew move :D

#7 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:29 AM

Cool work, reminds me a lot of Crescent Hawk's Inception game.

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:13 AM

View PostN F X, on 10 September 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Amazing! So much possibilities Posted Image If you ever get to a point where everything technical is working i would love to see a Singeplayer Campaign for this Posted Image

My goal is to release as soon as possible with simple standalone battles, though after that would love to keep it going in the direction of a campaign!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 14 September 2016 - 04:13 AM.

#9 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

A question, if you don't mind: What ruleset are you using for a basis for the mechs in the game? Looking at the armor and structure of the mechs it looks like you're using Alpha Strike conversions (awesome if you are, by the way, I love Alpha Strike).

#10 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostSereglach, on 14 September 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

A question, if you don't mind: What ruleset are you using for a basis for the mechs in the game? Looking at the armor and structure of the mechs it looks like you're using Alpha Strike conversions (awesome if you are, by the way, I love Alpha Strike).

Correct, it is Alpha Strike! I've never actually played a game using Alpha Strike rules (though I did watch one on YouTube once) so I'm having to go just off of the books I bought.

Basically after all the work I had done for RogueMek using the standard BattleTech rules I found that it was a lot of extra coding to do (crit slots, separate armor/internal for each section, more complex heat penalties) and that alpha strike should be a lot easier and quicker to code, and to convey in the UI to the player. But also I think it suits the presentation of the game better anyway Posted Image

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 14 September 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#11 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 14 September 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

Correct, it is Alpha Strike! I've never actually played a game using Alpha Strike rules (though I did watch one on YouTube once) so I'm having to go just off of the books I bought.

Basically after all the work I had done for RogueMek using the standard BattleTech rules I found that it was a lot of extra coding to do (crit slots, separate armor/internal for each section, more complex heat penalties) and that alpha strike should be a lot easier and quicker to code, and to convey in the UI to the player. But also I think it suits the presentation of the game better anyway Posted Image

AWESOME! Alpha Strike is a lot of fun to play, btw, and you can do MASSIVE battles in very reasonable time. Regardless, if you follow the rules thoroughly for your game, you'll see how Alpha Strike makes the game have much better balance vs. standard Battletech (lights become useful!).

If you have a second printing (with the errata already added) or the Alpha Strike Companion book, the rules for variable damage will also work great for the game. For TT play it makes the battles have just the extra bit of grit needed to feel much more in-depth . . . and adds some more variance so lighter mechs (I say that loosely, since there are some mechs that can wipe out heavies in a single volley under basic Alpha Strike rules) aren't always a guaranteed one-shot when hit by the heavy damage-dealers.

#12 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Never played Alpha Strike, I always intend to learn sometime but never got around to ordering a book.

#13 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostSereglach, on 14 September 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

AWESOME! Alpha Strike is a lot of fun to play, btw, and you can do MASSIVE battles in very reasonable time.

I can already see that! The video of 12v10 is over in 10 minutes!!!

View PostSereglach, on 14 September 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

If you have a second printing (with the errata already added) or the Alpha Strike Companion book, the rules for variable damage will also work great for the game.

Not sure if I have the second printing, would need to check that, but I do have the Companion. I'm definitely interested in having the variable damage, and probably also the variable To-Hit based on actual "inches" moved rather than a static amount. Most likely I'll have both of those as toggles so you can pick which you want to play with Posted Image

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 14 September 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Ha! That's kind of cool. well done!

But will there be a Faction Play enhancement 90 days after closed beta?

#15 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 14 September 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Not sure if I have the second printing, would need to check that, but I do have the Companion. I'm definitely interested in having the variable damage, and probably also the variable To-Hit based on actual "inches" moved rather than a static amount. Most likely I'll have both of those as toggles so you can pick which you want to play with Posted Image

That would be awesome to have some of the optional rules as toggles in the game settings.

Whether you have the second printing of the core book or not, most of the stuff that's put into the core book was put into the companion, first (just some rules errata and corrections that aren't . . . so it might be worth looking into the errata and compare . . . unless you have electronic versions of the books, because you should be able to download the newest printings for free). It was later decided to add some of those things (like variable damage) to the core book because they were considered just that "necessary" and popular of optional rules for the core game.

#16 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostSereglach, on 14 September 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

t was later decided to add some of those things (like variable damage) to the core book because they were considered just that "necessary" and popular of optional rules for the core game.

Ah ok, yeah I don't think my core book mentions the variable stuff

#17 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

Love all this pixel art stuff you 3 are doing! You guys should do Creative Twitch stream while working on them!

#18 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 15 September 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

Love all this pixel art stuff you 3 are doing! You guys should do Creative Twitch stream while working on them!

An interesting idea... I'd have to pick a good feature to code that wouldn't be too boring to see the end result of Posted Image

Although I could at least just show the process of slicing up their pixel art to make it animated. I'm thinking of doing the Bushwhacker next, maybe I'll do it for that!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 15 September 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#19 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 15 September 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

An interesting idea... I'd have to pick a good feature to code that wouldn't be too boring to see the end result of Posted Image Although I could at least just show the process of slicing up their pixel art to make it animated. I'm thinking of doing the Bushwhacker next, maybe I'll do it for that!

Hahaha some of our Devs who do creative streams run into the same issue too. They have to work on the little details that sometimes isn't very entertaining to watch for an hour+, so they plan out their schedule to stream when they get to a certain step of their work (and allowed to show it!). You'll find you will get a few students that study for the game industry jump into the stream chat asking process and software questions too, so not only MechWarriors will appear~
Although if you end up streaming this, (especially the Bushwacker!!) let me know! We'll give you some giveaway codes and tweet outs. I'm sure a few Devs here would be interested in watching too.

#20 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Glad people are liking the Bushie I did up :) As for a twitch creative stream, I often chip away at mechs throughout the day when I'm at work, a few minutes here or there in between tasks. Boss might not like it if I streamed to twitch while on the clock lol :)

I'll look into getting a stream setup though, I paint miniatures as well and a stream of that could be fun too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users