Widows Regards - Tales of the Wolf Spider Battalion

2 replies to this topic

#1 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

This thread will document the story and happenings of the Wolf Spiders during the offset time line of Mechwarrior Online. This post is reserved for additional comments in the future. I hope to convey further information about our unit, it's characters, and the Inner Sphere through the eyes of our faction via personal logs, statements, and short stories.

Edited by John Clavell, 29 December 2011 - 04:24 AM.

#2 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

11 December - 3048 (Personal Log: Cpt. John Clavell)

We've been sitting here on Remus for the last thirteen years, we've gotten good at chewing out rookies and wiping *****. I guess it's the same routine, but now, well, now all the line regiments are on planet. We'll get to see how the old boys like facing up against points and stars, all that stuff to some must seems a million years away. I'm surprised our Lady or the brass let us ship out to Harlech to raise the town at all considering. I guess they expect us to work double time getting all the Dragoons in shape for the coming storm. I'm going to make sure I drink enough Martini to keep me going for another few *** **** months. I fully expect Simon Fraser to have his womanly advances out flanked as per usual, it's always good for moral when he gets a slap across the face. As much as I love the man, he's not getting any younger, and he sure don't look pretty. Lucky for us, we get to leave the kiddies at home this time. Plenty of Dragoons to baby sit them now. I'm hoping the Lady will join us, I've not seen her for the last 24 hours, I assume she's having a swell party bringing all the regimental commanders up to speed. I'm sure she'll come find us, she's never one to miss out on a bit of trouble.

#3 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

31st December - 3048

Beyond the reinforced glass of his cockpit, that cocoon, which like armour of old, protected the wearer from his foes. An imposing outline slowly emerged from the sandstorm engulfed ridge some 100 meters ahead. The man like silhouette shimmered as the sands danced like cloth in the strong gusts of wind, which had picked up speed across the flat, lowland plains.

The figure at such distances and with little else other than rolling dunes and grass covered banks of dirt for physical reference, might of led younger, less experienced pilots to dismiss it for but a man. However, no man, no matter how foolish, would have ventured into such a natural hell.

With determined force, Johns left foot kicked out, the metal foot plate slamming against the drop-out restrictor, the sound of which only dimmed by the growl and violent resonance of the cockpit as his Firefly Battlemech rocketed sideways.

As if contained within but a single moment in time, a flash of blue light, followed by a bolt of super hot energy shot forth as if an arrow from a bow. The sheer heat of the blast turning the surrounding sand, which ebbed and flowed, encircled in the air currents, into molten glass and gas on contact. That shadowy figure watching, unflinchingly, as the lighting bolt exploded at the very position the Firefly had occupied but a fraction of time previous.

Fighting against the G-forces of being launched sideways by the cataclysmic explosive force unleashed by the Fireflys jump jets, John Clavell notched his stick right. He fought to keep his reticule on the man like shadow. Falling, John kicked in the hot streams of vented plasma again, his head jared against his helmet, hitting the back of the seat he was strapped into. He quickly anticipated the counter force required to land on the hard, unforgiving ground approaching beneath.

The flying metal beast hit the ground running. Having covered much of the distance between their original position, that shadowy figured could no longer hide behind the shifting sands which had at first concealed it. The cold metallic lines dismissed any notion of organic flesh.

John pushed his throttle open, the swell of heat from the Mechs fusion reactor engulfing the cockpit like a wave breaking on the shore, letting him know the war machine pushed itself forward. A quick glance at the speed readings confirmed as much, while the Mech began flanking right into a lose turn. He watched as the a posing metal knight stood off, backing up into an aggressive, defensive stance, as if a dog backed into an ally. John let loose a small volley of destructive light, arching out towards the enemy Battlemech. The lasers glancing across its armoured skin.

Darting left, in an attempted to dodge incoming fire, John broke the concentrated silence. "echo-two, this is echo-one. Opfor contact established. Forward and probing elements of Charlie in sector H3, advise, over."

John checked his IFF tags, when beyond his visual range, sporadic fire coming from behind the enemy Enforcer, medium class Mech, rocked his Firefly as if an earthquake erupted under his feet. He compensated quickly, a sign of his skill and experience, narrowly avoiding his Battlemech stumbling into a fall. The rear arc medium lasers blasted a further volley towards the Enforcer. Though going wide, it was enough to force the enemy Battlemech to change direction and buy him valuable seconds.

From beyond the blur of wind swept sands, a larger mound appeared left of the Fireflys position. John ducted and punched his Battlemech with grace not befitting its bulk and weight in that very direction. A husky female voice crackled to life in his ears. "echo-one, this is echo-actual. Set fire mission for H3, and move your company to sector G5. Echo-two will provide cover fire. Over."

"Affirmative echo-actual. Echo-one enroute to sector G5, over and out" John confirmed. His left hand reached for the far panel in his cockpit sending the fire data via communication relay to the second company, 'Tarantulas'. His vision focused on the segment in his rear arc, the Enforcer fading back into the sands as the distance between them grew. Before it fully sunk back into the yellow and orange shimmering shadows, he could see the indirect long ranged missiles peppering the enemy Enforcer and its surroundings. While inaccurate, it was an effective distraction, allowing John to manoeuvre his Battlemech for cover, disrupting the line of sight between them.

Taking the opportunity, John turned his channel switch and checked in his transmit button. "Wolf Spiders, this is echo-one leader. Set incoming nav points, move towards sector G5. Keep visual and IFF checks, effective visual range is 105 meters. Don't get strung out people! Over and out."

Using the battle grid computer in his Firefly, John was able to set suitable way points for the companies three lances. The data would be transmitted to all the Battlemechs in the company, allowing each lance to meet up and move towards their new objective.

The forward elements of Charlie seemed way off in Johns professional opinion. The sandstorm was the obvious factor, but he knew Colonel Kerensky was going to chew whoever had been foolish enough to move that far ahead, into Echo's forward line, out. Some of the kiddies, as John and others within the Wolf Spiders officers had dubbed them, we're not used to the extra pressure passing events had manifested.

Before intel of Clan movement had started to circulate in the command staff, Natasha would not of pushed them so hard. But now, well now the reality was setting in. We had to be ready, rookies and vet's alike. No mistakes. John liked to shrug the thoughts of such things off, more so in front of the men and women under his command. However, the reality was like opening a letter you'd hidden away and forgotten about, it was not going to go away. His mind filled with brash thoughts, and found himself sniggering behind his neuro-helmet. No time to think about the unknown, all that matters is the now. Warriors sanding their blades to a razor edge before the storm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users