Sept 16 Pts 5 Testing

6 replies to this topic

#1 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

Just downloaded the patch and jumped onto Terra Therma testing grounds to see how the latest PTS build stacked up against the last one.

My first impression is that this is better. It is not nearly as restrictive as the last build but it does control Alphas on the two Mechs that I use as a baseline.

Nova : 6 x cMPL, 7 Double Heat Sinks (3 Ext) and Targeting Computer MKl

Moving Alpha took me to 92% heat. Following the Alpha with 3xcMPL off of cooldown took me to 99% heat but no shutdown. I could then alternate the weapon groups with 3 MPL and ride the heat limit if I waited about 1 second off of cooldown to fire again.

Firing alternating weapon groups of 3 cMPL while moving from base heat, I was able to fire one group after another 5 times before I got an overheat warning.

Hellbringer : 1 x cUAC20 / 4 cERML, 7 Double Heat Sinks (4 Ext), ECM and Targeting Computer MKl

Moving Alpha took me to 83% heat. I was able to then follow the Alpha up immediately off of cooldown with the UAC20 and 1 cERML which resulted in 95% heat. Trying to follow the Alpha with the groupe of 3 cERML resulted in shutdown. Two Alphas resulted in shutdown and CT damage. a third Alpha fired after a shutdown killed the Mech.

After the initial Alpha, I could follow with the UAC20 and single laser repeatedly as they came off cooldown. If I allowed a little more cooldown time then I could mix in the 3 cERML.

I ran two full runs through Terra Therma destroying all 8 Mech while moving and suffered one UAC20 jam. I filled that gap with the MPLs.

I have used these Mech builds with every ED version on PTS to give myself a baseline and impression of the effects of the changes. These are the same builds that I use most often on the live server. Being familiar with them gives me the ability to make solid comparisons with previous versions and GH on the live server before branching out to testing other weapon systems and Mechs.

My first impression is that this build limits the ability to Alpha but allows you to stay in the fight by alternating weapon groups. You can still Alpha once without shutting down. Both the "boat" and "mixed build" I tried for this test were effective. More testing is needed but right now, I like it.

I will squeeze in more testing between college football games tomorrow and some on Sunday (hopefully in groups).

#2 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

I grabbed another mixed loadout build for a bit more testing. This is another build that I use on the live sever often and therefore the effects of the PTS changes are obvious to me.

Hellbringer : 2xcUAC5 / 4cERML, 6 Double Heat Sinks (3 Ext), ECM and Targeting Computer MKl

Moving double tap Alpha took it to 92%. I could fire the UACs off of cooldown continually but to fire the lasers I had to wait 2-3 seconds to keep from shutting down. Firing them immediately off of cooldown after the Alpha resulted in shutdown and CT damage. I set up a third weapon group with just two cERML and was able to fire that after the Alpha without shutting down and with heat going up into the 92% range. The heat was a little more restrictive on this build than the UAC20 build but it uses one less DHS. Firing an double tap Alpha from anything more than base moving heat will result in a shutdown but you can fire UACs almost indefinitely without worrying about overheating.

This build still works well but I think it is pointing to AC and UAC not being very limited by this build. I will load up my Kodiak KDK-3 tomorrow to see what kind of Alphas and DPS it is capable of with this version of ED.

#3 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Tested the Kodiak KDK-3 on Terra Therma testing grounds early morning/late night Sat (Fri).

Kodiak KDK-3 2 x cUAC10 / 2 x cUAC5 3DHS (Int)

The only way I could overheat this thing was to double tap Alpha which took it to 82% heat. Then I could double tap weapon groups to ride the limit or allow it to cool off. Without the Alpha I could alternate double tap weapon groups and the heat stayed around 30%. I experienced three jams of the UAC5s and one for a UAC10 during a run through of all 8 target Mechs.

Kodiak KDK-3 4 x cUAC5 / 4 cERML 4DHS (Int)

Firing an Alpha resulted in 92% heat and warning. Double tapping all the UAC resulted in a overheat and shutdown after 10 shots. During those 10 double taps I experienced 5 weapon jams including two where both left side UAC jammed simultaneously. Had there been no weapon jams, the overheat would have probably been reached in 8 shots. It appears that jams, not heat is the only thing limiting UAC DPS. I would personally like to see the jam chances decreased and a reload mechanism that increases cooldown times based on the number of ballistics equipped.

I still like this iteration of ED. Unfortunately, my PTS testing may be at an end for a while. I will be on the road, without access to MWO, until the end of the month.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostRampage, on 18 September 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

Firing an Alpha resulted in 92% heat and warning.

4 UAC5s and 4 ER MLs = 92% heat? That just sounds wrong from a MechWarrior standpoint.

#5 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 19 September 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

4 UAC5s and 4 ER MLs = 92% heat? That just sounds wrong from a MechWarrior standpoint.

Actually, it is wrong. It is 97% heat and an overheat warning for a 68 damage double tap Alpha strike moving at full speed on Terra Therma. I realized that I had forgot to change out modules when I changed from one build to another so I changed them and did a quick retest. The cooldown rate is improved which would effect the ability to continue firing after the initial Alpha. I could continue with the cUAC5 double taping off of cooldown and riding the heat limit. The lasers generated too much heat unless I let the heat drop to below 75%. If I switched to chain firing the UACs then I could mix in the lasers. I could drop a laser or two for more DHS but I think the heat is manageable as it is. I could also drop engine size and lose speed for a bit more cooling.

No more MWO testing for me now for a couple of weeks.

#6 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostRampage, on 19 September 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Actually, it is wrong. It is 97% heat and an overheat warning for a 68 damage double tap Alpha strike moving at full speed on Terra Therma. I realized that I had forgot to change out modules when I changed from one build to another so I changed them and did a quick retest. The cooldown rate is improved which would effect the ability to continue firing after the initial Alpha. I could continue with the cUAC5 double taping off of cooldown and riding the heat limit. The lasers generated too much heat unless I let the heat drop to below 75%. If I switched to chain firing the UACs then I could mix in the lasers. I could drop a laser or two for more DHS but I think the heat is manageable as it is. I could also drop engine size and lose speed for a bit more cooling.

No more MWO testing for me now for a couple of weeks.

Wait, do your initial "alpha" consisted of double tapping the UACs and firing the lasers at once?

#7 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 19 September 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Wait, do your initial "alpha" consisted of double tapping the UACs and firing the lasers at once?

Yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users