Single Heatsinks Are Mail-In Rebates

11 replies to this topic

#1 Aesthetech

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

What do I mean by that? It's quite simple. I buy a mech, then I just have to take them out of the box (mech), go to the inventory and send them back in for a quick, albeit small rebate on the price of a shiny new mech. It's like shopping on Newegg, except I don't have to send something via snail mail to some 3rd party company that may or may not ever acknowledge that I correctly followed the rebate procedure (or even sent it in).

Tl;dr, SHS are useless outside of a couple very gimmicky builds.

Now what does this have to do with energy draw? Well, ED provides an opportunity to give SHS a bit of a purpose. How so? Consider the following:

For each external SHS, the mech gains a fixed amount of energy. Now how much? I'm not sure. Could be half a point, could be a point, etc. But the applications would be obvious: DHS are for sustained fire of hot weapons/mechs, and SHS allow for bigger alphas at the cost of cooling capacity/efficiency.

If you need some sort of Battletech space fairy science to explain that away, that's easy: as the SHS have less capacity, it takes less energy to pump coolant through them, thus freeing up energy. It makes about as much sense as it taking a damn mana bar to fuel the firing action of a mechanical cannon, but just roll with it, okay?!

Go ham, you crazy mechwarriors.

Edited by Aposiopesis, 18 September 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

My idea was that SHS provide a substantial increase to heat-cap (i.e. 3 per sink). Indirectly, it does the same thing you are proposing by reducing the impact of triggering the penalty rather than by increasing the threshold for triggering the penalty in the first place.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

On the PTS right now, some large mechs can boat the heck out of SHS's very effectively. Laser kodiaks and wubshee's are quite entertaining.

#4 Aesthetech

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 September 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

On the PTS right now, some large mechs can boat the heck out of SHS's very effectively. Laser kodiaks and wubshee's are quite entertaining.

The problem with the current changes to SHS is it does nothing for smaller mechs--it's just an extension of the current system, where a few very particular builds on large mechs can efficiently use SHS. Now just a larger array of energy vomit mechs can do the same thing. It doesn't fix the SHS in lower amounts or at lower tonnages.

Adding a unique mechanic to SHS (increased mana bar size) would be a benefit to basically anything larger than a locust right now (the Locust just can't really carry enough weapons to exceed a 30 point alpha).

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Why even make SHS effective in a post-3050 BT/MW era? As you said, they are like a mail-in rebate.

#6 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 September 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

Why even make SHS effective in a post-3050 BT/MW era? As you said, they are like a mail-in rebate.

Because having useless or mediocre equipment certainly adds depth to a video game, right? We should also keep FF as an inferior upgrade to Endo Steel. There should be as few choices as possible to streamline this FPS we call MechWarrior.

#7 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

View Postcazidin, on 19 September 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

Because having useless or mediocre equipment certainly adds depth to a video game, right? We should also keep FF as an inferior upgrade to Endo Steel. There should be as few choices as possible to streamline this FPS we call MechWarrior.

And we pay for that with actual useful equipment aka dhs nerfs...or lbx clusterjoke...
What will be next?? mrm40 being broken to not obsolete srms??
hag40 being hybrid of clan ac and lbx to not obsolete uac20??
Heavy ppc getting splash because erppc??
rac 50% jam to not obsolete uac??

Still, if its useless, remove it. No ones gonna cry about it being gone... or just keep it.

Edited by davoodoo, 19 September 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#8 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Question, why can't we mix singles and doubles in the same mech?

Is there a lore reason?

It would be nice to fit in singles when you have the weight, but not the space for doubles.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 19 September 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#9 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 September 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

And we pay for that with actual useful equipment aka dhs nerfs...or lbx clusterjoke...
What will be next?? mrm40 being broken to not obsolete srms??
hag40 being hybrid of clan ac and lbx to not obsolete uac20??
Heavy ppc getting splash because erppc??
rac 50% jam to not obsolete uac??

Still, if its useless, remove it. No ones gonna cry about it being gone... or just keep it.

I think you completely misunderstood me. I'm calling for better balance and greater depth, not for one system to obsolete the other. Give SHS a higher capacity but lower dissipation. Give FF 10-15% damage reduction but keep it at a lower weight reduction. This would make the choice more impactful.

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 19 September 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Question, why can't we mix singles and doubles in the same mech?

Is there a lore reason?

It would be nice to fit in singles when you have the weight, but not the space for doubles.

They're incompatible, basically, on TT.

#10 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

View Postcazidin, on 19 September 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

I think you completely misunderstood me. I'm calling for better balance and greater depth, not for one system to obsolete the other. Give SHS a higher capacity but lower dissipation. Give FF 10-15% damage reduction but keep it at a lower weight reduction. This would make the choice more impactful.

No i understood perfectly and what ive mentioned are the potential changes so your idea can happen...

I would rather have shs kept useless and have all mechs start with dhs than to nerf dhs so shs can have potential of being viable.

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 September 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

No i understood perfectly and what ive mentioned are the potential changes so your idea can happen...

I would rather have shs kept useless and have all mechs start with dhs than to nerf dhs so shs can have potential of being viable.

DHS don't have to be nerfed to make SHS viable.

It's really easy.
1. Make engine SHS act like TruDubs.
2. Put external SHS back to 1.0x values because #1 is a really gigantic buff.
3. ???
4. Profit!

#12 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostFupDup, on 19 September 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

DHS don't have to be nerfed to make SHS viable.

It's really easy.
1. Make engine SHS act like TruDubs.
2. Put external SHS back to 1.0x values because #1 is a really gigantic buff.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Only for 10 heat sinks builds and what youll do with capacity mind you trudubs should have 2 capacity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users