Thank Your For Keeping The Gauss

19 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

PGI, thank you for listening to your player base and keeping the Gauss charge mechanic! I really enjoy it in the current state and mostly play my 3-4-gauss builds. I could never complain on the charge mechanic, as it is really something ingenious from you!

Once again, keep the Gauss as it is on live servers now and fix its bug with being unable to fire two Gauss weapons as soon as the remaining Gauss weapons are destroyed.

Edited by Lunatic_Asylum, 22 September 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#2 Frankdark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:57 AM

Thats youre opinion.
The other hate the charge mechanik.
Including me.

Polls show more a 50/50

#3 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:21 AM

View PostFrankdark, on 23 September 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

Thats youre opinion.
The other hate the charge mechanik.
Including me.

Polls show more a 50/50

Couldn't agree more.
Due to the many direct and indirect nerfs to high alpha heavy weapons the Gauss isn't a thing in MWO since it isn't a reliable weapon due to its charge up mechanism.
Also its squishiness (lorewise caused by its capacitors...yea yea those capacitors you have to charge before firing and that normaly cant go boom when not charged dooooh) greatly makes up for all its upsides.
Its heavy, its bulky, its ammo dependant and even though beeing frontload it has too much facetime.

I realy do not think Energy draw will basicaly fix TTK and all the other problems with weapon balancing caused by PGI effin the dmg/time/heat/space ratio of Battletech all over the planet.
But they at least could fix Gauss.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:01 AM

They still nerfed it a fair bit

600M less range
Longer cycle (because +0.75s)

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 September 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

They still nerfed it a fair bit

600M less range
Longer cycle (because +0.75s)

It didn't need triple range, and to be honest it rarely gets used at ranges longer than 800 meters anyway.

I do agree that the extra cool-down is a bit much.

#6 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 23 September 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

It didn't need triple range, and to be honest it rarely gets used at ranges longer than 800 meters anyway.

...I do

I even have 900M 1 shots

#7 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

The charge sequence really should be considered in any decisions regarding the Gauss rifle's cooldown time, yeah.

That said, yes. +1 to retention of charge mechanic. The game does not need a heatless max-range nigh-hitscan AC/20, and the Gauss rifle benefits from behaving differently from other classes of weapons. Corrections for colorblind users do need to be a thing (why doesn't this game have a colorblind mode yet?), but really. Did we not see what happened in the charge-free PTS cycles, where the Gauss utterly, inarguably dominated every single other existing weapon in the entire game?

Snapfire Goose Waffles are bad for MWO. Charge Goose Waffles are more mechanically interesting and also less bad for MWO.

#8 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 September 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

...I do

I even have 900M 1 shots

That is still not the primary mode of operation because, when played well, the layout on most maps precludes it.

#9 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

The charge up mechanic sucks on the PTS, especially with the increased cool down and the fact that it explodes almost instantly. That's a good way to put it back into the dirt again.

#10 Arkroma

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:15 AM

The charge up actually works well with the ED system when you run PPGG on PTS: lead with dual/triple PPC then (wait a split second) start charging gauss, by the time your gauss is fully charged your energy is full again so you can fire gauss as soon as possible without taking penalty.

One thing I don't like the charge up mechanic is that it penalises single gauss builds. Well especially when you can't fire gauss and PPCs at the same time under ED system.

#11 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

I used it op to 1200m with very good hitratios on anything above a light. Now i will use it up to 800m. Thats a 400m nerf.
Plus PPCs have 900m+ optimal range or 1800m max range on a lot of mechs for approx 1/2 of the tonnage, no ammo, no explosions and fewer slots. Sorry Gauss doenst make sense if it isnt king of the sniper weapons range wise. All the penalties you get for carrying it make it a no brainer that you ahve to ahve something good in return.

Edited by Cara Carcass, 29 September 2016 - 05:57 AM.

#12 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

Aside from your pretty incorrect assertion that it "rarely" gets used at ranges longer than 800m (as in, almost every competitive match I've been in where it's long range trading you are often firing Gauss at 1400m at the start) - this is in fact a nerf.

Triple range means the linear drop off at double range is a higher amount of damage than if your max range is just double range.

Here is an illustration:

IS Gauss
Range = 660
Max Range = 1,980

IS AC 2
Range = 720
Max Range = 1,440

Posted Image

As you can see the Gauss Rifle has a damage drop off advantage, which considering it's position as an ultra-heavy weight long range weapon seems fitting.

It doesn't need triple max range?

Then I ask, just what exactly is the Gauss Rifle allowed to be good at?

It's has been nerfed to the point that it is a huge liability at short range.

It has been nerfed to the point that mid-range DPS weapons have a solid advantage.

It will be nerfed to no longer be able to trade at extreme ranges.

Maybe we should just remove it from the game in the constant downward spiral of trying to dumb down gameplay to high TTK, short range, face hugging.

Edited by Ultimax, 29 September 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#13 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostUltimax, on 29 September 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

Aside from your pretty incorrect assertion that it "rarely" gets used at ranges longer than 800m (as in, almost every competitive match I've been in where it's long range trading you are often firing Gauss at 1400m at the start) - this is in fact a nerf.

Triple range means the linear drop off at double range is a higher amount of damage than if your max range is just double range.

Here is an illustration:

IS Gauss
Range = 660
Max Range = 1,980

IS AC 2
Range = 720
Max Range = 1,440

Posted Image

As you can see the Gauss Rifle has a damage drop off advantage, which considering it's position as an ultra-heavy weight long range weapon seems fitting.

It doesn't need triple max range?

Then I ask, just what exactly is the Gauss Rifle allowed to be good at?

It's has been nerfed to the point that it is a huge liability at short range.

It has been nerfed to the point that mid-range DPS weapons have a solid advantage.

It will be nerfed to no longer be able to trade at extreme ranges.

Maybe we should just remove it from the game in the constant downward spiral of trying to dumb down gameplay to high TTK, short range, face hugging.

I almost feel like the range is too low on live servers when i compare my Gauss at 726m optimal range with a range module against my 891m range on the cerppc with said module. it just doesnt make sense to lower the gauss range when the erppc has 330m longer maxrange.
I guess there is a shitload of rank 5, 4 and 3 players that got cought in the open by some gauss shots and they didnt realize its their fault.

#14 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostLunatic_Asylum, on 22 September 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

PGI, thank you for listening to your player base and keeping the Gauss charge mechanic! I really enjoy it in the current state and mostly play my 3-4-gauss builds. I could never complain on the charge mechanic, as it is really something ingenious from you!

Once again, keep the Gauss as it is on live servers now and fix its bug with being unable to fire two Gauss weapons as soon as the remaining Gauss weapons are destroyed.

The only reason people want to keep the charge up is because they believe they will be able to abuse the reduced energy cost on the Gauss when out of energy.

#15 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

View PostRazorfish, on 29 September 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

The only reason people want to keep the charge up is because they believe they will be able to abuse the reduced energy cost on the Gauss when out of energy.

Some of us find the added interaction required to manage the charge to be fun. Like driving a manual sports car versus an paddle-shifted one.

#16 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:11 AM

My main reason for the Charge is to prevent snap-shots.

I also would prefere to have PPCs to charge with faster travel time, so it would not have twitch shooting behaviour, but I can live with the slow projectile as this already prevents that aspect to a certain degree at long range.

PPCs were so easy to hit with in the PPC meta days and Gauss was/is still because of the high velocity.

So now both weapons have only one of the two things that would make them too easy, very fast velocity or instant fire (no charge).
Having a quirked mech with +50% velocity on PPCs can show you how deadly easy it is to hit with non-charged fast projectile.

#17 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:22 PM

I don't fit Gauss on any mechs because it's extremely unpleasant to use chargeable Gauss with my low FPS (and all these FPS drops on new/reworked maps).

#18 Praslek2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

I, for one, absolutely hate the gauss charge mechanic.

#19 John Foster

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:54 AM

Personally, I removed gauss from 90% of my mechs that used them when the charge mechanic was introduced. I use it on exactly 1 mech now...king crab with 3x erl and 2 guass. sounds like that wont be good now either.
I find the charge too ungainly to use in an effective manner. I would not mind it with charge as much IF 2 things happened.

1.Allow us to KEEP the charge after charging it. (Or at least longer than 1 second say up to 10 seconds or so)
2.Remove explosion dmg if the weapon is not charged. makes no sense that an uncharged capacitor still explodes.

The weapon was fine IMO with a long cooldown, heavy weight, and explosion dmg. Give it a low dps by having the long cooldowns, so it loses against brawler dps.

Edited by John Foster, 03 October 2016 - 02:56 AM.

#20 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

I got to learn the charge when the Hunchback had the great quirks and the HBR had the superior range cMlas. I just charge while my lasers are firing or as I am turning onto target. It adds 15pts of direct fire PP damage for almost no heat and the clan version is 12tons.

Fun fact, I recently got a better ISP and my ping has gone from from 115 to 80. Guess what, I now get more gauss explosions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users