Cataphract 4X. What Am I Supposed To Do With This Thing?

48 replies to this topic

#41 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:29 AM

2 ac10's and 2mpl with a std 255. JMO.

or with Ferro put an LPL in place of the 2 MPL.

#42 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostKuaron, on 25 October 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

After the loyalty CTF I am thinking about what other two to get for mastering it.
Before I was thinking about getting the CTF-4X and playing the 2UAC5+2AC5 build. But this thread is, somehow, a tiny bit discouraging.
Are the other ones significantly better?
I know the 3D is regarded a good b/c of JJ, but I don't particularly like JJ.

I have the 1X, 2X, 0XP, and the 3L, just so we're clear here and have mastered the first three. I've yet to drop in my 3L.

If I were going to suggest a pair to buy, it'd be the 1X and the 0XP. Reason? High mounted hardpoints for energy on the 1X with the ability to still carry a ballistic along with decent structure quirks. You can outfit it in a number of ways to suit your preferred style. The 0XP makes for a good brawler with an AC/20, 4x MPL or ML, and the ECM. Put in a 300 engine and you can boogie quite well.

The 2X is highly capable as well and makes for a good brawler. I usually run an AC/20, 3x ML, and SRM4 + SRM6 in the arm. Solid alpha power in that capacity but hampered by the low mounting points. Gotta make your shots count.

#43 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

Thx. Now I obviously only have to choose one. ^^
So the choice is to be met between 0XP, 2X and maybe 3D.
The latter both have high laser mounts, as you praise the 1X for, and the 2X even good quirks, as well.
So why recommending the 1X over them? And what would you recommend of the listed ones – the 0XP for ECM?

#44 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Take the 3D for the jump jets - but be aware that there is a reason you don't see the Cataphract much around the battlefield (other than people skilling up the loyalty variant.)

#45 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

Honestly, I don’t see the reason. The 4X, which is apparently so bad that it got a proper thread, performs quite well as described above.
Against the 3D is speaking that with the 4X I already have a ballistic-heavy variant.

#46 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

We llllllllll... I umm...2ml... Dual Gauss and 5 tons ammo with... xl250 ( cause I'm cheap) and no other upgrades xD

I thought I'd figure something better but even the top build just didn't click. Though it feels more appropriate then a technically superior IM with the Gauss rifles for some demented reason. Maybe it's the limited engine size.... Can't really get much more then a 300 in an IM without starting to sacrifice other equipment. It works as a cheap scrap Mech for me anyway.

#47 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostKuaron, on 15 November 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

The latter both have high laser mounts, as you praise the 1X for, and the 2X even good quirks, as well.
So why recommending the 1X over them? And what would you recommend of the listed ones – the 0XP for ECM?

I prefer the 1X over the 2X due to the high mounts, the better ballistic buffs, and slightly better energy ones as well. I'm aware that the 2X has the high mounts as well, but you also sacrifice an energy in the arm; however, you do gain two missile hardpoints in the opposite arm if that's your think (not really mine). Also, the 1X was the one I started with and perhaps due to that it has an intrinsic value to me personally.

The 0XP is nice for the ECM but it is hampered largely by the energy hardpoints being solely in the arms. I don't necessarily find this to be too huge a deal since I use mine as a scout brawler/shield to support missile carriers. It's all up to your style and the map, really. I like them all for different reasons.

#48 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostKuaron, on 15 November 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

I have the 0XP and the 3D. For me, the 0XP with the AC 20 is a bit more fun than my 3D, which mounts 2x UAC5 and 4MedLas. (yes yes, not optimized, meh).
Don't get me wrong - the UAC5 jamming quirk is pretty badass, and can do decent DPS. Pick your spot and unload on a target, reposition, stick with the pack. Laugh like an orky lunatic as your UAC5 cannons send slugs downrange... loudly.
That said, the 0XP is much more about being in the right place at the right time to use your limited ammo. If you can swing it, the burst damage is greatly cathartic. The ECM is a godsend as well.

Really, it depends on what you want out of the game play.

Edited by ScottAleric, 15 November 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#49 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hi there Sidefire, well most of the guys did suggest the meta setups or just an other variant of the CTF-4X. Never thought to go a bit more lore friendly ? Who knows , maybe you would do well with a more mixed load out.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5540a29c87c5f20

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users