A Few Tips For Executioner

7 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:24 AM

This is just a small tip i want to share. Though with my limited experience, hopefully this finds use for anyone. This is not a complete guide, nor it's the definitive way to handle the Executioner, it's just how i managed to use it best, using this build http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e84dc27e0c1687, best modules are Radar Deprivation, and Seismic Sense.

> MASC is for jump-starting movement first, for sprinting second, and denying yourself third.

Assaults generally have an awful handling, but not Executioner. Your MASC, literally the sprint of MWO, you can briefly outrun the Timber Wolf. But as i played it, i found it a lot more useful in being able to accelerate quickly -- when there's a Dakka Kodiak on the other side that peekabooed you face to face, just MASC and reverse calmly. MASC is a really amazing tool for reactivity. However, you can use it to reposition quickly with long sprints should you have plenty of time to do so.

Should death is inevitable, just hold the MASC and die on your own hands, at least these people won't have the satisfaction of killing you.

> Play as a mobile PPCs sniper

The Executioner has high-mounted energy hard-points, the EXE-D RT has 2, EXE-C LT has 1, and because of this you can mount PPCs, or even just plain ER-LL or LPLs, if you're hill-humping, you can hit most you of can see with a little less clearance. I however, frown upon the lasers, because they prolong your face-time, while it's possible i wouldn't recommend it.

While you have armor that you can use to shield your group, and rightly so, you should join your team, but you're only a bit more tankier than a Heavy, but less tankier than assaults like Kodiak, with less pod-space and tonnage that prevents you from having immense DPS dakka builds like Kodiaks or Direwolves, you cannot stare them to death. Your armor is simply there to make you survive long enough to do enough damage, with several more slight mistakes than slower assaults, but not big ones.

Remember to always keep moving, generally you need to relocate every after few shots, always after 1 - 3 shots, use MASC to semi-poptart, as you can quickly return to cover with your insane acceleration with MASC. But likewise, keep reasonably close to your team.

Before engaging, remember to briefly wait to have a few amount of leeway in the gauge, so you won't hit red when you're quickly backing away.

> Use Override Shutdown

This prevents you from shutting down with overheating. Reliably on the Alpine Peaks, you can shoot your 2x PPCs about 6 times before overheating.

Yes, you can die with overheating, with enough damage to your CT, or head, likewise crippled without legs, but you need your mobility when you do. You can take a few points of damage in your internal structure, but being shutdown while face to face with a Dakka Kodiak, Dakka Wolf, Space Whale, or the entire enemy platoon is just a lot more unhealthy. Simply put, you have better chance of survival when you can literally move away from your compromised position or heat-gauge, than when you shut down smack-dab in the middle of everybody.

Just have the discipline to know NOT to shoot when your heat-gauge is literally sore from all of that shooting, unless you plan on suiciding.

> Arm Shield and Torso Twist!

A general tip really, it's not even exclusive to the Executioner. But it's one of the few omnimechs that have a humanoid physique, that is able to make use of arm-shielding, as well as it has fairly fast torso-twist speed. Seriously, use them! Remember to always unlock your arms. If you are doing the build like mine, above, remember to always arm-shield every shot while quickly backing away to cover with your MASC active, also use the vestigial arm.

> Jump Jets for the win!

For places like Canyon Network, JJs are your trump card, remember to keep moving, and use the elevated positions to your advantage. Don't be afraid to fall from heights like HPG Manifold, if you are under duress, just fall down and use Jump Jets to slow your fall. You can also pop-tart with this, use jumpjets to briefly lift you over a cover, stop JJing to fall and calm your reticule, shoot when the reticule is stable, and the resulting fall will quickly hide you back. While it is possible, it's JJs aren't necessarily powerful enough for a fast ascend and you're better off using MASC for a semi pop-tart.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 October 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#2 laksarath

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:41 AM

been playing atound with the EXE since winning one in the last event too

I find that MASC definately helps with poking,
but poking in general at sniper distances in an assault means losing
it just takes too long to get to the front line when its needed, even with MASC.

this may just be because im terrible with assaults, but find that I cant control the engagement distance enough to use small lasers. they always run away and start poking.

playing with 2 uac5s and 4 erml at the moment... feels underpowered but more fun than typical lpl and erml

#3 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

There are two way to play EXE properly.

One is to use the 3 torso energy mounts to provide mid to long range fire support with mobility which is imo a waste of armor.
The other is to use the bunch of energy mounts in the arms to brawl with cSPL/cERSL, at this MASC excels btw, so does the large engine in the EXE.

I don't think mixing both styles is a good thing, not in EXE not in any other mech. Pick a role and do it well, jack of all trades tends to be jack of all losses.

#4 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

Asymmetrical Gauss/dual PPC is my favorite build right now, though I have had good results with stuff like 2xUAC5 5xERML as well. Lots of shielding and MASC usage will keep you alive, just be sure to crit pad the left torso a little with DHS if possible to avoid losing MASC to an early crit.

UAC10, 6xERSL and 2xSRM6 can be fun too for more brawling. Basically anytime you're using most of the EXE-D omnipods you're in good shape lol.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 19 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostBrizna, on 17 October 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

There are two way to play EXE properly.

One is to use the 3 torso energy mounts to provide mid to long range fire support with mobility which is imo a waste of armor.
The other is to use the bunch of energy mounts in the arms to brawl with cSPL/cERSL, at this MASC excels btw, so does the large engine in the EXE.

I don't think mixing both styles is a good thing, not in EXE not in any other mech. Pick a role and do it well, jack of all trades tends to be jack of all losses.

Works fine with me, that 6x ER-SL is not for brawling, it's for short-ranged emergency. Then again it's still decent with a 30 damage, with 2.25s CD, so it can brawl. But i wouldn't advise it.

Spoiler

I wouldn't say that im the best with EXE, or that's the definitive gameplay of EXE, i wouldn't say that my enemies are even the best. But my build works, and works beautifully, at least for me and my style.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 October 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#6 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Exe is my favourite mech. I am surprised that you endorse a PPC build, and will give it a go. But PPCs with spalsh damage and low velocity underwhelm me - maybe I am a bad shot.

But, my view with the exe is that it doesn't have the pod space to be a ranged mech. There are heavies with more space, and, oddly enough a hunchback IIC can probably fit more weapons in with it. The PPC build seems to have a low damage / high tonnage ratio, and not really maximise the strengths of the chassis.

It plays like a medium (in bursts) except with enough armour that it can soak the alpha of most assaults in the game. Hence the best place for it, in my view, is leading an assault, backed up by mediums. MASC probably makes it a viable laser-vomit / ballistic poker as well.

For me it is UAC20 and 6SPL all the way. Time your assault, lead the push, remember that MASC means you can torso twist super quick as well, which really helps with spreading damage. So hit with an alpha, twist, spread damage, and attract the attention of the opponents while your mediums and heavies deal extra damage.

Modules: Rad Dep / Ad Seismic Sensor (or Cool shot boost, you will get hot), SPL cooldwon, Spl range.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

View PostBassie, on 26 November 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Exe is my favourite mech. I am surprised that you endorse a PPC build, and will give it a go. But PPCs with spalsh damage and low velocity underwhelm me - maybe I am a bad shot.

I'm more of a fan with Pin-point front-loaded damage. Lasers just have too much face time.

View PostBassie, on 26 November 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

But, my view with the exe is that it doesn't have the pod space to be a ranged mech. There are heavies with more space, and, oddly enough a hunchback IIC can probably fit more weapons in with it. The PPC build seems to have a low damage / high tonnage ratio, and not really maximise the strengths of the chassis.

Except in my smurfy build i just did that.

#8 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:47 AM

I found good results with 2 large pulse 6 Er mediums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users