My Direwolf Builds

9 replies to this topic

#1 Skycaptain987

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:11 AM

Hi Mechwarriors,

Just thought I'd share my DWF builds. I love this 'mech. Although I'm not terribly good with it. It was the first 'mech I bought because I used to love it in MW4. Unfortunately the build I used to run on MW4 doesn't work here, but hey-ho, it's fun anyway. It may be important to add that I do play PUG Q.

First up: DWF-S

DWF-S

Just for walking up and smashing face. Works best when you hang back and when the enemy are a bit beaten up, you walk in and smash them apart. Not so great against enemy assaults with full armour, though.

You can also run it with SRM6s with less ammo/heatsinks but I prefer the SRM4s with their smaller spread.

Secondly: DWF-Prime

DWF-PRIME

This is a more general build. Does pretty well at most ranges and find the LRMs pretty useful. It doesn't have any lasers as backup though, so ammo may become a problem late game. However, you could drop the LRMs and go for a Dakka/laser build.

Lastly: DWF-B

DWF-B

Bt of an ugly duckling, but I couldn't really think of a build I hadn't done yet already and I don't like laser boating so, this happened.

(The armour values are off on these links because it is a massive ball ache to adjust evey part manually)

Just wanted to see what you lot thought.

Cheers

'Cap

#2 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:37 AM

You putting way to much back armor then needed. Back shouldnt be higher then 1 digit on any mech. My ebj has more front armor then your dire.

#3 Skycaptain987

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Like I said: the armour values are off on the smurfy links. I can't be bothered to change them every time for every build.

Normally I have 8 or 10 back armour.

#4 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Sorry, I cant say I am a fan of any of those mechs.

But what ever works for you bro, happy hunting

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

First one is ok, I am not fond of the idea of a close range DWF though. They are not fast enough to close and incredibly slow to bring their weapons on target.

2nd one, while not meta is probably the best of the bunch. I think you could use more UAC10 ammo though. Maybe consider down-gunning to LRM10s (which in general perform better anyways) in order to free up some tonnage.

3rd one I do not like at all. It does not seem to know what it wants to be.

#6 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Just FYI, you can easily change the armor values on Smurfy by clicking on the armor button right next to the engine/heatsinks button. After hitting that button, you can type out the armor values you want. In terms of the builds, I feel like they don't really have a purpose behind them. I understand that in a more "realistic" situation it would be good to have variety in the weapons you have, in order to engage multiple threats, but in MWO it's about maximizing a specific weapon system or role. So, for example, even though your first mech is designed for CQB, it really has too many disparate weapon systems to function optimally. Take out the SRM's, add some ammo for the LBX, and upgrade to medium pulses if you can. The 2nd build doesn't need the LRMs. Using LRM's with auto cannons is difficult and ineffective. They are two very different weapon systems. The last build I'm certain would be extremely difficult to work with. The range profiles on all the weapons just don't match up. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I've played over a thousand games in assault mechs alone, and I've played enough games in Dire Wolves to know that I would struggle making those builds work (I hate the Dire Wolf. Much more of an IS assault pilot myself.... Except the Kodiak, that's my guilty pleasure.). Your mileage may vary, but there is a reason you see 6 UAC dire whales, and Dire Stars, and Space Whales. They are just the most effective builds.

#7 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

eww, all those slow ballistic guns on a DWF...

when you think DWF you should think of the thunder of 1000RPM auto cannons
(yea, when I did the math I laughed... it is actually 1000RPM, that's just terrifying)

also has 10 ERSL for when the ammo runs out and occasional just shooting someone in the face when they get too close

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...06d276f0fad4d42

Edited by maimaimi, 30 September 2016 - 06:08 AM.

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hope this helps, but your builds are all over the place.

The main builds for Dires are all-in Dakka or Gauss-vomit.

Dakka can be:

6UAC2
5UAC5
6UAC5
3UAC5+2UAC10(best interms of DPS and avoiding Ghost heat without a Macro)

Gauss vomit is a combo of dual Gauss + 2 or 3LPL+ 3 or 4 ERML
The main question is rather to put the Gauss in the arms for more reach? A bit more survivability due to no gauss in STs.
Or same-side ST and Arm to have the other side to dead-side shield with.

your build with the 2Gauss+UAC20 is short on ammo and a Gauss in each ST is a Crit Risk which reduces your survivability via Gauss explosions.

#9 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d8270e692be98a

its my current model, it is beautiful, it is death.
So far I have averaged 3 kills per match reliably. I just walk in and start clearing house, as long as you are not all alone the ability to completely blind your enemies with UAC2 spam makes it pretty much unstoppable. Once armour is gone the bonus crit of the ac2 shreds the hull in seconds. It runs cold btw, never overheats unless it has to use the small lasers.

#10 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

My most recent Direwolf Prime.

http://[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4054f7e7409deb9[/smurfy]

Add a medium laser range module to get them to get closer to the large pulse range. The you can shoot all the lasers at once and then follow with the lbx-10s or save the lbx fire for when mechs are opened or you are over heating. Positioning is your only concern, but that's like any other assault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users